6 13.04%
  • Left lane means no speedlimit!!

6 13.04%
  • I keep to rightlane

10 21.74%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Both people are making the situation dangerous because they have different viewpoints on safety. Are both right or is neither right? That is the question! Got in a lengthy argument about this same situation before, I'd love to hear more arguments.
    Well, the safest thing for you is to let the driver pass. That puts the most distance between the two of you in the least amount of time. It'll also keep him from engaging in more dangerous activities like passing in the oncoming lane or on the right hand shoulder.

Also, you're not the one breaking the law....he is.

And generally, it's just less stressful just letting that maniac pass you and continuing on with your day than to have him behind you honking their horn, tailgating you, looking for any opportunity to get past you, etc. And people drive better when they aren't stressed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    /RP off

In the US the specifics actually depend on the state you're in.

/RP on.
    The laws may be different...but the general safe practice guideline is to always keep right unless you are passing. Some states and "sovereign citizens" would probably consider it "tyranny" to make such a thing a law though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta go fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post

The most annoying thing I see that happens all the time around here is that I get stuck behind people who want to do like 10 below the speed limit when I'm stuck behind them on roads where I can't legally pass them, but then when we get to a section where a passing lane opens up, they suddenly want to floor it and become drag racers. Then we get through the section where I can pass them, and they drop back down. I don't get it, but people around here do it.
    Yeah, I think there are people like that everywhere.

Also, you should change your "location" to be "at least 3 seconds behind you, depending on traffic conditions" :P

I'm not stupid so I don't tailgate, I don't trust any other driver on the road. I don't always follow the speed limit though, if it's safe and clear I will drive 80-90mph quite often on roads that don't typically have speed cameras. I live in the UK though, the speed limits rarely make sense given there are some 60mph roads that are completely unsafe at that speed and some 30mph roads you could safely drive 40-60.

A lot of previously 70MPH roads are now 50mph for no apparent reason. Some roads are so wide and yet don't get a lot of traffic and 70mph feels like crawling. It's not speed that is dangerous, it's the suddenly stopping and so I use my judgement based on that.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2020-06-07 at 04:03 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Kotuthan View Post
    I never said anything about speeding. I just wrote the left lane is for passing.
    It is also for not going over the speed limit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Well, the safest thing for you is to let the driver pass. That puts the most distance between the two of you in the least amount of time. It'll also keep him from engaging in more dangerous activities like passing in the oncoming lane or on the right hand shoulder.

Also, you're not the one breaking the law....he is.

And generally, it's just less stressful just letting that maniac pass you and continuing on with your day than to have him behind you honking their horn, tailgating you, looking for any opportunity to get past you, etc. And people drive better when they aren't stressed.
    Well, one might suggest that speeding is unsafe. Disallowing someone from speeding makes the road safer, no? You might be safer letting her pass, but what about those ahead of you?

If you are in the left lane and not passing, you are breaking the law in some places. So by not allowing the person to pass, you are breaking the law. By speeding, the person behind you is. Both are breaking the law.

It is also for not going over the speed limit.
    Thank you for pointing out the obvious.

And here I was thinking for the last 20+ years that the right lane was the Mad Max lane were I got to to scream at Blood Bag to Witness me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotuthan View Post
    Thank you for pointing out the obvious.

And here I was thinking for the last 20+ years that the right lane was the Mad Max lane were I got to to scream at Blood Bag to Witness me.
    I think you've missed the discussion at hand...

Well, one might suggest that speeding is unsafe. Disallowing someone from speeding makes the road safer, no? You might be safer letting her pass, but what about those ahead of you?
    Is it safer? Now you have an angry person trapped behind you honking their horn and tailgating you. What if you have to break suddenly? They won't be able to stop in time.

If you are in the left lane and not passing, you are breaking the law in some places. So by not allowing the person to pass, you are breaking the law. By speeding, the person behind you is. Both are breaking the law.
    If you are blocking them from getting past you...they aren't speeding unless you are. So you are breaking the law...but they aren't.

Is it safer? Now you have an angry person trapped behind you honking their horn and tailgating you. What if you have to break suddenly? They won't be able to stop in time.

If you are blocking them from getting past you...they aren't speeding unless you are. So you are breaking the law...but they aren't.
    You can't control the anger of other people - that's on them.

And that's why the discussion is interesting!

You can't control the anger of other people - that's on them.

And that's why the discussion is interesting!
    Exactly my point...you can't control their anger...the only thing you can control is how you handle it...so you should make the decision that's safest for you. Which is to stay right and just let them pass.

Exactly my point...you can't control their anger...the only thing you can control is how you handle it...so you should make the decision that's safest for you. Which is to stay right and just let them pass.
    I disagree - I think it's important to think of everyone on the road. Roads are safer when people drive the speed limit.

5+ Year Old Account
    if u go over the limit u should be in prison... assholes getting people killed because they have to get somewhere a few minutes earlier...

I disagree - I think it's important to think of everyone on the road. Roads are safer when people drive the speed limit.
    Roads are also safer when drivers stick to the right lane except to pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how I should vote.

If the speed regardless to speed limit. I go no more than 5 mph over. Otherwise I stay in right lane.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Roads are also safer when drivers stick to the right lane except to pass.
    Again, that's why this is an interesting discussion. We are both correct.

Again, that's why this is an interesting discussion. We are both correct.
    Not really

One of us is promoting safe driving practices.

The other is not.

Not really

One of us is promoting safe driving practices.

The other is not.
    You are also promoting safe driving practices, don't discount yourself.

You are also promoting safe driving practices, don't discount yourself.
    Funny, but you know what I meant.

I'll put it this way

When 1 driver is speeding and another moves into or stays in the left lane to block him in...there are two unsafe drivers on the road
    When 1 driver is speeding and the other driver is staying on the right...there is only 1 unsafe driver on the road.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-06-07 at 05:54 PM.

Limit is limit.

I've been hit by a tailgating car before. Not fun.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

If 100 is the limit it's the limit. At least here in germany you can't just speed, even if it's for overtaking someone. But you are also supposed to stick to the right lane if possible, so obviously I gravitate towards it if possible (I certainly don't want to drive between two 18 wheelers).
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.