Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    You realize that there are many racist assholes that swear irl, right? Particularly in poor communities.
    You don't say.

My point is that this video game decided to put these kind of people front and center a bit too often as they 1) reinforce the universe's edgy cred and 2) provide a conveniently endless supply of goons for Geralt to butcher if need be. Especially in Novigrad, I feel this sometimes came at the cost of making the characters and stories actually interesting rather than a parade of people I'm supposed to dislike.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    The hype is through the roof again. I guess this time they won't miss the release date after all.

I mean... how hard it would be to google for about 1 minute...? Like, why would you even think so?
    I did and there are so many cutscenes it's like watching a movie. And people seems to be hyped about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    I did and there are so many cutscenes it's like watching a movie. And people seems to be hyped about this...
    Here's the latest gameplay trailer, see if that answers your question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8lX3hDU30

If you played the Witcher 3, I don't expect it to deviate much from that game in terms of video cutscenes-to-gameplay ratio.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    You don't say.

My point is that this video game decided to put these kind of people front and center a bit too often as they 1) reinforce the universe's edgy cred and 2) provide a conveniently endless supply of goons for Geralt to butcher if need be. Especially in Novigrad, I feel this sometimes came at the cost of making the characters and stories actually interesting rather than a parade of people I'm supposed to dislike.
    Would you rather every character monologuing and speaking eloquently? What we have seen so far likely amounts to a handful of locations and interactions in a game that as a reportedly absurd amount of spoken dialogue. Everything they have done has kept the larger plot largely secret, so what they showcase is fodder or side missions. In my experience, pissed off people cuss, and lower social status or lower education people tend to say racist or offensive things. A lot of what we have seen in trailer takes place in slums. I am sure when we get a long dialogue from a Corp Suit type, they will grandstand and speak of evocative actions to rally their base, but if you expect every character in the game to speak like a classically trained actor i don't know what to tell you.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Brah. There was a fucking 48 minute long gameplay trailer back in 2018, which mostly consisted of MC doing something. You have not searched for anything at all.
    I am almost tempted to agree with Vakna.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

The game literally looks like a futuristic Fallout though. Like, this is what I think this game is pretty much. It's a bethesda type of game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    The game literally looks like a futuristic Fallout though. Like, this is what I think this game is pretty much. It's a bethesda type of game.
    An OBSIDIAN game, actually. The closest thing I can find to Cyberpunk's gameplay is Outer Worlds.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    An OBSIDIAN game, actually. The closest thing I can find to Cyberpunk's gameplay is Outer Worlds.
    In my view, that's definitely a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    That game was so dull and uninspired I really hope it isn't similar at all. I don't really see it either, driving and such is part of gameplay and Outer Worlds didn't have that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    That game was so dull and uninspired I really hope it isn't similar at all. I don't really see it either, driving and such is part of gameplay and Outer Worlds didn't have that.
    I'm mostly talking about the stat system and shooting gameplay, the two are still very much different in every other regards. Outer Worlds was mostly a stage-based shooter with a bit of open world dressing, Cyberpunk is an open world RPG through and through, and the combat is only one piece and not the centerpiece. It's still mostly about what you do between missions rather than during them.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just hope it can keep the "action" interesting. Most open world city games tend to be boring in my opinion. Since the whole "city" aspect doesn't translate well to a video game. The missions and stuff are usually great but the rest have mostly fallen flat.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Would you rather every character monologuing and speaking eloquently? What we have seen so far likely amounts to a handful of locations and interactions in a game that as a reportedly absurd amount of spoken dialogue. Everything they have done has kept the larger plot largely secret, so what they showcase is fodder or side missions. In my experience, pissed off people cuss, and lower social status or lower education people tend to say racist or offensive things. A lot of what we have seen in trailer takes place in slums. I am sure when we get a long dialogue from a Corp Suit type, they will grandstand and speak of evocative actions to rally their base, but if you expect every character in the game to speak like a classically trained actor i don't know what to tell you.
    I mean, that's a bit of a strawman. I said earlier that I understood that incidental banter with low-level thugs are unlikely to contain philosophical gems, and obviously promotional material would have a disproportionate amount of those to avoid spoilers. But even with this in mind much of the dialog sounded cliché to me, or trying to be edgy/mature for its own sake. Maybe the final product will dispel these doubts, I have no idea. But so far I'm not impressed is all.

And you don't need the VAs to speak like a classically trained actor to have good writing. The Outer Worlds had most of the game world be and sound like morons but the writing was still good across the board, even moreso for other Obsidian titles like New Vegas.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I mean, that's a bit of a strawman. I said earlier that I understood that incidental banter with low-level thugs are unlikely to contain philosophical gems, and obviously promotional material would have a disproportionate amount of those to avoid spoilers. But even with this in mind much of the dialog sounded cliché to me, or trying to be edgy/mature for its own sake. Maybe the final product will dispel these doubts, I have no idea. But so far I'm not impressed is all.

And you don't need the VAs to speak like a classically trained actor to have good writing. The Outer Worlds had most of the game world be and sound like morons but the writing was still good across the board, even moreso for other Obsidian titles like New Vegas.
    isnt like street vernacular is full of clichè and thug aggressiveness of its own sake. damn, in italian standard street swearing cant even be present because blasphemies are outlawed (but still heavily widespread)...

Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    isnt like street vernacular is full of clichè and thug aggressiveness of its own sake. damn, in italian standard street swearing cant even be present because blasphemies are outlawed (but still heavily widespread)...
    Yes which is why solid writers keep this in tact but make it satirical and funny as a result(rockstar, obsidian looking at you) where as in Cyberpunk 2077 it literally sounds like a 14 year old trying to act like a "thug" or "edgy". It's not funny here, it's lazy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Yes which is why solid writers keep this in tact but make it satirical and funny as a result(rockstar, obsidian looking at you) where as in Cyberpunk 2077 it literally sounds like a 14 year old trying to act like a "thug" or "edgy". It's not funny here, it's lazy.
    How and why is that lazy? Seems more authentic, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    How and why is that lazy? Seems more authentic, to me.
    No sorry, there is nothing authentic about a 14 year old trying to sound hard. Let alone when they are projecting grown adults to talk like that. Watch any good crime movie and if you can't tell the difference then you probably shouldn't be talking about writing.

No sorry, there is nothing authentic about a 14 year old trying to sound hard. Let alone when they are projecting grown adults to talk like that. Watch any good crime movie and if you can't tell the difference then you probably shouldn't be talking about writing.
    hardly i will take a crime movie as an example of realism, i prefer neo realist stuff for this, and surprise surprise, these are full of "edgy 14 year old" when they are depicting 14 years old. watch caligari's "amore tossico" to have an idea....

Have you played the entire game from start to finish and have you met every random npc and listen to their dialogue?

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Have you played the entire game from start to finish and have you met every random npc and listen to their dialogue?
    Ah yes, I'm sure they saved the super good writing for later!

Or we can accept reality, a few of the main quest lines will be written well and everything else will be shit. This is how it was in Witcher 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    hardly i will take a crime movie as an example of realism, i prefer neo realist stuff for this, and surprise surprise, these are full of "edgy 14 year old" when they are depicting 14 years old. watch caligari's "amore tossico" to have an idea....
    Ah yes because the human brain should function differently to the point where everyone sounds like a 14 year old playing CoD just because the source material is a satirical rip on unchecked capitalism.

Nice excuse but let's face reality, CDPR is not good at character interactions. Just look at their cringey ass sex scenes in Witcher for example. They are ok at writing a few focused story based quest lines and it basically ends there. The character interactions will likely always be shit, or designed to appeal to teenagers. Not sure which of the two but either way it's bad.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-11-21 at 08:14 PM.

It's meant to be sleazy and over the top. I get the feeling the people who are against it are just old and bitter.