Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Maybe try actually reading my post before engaging apeshit mode, hmm?
    did read your whole post and responded in kind to your statements, sorry you don't like them but you'll live.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Curious about India
    I hope their wishful thinking comes true.

They put their lockdown in on 4 hours notice. That lead to millions of people (literally millions) who had to walk home to their villages from Dehli, hundreds of miles away because their daily income dried up.
    So if the disease got into Dehli and spread a little and then all those people dispersed they are fucked. I hope that isn't the case.
    Also, they are a population of 1.3 billion and have done 300k tests. It's safe to say they are flying blind at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    France +17k cases today O_O
    I've been exchanging mails with a colleague from Lyon, he tells me that many hospitals are so swamped that they don't bother telling the authorities their numbers every day, they just send out the collected numbers once a week or so. If you look at the daily increase of Frances numbers, they had a tremendous spike a week or so ago, with 25k cases reported in one day.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I've been exchanging mails with a colleague from Lyon, he tells me that many hospitals are so swamped that they don't bother telling the authorities their numbers every day, they just send out the collected numbers once a week or so. If you look at the daily increase of Frances numbers, they had a tremendous spike a week or so ago, with 25k cases reported in one day.
    Yeah seems like it's cases from early April.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    did read your whole post and responded in kind to your statements, sorry you don't like them but you'll live.
    Sure you did. Why don't you re-read this line and repeat that sentiment.
    The point is that while none of the above are literally essential, they ostensibly provide enough benefit to offset their respective risks.
    I dumbed it down for you, so hopefully you won't mistake the message again.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine protesting stay at home measures. Maybe the real virus is humanity?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Sure you did. Why don't you re-read this line and repeat that sentiment.

I dumbed it down for you, so hopefully you won't mistake the message again.
    Really do you really want to go over point by point how you pontificated about something without realizing what you actually said?

ostensibly: apparently or purportedly, but perhaps not actually.

You basically contradicted yourself while trying to make a point but used a word that gives no definitive stance or point. That is why I posted what I did to help you actually pick one or the other. Trying to get you to understand why some people have actually picked a definitive position on essential or not.

But hey, I guess being perfect is not essential right now....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Imagine protesting stay at home measures. Maybe the real virus is humanity?
    Let them get their way, just like the people who wanted to go to church
    Put their names down
    When they need care tell them to gtfo.

Who cares if they want to risk their own lives, but when they put others in danger they should be locked up or refused service.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a lot more of them then we thought.

https://zap.aeiou.pt/descobertas-sei...orcegos-318969 (google translated)
    Six new coronavirus strains discovered in bats

A team of scientists discovered six new strains of coronavirus in bats in Myanmar, revealed a new investigation, the results of which were recently published in the scientific journal PLOS ONE.

Experts from the Global Health Program at the Smithsonian Institution in the United States discovered the new strains in three bat species: the Greater Asia yellow bat (Scotophilus heathii); the free-tailed bat (Chaerephon plicatus) and the Horsfield leaf-nosed bat (Hipposideros larvatus).

In all, eleven species of these mammals were analyzed.

Although they belong to the same family as the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which originated the covid-19 pandemic, scientists believe, according to the new study published this Thursday, that the six types of coronavirus now discovered are not from a genetic point of view, closely related to the strains that cause lethal diseases in humans, such as SARS, MERS or the latest SARS-CoV-2.

Scientists discovered these viruses while studying bats in Myanmar as part of PREDICT, a US-funded program to identify infectious diseases with the potential to transmit animals to humans.

The team analyzed saliva and guano samples (faeces) from eleven species of these mammals that inhabited three different locations in Myanmar between 2016 and 2018, details the science portal Live Science. In these places, humans come into direct contact with the excrement of these animals, since it is quite common to collect guano, which is then used as a fertilizer.

"Two of these sites had popular cave systems where local people were routinely exposed to bats through guano harvesting, religious practices and eco-tourism," the study reads.

Scientists stress that more research is needed to understand the potential of these newly discovered viruses to "migrate" to other species and to understand how they can affect human health.

In a statement, Suzan Murray, co-author of the study and director of the American Institute's Global Health Program, explained that there are several types of coronaviruses that are not dangerous for humans, stressing, however, that it is important to know them.

"Many types of coronavirus may not pose a risk to people, but when we identify these diseases early on in animals, at the source, we have a valuable opportunity to investigate the potential threat," he said.

"Surveillance, research and education are the best tools we have to prevent pandemics before they occur," he concluded, quoted in the same note.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Let me know when they give health insurance to their actors wrestlers.
    Actual actors? Screen Actors Guild gives you insurance. The competitors are "Contractors". Hence they can fuck them around.
    Last edited by Poopymonster; 2020-04-16 at 09:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account

Let them get their way, just like the people who wanted to go to church
    Put their names down
    When they need care tell them to gtfo.

Who cares if they want to risk their own lives, but when they put others in danger they should be locked up or refused service.
    Except these people then go to the grocery store, the gas station, the pharmacy. They go to their doctor "for a cold". They get essential workers sick, who then pass it on to others It's the same issue with anti-vaxxers in that they become vectors and get other people sick. And we're talking a virus that's mostly silent until it hits you a ton of bricks.

You can't just the stupid be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post

Well, so far, not that many people have actually looked into Coronaviruses, relative to other diseases. Most people have never heard of it until 2020 unless they caught it or knew someone who caught it. Most people are also unaware that both SARS and MERS were caused by Coronaviruses. This is why many in the world of virology actually pushed for prevention and research into them. Most people aren't aware that we suffer deaths from them every year, they just get rolled into the flu deaths, despite the fact that they aren't actually influenza viruses. And why should they? The symptoms are very similar, the treatment is basically the same. So why bore patients with the details? Very few even ask. When you tell them that their health issues were caused by coronaviruses they either don't care or ask 'what, like the beer?' And that's it.

I'd like to add that I don't see a problem with that. Very few people are medical professionals, and they don't bother to know the details. Many even don't want to, because medicine and your own mortality are one of the scariest things you'll ever face, if not the scariest. Most people don't want to think about it. Be honest, how much time a day do you spend thinking about your health, if nothing ails you? Not an accusation. Just something to ponder. You don't want to. It's a defense mechanism. Because if you were constantly thinking about what might be 'wrong' with your health you'd go insane.

Virologists have been humming a different tune, though. Warnings that this virus might actually be rather impactful on humankind were there. They just didn't get that much attention, because, well, the story doesn't sell all that well.

"So, what does this virus do?" You list the symptoms. "So, it's basically a flu?" Basically no, not at all, the symptoms are just... "How high is the mortality?" "We don't know, but rather low. It might be dangerous to people with preexisting...." "So, like the flu. Why is it supposed to be dangerous if it's just a flu?" "It's not just a flu, and one of the biggest dangers is that we have nor preexisting immunity like with most strains of influenza..." "So we develop a vaccine, what's the big deal?" "Well, developing a vaccine takes months, if not years." "So we treat the sick in hospitals! Big whoop!" "Without preexisting immunity, this might spread very fast, if we assume..."
    This, at the latest, is when the public tunes out. When you start pulling models and numbers, the majority stops listening. And why wouldn't they, when they get constantly bombarded with terrifying news about terrorists that are out to get you, violence from right-wing extremists, new forms of cancer, Aids, global warming, air pollution, and so on. Why care about a god damn flu virus? Well, look outside. That's why.

Attention spans of the average citizen in the 'first world' are way to short to realize what a huge difference there actually is inbetween an influenza- and a coronastrain. And where there is no interest, there is no awareness. Where there is no awareness, there is no attention from politicians, and without that, no funding for research. What do you think sells better, a proposal to study cancer, or a proposal to study a disease that's "harmless" to 99.7% of the population? Because that's also something that people tend to do, just look at mortality. The ordeal someone can go through is completely ignored. Screw two weeks of being in a medical ventilator, you're alive, stop your bitching.

What do you think politicians back? Or private individuals with money? "Yes, I've been collaborating with top researchers into all forms of cancer treatment!" YAAAY! "I've been investing into research into Corona-viruses..." "What, like the beer?"
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2020-04-16 at 09:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post

That article is a bit sensationalized. If you don't read it and understand there are many ''coronaviruses" then it seems like they are talking about six more COVID19s. What we call the' common cold'is several different coronaviruses.

COVID19 went undetected for a while because it was first speculated as 'one of the many viruses already out there ". So the article could really mean something or nothing.

Most viruses are not deadly because dead hosts mean you can't spread.

Researchers were hoping COVID19 would become less lethal, but COVID19 is better at spreading than a lot of viruses because of ability to live outside the body and remain dormant than it's cousins.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Actual actors? Screen Actors Guild gives you insurance. The competitors are "Contractors". Hence they can fuck them around.
    I think that was the point. The WWE fucks over most of its talent with shit like calling them 'contactors' while the 'contractors' put their health on the line.

I think that was the point. The WWE fucks over most of its talent with shit like calling them 'contactors' while the 'contractors' put their health on the line.
    It is the norm though. That's how boxing works, the UFC etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    It is the norm though. That's how boxing works, the UFC etc.
    Not Equatable, WWE Wrestlers put their body in much more stress then Boxers and UFC fighters much more often.

Some Wrestlers are also paid to get a beating by taking the fall etc...
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Not really....
    Goalpost moving. Now we are trying to compare it to a 10 year time span huh? Its worse then some flu seasons. My statement is correct and you just reaffirmed it. Some of them were as low as 12 thousand deaths and this virus has already far passed that.

Theres a protest set here in STL on Tuesday for the stay at home order. My uncle also thinks we should re-open the economy. Honestly, i've written him off as an idiot at this point. Hes one of the ones who thinks that we can just re-open the economy and that this'll be fine.

People don't understand crap. Sure, re-open it. Watch it completely fall and crumble when you have so many people in Every hospital that taking care of them isn't possible. Thus, No one will be working.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

15+ Year Old Account
    Is there any information out there on HOW you die from Covid-19?
    I know it causes pneumonia, but there's basically no information on how you die from it.
    Do you like, lie on the bed gasping for air until you can't?
    Or do you just fall into a coma/pass away due to a lack of oxygen and then die?

10+ Year Old Account
    Really do you really want to go over point by point how you pontificated about something without realizing what you actually said?

ostensibly: apparently or purportedly, but perhaps not actually.

You basically contradicted yourself while trying to make a point but used a word that gives no definitive stance or point.
    Lol, I know exactly what "ostensibly" means; I'm the one who used it. And it was a very specific and well thought out choice of word. As was my use of the word "literal", of which you seemingly don't understand the meaning.

I considered using the more definitive phrase "they provide enough benefit to offset their respective risk," but I don't personally agree with that sentiment on all the listed examples. Restaurants and electronics stores I have no problem with. Craft stores are more dubious; the premise of needing to stay open in order to provide supplies for making masks is borderline ridiculous, but whatever. But I don't think sporting goods stores really have an extant justification for being even figuratively essential, let alone literally essential.

So I couldn't state that phrase as if it were a fact and/or wholly representative of my personal opinion without some kind of qualifier. "Ostensible" works because it implies the precise justification that is being used without necessarily agreeing with it in all cases.

See, you're shitting the bed for all the wrong reasons, simply because you didn't get the fucking point, despite it being spelled out for you.

I never stated whether or not those places should be closed or open. In point of face, I quite clearly went out of my way to disabuse that notion:
    Look, I'm not trying to say that restaurants should close. If that's what you think then you need to re-read what I said. But they're not literally essential, even though they're labeled as "essential".

But I'll repeat again, I'm not saying those store should specifically be shut down. But they're not strictly essential.
    My point was, and still is, that once people start using the word "essential" in a figurative, rather than literal sense, it opens the door for debate on what might be considered "essential".

Nothing there is contradicted, despite your failed attempts and parsing the English language.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Considering millions of workers in the US don't have benefits, saying a group of WWE wrestlers who make 6 or 7 figure salaries are being "fucked over" is being a bit melodramatic. This article explains a lot of the tradeoff.

This is all a bit off topic though. it comes down to how much risk is acceptable. This is going to apply to every job soon. Want to start re-opening the economy? Basically every business / sector is going to have a risk assessment done, and then a judgement call. That minimum wage worker with no health benefits might have to go back to work and risk getting infected.

At least the wrestler can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    Considering millions of workers in the US don't have benefits, saying a group of WWE wrestlers who make 6 or 7 figure salaries are being "fucked over" is being a bit melodramatic. This article explains a lot of the tradeoff.
    LMAO those high figures are only for the most Popular Wrestlers written into the Script.
    That Article is a Joke and spewing Anti-Union propaganda.

At least the wrestler can afford it.
    Most of them CAN'T and have LIFE LONG HEALTH ISSUES WITH NO HEALTH INSURANCE that effect them because of what WWE wants them to do.

The Rest get treated like Low Wage Workers.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-04-16 at 10:53 PM.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Is there any information out there on HOW you die from Covid-19?
    I know it causes pneumonia, but there's basically no information on how you die from it.
    Do you like, lie on the bed gasping for air until you can't?
    Or do you just fall into a coma/pass away due to a lack of oxygen and then die?
    The first way you described or multiple organ failure. Or heart attack.

Suffocation is not a nice way to die. It's painful and fucking terrifying. I have almost experienced that. Went near enough to know I don't want to experience that ever again.
    Last edited by Puupi; 2020-04-16 at 10:41 PM.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.