Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Dunno why people want a shorter game, Honestly the length shouldn't be reduced that much and I think thats immaterial to the scaling cause it has a problem that I think Bethesda did with Oblivion, all the enemies went up with you(They sorta fixed this in Skyrim mind you). They should tone down the scaling a little bit so it still feels like you are getting more powerful but not completely break every single enemy you fight.
    Amen. I for one enjoy stupidly huge RPGs that can be played for 100+ hours.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno why people want a shorter game
    I don't WANT a shorter game, but it's what we're getting so I'm trying to see the silver lining.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Dunno why people want a shorter game, Honestly the length shouldn't be reduced that much and I think thats immaterial to the scaling cause it has a problem that I think Bethesda did with Oblivion, all the enemies went up with you(They sorta fixed this in Skyrim mind you). They should tone down the scaling a little bit so it still feels like you are getting more powerful but not completely break every single enemy you fight.
    because

1. this length is almost invariably padding that drags the pace of the narrative way WAY down.
    2. I'd like to be able to play AND finish a variety of games instead of being stuck with a single game for weeks and still barely if at all finish it

Longer means nothing if the length includes mindless filler.

I would rather play a good, tightly paced 20 hour game then some 100 hour side quest grind garbo that was Odyssey. If the side quests where actually good this would be different, but like I said before Ubisoft padding is never good. You can't make a good 100 hour AAA game on a 3 year dev cycle. Ubisoft is much more suited to their older model of 15-20 hour game that can be padded out to 50+ with mindless collectibles if people want to. Not that garbage that was Odyssey and to a lesser degree Origins which forced you to do a good portion of that weaker designed side content just to progress the main story.

Odyssey had a lot of padding. I don't just mean side quests, I mean even the main quest had loads of just going around finding information on or for people, acting as little but ways to block the story's progress and give excuses as to why you visit region X or talk to famous Greek figure Y. The middle part of the game especially just drags on and on, things pick up towards the end but if Valhalla can get rid of the boring parts I'll be pleased. There really is something to be said for more focus in games that rely on their story to a fairly significant degree.

Looks like were getting the story/folklore of Beowulf as part of the season pass, they also say that other characters from Scandinavian folklore could make an appearance in the main game.

https://www.pcgamer.com/legend-of-be...a-season-pass/
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Looks like were getting the story/folklore of Beowulf as part of the season pass, they also say that other characters from Scandinavian folklore could make an appearance in the main game.

https://www.pcgamer.com/legend-of-be...a-season-pass/
    Only Ubisoft would have DLC plans slipping through the cracks before they even show actual gameplay of the game.

Speaking of showing gameplay, Ubisoft are doing a digital mass-reveal stream thing on July 12th. No way Valhalla won't be represented there.

Vikings TV show composer working on the Assassin's Creed Valhalla score

"Composer and musician Einar "Kvitrafn" Selvik uses traditional Norse instruments in his band Wardruna"

https://www.pcgamer.com/vikings-tv-s...alhalla-score/

The sequel to the vikings tv show will also be called Valhalla btw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Speaking of showing gameplay, Ubisoft are doing a digital mass-reveal stream thing on July 12th. No way Valhalla won't be represented there.
    Yeah they do say this so pretty sure we will get some acual gameplay there.

The Assassin's Creed Valhalla 'gameplay reveal' shown during the last Xbox livestream was a letdown, but Ubisoft will be putting on its own E3 conference-like show in July, which is where we should get a better look at it.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2020-05-12 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Vikings TV show composer working on the Assassin's Creed Valhalla score

"Composer and musician Einar "Kvitrafn" Selvik uses traditional Norse instruments in his band Wardruna"

https://www.pcgamer.com/vikings-tv-s...alhalla-score/

The sequel to the vikings tv show will also be called Valhalla btw.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah they do say this so pretty sure we will get some acual gameplay there.

The Assassin's Creed Valhalla 'gameplay reveal' shown during the last Xbox livestream was a letdown, but Ubisoft will be putting on its own E3 conference-like show in July, which is where we should get a better look at it.
    I mean its not really that it was a let down, it was just a down right lie. It was prerecorded in engine cut scenes. If it was called in engine preview trailer, nobody would have cared. Then again we have companies like EA prerecording shit like athem before the dev even know what they are working on lol. So i guess this is not the worse trailer lie out there.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    I mean its not really that it was a let down, it was just a down right lie. It was prerecorded in engine cut scenes. If it was called in engine preview trailer, nobody would have cared. Then again we have companies like EA prerecording shit like athem before the dev even know what they are working on lol. So i guess this is not the worse trailer lie out there.
    True and they got some shit for it well a shit ton of dislikes on the vid but still and even the director said it was a letdown.

But yeah it was a joke calling it a gameplay reveal trailer.

Let's just hope we get some proper open world roaming gameplay in july.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2020-05-12 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    because

1. this length is almost invariably padding that drags the pace of the narrative way WAY down.
    2. I'd like to be able to play AND finish a variety of games instead of being stuck with a single game for weeks and still barely if at all finish it
    Yeah, sorry. But that's your choice to do all the side content. You can just drive story missions if you want. But Odyssey was one of my favorite games of all time, and it did a great job of bringing to life a large segment of greek history.

I'm sorry that you think the game was too big, or too whatever. But the game, honestly, felt like a large open world for me to explore and live in. If they chop Valhalla down, I'll feel like I got less for my money, especially since they couldn't even name the characters two different fucking names.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    But Odyssey was one of my favorite games of all time, and it did a great job of bringing to life a large segment of greek history.
    If there isn't a viking version of Sokrates and his missions I'm gonna be sad. Those were some of the most delightful cutscenes in Od, even if he was an obnoxious shit most of the time. If he was anything less I would have been disappointed.

Yeah, sorry. But that's your choice to do all the side content. You can just drive story missions if you want. But Odyssey was one of my favorite games of all time, and it did a great job of bringing to life a large segment of greek history.

I'm sorry that you think the game was too big, or too whatever. But the game, honestly, felt like a large open world for me to explore and live in. If they chop Valhalla down, I'll feel like I got less for my money, especially since they couldn't even name the characters two different fucking names.
    Agreed. I want AC: Valhalla to be huge. I want to explore Scandinavia(Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Faroe Isle, even Greenland). The imagination sets the bar here cause the vikings really did travel around alot. Theres alot to take in if they want, not just what they did in England.

I loved Odyssey to. I still play it from time to time. Love it.

main. missions. were. full. of. filler. as well. it wasn't just side missions. I started ignoring those daily/weekly repeatable objectives on a second day of playing the game. I enjoyed the setting and the characters, but the amount of padding was completely and utterly unnecessary and IMO was detrimental to the flow of the narrative and the world building. for me at least - if I play a game for 30 hours but get to genuinely enjoy it and finish it - i got my moneys worth. if the game is so long and padded that the only thing i have to show for it is time played and I still lose interest before i get anywhere near the ending? waste of money. quality over quantity. but that's me.

main. missions. were. full. of. filler. as well. it wasn't just side missions. I started ignoring those daily/weekly repeatable objectives on a second day of playing the game. I enjoyed the setting and the characters, but the amount of padding was completely and utterly unnecessary and IMO was detrimental to the flow of the narrative and the world building. for me at least - if I play a game for 30 hours but get to genuinely enjoy it and finish it - i got my moneys worth. if the game is so long and padded that the only thing i have to show for it is time played and I still lose interest before i get anywhere near the ending? waste of money. quality over quantity. but that's me.
    I couldn't agree more. As cool as it sounds to change the rulers of Greek by helping Sparta/Athens in the war, it was completely redundant and just there for farming materials and gear. Which you needed constantly to upgrade your chosen equipment (that you didn't change once you had your set).

Boat fights got repetitive fast, and upgrading the ship was just another grind to slow you down by creating the illusion that you HAVE to upgrade everything. During my second run i did as few upgrades as possible to the Adrestia until i got to Merc level 4 for that 50% discount only to discover that you don't need those upgrades. Just upgrade the hull till you have 4 leutnants, and decent fire arrows, pay attention and board ships (no splitting). Saves you days of grind to not go for a 'perfect' ship.

Personal gear is the same. Choose a playstyle, go for the set, sell/disassemble everything else, and you should never run out of mats for upgrades.

Personally i could have done with less filler and more 'meat'. Other games are/were better at creating this illusion of choice that, in just about every instance in Odyssey, made no difference ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still want a long game and less filler stuff and I know AC usually has that stuff in abundance so I'm not surprised. The longest things to me were sailing between place to place, it felt just a little too much of a drag.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Well, we're getting hidden blade instant kills again. Hoping that just means all stealth kills, because that's one thing I really didn't like about the last game. If you didn't build around stealth/assassination damage then you were basically never going to kill something with a surprise attack.

But I can kinda get why...being able to one-shot so many things while still rocking a combat focused build would have really trivialized a LOT of the encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Well, we're getting hidden blade instant kills again. Hoping that just means all stealth kills, because that's one thing I really didn't like about the last game. If you didn't build around stealth/assassination damage then you were basically never going to kill something with a surprise attack.

But I can kinda get why...being able to one-shot so many things while still rocking a combat focused build would have really trivialized a LOT of the encounters.
    I went with a full assassination build and absolutely destroyed stuff. The Hero Strike ability is based off stealth damage so I just stealth attacked, which normally killed pretty much everything with my gear and stats, and if it didn't I went with a fully loaded Hero Strike which did the rest. I poked at things from range while it went on cooldown, and then used it again on things that, for whatever reason, still weren't dead yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

I mean, it's not like the game was well balanced in the first place. Archer builds were ridiculous and could oneshot tough enemies through walls. Even as a slapdashed warrior/assassin hybrid the game was quite easy on Difficult as I could smoke most enemies with Hero Strike, and between Fury of Ares's invincibility and the low cooldown self-heal I'd have to actually try to die sometimes.

If I can sneak up on some guy in a fort surrounded by flunkies, I damn well deserve to kill him in one stroke regardless of how many bagels he ate that morning to inflate his health bar. Bosses maybe excluded, of course.