Well, America has now hit a new low. Some places are refusing to close bars. We now also have Dr. Brix saying that generational families should go so far as to wear masks inside of their own home.

Meanwhile, you have Texas governor leading the charge on dumb. Saying just two weeks ago that there will not be a shutdown. Now though, they at least have a mask mandate. Problem is, they are even urging people to wear them at home too! Which was another part of the first link.

I mean, common sense would dictate that if you're trying to tell the people of your state to wear a mask in their own homes, it might be time to shut it down. Heck, its the same line for the entire country. If people are starting to think the problem is a lack of mask wearing in their own homes, they should realize that the time to shut down is well past due. Why they continue to fight it to the point that they even want a mask at home is beyond me. Their doing more harm to the economy than good.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Well, America has now hit a new low. Some places are refusing to close bars. We now also have Dr. Brix saying that generational families should go so far as to wear masks inside of their own home.

Meanwhile, you have Texas governor leading the charge on dumb. Saying just two weeks ago that there will not be a shutdown. Now though, they at least have a mask mandate. Problem is, they are even urging people to wear them at home too! Which was another part of the first link.

I mean, common sense would dictate that if you're trying to tell the people of your state to wear a mask in their own homes, it might be time to shut it down. Heck, its the same line for the entire country. If people are starting to think the problem is a lack of mask wearing in their own homes, they should realize that the time to shut down is well past due. Why they continue to fight it to the point that they even want a mask at home is beyond me. Their doing more harm to the economy than good.
    Shutting the economy down would require the sort of public assistance that would a) be very difficult to rescind once implemented, which is why conservatives are so afraid of it, and b) demonstrate that the trickle down crony capitalist bullshit they've been pushing for the past half century is in fact a unicorn, and the only end result of their policies is mass suffering, mass death, and the rich getting even richer.

Hence the weird "half pregnant" mindset of these people believing that an economy that is destroying itself under the pressures of plague needs to be maintained at all costs to prevent it from being destroyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    The Right Wing Quack Grifting Doctors

https://www.thedailybeast.com/stella...oxychloroquine
    Sounds like Trump has found a replacement for Anthony Fauci and I wish I were joking. There was an article months ago that Trump has a list of doctors who are willing to tout whatever talking points he wants on COVID-19. The US is so fucked quack doctors, fake data, fake narrative and full steam ahead with opening back up, the crazies are in charge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Future historians are going to have a field day with this episode of the American history.
    Last edited by Cerilis; 2020-07-29 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Can someone tell me why mask rules are so weird. For example if you go watch a movie at the cinema here you have to wear a mask (I support masks so I'm cool with this). The problem is you are only required to wear the mask until you are at your seat then you can take it off.. I get that people want to eat / drink at the movies and since its like the biggest source of income for the cinema it makes sense for them.
    You answered it yourself. I agree, detailed rules are often weird.

Over here, you can now eat in restaurants (they were limited to takeaway for a few months) but all the fast food chains closed half their tables down. That already gives the few feet required. It would be required of the others as well, chains are just more compliant because they get regularly inspected anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Future historians are going to have a field day about this episode of the American history.
    It will be known as the "American't" period.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Why can't I Like forum posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    That's how it's here as well. At the same time the government also allowed restaurants that had access to public space for tables (they rent the area) to expand that area within reason and in contact with the local mayor at no extra cost. Still most places did have to lose some table space. Is that effective enough? Who knows.
    It should be enough if people weren't dumb fucks.

Like... they allow football matches at one-quarter capacity and fans sit on top of each other anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Since we are mentioning history... Juxtaposing 1917 Russia and 2016 to now US, is a fascinating adventure... you have similarities in getting us out of WW1 and get us out of Middle East... but... then... it just splits in opposite directions, with slogans remaining similar. The rise of the workers meant taking down the royal elites, while in US it means that a real estate mogul gets to risk the lives of his constituents, to get his hotels and golf courses opened, as the self proclaimed working class champion. Going from demands of workers rights, to literally removing liability of employers for working in pandemic environment.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/s...83271907725325

Rep Louie Gohmert, who just tested positive for the coronavirus, walking into Congress without a mask on. Just behind the Attorney General Bill Barr. Neither wearing masks.

Again, the US ain't fucking capable of combating a pandemic with elected and appointed behaving like this. Bonus points for Barr then spending the next few hours testifying in Congress while apparently being unable to keep his hands away from his face.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/c...244566537.html

A long-term care facility in Pennsylvania gave 205 residents hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19 without receiving proper approval from the state Department of Health, according to a report from the agency.

Hydroxychloroquine is an antimalarial drug that has been used experimentally to treat COVID-19. President Trump has promoted the drug as a way to treat the coronavirus despite concerns from some experts, at one point saying he was taking it himself daily.

According to the report, “the treatment is not currently approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for preventing a person from being infected with COVID-19.

The FDA has also said hydroxychloroquine has shown “no benefit for decreasing the likelihood of death or speeding recovery” from COVID-19. Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, told Good Morning America on Tuesday that an “overwhelming” number of studies have not found the drug can effectively treat coronavirus patients.

The Pennsylvania Department of Health completed its survey of Brighton Rehabilitation and Wellness Center on June 16 and determined that 205 of the center’s 435 residents had signed a consent form and been given hydroxychloroquine without the center receiving proper approval from the health department.

Under Pennsylvania law, experimental treatment in a nursing home is not permitted without the approval of the health department and the written approval of the resident, the report said.
    Again, America ain't ready to combat a pandemic.

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/CharlieGileNBC/s...881350144?s=19

Louie Gohmert, who just tested positive for the virus, hypothesizes that he caught the virus by...wearing a mask.

My country is run by fucking retards and we are all suffering as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Louie Gohmert, who just tested positive for the virus, hypothesizes that he caught the virus by...wearing a mask.

My country is run by fucking retards and we are all suffering as a result.
    I mean it is possible, but unlikely. A mask doesn't prevent you from getting it WHILE wearing it, it's to prevent you from spreading it. So if he was in a crowd of infected people not wearing masks but he was wearing one, he's most likely going to catch it.

Now the only way I could see him getting FROM wearing it is if he shared a mask from someone who was infected and used it first. Which with today's politics, I wouldn't put it past some as a show of "See masks don't work!" and do just that on purpose.

Edited to add: Wear the freaking mask whenever you go out!

Today, Toronto (population of roughly 6 million) recorded 1 additional case of COVID-19. Toronto as a city recorded less new cases of COVID-19 than some American baseball teams.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    Today, Toronto (population of roughly 6 million) recorded 1 additional case of COVID-19. Toronto as a city recorded less new cases of COVID-19 than some American baseball teams.
    Something something population density something something temperature something something cultural differences.

Oh right, they are all false arguments. Each of them have actually very little to do with the spread of the virus.

Hygiene, physical distancing, masks, lockdowns. Those are the tools that work. Americans (and people from some other countries as well) should finally get that through their skulls.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...a47_video.html

Again, elected officials are fucking dumb. We'll ignore his temper tantrum, but he wasn't wearing a mask when not speaking, as are the rules for the committees right now in session, and when he put it on didn't even cover his nose like it's supposed to.

The Republican party shoulders a disproportionate amount of blame for the deaths and damage the virus has done in the US. They are a big reason why we are not capable of combatting a pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    on top of that we are wasting those test on people daily, weekly...just so they can play a fucking game.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    on top of that we are wasting those test on people daily, weekly...just so they can play a fucking game.
    Wanna see some dystopian shit?

Packing the stands of sporting events with digital fans to give the appearance that athletes aren't playing in empty stadiums, all to preserve the "experience" for the TV viewing public who are watching these professionals put their health at risk every day for their entertainment.

This is functionally the fucking modern day coliseum, but at least the participants are well paid. This is the most dystopian shit I've seen in a while, and the thinking underpinning it is fucking terrifying.

[/video]

Packing the stands of sporting events with digital fans to give the appearance that athletes aren't playing in empty stadiums, all to preserve the "experience" for the TV viewing public who are watching these professionals put their health at risk every day for their entertainment.

This is functionally the fucking modern day coliseum, but at least the participants are well paid. This is the most dystopian shit I've seen in a while, and the thinking underpinning it is fucking terrifying.
    want to see something fun

https://www.mlb.com/mets/fans/cutouts/

Howard stern was throwing out the idea to buy 10,000 of these for a game and putting their best wack packer up in the seats...same person in every seat.

i'd almost give my first donation to a go fund me if they did this
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Panem et circenses indeed.

At least Baseball is a sport where athletes barely touch each other. And don't need to exert much, sorry not sorry for its fans :P
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Panem et circenses indeed.

At least Baseball is a sport where athletes barely touch each other. And don't need to exert much, sorry not sorry for its fans :P
    It's less of a problem for baseball, but seeing shit like this -

https://twitter.com/fswisconsin/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Doesn't exactly instill confidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    want to see something fun

https://www.mlb.com/mets/fans/cutouts/

Howard stern was throwing out the idea to buy 10,000 of these for a game and putting their best wack packer up in the seats...same person in every seat.

i'd almost give my first donation to a go fund me if they did this
    Cutouts sound like fun.

I don't know why you posted that video, but I found it kinda disgusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?