Shadowlands specs vs. my computer

Curious what I should expect to "lose" as a result of not meeting the full max requirements published for Shadowlands.

Here's what they are saying: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/256565

Where I miss the mark on max requirements:
    • AMD Ryzen 5 2600
    • GeForce RTX 2060, but 6GB RAM

I find it weird they are recommending an 8/16 ryzen when they cant even utilize those cores, pretty sure youll get the same performance with 2600 on wow vs 2700, they have pretty much the same ipc. 8gb vram requirement too? Do u even hit those on 8k? Hmmm i wonder if the guy making these requirements actually know computer hardware or justcopy pasted it from somewhere

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    I find it weird they are recommending an 8/16 ryzen when they cant even utilize those cores, pretty sure youll get the same performance with 2600 on wow vs 2700, they have pretty much the same ipc. 8gb vram requirement too? Do u even hit those on 8k? Hmmm i wonder if the guy making these requirements actually know computer hardware or justcopy pasted it from somewhere

they can with dx12

Quote Originally Posted by lloskka View Post
    they can with dx12
    Full 8 cores vs 6? Can u link a benchmark that can prove that? Cos if i unlock my framerate right now on dx12, it hammers at least 2 1/2 cores, threads actually, and not much more.

But i dont know, maybe they improved shadowlands multithreading better than patch 8.1, i dont have beta to test it.

EDIT: Clock speed does a lot more difference than number of cores really. It is very small difference though, i wouldnt worry about it. You can also see your cpu here @op.

Also, NO ONE should even be looking at system requirements imo if your pc is ~5 years old, i mean even a budget gaming pc with a dedicated graphics card can at least run games for the next ~5 years.
    Last edited by Yizu; 2020-08-31 at 01:12 PM.

That list is just weird. Like why does it have a gtx 1080 as recommended instead of a similar performing 2000 series card, especially when they add ray tracing support it would make more sense to have a rtx card there instead.

I don't think your setup will run noticeably worse in SL compared to now. As long as you don't put on ray traced shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Curious what I should expect to "lose" as a result of not meeting the full max requirements published for Shadowlands.

Here's what they are saying: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/256565

Where I miss the mark on max requirements:
    • AMD Ryzen 5 2600
    • GeForce RTX 2060, but 6GB RAM
    Dont use RTX effects, otherwise you should be able to run maximum settings on 1080p.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lloskka View Post
    they can with dx12
    Nah it cannot. Especially with this GPU.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Also, NO ONE should even be looking at system requirements imo if your pc is ~5 years old, i mean even a budget gaming pc with a dedicated graphics card can at least run games for the next ~5 years.
    This was my hope My PC isn't even 2 years old yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Dont use RTX effects, otherwise you should be able to run maximum settings on 1080p.
    Okay, that's in line with what my suspicion was, and I'm very okay with not having ray traced shadows.

Interestingly though, I don't think I run on max settings currently. I'll have to double check later (I've been taking a break waiting for Shadowlands so I can't recall offhand), but I think I had to tune down a couple settings a bit to make sure I don't drop below 60 frames.

Okay, that's in line with what my suspicion was, and I'm very okay with not having ray traced shadows.

Interestingly though, I don't think I run on max settings currently. I'll have to double check later (I've been taking a break waiting for Shadowlands so I can't recall offhand), but I think I had to tune down a couple settings a bit to make sure I don't drop below 60 frames.
    You WILL drop below 60fps, at least occasionally, no matter what. Even high end Intel rigs @ 5.3+ ghz still occasionally gutter below 60. Not for long, and not frequently, but it WILL happen. Just be aware. You'll certainly average well above 60. But gutters will happen occasionally regardless.

I find it weird they are recommending an 8/16 ryzen when they cant even utilize those cores, pretty sure youll get the same performance with 2600 on wow vs 2700, they have pretty much the same ipc.
    There is a thing to be said on keeping most of the game data on one CCX or CCD with Zen 1 and 2 at least. But yes 2600 is good enough for WoW. And so is an RTX 2060.

Im still rocking a 4970k + gtx970 + 8gb ram. Going smooth except for some of those huge zergs on some epic battlegrounds.

If theres 1 thing i agree on that system requirements, is using an SSD on minimum and recommended. I played it with a HDD recently and omg loading cities take forever, even the texture popins and stuttering was crazy.

You're gonna drop below 60 fps in raids regardless. That's just how WoW works.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderella View Post
    Im still rocking a 4970k + gtx970 + 8gb ram. Going smooth except for some of those huge zergs on some epic battlegrounds.
    Same but worse CPU. I play with A LOT of addons, but just turn down settings.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You're gonna drop below 60 fps in raids regardless. That's just how WoW works.
    Yeah, can't wait to get my hands on a 3080 and still struggle to stay over 60 in raids lol. 2004 engine wooo

That gtx 1080 tho. Feels very high even as a recommended graphic card.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    Yeah, can't wait to get my hands on a 3080 and still struggle to stay over 60 in raids lol. 2004 engine wooo
    I guess raid environment is more about CPU performance especially how fast IT is and not that much about amount of cores on some degree ofc but anyway ye i dont think three is a good enough CPU on market for wow raids or 40man bgs because of its (wow) bad utilization

Maybe SL will be better but i doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    The engine is mostly newer than that, though it seems parts are still pretty old. It wouldn't surprise me if it's an awful mess of fixes, improvements, and upgrades on top of a pile of legacy code in a awful tangle.

As for running it, my 5700XT is above the recommended, so I'm fine there. My Ryzen 5 3600 is also above recommended, though not by as much. WoW runs well at the moment at 1440p with everything at max, but will still drop well under 60 fps in Boralus and in BGs every so often. All those shoulder textures...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heheszek View Post
    I guess raid environment is more about CPU performance especially how fast IT is and not that much about amount of cores on some degree ofc but anyway ye i dont think three is a good enough CPU on market for wow raids or 40man bgs because of its (wow) bad utilization

Maybe SL will be better but i doubt it
    A lot of games are bad to terrible about using multiple threads and cores. WoW's better than many, but it's certainly not state-of-the-art.

EDIT: Looking at CPU utilisation, on my PC WoW seems to like using CPU 0 & 4 and then alternating to CPU 1 & 5, swapping between the pairs roughly once every 5s.
    Last edited by Kalisandra; 2020-09-02 at 12:14 AM.