Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Er, wasn't this addressed in the OP?

Prisons exist because for most crimes people can reform themselves. It would be ludicrous to spend the resources we do on prisons just to punish people.
    I'm gonna try to not go on a tangent here but prisons in the USA aren't there to reform people. They exist to supply states with free slave labor. Which might be mirrored in the Maw since there is no reformation there. Just punishment with no hope of redemption or reform.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursoc18 View Post
    I've explained that in the OP. One reason is that we believe humans can be rehabilitated and let back into society. This is not the case for the souls that go to the Maw, because if they were redeemable, they wouldn't be in the Maw, they'd be in Revendreth.
    ... You know "life in prison" exists right?
    Those are people we believe cannot be rehabilitated, and did a crime that deserves them spending every single last day of their life in prison.

- - - Updated - - -

Life sentence often isn't life. They'll get let out if they show they have learned from their mistakes etc. .
    What are you bloody talking about?
    "Show they have learned from their mistakes"
    Oh its a troll, got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    *snip*
    You're trying to project real life onto a fantasy game?

OK.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I'm gonna try to not go on a tangent here but prisons in the USA aren't there to reform people. They exist to supply states with free slave labor. Which might be mirrored in the Maw since there is no reformation there. Just punishment with no hope of redemption or reform.
    You have no idea how much states actually spend on prisons, do you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Yeah, it seems they opened a can of worms with that last video. Let's hope they managed to tie up those loose ends.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    You have no idea how much states actually spend on prisons, do you?
    It literally doesn't matter how much they spend on prisons. They literally use the prisoners for slave labor and have no programs for rehabilitation. It's why 44% of released prisoners are repeat offenders.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    It literally doesn't matter how much they spend on prisons. They literally use the prisoners for slave labor and have no programs for rehabilitation. It's why 44% of released prisoners are repeat offenders.
    Not arguing that the US penal system is terrible, but that wasn't the point here. Prisons are far too expensive to be justified without a the hope that inmates will "learn their lesson". Even those with life sentences can be parolled in most cases. The money made off of prison work programs offsets a tiny portion of what these things actually cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

That doesn't answer the question. Why do they care about inflicting suffering? Endless torture sounds more cruel than anything that person could've possibly done to deserve that in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

You assume the mages of Dalaran were not able to kill their prisoners, and that assumption is wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you understood what you wrote then.
    Endless torture to you, and others, could also be punishment for their crimes. Look at the real life idea of Hell. It’s a place people to that are punished in specific ways that fit their deeds in life.
    How do you know that assumption is wrong.
    As to my post, I’m beginning to think you just misunderstood what I wrote and are now being willfully obtuse in an attempt to be witty and look intelligent while you are, in fact, looking like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    What are you bloody talking about?
    Life sentence is 20 years.

Life sentence often isn't life. They'll get let out if they show they have learned from their mistakes etc. And yes some get multiple life sentences. Some will be in prison forever. In some places the death penalty exists. In those where the death penalty doesn't exist, those people against it would probably argue that it would be wrong to kill them and that that would make us as bad as them. Maybe that is their reasoning I guess, but that clashes with the idea of "eternal suffering is worse than death, so let's make them suffer".
    In many countries life sentences is life.

Your point is moot

"We" dont execute people because its the most convenient thing.

In fact most civilized countries dont execute people at all.
    Last edited by ClassicPeon; 2020-09-14 at 03:28 PM.
    Extremism and radicalisation is the bane of society

7+ Year Old Account
    Life sentence is 20 years.
    uhhh no... no its not.. its for life... literally... different countries have different year allowances for applying for parole, but its still a life long sentence, you will be there till you die, unless you get accepted for parol, which with life sentences are rare.

Good behavior can get a life sentence reduced. So even the idea of a "permanent jail sentence" isn't really permanent at all in practice. This is why you have double, triple, etc. life sentences. What would be the point of giving a person more than one life sentence if a single one was permanent? Life sentences usually carry a year duration, like 100 years or something. Double would be 200 years. But good behavior can knock 5 years off here and there until "life" becomes more like decades.

I'm sure the maw works the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    uhhh no... no its not.. its for life... literally... different countries have different year allowances for applying for parole, but its still a life long sentence, you will be there till you die, unless you get accepted for parol, which with life sentences are rare.
    you need to do some research before you say something like this

5+ Year Old Account
    There is no punishment in death or obliteration

7+ Year Old Account
    Uhh no you do mate.
    Life means life, its as simple as that, depending on where you are there is many places that have "After X amount of years you cant attempt parole" but for example "Life in prison without parole" is literally "You will stay in prison till the day you die, and you have no way of getting out"

You have to be kidding.

Instead of telling someone to do research why don't you try to refute what they say?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account

You're being purposely vague. You know damn well what parole is and it's role in life sentences. Purposely leaving it out and not elaborating on it is bad faith. Get with the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Instead of telling someone to do research why don't you try to refute what they say?
    Already have

3+ Year Old Account
    Because sending souls to the Maw keeps the Jailer happy so he doesn't bother the other Aftterlifes?
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    In the case of Ursoc, he's gone for good unless Blizzard says there's a way to recover him.
    So in otherwords, not gone for good at all