Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I honestly don't know how their system works so who knows. I will say having two different versions of the same game would only add to confusion for a site who's entire goal is to make it as easy as possible for people to play classic games.
    steam does this with any game that wants to and i've never heard anyone have an issue. even battle.net does it with PTRs and classic.

This has been one of the strangest rants I have seen. I refuse to believe that you, OP, are so blind as not to see that you are from an absolutely, ridiculously small minority of gamers. Almost no one has 25 computers/consoles at home. Hell, almost no one even has 5.
    And GoG's "mission statement" is obvious - old games brought back to life on modern systems. It was your choice to ignore that, then rant.

Also, WTF is this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    But the point has been made that GoG does not care about retro gamers but targets the mainstream crowd. Point noted.
    What, retro gamers to you mean only people gaming on the old school systems scrounged from ebay? People playing retro games are not retro gamers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kukkamies View Post
    Because you didn't get your money back yet. Then they ask you to do more things to get your money back. Until they actually give it back it feels like a scam. They even try to push their own Gog money on you first instead of returning real money. Does not feel good.
    Sure it's not unreasonable, but can get it easier elsewhere so I go elsewhere. Why stay there if they require you to do more work than other platforms?
    What does piracy have to do with this? I already said I'm going for other platforms, good experiences with Epics, Steams and Humbles refunds already, around 1-3 refunds on each. Only Gog has been annoying so only them will I avoid.
    by that logic any company that requires you to take a short survey is scamming you. are you serious? your getting upset because of a survey that takes less than 2 minutes to fill out? if they still give you the money back IT ISN'T A SCAM. you should go look up what a scam actually is instead of ranting and raving about gog. also from a business perspective it makes sense for them to push their currency as they are hoping to integrate you into their ecosystem. there isn't anything inherently wrong with that. yes it takes a little more time. but at this point it's obvious your just using this to justify something you were going to do anyways because this is one of the weakest arguments i have seen for pirating something(which is "they are wasting my time".).
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Really? why would they not allow horse-drawn carriages on roads? The only exception being highways ofc... unless you can find horses running 80+ km/h for long periods of time.
    Generally-speaking they create unsafe driving conditions. Same reason you can be pulled over for doing 20 on a road marked at 50 MPH. Some states, especially those with a notable Amish population, allow exceptions for those groups, and in return those groups are generally polite enough to hug the shoulder as much as possible. It's easier with a single horse because you can maintain a decent canter on the shoulder provided the roadside isn't in too-bad shape or with too much dangerous litter, but in that case you're almost better off just taking nature trails on horseback than risking your and your horse's safety on major roadways.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Lately I tried a whole bunch of GoG games on my Win98SE and XP machines and almost none worked. Seems like they are changing system requirements/dependencies. Anyone else noticed this? I understand they want to make it more compatible with modern machines but they should ADD compatibility not swap it around and break the system it originally was created for. Not buying from them anymore, back the "arr matey" way.
    Wait so why are you using 98/XP again?
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelon View Post
    The entire premise of GOG is to modernize games and make them playable on current rigs. In most cases, DOS-era games run in an on-demand DOSbox shell; others use a special version of ScummVM. In any case, I think the service they offer is incredible and well worth it. GOG also barely breaks even in their business model - it's a love letter to PC gamers everywhere.
    Couldn't agree more with this statement.

Most people aren't going to fire up an old i486 (meaning they kept it maintained and operational) with Windows 98/XP just to play an archaic game. Even if that is the case for some, I'd assume they'd go find the game in it's jewel case and install it like to good ol' days. I myself look forward to GoG configuring a DOSBox environment where the game runs under it's optimal settings so I can leave the old hardware 6 feet under where it belongs.

I try to run software on the machine it was made for. I got about 25 pc's here covering a vast range of operating systems ready to use. I do also have a Win10 machine as my daily driver obviously. Just that I don't want good old games on win10. I want my good old games on my good old hardware.

But the point has been made that GoG does not care about retro gamers but targets the mainstream crowd. Point noted.
    This is correct. That demographic is already served by flea markets and thrift stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    This has been one of the strangest rants I have seen. I refuse to believe that you, OP, are so blind as not to see that you are from an absolutely, ridiculously small minority of gamers. Almost no one has 25 computers/consoles at home. Hell, almost no one even has 5.
    And GoG's "mission statement" is obvious - old games brought back to life on modern systems. It was your choice to ignore that, then rant.
    No different than keeping old consoles if you ask me.

you can all but guaranteed software doesn't work anymore after 10-20 years of hardware/OS updates. DOS is the one big exception. but i bet if you try to run some win95/xp games you can already start to run into issues, heck it's happened to me at least once that i can remember. and not like you could predict the current surge in remakes either.

(now ofc, if you are into that hobby you typically also keep the floppy/cd/dvd/cardridges. which you could just rip onto a hdd if you wanted that convenience.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Windows 10 is light-years better than XP was. What a fucking dumpster fire XP and Vista were.
    Nah XP was great and the OS I reverted back to when Vista turned out to be a dumpster fire. Then I got early access to Windows 7 (university student perk) and even in it's beta form was an actual upgrade to XP. Simple, modern, and fast.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Nah XP was great and the OS I reverted back to when Vista turned out to be a dumpster fire. Then I got early access to Windows 7 (university student perk) and even in it's beta form was an actual upgrade to XP. Simple, modern, and fast.
    Agree. Only issue with windows 10 is the dumpster fire that is the start menu. I had to download start 10 because i hate it so much. Like I 100% do not need an alphabatized list of every program on my pc there. fuck off lol

Quote Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
    Couldn't agree more with this statement.

Most people aren't going to fire up an old i486 (meaning they kept it maintained and operational) with Windows 98/XP just to play an archaic game. Even if that is the case for some, I'd assume they'd go find the game in it's jewel case and install it like to good ol' days. I myself look forward to GoG configuring a DOSBox environment where the game runs under it's optimal settings so I can leave the old hardware 6 feet under where it belongs.
    A 486 with Windows XP? I think you are mixing up your CPU and OS generations. While it is possible to run 98 on a (very beefed up) 486 (released in 1989), it is vastly out of its league and will struggle a lot with about anything. I can't even think about trying to install XP (released 2001) on a 486. XP was already Pentium 4 territory at launch.

Why not? The games are designed for these "legacy systems". It works if I download the original iso's but feels wrong having to resort to piracy for something I own legit.
    get a legacy version of the game, like floppy or cd-rom, for you legacy OS and stop blaming gog for providing a service you clearly arent the targeted audience of

A 486 with Windows XP? I think you are mixing up your CPU and OS generations. While it is possible to run 98 on a (very beefed up) 486 (released in 1989), it is vastly out of its league and will struggle a lot with about anything. I can't even think about trying to install XP (released 2001) on a 486. XP was already Pentium 4 territory at launch.
    You're right. I believe the 486 had Win95 and the 98/XP was when my family was rolling a Pentium II or something like that. It's been a long time, cut me a little slack. The point of my statement above was that if you're looking for an authentic experience on you're older hardware, go out there and find those original CD's and floppy disks that have the original game code. I know I still have most of those older games stored in a box up in the attic. For the CD's, I bought those old 100+ CD holder cases and still have all my PS1 along with the ancient PC games.

I've used GoG pre their Galaxy client as I love their ideology. Breathe life back into those old gems by making it convenient to install on modern systems. Even now I have Master of Magic and XCOM installed. I throw those on a second monitor (windowed mode) and play during WoW Classic down time!
    Last edited by Meeks; 2020-10-02 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    by that logic any company that requires you to take a short survey is scamming you. are you serious? your getting upset because of a survey that takes less than 2 minutes to fill out? if they still give you the money back IT ISN'T A SCAM. you should go look up what a scam actually is instead of ranting and raving about gog. also from a business perspective it makes sense for them to push their currency as they are hoping to integrate you into their ecosystem. there isn't anything inherently wrong with that. yes it takes a little more time. but at this point it's obvious your just using this to justify something you were going to do anyways because this is one of the weakest arguments i have seen for pirating something(which is "they are wasting my time".).
    I never said it is a scam. I said it feels like a scam.
    Yep there is nothing inherently wrong about pushing their own currency, but it's worse than their competitors who give you real money instantly. I never said it's wrong. Like the repeated news about airlines a while ago: "Don't accept the airlines own currency! Demand real money!"

You really have a tendency to read something that's not there. I agree with what you wrote about it not being a scam or not being wrong and none of it is against what I wrote.
    When there is a company that'll serve you in 1 day and a company that takes 7 days to do the same thing it's obvious I'll choose the one with 1 day.
    Last edited by kukkamies; 2020-10-05 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    Wait so why are you using 98/XP again?
    they have a weird masochistic fetish,i just hope they arent using modern internet speed as that would be cheating

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kukkamies View Post
    I never said it is a scam. I said it feels like a scam.
    Yep there is nothing inherently wrong about pushing their own currency, but it's worse than their competitors who give you real money instantly. I never said it's wrong. Like the repeated news about airlines a while ago: "Don't accept the airlines own currency! Demand real money!"

You really have a tendency to read something that's not there. I agree with what you wrote about it not being a scam or not being wrong and none of it is against what I wrote.
    When there is a company that'll serve you in 1 day and a company that takes 7 days to do the same thing it's obvious I'll choose the one with 1 day.
    no your just using "it feels like a scam" to try and imply it is a scam without explicitly stating it is one so you can just go "gotcha" when someone tries to explain it isn't. if you don't like the companies policies fine but then stating they have a worse policy than steam when that is objectively false is being dishonest. also the game isn't a scam if it runs. you seriously need to look up the definition of a actual scam before you toss out words to try and make your argument.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2020-10-05 at 06:42 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    no your just using "it feels like a scam" to try and imply it is a scam without explicitly stating it is one so you can just go "gotcha" when someone tries to explain it isn't. if you don't like the companies policies fine but then stating they have a worse policy than steam when that is objectively false is being dishonest. also the game isn't a scam if it runs. you seriously need to look up the definition of a actual scam before you toss out words to try and make your argument.
    I know it isn't a scam. It isn't. There is no "gotcha". I wrote what I mean. There's no reason to explain it isn't, it isn't. No one is saying it is a scam. I agree.
    Doesn't change it feeling like one when they are trying to push fake money on you.

Would you actually choose a company that keeps your money longer over a company that returns your money when you want it?

10+ Year Old Account
    You, my friend, have a really fucky definition of "ruining"... 99.99% of people would call this saving.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

what the hell, gog is meant to play OLD games on NEW hardware, not the other way... who the hell uses xp/98 in 2020

Re-releases of Dreamcast games on modern systems also won't run on Dreamcast. If you've got 25 pc's of all eras and operating systems you're probably one in a million, source the original release of the game if you want to play the original version.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4