Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Open world dungeons and raids are not real dungeons and raids. Only "20%" is instanced and there's no group finder, huge pass. I want my instanced pve.
    "real" dungeons? Thats how most mmos used to work, Ultima online, anarchy online, eve and tibia to name a few all had open world dungeons you explored. Sounds like this game goes back to the roots, if thats not what you want its fine, but it is raids and dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Homo Erectus View Post
    "real" dungeons?, thats how most mmos used to work, Ultima online, anarchy online, eve and tibia to name a few all had open world dungeons you explored. Sounds like this game goes back to the roots, if thats not what you want its fine, but it is raids and dungeons.
    You can't really design them the same though, all those games had pretty light on mechanics encounters. It's like Eso's "public dungeons" they're jokes and not fun in the slightest.

Does the game even have the trinity? That's another huge thing I need.
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2020-07-20 at 03:21 PM.

Open world dungeons and raids are not real dungeons and raids. Only "20%" is instanced and there's no group finder, huge pass. I want my instanced pve.
    Funny enough that's how WoW was supposed to work. That's the only reason you had huge dungeons like BRD and Maraudon

Quote Originally Posted by Trinkie View Post
    Funny enough that's how WoW was supposed to work. That's the only reason you had huge dungeons like BRD and Maraudon
    And thank goodness they didn't, it would have been a completely different game and not interested me as much.

Does the game even have the trinity? That's another huge thing I need.
    Yes, it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    Yes, it does.
    Maybe I'll give it a shot then, doesn't look like something I'd like but when it comes out its only supposed to be a monthly fee anyway.

Wish someone would make a pure pve game with instanced dungeons and raids >.>, no pvp at all.

Maybe I'll give it a shot then, doesn't look like something I'd like but when it comes out its only supposed to be a monthly fee anyway.

Wish someone would make a pure pve game with instanced dungeons and raids >.>, no pvp at all.
    Tbf I despise PvP myself, so I can relate. However this seems more like something that's enocuraged, but not necessary to partake in. Although some of the PvP aspects look interesting enough that even I would at least give them a shot.

You'll also be happy to learn that there's a distinct anti-griefing mechanic, where players are basically categorized into 3 groups: non-combatant, combatant, and corrupt. Corrupt players are players that kill non-combatant players and get increasing punishments for it (to the point that players with high corruption have a bounty placed on them, get attacked by guard NPCs and even lose some of their GEAR when killed), with killing low level players giving far more corruption than non-combatants on your own level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    Tbf I despise PvP myself, so I can relate. However this seems more like something that's enocuraged, but not necessary to partake in. Although some of the PvP aspects look interesting enough that even I would at least give them a shot.

You'll also be happy to learn that there's a distinct anti-griefing mechanic, where players are basically categorized into 3 groups: non-combatant, combatant, and corrupt. Corrupt players are players that kill non-combatant players and get increasing punishments for it (to the point that players with high corruption have a bounty placed on them, get attacked by guard NPCs and even lose some of their GEAR when killed), with killing low level players giving far more corruption than non-combatants on your own level.
    It's more of I just want to see a game where no money is spent on pvp at all lol, even if it's not required they still have to spend funds balancing it, or attempting to (as we know you can't balance class based pvp)

Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account
    Well its a good thing they said they aren't going to balance pvp around 1v1 then. There is so many layered systems and varying classes that I think he said that would be a folly to try. That and the fact that the game emphasizes big group pvp that 1v1 is irrelevant.
    Inormally stray away from games with too much open world pvp, I like to take risks and do foolish shit in the open world. Stuff like "New World" just holds no interest to me. But this game may end up being one of my weekend games that I play to take a break from the weekly wow grind.

10+ Year Old Account
    The very big thing is that there is no goblinoid publishers to rush the product and fuck over the development since its primarily funded by the guy who listed all those systems. His pledge to maintain a very healthy degree of communication between devs and the community throughout alpha and onward is promising as well.
    I can't even imagine how that would be possible after getting used only to years of degenerate lies from Blizzard. Years of "we listen to the community" while refusing to fix and change obvious design failures that were red flagged in alpha / beta of each expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    The very big thing is that there is no goblinoid publishers to rush the product and fuck over the development since its primarily funded by the guy who listed all those systems. His pledge to maintain a very healthy degree of communication between devs and the community throughout alpha and onward is promising as well.
    I can't even imagine how that would be possible after getting used only to years of degenerate lies from Blizzard. Years of "we listen to the community" while refusing to fix and change obvious design failures that were red flagged in alpha / beta of each expansion.
    It also means it could just wind up never being released.

or it could end up like most kickstarter mmos and just never come out at all, or lacking 95% of the features promised and shut down within 1 year

Looks like every cheaply made MMO using Unreal? There's no character to it honestly. It looks like something you could play for 5 minutes and never play again.

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    or it could end up like most kickstarter mmos and just never come out at all, or lacking 95% of the features promised and shut down within 1 year
    I even mentioned this myself, but this one does have a bit more of a chance, it's a multi-millionaire's passion project, he's pumping a lot of his own money in along with crowd funding.

Those shop prices, lol. $350 for alpha access, game time and a bunch of cosmetics for a game that will probably fail like all the others? Hard Pass.

- - - Updated - - -

The World?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    The World?
    what do you mean?

Had the video in my recommendations as well. Still sounds like a game that is supposed to be like all those (VR)MMO lightnovels with all their fantastical sandbox elements, only that I very much doubt it would work in practice. I can already see how everything ends up in the hands a few players that no-life the shit out of the game where everyone else will be left with the scraps.

The sheer fact that it's a persistent world progression makes me worried. I mean why would people actually want to delevel a node other than to do a hostile take over? The people that built their house there certainly have little to no incentive. That also just means it will be terrible to join the game later and they already sell the early access. I think the convept works in a RUST or Minecraft world where I can just host/create a new world with a closed community and we can start over if we feel like it, but doing the whole persistent shtick in a sandbox while also being an MMO sounds quite awful to me.

I hope for them that they succeed, but I don't think this game will be for me. It's essentially the anti-vanilla-wow, because they tried to get rid of all the unsightly aspects in the MMO genre, this tries to bring alot of it back. The LA2 PvP system (and castles, flying, etc) is already making me nauseaus .
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I was going to say something like this - but I suppose it is down to taste. There are people who love this realistic style. And while I am more of a fan of the WoW graphics, it can go too far in the other direction and be like Wildstar. So whatever..maybe I am just a blind fanboi.

That said...some of the zones and footage shown in the youtube videos are gorgeous. But so far I only get that from the landscapes...not the "characters"

Anyways...I am curious how the gamble they take will pay off. WoW took the casual approach and thus soared above EQ and Runescape etc when it comes to ppl playing it. Ashes of Creation seems to take the opposite approach and goes hardcore. No fast travel? Flying almost limited to a Scarab Lord Title rarity? Like 10 out of 10 000 ppl...and even then it might be limited?

The 64 classes potential by choosing a first and second specc seem like a great idea. Finally ppl can be battle mages etc. But no quick specc change. You are locked in your first choice and can apparently work on changing the second class.

Also: 45 days playing 4-6 hrs daily to reach max level? (yet alts should be totally viable) - definitely hardcore and I will stay tuned how they solve the alt thing.

Not having wheelchair qol features =/= hardcore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    In 2020...yeah...but good on people if that works for them and the game becomes a huge success. I do think the 10 out of 10 000 ppl getting the opportunity to fly (and you basically invest your time to make it possible for your mayor and guild leader) isn't going to sit well with people...but hey...I keep my eyes peeled and will watch how this game develops.

The approach is definitely interesting, I like how they try to do stuff that the community asked for.

I guess you are one of the guys who are totally the target group (not sure if you would shell out the alleged 325$ for alpha access though?).

I don't really care about alpha access itself but I would like to support the project more. I was onboard with poe since beta and spent too much on the early supporter packs. I think this project has the potential to become what PoE did for arpgs showing that proper design is better than the wheelchair gaming blizzard tries to push. The narrative that people wouldn't play old schools systems that make you actually travel through the world, socialize often and a myriad of other things that create a deeper immersion and rpg feeling was proven wrong so many times. All those things don't make the game "hardcore". Can they sometimes feel tedious ? Absolutely.
    There are a few core aspects that need to be flawless in order for the project to have any chance. Combat needs to be very good, the economy needs to be healthy and a decent amount of meaningful and rewarding activities for end game. The rest is extra fluff. Sure there could be a ton of extra good stuff around but those core things need to be solid. I think combat is hardest thing to nail for them, looks like some gw2 twist so far. You can tweak and change systems all you want but if you don't have a combat that feels good it will be dead on arrival.

but if you don't have a combat that feels good it will be dead on arrival.
    It's a wonder poe has lasted as long as it has then lol. Their combat has always been..... less than stellar.