Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The F-35 is the greatest tragedy since the Bradley

Jesus mary mother of christ, is this where all those trillions of defense spending go into?

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...0wWVACzQaacWtY

For those who don't know about the Bradley:

5+ Year Old Account
    Its an outdated plane designed for old outdated radars

Oh god not this crap again. Yes yes, everyone else is a retard and puppet of USA too - UK, Israel, Norway/etc. and are buying shit planes because USA demanded it. Obviously.
    /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Oh god not this crap again. Yes yes, everyone else is a retard and puppet of USA too - UK, Israel, Norway/etc. and are buying shit planes because USA demanded it. Obviously.
    /s
    "The stresses of flying at supersonic speed threaten to erode a F-35's stealth coating and damage key antennas embedded in the tail of the aircraft."

Do you mean using the plane will cause wear and tear damage that needs to be repaired? Who would have thought!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    /s
    There is a bit of quid pro quo in it for the rest of nato, if we buy for x you return contracts for y kind of thing

But no, if the plane was complete garbage then noone would buy it

We are going for A in denmark though and the article is only "sure" about b and c

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    "The stresses of flying at supersonic speed threaten to erode a F-35's stealth coating and damage key antennas embedded in the tail of the aircraft."

Do you mean using the plane will cause wear and tear damage that needs to be repaired? Who would have thought!
    It only applies to the B and C models, not the A version. Supersonic flight is not as important for the 35 in fleet use given what they will likely be tasked with.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post

Sorry, my sarcasm-O meter is broken after spending too much time on this forum. Are you being sarcastic or serious now?
    Take that haters.

Was its r&d to long and expensive? Yeah, that is probably true. Is the production costs steep? Doubt people would argue that. Did the early models have flaws? Certainly. But the plane being a piece of junk? LOL. Find me some pilots that actually want to duel against them to the death. The short line will speak for itself and most the people in that line would probably have a rifle in thier back and a picture of the wife and kids hanging out with the party secret police as a reminder to why they are in line if the rifle wasnt enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Find me some pilots that actually want to duel against them to the death. .
    Isnt the whole problem that no nation dogfights outside of maybe india and pakistan. The problems it will be used on are better suited to other tools.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Isnt the whole problem that no nation dogfights outside of maybe india and pakistan. The problems it will be used on are better suited to other tools.
    Mostly because top military powers haven't fought each other since basically WW2. Aside from places like India and Pakistan. Which is why it happens there. While it's nice to dream it will never happen anywhere else but it is also obvious to some it is best to be perpared. You are right when it comes to running over terrorist camps it has its down side and other platforms are superior (and we got those platforms too). But to rip the south China Sea from imperialist Chinese ambitions it might have a role. Again, I hope it never happens. Would be a bad day for the world. But I would rather have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhille old f-16 are still kiking asses around...

The sexiest figther jets ever made .

f-16 - Mach 2.5
    f-35 - Mach 1.5 (and they get damaged if they hit that speed, lol).

I like the a-10 warthog the most the sound that makes firing it's gun is just sexy.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Meanwhille old f-16 are still kiking asses around...

f-16 - Mach 2.5
    f-35 - Mach 1.5 (and they get damaged if they hit that speed, lol).
    Meanwhile F-16's get crapped upon because they cannot target F-35's from the distance the Lightning can, if they can see them at all unless radar finally finds something at close range. Congratulations, you are dead.
    You have to understand that Mach numbers matter mostly when flying straight. No one will dogfight with cannons at Mach 2.
    Take that haters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile F-16's get crapped upon because they cannot target F-35's from the distance the Lightning can, if they can see them at all unless radar finally finds something at close range. Congratulations, you are dead.
    You have to understand that Mach numbers matter mostly when flying straight. No one will dogfight with cannons at Mach 2.
    You mean, the same electronics that caused so much development failures, and still hasn't been tested in a real battle scenario?

Caution, i'm not denying f-35 are superior to f-16's, i'm just questioning their development.

10+ Year Old Account
    F-35's have a different practical application than most other F series fighters. IMO they should of never put a F into its name in the first place due to it have such a wide range in roles.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2020-05-14 at 04:26 PM.

In the future instead of have 1 trillion dollar program, we should just go the old way of having each branch have their own 500billion dollar program, this way there will be less so called experts writing articles about a program they clearly don't understand the scope of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    You mean, the same electronics that caused so much development failures, and still hasn't been tested in a real battle scenario?

Caution, i'm not denying f-35 are superior to f-16's, i'm just questioning their development.
    Find me a real battle scenario with jets fighting against jets nowadays. How many dogfights were there in the last decade? None? Oh, wait, can we count the 2019 skirmish in Kashmir as one at all? Will have to disagree.
    As for overall use in combat situation - it has, USA and Israel already used them back in 2018.
    P.S.
    By the same logic you could ask about F-22, which also got in action only in Syria as a bomber.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    F-35's have a different practical application than most other F series fighters. IMO they should of never put a F into its name in the first place due to it have such a wide range in roles.
    Yeah, it can be argued that they tried to stick too much into a single frame to replace what, 4 planes? No, more, F-15, F-16, F18, A-10, the Harrier and Tornado.
    Unification is nice and all but sometimes not everything is possible.
    Then again I will put the blame mostly on how the procurement in USA is run... That is a whole lot of different discussion which can take hundreds of pages.
    Take that haters.

Sorry, my sarcasm-O meter is broken after spending too much time on this forum. Are you being sarcastic or serious now?
    Sarcastic!

I'm generally always sarcastic!

10+ Year Old Account
    Find me a real battle scenario with jets fighting against jets nowadays. How many dogfights were there in the last decade? None? Oh, wait, can we count the 2019 skirmish in Kashmir as one at all? Will have to disagree.
    As for overall use in combat situation - it has, USA and Israel already used them back in 2018.
    P.S.
    Some NATO countries organise some military exercices, don't know if the US takes part in those exercices, but for the time being the best way to evaluate the performance of the f-35 are those exercices.

By the same logic you could ask about F-22, which also got in action only in Syria as a bomber.
    The f-22 isn't even closely related to the f-35. whille they both share similar concept design (to avoid radar detection) the resemblances end there. The f-22 is made out of materials able to blurr even more their radar signature, materialls like Titanium. The f-35 is made out of nothing else then just normal material, even that jet fans are normally made of titanium.

Yeah, it can be argued that they tried to stick too much into a single frame to replace what, 4 planes? No, more, F-15, F-16, F18, A-10, the Harrier and Tornado.
    Unification is nice and all but sometimes not everything is possible.
    Then again I will put the blame mostly on how the procurement in USA is run... That is a whole lot of different discussion which can take hundreds of pages.
    Multi-role fighters are the standard for most AF around the world, why do you think the F-16 had so much success? The problem is that the F-35 seems not to be able to fit the interceptor role very well.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    I like the a-10 warthog the most the sound that makes firing it's gun is just sexy.
    Right there with you!