Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Are you doing every bonus objective, treasures and side quests? I was doing mostly main quests and dinged 30 in Gorgrond. Is Shadowmoon valley just that much better xp?
    SMV seems pretty bad pre flying, the zone is enormous.

Also, did they add those purple fire gates around where all the treasures are grouped? Or were those always there and I was just flying over them? I honestly don't remember that, but it's ofc been years since I didn't speed thru this content.

Quote Originally Posted by daisyheadmayzie View Post
    One of the problems mentioned by Blizzard was that when there were 120 levels, each level just flew by so quickly, there wasn't really any chance of trying out your abilities at a reasonable pace. The pacing was completely off. You have 120 levels, but each of them just meant so little, as levels would just be raining down from the sky. No chance for gaining a level to actually feel meaningful. And that was already the case with just the heirloom experience bonuses, before the Winds of Wisdom buff.

Check back here with what they said regarding this
    https://youtu.be/6OHDAwg-Tw4?t=899

Now they've reduced levels by more than half. Perfect time to tune the pacing of leveling. But what does the pacing look like? Levels still fly by really fast. We now have way fewer levels, and gaining a level is still trivial because you spend mere minutes on each level. Had they actually wanted to make gaining levels more meaningful, they should've increased the time it takes to gain each individual level.

It's just not possible to deny, with a leveling time of around 10 hours, even if you're taking your time, it's just way too fast. It might not be too fast for you if you hate leveling and just want to be done with it. But as far as making leveling an actually compelling experience, making the act of creating a character and taking him on a journey actually exciting, especially in regards to the new player experiencing this for the first time, it's not achieving what they claimed they wanted to do.
    Maybe they wanted to err on the safe side, i can imagine them not wanting to inflict the end game zones of i.e. pandaria on anyone, and though imperfect you can just continue and finish it if you want.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

I find levelling awesome now.

Small thing I can say though, was thinking of making a thread about this,
    is that some levelling dungeons have scaling issues.

Im not exactly certain what happened but sometimes our group cant beat certain
    mobs or bosses because they feel overtuned.

This happened in:

Black Rook Hold, multiple times, issues on first boss, doing one kill abilites when they scratched you.
    Blackrock Caverns, one trash type mob was smashing tanks. third boss was unkillable.
    Throne of the Four winds, storm drake mobs too tough on tanks
    and others ...

But no big deal overall.

Perhaps the players were just new and unexperienced, either healers or tanks tough to say ...

Leveling is much better now. I hope they balance the expansions accordingly so there is not an obvious faster way of leveling 1 to 50.

Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    exatly!! Then, if what blizzard wants is for us to level from 50-60 exclusively in Shadowlands, they can give players an option so we can chose to continue playing in whatever expansion we're on when we ding 50 (we won't get XP though, just all mobs stay at lvl 50). This way we can finish an entire story from the expansion, specially if we're using CT to finish the Loremaster achievement, with a reasonable challenge now that all the mobs are of our level instead of being automatically downgraded to lvl 30
    Isn't that the same as disabling xp gains at 49?

Funny thing you can level now under 3h if you choose Vashij underwater zone. Shimmering Expanse got some preety broken quest exp now.

To fast? as someone that play this game since 2006, I dare to say it need another 15%-20% nerf, not sure why people complain that leveling is fast in a game where the game starts at max level

Leveling is fun BUT once you reach your 10000000 characters the fun part is long gone

I am personally loving the leveling speed. I have three new characters now that I had given up on prior to this because I just can’t stand the tedium of the old leveling system. This was actually fun and has me back playing again.

I am not in my twenties anymore, hell not in my thirties either and I just can’t spend that much time leveling something up.

If you want to slow it down, read every word of every quest, don’t use a mount, turn your computer off.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who has played for almost 15 years now I'm fine with the faster leveling. After questing through every zone a million times over the years and running the same dungeons over and over just to get another max level character it just felt like torture sometimes to the point where it would sometimes lead to burnout. Now I can level up a new character and get him caught up much faster and I don't have to level up through the same scripted zones.

However that's coming from a veteran player who experienced WoW's golden days up to now. It sucks for new players though because they won't be able to experience how the game was before where it felt like an open adventure. It was like an actual virtual journey starting from 1 and just wandering around the world just finding your place in it. Now everything is on a set path.

My problem with the new leveling system though is with how the new questing system is presented now. I'm just a not a big fan of having to pretend Chromie sends you back in time to quest in an older zone. When you think about it it doesn't make much sense. The whole idea is that Chromie sends you back in time to the days of Outland or Northrend or whatever but the thing is you can just go to those areas yourself without the whole time traveling bullshit. So to me it's just an unnecessary roleplay feature that feels totally pointless to me.

I just don't like how it went from being an open adventure to instanced content now. With all the phasing that goes on this game you'd think we'd have enough instanced content going on already but now it just feels like this whole game has become split up into sections rather than feeling like a natural progression through open world adventure. It's kinda sad actually when you think about how the game used to be. It's like when you beat a game and unlock the ability to choose a mission to play again. That's basically what Chromie's time traveling feels like to me.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2020-11-02 at 10:47 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Did you say Warmode on, because you're not a cry baby and then point out you were on a Horde toon? There is a reason the Ally get a 25% bonus. When trying to level outside of Shadowmoon valley, it was a constant 2-5 horde everywhere I went and all they wanted to do was gang hug any ally they saw. It's not brave when you're running with a overwhelming majority
    Rofl. I've been PvP server Horde since vanilla since we were MASSIVELY outnumbered. Just because the tables have turned that doesn't change my stance on PvP mode/server.

Quote Originally Posted by daisyheadmayzie View Post
    Now they've reduced levels by more than half. Perfect time to tune the pacing of leveling. But what does the pacing look like? Levels still fly by really fast. We now have way fewer levels, and gaining a level is still trivial because you spend mere minutes on each level. Had they actually wanted to make gaining levels more meaningful, they should've increased the time it takes to gain each individual level.
    You're taking what they discussed entirely out of context. They never wanted to return leveling back to the old days. They wanted to cut levels and keep the pace so that players could get to the relevant content faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

if you want to level slower, youre always welcome to turn off exp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    It's not brave when you're running with a overwhelming majority
    Its a video game - im not sure "bravery" really comes into play in this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by koltec View Post
    also didnt the rep xp buff just end on oct 31 or was that just the rep ended
    Exp buff was gone with prepatch so it was never a factor in this. Rep buff is gone now though too yes, but I guess only by 84% since you get 16 to rep now.

Turn off xp is such a pathetic excuse for a solution that a lot of people seem to be spouting.

Lets take it then. Why does it have on or off switch? Why not have 50% xp gained? I'd be perfectly ok with that solution. To not gain any xp is to not level. It should be very clear. With 50% xp gained, i could extend the leveling process to be long enough to feel right. Those who dont want to use it, can choose not to, but I for sure would.

Nah.

If you want it to take longer, disable XP and finish zones for the story or whatever it is you're missing in your mind.

Starting zone + 2 expeditions + 1 dungeon + WoD intro (not frostfire) + full Talador = level 35 in roughly 6 hours.

Would have expected leveling to be tuned to nearly a full expansion. Instead it's roughly 2 expansion zones. With that said they should just remove the level restriction on zones so I can take a new character directly to Netherstorm for example instead of having to level a bit in the same lesser zones and not get to finish the zone I wanted in the first place anyway.

But then a level boost is thrown left and right and available on the shop, so the entire leveling process is pretty much pointless anyway.

Was fun to see a lot of people around doing stuff though.

As far as the overall feeling .. aside from forced need to switch zones removed, it's exactly the same but with different numbers and of course absurdities ... like the one above, they inteded to have a flow of the story that just doesn't work because you end the process miles before getting anywhere. Levels just fly by and my bar gets filled before I even know what the previous spells I got do.

Started a druid ... got the improved prowl ability 1 level before actually getting prowl ... great job.

I just started a Maghar orc and using no heirlooms, no Warmode, no xp pots or anything. Just trying to level with what is there.

I wanted to do TBC, and have spent about 6 or so hours fully completing Hellfire Peninsula quests (and reading them all) and also did 2 dungeons. I’m level 25 after all that (started at 10 due to allied race) which doesn’t seem all that fast, but it’s been very enjoyable.

Heading to Nagrand now. My guess is I’ll complete Nagrand round level 40 or so and I’ll have to do half of another zone to cap.

So 2.5 zones (ish) which I don’t think is unreasonable. You never had to finish entire expansion zones even when they were current. I remember leveling in Wrath and I hit cap never touching dragonblight, grizzly hills, shoalazar basin, or Icecrown.
    Last edited by Argorwal; 2020-11-03 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Turn off xp is such a pathetic excuse for a solution that a lot of people seem to be spouting.

Lets take it then. Why does it have on or off switch? Why not have 50% xp gained? I'd be perfectly ok with that solution. To not gain any xp is to not level. It should be very clear. With 50% xp gained, i could extend the leveling process to be long enough to feel right. Those who dont want to use it, can choose not to, but I for sure would.
    You can literally do just that right now but by switching xp on and off every hour or so. That’s literally your fix. People asking for slower leveling have an option to do just that. Also, if is the questing you like, you can just quest more if you hit end level. It’s really not that hard to understand. This game isn’t about leveling anymore and hasn’t been for years, I’m sorry to break the news to you.

finished yesterday with my alt...

started in Exile Reach to check it out -> WoD Intro -> Gorgrond questline -> Talador questline -> Spires of Arak 80% of questline = lvl 50

with Ally warmode on 25% and 10% potion from 7th legion...... plus i did Arak with that building with XP buff 20% i think, and from 45-50 had the 16% anny buff also.

wasnt speed lvling, played it over a week or so.... and it felt just fine.

They would prolly have to tune every expansion quests to make it so you finish whole storyline before you hit max lvl. And somehow I highly doubt they would bother with that. Hell they don't even tune the new expansions so you go through whole storyline before capping