10+ Year Old Account
    Trial of the Chicago 7: 8

The Lighthouse (2019): 7
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE | Intel Core i9-9900k | 32GB RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 | ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER

Old Guard 7/10

A good solid action flick. Admittedly I got lazy about reading the original comic book even though I'm a Greg Rucka fan.

Borat 2 8/10

For the most part it came across as a lesser version of the original. However, I was completely delighted by the ending. It was entirely unexpected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Borat 2: 7/10

A lot better than I expected honestly. It felt a lot more fake and some of the jokes fell flat and it lost some of the shock value and freshness of the original, but it was a decent sequel overall. I did not see the plot twist coming at the end so bonus points for that.

Underworld, I watched it when it first came out back in 2003(?). Watched it again now for Halloween.

It's very much an early oughts-goth movie, and it's silly and hammy, but I do have a certain nostalgic fondness for it.

And Kate Beckinsale rockin that catsuit never gets old.

Ladyhawke 9.5
    Smart script with fine acting. Best of the few fantasy movies that came out in the 80s. And yes, like so many back then, I too fell in love with Michelle Pfeiffer who portrays quite a luminous beauty as a shapeshifting hawk opposite Rutger Hauer's wolf.
    And then there's Matthew Broderick's smart funny thief and his personal conversations with God.

Borat 2 - 7/10

There are parts that I genuinely laughed my ass off at(the fertility dance had me screaming). It hits more than it misses. It’s a fun way to spend a couple hours even if parts of it feel forced.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Annihilation (2018) - I don't really wanna call this "horror". I guess this is what the "thriller" category is for. This movie's on drugs. Not as bad as Color of Purple or w/e the fuck it's called but it's got similar vibes, it's just told in a better framing device.

The plot was well designed. But the actual contents are horrible. The forward story is confused, they really should've went harder on actual science explanations/research instead of resorting to pointless action scenes with monsters and "disturbing" scenes.

I thought the flashback sequence of showing | love husband -> oh wait was cheating -> oh thats probably why husband went on a suicide mission | while simultaneously showing progression of the husband's life in this place (through some found footage, which is bullshit that it focused on him so much, way too convenient for my taste) is really good on paper but in practice it was boring because the forward story wasn't told with a consistent theme.

I've got a bias to liking this genre of movies so I don't think it wass a waste of my time, but I'm disappointed because they plot tries hard when it's obviously not great. I'd have personally had a better time with like some Anaconda 17 rehash. Bias aside, this movie is bad, for the reasons I mentioned. 0.15/10
    You can complain about a lack of "scientific details" when it comes to the Shimmer but that's not really what the movie is about. Here's a good analysis on the movie.

Borat 2: Not as funny as I expected it to be, nor as shocking. Between social media and the open forums of the last decade where people just spew absolute venom and their innermost hateful thoughts, nothing said here seemed shocking. In fact, I've read worse on Yahoo comments sections before they were disabled. Also didn't help they pretty much spoiled the end (kind of), with the Rudy Giuliani hotel scene, but I see why they did it, and it wasn't particularly funny anyway as much as it was to garner publicity, which it did.

Also, it's very repetitive to the first. Borat's still very ignorant, and while some scenes in the first had me laughing out loud when he expressed shock that women could drive, hearing the same jokes again made he chuckle at best if that. The funniest scene to me was when Borat, disguised as an ultra conservative, got a bunch of other far-right conservatives to sing along to injecting Dr. Fauci and other notables with CoVid 19, but that had already been spoiled by early movie reviews too.

Guiltily, I admit to laughing at the continued jokes about Jewish people, until a heartwarming moment that reportedly actually got Sacha to break character and return a kind hug that shows love trumps hate, and actually led to a very heartfelt dedication in the credits.

Ironically, the most satisfying part of the movie was the fictional story between Borat and his daughter. It was oddly satisfying to actually see the Borat character grow, leaving him in a place where he had a satisfying ending, and doesn't need (nor deserve) another sequel. Also, the twist at the end with CoVid was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    You can complain about a lack of "scientific details" when it comes to the Shimmer but that's not really what the movie is about. Here's a good analysis on the movie.
    Why should you have to try this hard to understand or enjoy a movie? For me Movies are meant to be mindless entertainment for 1-3 Hours, you should not have to think or try to find some deeper meaning out of it. If the Plot does not explain something by the end it was a bad movie.

Toy Story of Terror. Finally saw this with my niece and sister. A great Halloween short featuring your favorite Toy Story characters (yes, including Woddy and Buzz voiced by Tom Hanks and Tim Allen.) It's available on Disney+ if you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Why should you have to try this hard to understand or enjoy a movie? For me Movies are meant to be mindless entertainment for 1-3 Hours, you should not have to think or try to find some deeper meaning out of it. If the Plot does not explain something by the end it was a bad movie.
    "You should not have to think to understand art"

I've never heard such a silly and blatantly anti-intellectual comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    "You should not have to think to understand art"

I've never heard such a silly and blatantly anti-intellectual comment.
    That is my Argument Film basically obsoleted books because it took printed word and put it into visual form for everyone to see and hear therefore if I'm going to give up my most important asset, which is Time It needs to entertain me without causing me to have to think into what is happening. I have a High Stress Job and work 12-15 Hour days actually working with my hands not sitting at a desk, so when I get a few hours to spend with myself or my family I want it to be basic action or family fun in a movie. I love good Old school horror movies Friday 13th series, Nightmare on Elm Street stuff like that I don't want to have to do the writers job for them and figure out the plot what they failed to present to me.

That is my Argument Film basically obsoleted books because it took printed word and put it into visual form for everyone to see and hear therefore if I'm going to give up my most important asset, which is Time It needs to entertain me without causing me to have to think into what is happening. I have a High Stress Job and work 12-15 Hour days actually working with my hands not sitting at a desk, so when I get a few hours to spend with myself or my family I want it to be basic action or family fun in a movie. I love good Old school horror movies Friday 13th series, Nightmare on Elm Street stuff like that I don't want to have to do the writers job for them and figure out the plot what they failed to present to me.
    Your loss.

That is my Argument Film basically obsoleted books because it took printed word and put it into visual form for everyone to see and hear therefore if I'm going to give up my most important asset, which is Time It needs to entertain me without causing me to have to think into what is happening.
    I can consume far, far more information by reading than watching something over the same period of time.

A movie adaptation of a novel usually sacrifices a shit tonne of information. There’s nothing wrong with wanting some light entertainment but don’t pretend it’s anymore than that.

Borat 2: 5/10. The sctick is still funny, but the charm of people's innocence and ignorance has been replaced by a more cynical population.

Barbarians: 5/10. I kind of thought the Germans would do better with a historical movie seeing as they are such Debbie downers now. But the series was romanticized to a fair extent, and seems destined for more seasons. It's not bad for the most part, but like many historical movies, the truth is more interesting.

Tried to watch La Grande Belezza (The Great Beauty) as per hellhamster's recommendation.

Literally 7 minutes in and no dialogue or coherence. It's just been random choir singing showing random tourists, and dance club music showing some random dancing people.

I can't see how this can be a 10/10 movie, it seems like a waste of time to be honest. I'm discarding this recommendation and picking another one I guess.

Well, I promised to see "The New Mutants..."
    Hmm..5.5/10
    That damn script.
    For much of it, it's exploring everyone's ability...and intro of a sort seen through the eyes of Dani Moonstar.
    I kinda knew there'd be problems from the trailer. The big one being Magick chucked in. But...hoped the script would fix that.
    Just because:
    Characterization was mostly spot on. Except the relationship between Rahne and Dani was changed for a budding gay relationship. Thank the script for making that seem forced and a little silly. (In the comics if I recall Rahne's first had something of a crush on DaCosta)
    Script needed tightening as some scenes dragged.
    But the movie is stolen by Magick as portrayed by Anya Taylor-Joy. She's the only one written well enough that had you asking a lot of questions...questions that demand her own movie.
    And she's a real bitch..and OP...which fits with the comics. (The addition of "Lockheed" the dragon was a nice touch) She even says it..."I'm the most powerful one here." And when she goes to take on the Demon bear one-on-one, Berto warns her that that thing can't be fought, it's magic...and her reply sneeringly delivered; " So am I."
    So...how to depower her? She got tired...after all this was rightfully Dani's fight. We can't have some half-demon queen of Limbo tear it to pieces with a few spells.

One niggling point; Maise Williams didn't fit the role of a lithe shapeshifter. Her acting ability is obvious...but she just looked all wrong for the role that demands a strong agile half-wolf.

5+ Year Old Account
    Don't even know any more (thanks to covid.)
    Last edited by monkfailz; 2020-11-01 at 03:13 AM.

Sean Connery just heard he passed...breaking news

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Sean Connery just heard he passed...breaking news
    Woke up, turned on my phone, and that was the first thing I saw. Drag, man. Dude was a legend.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi