View Poll Results: Who's better? Revan or Vader?

Voters
58. This poll is closed
  • Darth Vader

28 48.28%
  • Darth Revan

30 51.72%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Popularity/notoriety in media =/= power, feats, or in universe gravitas in this topic, and isn't even one of the major debates here.

Vader is the mainstream media equivalent of a Halloween monster these days, to say he's outright better because he's known is plain comical.

In universe, Vader is the boogeyman of the Rebellion. Revan is an ancient sorcerer who destroyed the space Mongolian invasion and essentially created an ideology by accident that destroyed a galaxy spanning government.
    I mean Vader was instrumental in the destruction of the Jedi and the Sith. So there's that.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I'd say both ended up being pretty terrible Sith as both died as Jedi. Revan does have the legacy of his holocron teaching Darth Bane which contributed to the Rule of Two Sith. Vader nearly made the jedi extinct, but he was more the tool than the architect whereas Revan accidentally inspired the architect.

1v1 Revan would win because Vader is weak against sith lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    1v1 Revan would win because Vader is weak against sith lightning.
    It's an odd weakness, but yeah.
    It touches on a complaint about the entire series...and the strange science.

Revan is both more powerful and a cooler character

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    As I said Vader loses at lore feats, but in all other terms Vader is a massively influential figure around the globe while raven is some guy no one but us nerds have ever heard about.
    but the question isn't about which character is more known/popular, its which one is better

Revan would probably edge Vader out, because he doesn't hate sand, plus because of his injuries, Vader could never live up to his full potential, though he adapted well enough, but that is a "What If", I'd like to see.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    but the question isn't about which character is more known/popular, its which one is better
    And Vader’s just the better character, Better acted better voiced better written ect ect. Raven might be better if you were having a vs match or something as he just wins at lore feats but going the whole nine miles like the op said Vader is just a better more impactful character.

If we compare bot building abilities, Vader gave us C3-P0 while Revan gave us HK-47. I think we all know who wins this round.

Darth revan commanded both the light and the dark side and lead an empire for years, darth vader was just a tool for the emperor.

And Vader’s just the better character, Better acted better voiced better written ect ect. Raven might be better if you were having a vs match or something as he just wins at lore feats but going the whole nine miles like the op said Vader is just a better more impactful character.
    well again by character i didn't mean the way he's presented in movies.. there are no movies about Revan, so its pointless to talk about that

i'm talking about as a character within Star Wars universe

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    Darth revan commanded both the light and the dark side and lead an empire for years, darth vader was just a tool for the emperor.
    Sums it up pretty well, seems like a "no contest" win to me. Vader was at his most interesting when he stopped giving a shit, but that didn't last long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

7+ Year Old Account
    well again by character i didn't mean the way he's presented in movies.. there are no movies about Revan, so its pointless to talk about that

i'm talking about as a character within Star Wars universe
    And I'm talking about as a character in general as that's what the thread is about the whole nine miles. if you just want a vs then ya raven wins but as a character in general he's way behind vader as he has way less material.

And I'm talking about as a character in general as that's what the thread is about the whole nine miles. if you just want a vs then ya raven wins but as a character in general he's way behind vader as he has way less material.
    well duh obviously because Vader(Anakin) had an 6 movies about him

Revan had a personal moral journey that took years for him to go...gray. If we could get that acted out well enough, even a mediocre job would blow Vader away.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna vote for the one I've actually heard of.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Vader. He's the epitome of cool mysterious bad guy. There's only one I can think of who is better, and that is Bondrewd from Made in Abyss, and he is just Darth Vader with the sadistic Nazi doctor trope mixed in.
    Huh? Maybe I don't know the whole story, since I didn't read original and only watched series and movie, but I don't see much similarity between them. One is pretty good execution of former emotional youth that got broken in clash with harsh reality and over-rigid order that CBA to actually care about one of its most valuable disciples. Another is self-obsessed narcissist to the point of forgetting his own humanity and doing anything that prolongs his quazi-eternal life. The only thing they have in common is lust for power - but that's generic trait for lots of different motivations.
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    Huh? Maybe I don't know the whole story, since I didn't read original and only watched series and movie, but I don't see much similarity between them. One is pretty good execution of former emotional youth that got broken in clash with harsh reality and over-rigid order that CBA to actually care about one of its most valuable disciples. Another is self-obsessed narcissist to the point of forgetting his own humanity and doing anything that prolongs his quazi-eternal life. The only thing they have in common is lust for power - but that's generic trait for lots of different motivations.
    It was mostly about how they are mysterious unstoppable evil guys in black helmets. Their characters aren't similar, but they give off that same vibe of 'faceless executioner who's only reason for not killing you is because they don't want to'. I say Bondrewd is better, because he fits the exact same role Vader does, but only more terrifying because Vader will just kill you, Bondrewd won't make it easy, and he is far, FAR less predictable on top.

7+ Year Old Account
    well duh obviously because Vader(Anakin) had an 6 movies about him
    Even without the movies Vader just had a metric ton more material then raven, a ton of novels dark horse comics marvel comics ect.

This is why popularity matters Vader is an insanely well known figure and this leads him into having far more media which makes him a far more fleshed out character then raven.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I thought KotoR was a meh game. The twist was somewhat cool, but Vader is just a far more meaningful character.
    Oh sweet summer child...that is not where Revan's story ends.

- - - Updated - - -

I might be biased to Revan. He went through so many arcs that his story is just bigger. He did "live" far longer than Vader.
    Vader was just a weak willed boy that got manipulated and regreted it in the end.

(Kotor 1/2/revan and swtor spoiler warning!)

Revan started jedi, faced a huge hidden threat, came back Sith... got defeated and turn back to jedi and defeated his aprentice then went after the hidden threat with the exile, got betrayed by his man on the inside and defeated again, got into a mind link fight with the emperor for a hundread years or so, was freed, tried to stop the empire forces and failed, then his will stayed behind (in darth revan form) and used his cult followers to wage war on the galaxy to fight the emperor, leading republic and empire and his force ghost to defeat him which then let the emperor loose on the galaxy.

We could say that there was more to his story hm?
    Given it took both republic and empire to defeat him, i would say Revan was "better".
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-11-18 at 03:31 AM.

Vader's legacy is defined more by his failures than his successes. Revan's is defined by his successes more than his failures. Obviously, Revan wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    It was mostly about how they are mysterious unstoppable evil guys in black helmets. Their characters aren't similar, but they give off that same vibe of 'faceless executioner who's only reason for not killing you is because they don't want to'. I say Bondrewd is better, because he fits the exact same role Vader does, but only more terrifying because Vader will just kill you, Bondrewd won't make it easy, and he is far, FAR less predictable on top.
    I still don't think they're similar. Vader is very much human - human passions are exactly what brought him to Dark Side and his bitterness and rage is what keeps him there. He's ruthless because he learned that it is most effective way for him. Bondrewd probably doesn't even remembers what "ruthless" or any other human characteristic means. He'll pick you apart for experiments without feeling any shred of pretty much any emotion but curiosity. "Won't make it easy?" Why would he waste time for it? He will make it exactly the way he needs for experiment - no less and no more. Maybe he will feel some excitement if results turn out interesting enough. Otherwise his morality is pretty much blue and orange to our usual and Vader's black and white.
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.