Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    What she didn’t have influence in was anduins base foundation which started in the 2008 comics nor did she work on or any of the ingame appearances pre legion and even post legion as she doesn’t work on the lore direction.
    The source i've posted straight stated that Blizzard had no plans for Anduin, what sort of base was established in those comics?
    Heck, those comics implied he'd go into the direction of a Hunter, because he was training bows and other ranged weaponry.

The comics are hardly anything to go on, considering they were
    1.Terrible (Remember, those comics "taught" Blizzard that lore character taking credit for killing a boss, previously killed by Players is bad)
    2.Med'an
    Liking an already made character and wanting to continue the development started by some one else isn’t spawning a character how ever.
    Nobody ever said she created (or "spawned") the character.

And she hardly continued that development (because there was hardly anything), rather giving it a soft reboot.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Before Golden, Anduin was about as much of a character as Topper Mcnabb. Golden took a random NPC no one gave a shit about and created... that thing.
    That’s just comply untrue just go to the link Kealljin posted about anduin and go over the comic section. Here I’ll even quote some parts from it.

For Anduin's improvement in his archery, Varian granted him one reward. Anduin requested that the details of Varian's disappearance be further investigated.
    Later Anduin, Varian, Bolvar, and Lady Prestor were riding horseback through the countryside outside Stormwind, with Anduin imploring his father to listen to Stormwind's problems.
    he was convinced by Anduin and Valeera Sanguinar to attend citing that a human-orc alliance may benefit Stormwind's prosperity.[29] Anduin participated in the summit[30] and was thus present when the Twilight's Hammer attacked the city
    All of this is two or so years before golden had any thing to do with him all of the foundations of his character happened before golden.

7+ Year Old Account
    The problen isnt Golden including that stuff

The issue is whoever at Blizzard reads that and approves it
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    The source i've posted straight stated that Blizzard had no plans for Anduin, what sort of base was established in those comics?
    Heck, those comics implied he'd go into the direction of a Hunter, because he was training bows and other ranged weaponry.

The comics are hardly anything to go on
    go read the comics your self they aren’t hard to find even for free and pretty much every thing anduin is started there some Wiki snippets don’t give you any where near the full picture like how they don’t mention him talking with garrosh at the theramore summit.

He also wasn’t only training with the bow which is another detail wiki snippets won’t give you varian was training him to be a warrior which he wasn’t very good at which was later expanded upon with him becoming a priest.

Nobody ever said she created (or "spawned") the character.

And she hardly continued that development (because there was hardly anything), rather giving it a soft reboot.
    Not only should you read the comics your self you should Probably read the thread as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post

It more so seems that they don’t read though the novels to check for lore flubs any more. I went through rise of the lichking recently and it had a part siting all the people who go over the lore to check for flubs which the newier books don’t seem to have.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-12-01 at 05:26 PM.

He also wasn’t only training with the bow which is another detail wiki snippets won’t give you varian was training him to be a warrior which he wasn’t very good at which was later expanded upon with him becoming a priest.
    I knew that, it's just that in the comic he favored ranged weapons over Melee.

Mind you, that's even in the wiki, so yeah, but thanks for pointing out that i keep things short to not further derail this thread.
    Not only should you read the comics your self you should Probably read the thread as well.
    Correction: I didn't say she created Anduin.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Yeah, she's a highly experienced writer. The fact that your only criticisms here appear to be lore nitpicks (albeit ones a lot of people would have caught) speaks volumes, frankly. If you compare era where she's been writing to previous ones, the dialogue, motivation and so on for the characters are vastly improved. That's not all her - the improvement started in WoD (well, it started in MoP from a certain perspective, but I'd say not), and particularly in Legion, but is even more obvious in BfA and SL, which are just drastically better-written in terms of what characters say and how they say it. It doesn't really matter what what she's experienced with isn't super-high-quality stuff, because it's still higher-quality than most MMORPG writing.
    So the improvement started almost a decade after she started writing for Blizzard, yet a few years before she became anything more than a writer for hire often used by the company? And that has to do with her how, exactly? Also, WoW is constantly negatively compared in the writing department to TESO, FFXIV and SW:TOR. Sometimes even GW2. Which makes for all major competitors of WoW right now. So even if that improvement had anything to do with Golden, which you utterly failed to establish here, the results still wouldn't be exactly what you claim.

And you know what really speaks volumes here? The fact that my criticism wasn't about a lore nitpick, but about the abysmal research process on her part that caused the fuck-up that created the thing to be "nitpicked" in the first place (though given how she blew the Forsaken characterization across the board and I was just using the most glaring example from the perspective of what my criticism actually was, calling it a nitpick isn't accurate to begin with, because nitpicks are by definition related to tiny problems). I.e. the cause, not the effect. Which I spelled out right. Yet you had to twist it and harp on the effect of what I actually criticized, because you couldn't have defended her otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    This is just sad.

You clearly don't know what a decision-maker is (I kind of wonder what job you can possible do and be so divorced from reality on this), or are desperately hoping that I don't, and I go with this bullshit definition you want to use which is "has influence". No. Decision-makers are the people who have the final say. By your logic, most employees at a well-run businesses is "decision-maker", because they have some influence on decisions. But that's nonsense. In my job, I have have absolutely massive influence over certain decisions, people listen to me or seek out my advice, but my actual decision-making power is virtually non-existent, because I don't get the final say. Thus I'm not a decision-maker. Neither is Golden.

The idea that someone pitching ideas is a decision-maker is particularly deliciously ignorant.
    Uh-huh. Except by your totally not bullshit definition Danuser isn't a decision-maker either. Yet you called him that. Because the Lead Narrative Designer like Danuser still answers to WoW's Senior Creative Director of WoW like Afrasiabi, who in turn can be overturned either by the Game Director Ion or the Chief Creative Director of Blizzard like whoever is Pardo's replacement, who can still be overturned by people even higher up.

And even putting aside how your completely not arbitrary definition is so narrow as to be meaningless (it's almost as if you made it out of a desperate need to score a point or something), none of that changes the fact that by Blizzard's own admission the bulk of their creative process is a team job, with hands off approach from the higher ups (which led to things like Afrasiabi, then world designer, completely ignoring the planned direction for Garrosh when he wrote the Stonetalon questline, which was caught by absolutely no one and which Afrasiabi admitted years after the fact was his fault). And there's absolutely squat you can do about it.

So yeah, this is just sad indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    From my experience here, it's really becasue she's a woman is why she gets the hate.
    From your experience a writer can't write a character that's bigoted without being a bigot themselves, so your experience isn't exactly some golden standard of evidence. Is Danuser a woman too? Because he gets shit on constant basis too. And when it comes to WoW book writers, no one will ever beat Knaak in that department. Who for some weird reason also does not appear to be a woman.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2020-12-01 at 06:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Correction: I didn't say she created Anduin.
    Fair enough.

7+ Year Old Account
    It more so seems that they don’t read though the novels to check for lore flubs any more. I went through rise of the lichking recently and it had a part siting all the people who go over the lore to check for flubs which the newier books don’t seem to have.
    In Before the Storm, for example, they show Genn smashing the floor with his tail in anger
    Worgen do not have tails and Golden later admitted she messed up

So it really seems there's no one proof reading the novels. Or if they do, they don't have the heart to tell the writers they made a mistake
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

7+ Year Old Account
    In Before the Storm, for example, they show Genn smashing the floor with his tail in anger

So it really seems there's no one proof reading the novels. Or if they do, they don't have the heart to tell the writers they made a mistake
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the earlier proof readers who were sited in the lichking book got laid off at some point and they just have some one giving the books a glance before approving them now.

Though it is possible there are proof readers listed in the physical books and they just don’t site them in the audio ones any more as that’s how I go though them.

More likely they just want to keep their job. Remember, Golden is an "award winning author", no intern has a right to tell her she is wrong.

Regardless of whether they proof-read or not (which they don't even when it comes to in-house work like the case of Afrasiabi's Stonetalon questline that went against the planned direction for Garrosh and no one caught it), Golden still shares the blame. First of all, doing her research is a part of her job and when writing for an already established IP part of the research is familiarizing oneself with stuff like the setting's races. Secondly, Blizzard has a dedicated team under Copeland that is tasked with (among other things) answering any questions and concerns any writer for Blizzard has. She quite obviously never asked this question and if she felt any concern, she ignored that feeling.

A senior writer who doesn’t work on the lore team and has already laid out what she actually does at blizzard? Not ridiculous at all unless again you have something to point to her lying about her role in the company.
    Except the lore team is not what you think it is. The lore team is the part of Creative Development Team of Blizzard's Story and Franchise (which in turn is a division of Blizzard Enternainment itself and, as the name suggests, deals with the story of Blizzard games) under Sean Copeland, with him being the Historian Supervisor (previously Head of Lore) of the CDev Team. I.e. the people responsible for setting things straight in terms of lore. Which is why Golden mentioned the lore team in a response to a tweet about Genn's age.

You also seem to be under the impression that each game has its own dedicated writing team. Which isn't the case either. It's Blizzard's SFD's job. While members of the WoW's team like Lead World Designers and Lead Narrative Designers do partake in writing some of the stuff, the ones fulfilling the bulk of the narrative design tasks from game teams are the people working at the CDev team (the same goes for things like cinematics).

Kinda why WoW credits give no credits to any writers in the part covering the WoW team itself. They mention only people like the Lead Narrative Designer (Danuser), one other narrative-related designer, i.e. Additional Narrative Design (Justin Parker) and the Creative Director (Afrasiabi; though technically in case of Shadowlands he's credited only as "other leadership"). Plus the other higher ups that may occasionally engage in some writing, like Afrasiabi did when he was the Lead World Designer. The writers credited for WoW though (seems to be the senior writers only) are mentioned only in the section for the SFD, not the WoW team. You know, precisely where Golden works.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2020-12-01 at 07:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Words.
    Ya ya that’s a a lot of nice supposition and all do you have any thing of actual value to prove all of her tweets lies? I mean literally any thing would be nice as quotes like these paint a pretty clear picture.

Story ideas and direction come from game team. It’s the cinematics team’s jobs to realize their vision in the best possible manner.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ChristieG...08187830259715

Wasn't Alex, "Furor" from Everquest fame, before joining Blizzard?

Exactly, but it's hard to get some in this crowd to seriously see that.

Hate blinds huh, and it's easy to pick on the lady.

Personally I think what we get is exactly what blizzard wanted, they are the ones that direc ttheir writers as to what is to happen and the main plot points, the wirter uses their skill to make it come alive and enjoyable to read.

They don't design and direct the content, andin the cases they are given that freedom, it only goes forth with dev approval. If they are to scared to ask a writer to redo or change outcomes, that's on them too, not on the writer.

And even if they blame hte writer, who hired the writer? They did.

Quote Originally Posted by heef View Post
    BREAKING: People change jobs sometimes
    Yep, indeed. It often seems so odd sometimes reading the commentaries on these. Have people not worked in real jobs? Do they not see how 14 years can be way more than enough in one job before wanting to switch? (14 years, the number in this case, being way, way longer than most people want to stay with one company.)

Addendum: Reading a bit down the thread, it is quite clear most commentators aren't remotely aware at all about how companies function. Depressing.
    Last edited by Fewane; 2020-12-01 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    All you can see is the point where she officialy became employee of Blizzard. Her toxic influence started spreading since she started writing warcraft novels.
    You mean since 2001? Yeah, WC3 and everything following it had really bad stories...

Do you even read what you write?
    Last edited by LordVargK; 2020-12-01 at 10:10 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    You mean since 2001? Yeah, WC3 and everything following it had really bad stories...

Do you even read what you write?
    Back then, she was just a writer for hire, who had just written a couple of books (surprisingly the best of her WoW career, so far) and little else. She became a permanent addition to the SFD (writing) department some time during MoP, and soon you could see the results of her work in that abomination that is War Crimes. You know, the same book which started with that preachy tone that has impregnated the whole narrative ever since.

Trying to excuse her as if she was some kind of typewriting drone simply doesn't go well with her current status as Senior Writer. Maybe she doesn't have the last word, but her opinion certainly carries some weight, seeing as how Metzen himself accepted (albeit reluctantly) her suggestion about the soon-to-be Golden Boi.

Oh, and the "sexist" waggling finger is just funny, considering how guys like Knaak, Kosak, Danuser or Afrasiabi have received far more flak (and rightfully so) than Golden ever has.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Back then, she was just a writer for hire, who had just written a couple of books (surprisingly the best of her WoW career, so far) and little else. She became a permanent addition to the SFD (writing) department some time during MoP, and soon you could see the results of her work in that abomination that is War Crimes. You know, the same book which started with that preachy tone that has impregnated the whole narrative ever since.
    where in the world did you get that she was a permanent addition in mop? She was freelance up till 2017 where they hired her as temp before making her full time the same year. For reference war crimes came out in 2014 that's three whole years before she was even a temp there.

you guys have an insane amount of conspiracy theory's surrounding the women.

5+ Year Old Account
    you guys have an insane amount of conspiracy theory's surrounding the women.
    Dude/tte, kindly drop the knight-in-shining-armour routine, it's frankly cringeworthy and unneeded, especially there is nothing sexist here other than your odd perceptions. Btw, good work cutting out my last paragraph, but feel free to go on with your "sexist" strawmen lawl.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Dude/tte, kindly drop the knight-in-shining-armour routine, it's frankly cringeworthy and unneeded, especially there is nothing sexist here other than your odd perceptions. Btw, good work cutting out my last paragraph, but feel free to go on with your "sexist" strawmen lawl.
    where exactly do you see the word sexist in my post? I cut out even your mention of it as I really don't care about it one way or another and it's not relevant to you just making shit up.

its also hilarious that you say I'm using a strawman when you ignored the whole of my post to attack your own sexist strawman, keep making up complete nonsense ill keep pointing out that you have no grasp on reality