Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the 3080 lives up to the hype I'm definitely getting one, although I'm a bit disappointed with it's amount of Vram. My cousin is dead set on buying my 1080 for $300 despite buying a 3070 would make more sense. I want a killer GPU for Cyberpunk 2077, but I'm wondering if my 8600k @ 4.8 on all cores will hold it back. I also may need to get a new PSU since mine is a top-end 750 Watt

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx22 View Post
    Going from a 970M to a 3070 most likely.

It's gonna be crazy lol.
    wow, enjoy the upgrade !
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Meanwhile we will all be enjoying our good tech, while you stew and seethe over your purchase, hehe. I can tell you are, look at how you're responding to me.
    Whats wrong with you? Not the first time I see you bring that shitty attitude of yours into this forum.

I think i'll get a 3070. I would like to be able to bump up to 2560x1440 since I love having an ultrawide. Secondary I'd like to experience 144 since I hear its very noticeable. we'll see if this is doable but I think it will be.

7+ Year Old Account
    Would the 3080 run 1440p 144hz maxed for years to come?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    AMD's target for "Big Navi" is 2x Navi10 (RX 5700XT). Which would put it around 50% over a 2080TI, which is around where a 3080 seems to be as well.

2080TI performance is ~10-15% above what the small and severely power limited RDNA2 chip in the next consoles is capable of, so where on earth you got the impression that 2080TI is the target performance for a fully unleashed RDNA2 chip I have no idea of.
    It doesnt work like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    No, GPU hardware is quite a bit behind of the engine software, so expect a big jump in system requirements in the next 2 years.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Probably not.

Nvidia's pricing is better than expected... That being said, wait until AMD gets their cards out the door. Samsung 8nm is nowhere near as efficient as TSMC 7nm. We're talking about 1/3 less transistor density. It will matter.

Even if AMD doesn't beat the 3090, I expect them to be very close or beat the 3080 at a cheaper price point. If nothing else, this will force a refresh or a price drop.

The goal with RDNA 2 was to be 2x the performance (not speed) of RDNA 1. We will see if they hit that.

I expect them to be very close or beat the 3080 at a cheaper price point
    "been hearing that since ~2014"

TSMC 7nm is most likely more expensive than Samsungs 8nm and also way more contested by everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Ofc it doesn't. RDNA2 is totally different than RDNA1(from what we hear, RDNA one was a half step from GCN compute to dedicated graphics). Hence we cannot draw any conclusions on what a 80CU RDNA2 might do based on 5700XT. We can however speculate on what the consoles are saying and extrapolate from that. But it's console marketing and nothing is to be trusted before we see actual benchmarks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Old video with old info based entirely upon Navi10/RDNA1

Yeah that's just not relevant anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly, while I'm all for AMD giving Nvidia a real fight, they have a pattern of over-promising and under-delivering for years.

At this point it's no brainer - Nvidia simply has superior technology when it comes to gaming GPU and AMD at most can bite its ankles in midrange segment or maybe very entry high end once in a blue moon.

I hope that Intel will pick up the slack, though realistically, I expect them to be competitive only starting Gen2 at best.

- - - Updated - - -

I, personally, am gearing for 3080 refresh next year or 3080Ti if that will be a thing. My 1080Ti served me well and frankly it's still pretty good, but I want some raytracing and more juice soon-ish.

https://9gag.com/gag/avzxoE5

that laughing spanish guy version. it is a must check, lmao.
    that being said, i watched the 30 minutes reveal of 3k series and hooo boy it is magnificient.
    When he picked up that 3090 from the floor like it is a big size pet saying "come here" I lolled so bad. Was great watch. I will be upgrading my gtx960 finally with something amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Frankly, while I'm all for AMD giving Nvidia a real fight, they have a pattern of over-promising and under-delivering for years.

At this point it's no brainer - Nvidia simply has superior technology when it comes to gaming GPU and AMD at most can bite its ankles in midrange segment or maybe very entry high end once in a blue moon.
    Except AMD has promised nothing this time. They said they will have a high end card. That is all we know. Technically in pricing the 3070 is still high end for most people, while being a mid range chip. Who knows what they bring.

To your second point. No. Nvidia is behind in at least process technology when comparing to Samsung 8nm to TSMC 7nm even. So in at least that aspect they are behind. While we haven't had a good track record of AMD as a GPU manufacturer.

ATI before it used to have superior technology all the time. Nvidia usually just went a lot bigger. AMD made the mistake of developing GCN into computing and then graphics and it's an awesome computing uArch, but a shitty gaming uArch. And supposedly AMD is doing away with all of that with RDNA2.

As to which is actually superior tech wise, we simply do not know. We know RDNA2 has been co-developed with Microsoft and Sony, so that at least gives AMD hope of it being revolutionary comparing to their previous offering.. Because that is what they need.

In any case. Nvidia has money. So in the end we should not expect to AMD to beat the best of Nvidia for quite a while. Samsung 8nm does give them a chance though if AMD manages to hit a home run at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    The 30 series will have the new SSD tech that comes with the ps5, so unfortunately, yes, there is an actual reason to upgrade, even if you're still on 1080p and don't play RTX titles. Sorry boys, I know you thought you could hide from it, I did too.

Now I'm considering the 3070 when before I wasn't whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Ofcause you can hide from it. Its not like you can't play games without it. Im gonna game just fine on my RTX 2080 without the new SSD tech
    https://wccftech.com/nvidia-details-...-cards-reddit/

Looks like RTX IO will be supported by both Turing and Ampere, so msdos... it looks like your whole parade was for nothing.
    Maybe keep your attitude in check next time so you wont end up looking like a fool.
    Will RTX IO be supported in the RTX 2080?
    [Nestledrink] Yes

Turing and Ampere

We also got info on Pcie3 vs Pcie 4.
    Another important question that Tony answered is the difference between PCIe 4.0 and PCIe 3.0 interfaces. For NVIDIA Ampere Gaming GPUs, it is stated that the difference in the performance of the gen 3.0 protocol versus the gen 4.0 protocol is less than a few percent and the major impact is from the CPU itself. This shouldn't undermine PCIe Gen 4 platform owners as NVIDIA does mention potential performance increases with a full Gen 4 platform and those upgrading their PCs should consider that in mind.

I decided to go a bit cheaper on my last card and bought a Zotac 2080ti and it went out on me in just a bit over a year. I always bought EVGA in the past and only had one issue in over 15 years of buying their cards. So now with me back to using a 1080 again I plan to spend the money and buy a EVGA 3090 as a early Christmas gift to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    "been hearing that since ~2014"

TSMC 7nm is most likely more expensive than Samsungs 8nm and also way more contested by everyone else
    TSMC is definitely way more expensive. Yields are really good and its the most efficient process around right now. Samsung on the other hand... not so much.

Nvidia tried to bully TSMC into giving them a sweetheart deal. TSMC told them to pound sand. Meanwhile AMD is making its entire Ryzen and Radeon lineup on TSMC.

I'm no AMD fangirl, but AMD is going to have the node advantage. Nvidia didn't drop what they did because they're feeling particularly secure in their performance lead.

When you think of the implications of the Nvidia/TSMC relationship deteriorating, if Nvidia gets stuck on Samsung and AMD is able to stick with TSMC into their 5 and 3nm nodes, AMD will just end up winning by default with RDNA 3 because they'll be 2+ nodes ahead of where Nvidia is.

At the end of the day, if AMD can write the software to go along with their hardware, we'll probably see much better competition from here on out.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2020-09-03 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    TSMC is definitely way more expensive. Yields are really good and its the most efficient process around right now. Samsung on the other hand... not so much.

Nvidia tried to bully TSMC into giving them a sweetheart deal. TSMC told them to pound sand. Meanwhile AMD is making its entire Ryzen and Radeon lineup on TSMC.

I'm no AMD fangirl, but AMD is going to have the node advantage. Nvidia didn't drop what they did because they're feeling particularly secure in their performance lead.

When you think of the implications of the Nvidia/TSMC relationship deteriorating, if Nvidia gets stuck on Samsung and AMD is able to stick with TSMC into their 5 and 3nm nodes, AMD will just end up winning by default with RDNA 3 because they'll be 2+ nodes ahead of where Nvidia is.

At the end of the day, if AMD can write the software to go along with their hardware, we'll probably see much better competition from here on out.
    Both Samsung and TSMC gets their EUV equipment from ASML, so we might actually see Samsung catch up a bit. But seeing how Samsung is behind schedule compared to TSMC, they'll probably lag a year or so behind em for now.

Both Samsung and TSMC got plans for 3nm in 2022, so I guess we'll see how that works out.
    Last edited by Hoofey; 2020-09-03 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Ofc it doesn't. RDNA2 is totally different than RDNA1(from what we hear, RDNA one was a half step from GCN compute to dedicated graphics). Hence we cannot draw any conclusions on what a 80CU RDNA2 might do based on 5700XT. We can however speculate on what the consoles are saying and extrapolate from that. But it's console marketing and nothing is to be trusted before we see actual benchmarks.
    If AMD is being AMD again we know perfectly what RDNA2 is. It's another minor upgrade to GCN, just like RDNA is. I very much doubt they're gonna come up with something different ever since Koduri left.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Old video with old info based entirely upon Navi10/RDNA1

Yeah that's just not relevant anymore.
    Only AMD fanboys believe that a minor upgrade in GPU architecture is going to bring 40% performance uplift. My guess would be that RDNA2 is the exact same shit but with hardware raytracing support.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    Both Samsung and TSMC gets their EUV equipment from ASML, so we might actually see Samsung catch up a bit. But seeing how Samsung is behind schedule compared to TSMC, they'll probably lag a year or so behind em for now.

Both Samsung and TSMC got plans for 3nm in 2022, so I guess we'll see how that works out.
    The fact that ASML supplies equipment for both TSMC and Samsung means nothing. It's all about how they design the litography and how they cut wafers. I'm pretty sure that both of them can bake 3nm wafers right now, but that's not going to be economical until they can make chips out of most of the wafer, which is not happening in 2022.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

The fact that ASML supplies equipment for both TSMC and Samsung means nothing. It's all about how they design the litography and how they cut wafers. I'm pretty sure that both of them can bake 3nm wafers right now, but that's not going to be economical until they can make chips out of most of the wafer, which is not happening in 2022.
    Right now TSMC got plans to enter risk production of 3nm in 2021, with mass production in 2022(recent news says late 2022), so we might see some 3nm happening in 2022. If companies like Nvidia\AMD\Intel will use that node in 2022 remains to be seen though. Probably not imo.

You're right that theres more to EUV than the equipment being used, but it serves as a decent starting point and enables both companies to actually develop and make stuff on said process, as ASML are the only ones making this kind of equipment. Previous poster made it seem like Samsung would just stop at 8/7nm.
    Right now we have fairly similar density at 7nm EUV for both Samsung and TSMC, with TSMC having the lead on yields, but if we move to 5nm, theres a big difference where TSMC has the lead on both density and wafer costs.

3nm is a different beast altogether, as TSMC is continuing their finFET designs, while Samsung is pushing for a more GAA FET focused design with their 3nm, which they are said to have a lead over TSMC on with around 12-18 months the last time I read about it (The GAA stuff that is). Moving to GAA is a risky move though, and TSMC might just take the yield/cost crowns with their finFETs, but thats too early to say.

Anyways, my point was that Samsung wont just sit on their ass and watch TSMC get a 2+ node lead on them. There a lot of development being done by both TSMC and Samsung, and while TSMC has the lead right now, Samsung might actually be able to catch up with their 3nm stuff.. If they get those GAA FETs working with good yields that is, as skipping 4nm can lead to delays.
    Last edited by Hoofey; 2020-09-03 at 04:18 PM.

I want to get an RTX 3080. Is my B450 and Ryzen 3600x good enough?