Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Is SL leveling boring?

I decided, that gold is pointless anyway, if I wouldn't play this game, so I decided to spend it on tokens and buy SL and month of sub for them. Just because this game doesn't have endgame trial, so it's "buy to try" thing.

And first thing I've noticed - leveling is boring. Not because it's easy. It should be easy. This happens, when Blizzard focus too much on story and forget about fun. It just doesn't bring such feeling of excitement, as Cata or WOD leveling. I've been playing for 3 days, but I'm just level 55 and I've just started Maldraxxsus. And I've already got tired of leveling after Bastion. Yeah, we can skip it on alts. But leveling is usually major part of content for me, so I like, when it's replayable. Skipping it will remove big part of content from me. I just hope, that endgame will be better.

I can't say, what is wrong with it. Overall it's idea is understandable. To show you Covenants, so you would be able to make your choice. I understand, that back in old Vanilla-WotLK times leveling was even slower. It was like journey. Reaching max level was really like a festival. That's, why devs were sending fireworks to you to celebrate it. But something has changed in leveling process since Legion. It started to be way too "serious" and "dry". It's focused on story too much. And what makes content replayable? Yeah, if you already know that story, it's not interesting for you to see it again, again and again. And it's not compensated by other factors, such as fun or feel of progression.

Overall I feel, that what I do - isn't meaningful. I already know, what Covenant my characters will join. And therefore this "introduction" isn't interesting for me. It's just some sort of time gating before doing actual Covenant content. Blizzard just don't make leveling as some sort of standalone content, that is meaningful by itself. It's about story and story is unfortunately one-time thing.

In this case WOD leveling was the best. You were working towards progression of your Garrison back then. Dunno why, but it was bringing (and still brings) the biggest satisfaction feeling and excitement to me. Because it's some sort of per-character progression, that is still interesting even after completing it once. SL leveling is just...meh? Something happens. I do something. Kill some mobs. Collect some trash. Help somebody. But for what? I won't chose Maldraxxus on this character anyway. Why should I know anything about it? Why should I help somebody?
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2020-12-04 at 05:48 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

dreadfully so,

only because you cant rush the storylines, as Ardenweald is lag central, and has been for most servers since launch.

and Revendreth is just behind it.

so it bottlenecks your story progression.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    dreadfully so,

only because you cant rush the storylines, as Ardenweald is lag central, and has been for most servers since launch.

What? I play on Moon Guard and leveled to 60 within the first two days and didn't experience lag in any zone. Ardenweald certainly was more demanding graphically, but that isn't lag.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I decided, that gold is pointless anyway, if I wouldn't play this game, so I decided to spend it on tokens and buy SL and month of sub for them. Just because this game doesn't have endgame trial, so it's "buy to try" thing.

And first thing I've noticed - leveling is boring. Not because it's easy. It should be easy. This happens, when Blizzard focus too much on story and forget about fun. It just doesn't bring such feeling of excitement, as Cata or WOD leveling. I've been playing for 3 days, but I'm just level 55 and I've just started Maldraxxsus. And I've already got tired of leveling after Bastion. Yeah, we can skip it on alts. But leveling is usually major part of content for me, so I like, when it's replayable. Skipping it will remove big part of content from me. I just hope, that endgame will be better.
    From all your posts I think you really just need to let this game go. It's very common for people to become bitter about things they once enjoyed but it's not healthy. Just move on!

I'm still playing and enjoying the game, but I will agree leveling wasn't as good as it has been. I can't pin point where/why, but by the time I got to level 58 I was begging to just be at 60 because I was bored.

Felt this expansion took a step back in that regard, as I overall enjoyed (as much as you can) leveling in Warlords, Legion (most enjoyed) and BfA. I think part of it is the "Main Quest" approach, similar to FFXIV. If all you want is story, then it's great. If you want to go out and kill stuff, it's not. Maybe I just pin pointed my problem.

Again, not writing off the expansion, just was a little let down during leveling.

I think the main story line is really good. Ardenweald was pretty terrible though.

I basically did full Loremaster when I leveled my main, kind of looking forward just doing main story and ignoring everything else on my alts.

However, I still don't know why Blizzard insist on forcing us to endlessly repeat crap like the Maw intro, Neck and Cloak crap in BFA.
    Haven't managed to will myself to pull any alt through it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by Moridius View Post
    I'm still playing and enjoying the game, but I will agree leveling wasn't as good as it has been. I can't pin point where/why, but by the time I got to level 58 I was begging to just be at 60 because I was bored.

Felt this expansion took a step back in that regard, as I overall enjoyed (as much as you can) leveling in Warlords, Legion (most enjoyed) and BfA. I think part of it is the "Main Quest" approach, similar to FFXIV. If all you want is story, then it's great. If you want to go out and kill stuff, it's not. Maybe I just pin pointed my problem.

Again, not writing off the expansion, just was a little let down during leveling.
    I bet blizzard has the data on who bothered to do side quests this expansion. I personally didn't really do them because I see the reward is like 2 gold and I'm just like.. "I should spend this time doing more important things right now like getting my weekly anima or getting more honor points."

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, but SL leveling was the best for me. It wasnt long, well-paced I'd say.

You have some side-quest options, which I liked, because I wanted to visit Ardenweld asap and could see, where I can go to progress with the story. The most pleasant experience for me was... Maldraxxus, lol. I even wanted to choose a covenant there for a second just because I liked questing and characters there.

Maybe you've completed all quests and that made your leveling boring... I Dont know, though I reached max level in 4-5 days because of work, maybe thats why I didnt find it bland, boring, or dunno...

Well, the best leveling experience for me is SL. The last time I really enjoyed questing was WotLK. Finally I've felt something similar after all these years, haha.
    (Well and vanilla in 2006 for sure, first time leveling is always eventful )
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    dreadfully so,

I think i found your problem.
    Perhaps you think it's boring because you rush through things and miss the story.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I bet blizzard has the data on who bothered to do side quests this expansion. I personally didn't really do them because I see the reward is like 2 gold and I'm just like.. "I should spend this time doing more important things right now like getting my weekly anima or getting more honor points."
    Yeah, I wanted to do side quests, where I feel the more "engaging" content for someone like me would have been. Problem is I know you had to finish the main quest line to progress with your covenant, so I felt doing side quests wasn't a good use of time until I completed the main quest line, which I didn't do until after I hit 60.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moridius View Post
    Yeah, I wanted to do side quests, where I feel the more "engaging" content for someone like me would have been. Problem is I know you had to finish the main quest line to progress with your covenant, so I felt doing side quests wasn't a good use of time until I completed the main quest line, which I didn't do until after I hit 60.
    I mean the whole game is engaging. you don't get to say the game is boring for skipping content you chose not to engage in. That's just a dishonest argument.

I've never found leveling particularly enjoyable. SL leveling is nice because it's fast and there's a few options as to how to do it which are all equally viable for different playstyles. At the end of the day it's entirely subjective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusken View Post
    I've never found leveling particularly enjoyable. SL leveling is nice because it's fast and there's a few options as to how to do it which are all equally viable for different playstyles. At the end of the day it's entirely subjective.
    Why do you play World of Warcraft then?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    There's no exploration if the entire thing is on rails. That's what it is.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean your argument, which is basically just circular reasoning (boils down to "All the content is engaging, so how can you say any of it is not engaging?") seems far more dishonest to me.
    Is that supposed to make sense cause it really doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Redzonetode View Post
    What? I play on Moon Guard and leveled to 60 within the first two days and didn't experience lag in any zone. Ardenweald certainly was more demanding graphically, but that isn't lag.
    Yes, because RP sharding functions very differently from normal server sharding.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

I enjoyed the main story just fine; I did it on Beta too, so I've seen it a few times now.

But Threads of Fate alone makes SL leveling pretty awesome IMO, especially since you don't even get to choose the order of zones in the main story this time around. I'm glad they did it this way.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    I mean the whole game is engaging. you don't get to say the game is boring for skipping content you chose not to engage in. That's just a dishonest argument.
    Think Scrod already threw out a pretty solid response, but for myself, my answer was not intended to be taken at the most basic level of things...

I finished bastion and have not yet been able to bring myself to log in again since then. Before now I've NEVER had a leveling experience bore me so bad I didn't even want to keep playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I'll boil it down. You started off your argument by asserting that "all content is engaging" which is clearly something that many people would disagree with. Then you based the rest of your point on that arbitrary assertion, meaning it's a completely useless argument based on nothing other than you random asserting the thing that is really the main point of contention here.
    Problem was its basicly the same assumption(only the other way around) that the OP made. Attacking only one side of this baseless discussion seems dishonest

Edit:

It suprises me how many hardcore people on mmo-champ turns out to be casual plebs when it comes down to it :P

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I recommend doing them when you do some world quests for the extra reputation. But overall, I agree. I have made little progress on the various Loremaster achievements, Sojourner or whatever it is.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    I recommend doing them when you do some world quests for the extra reputation. But overall, I agree. I have made little progress on the various Loremaster achievements, Sojourner or whatever it is.
    People forgot what optional content means :/