Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    It was alright, I was shocked it wasn't full of 80's music that the trailer set up...

10+ Year Old Account
    This movie sucked hard.. story made no sense what-so-ever and the CGI was pretty poor at some points. Also the entire 80s setting did absolutely nothing for the film it could've been any time and it wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference.

Also why did everyone get their wish fulfilled literally except for WW? Some dude just had his body snatched because in her 800+ years of living the only thing Wonder Woman wished for was her +- 2 week boyfriend.. wtf man?! The entire "wishing" power was just done bad anyway.

Also I'm getting really tired of the "men are bad" schtick we're seeing in movies nowadays ;/ like every dude in this movie was a douche except for the love intrest.. who didn't even have to be there, we already had the fish out of water story in the first movie.

Oh and the fact that Steve could pilot a 80s jet just because he was a world war 1 pilot made no sense at all.. it's not like riding a bike.. and apparently he'd never seen or heard of fireworks or trains
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post

Also I'm getting really tired of the "men are bad" schtick we're seeing in movies nowadays ;/ like every dude in this movie was a douche except for the love intrest.. who didn't even have to be there, we already had the fish out of water story in the first movie.
    I didn't get that vibe from the movie; I mean the main villain was a man or a rock, depending on your point of view but yeah didn't pick up on any anti men vibe

Good movie. Not as good as the first though imo. While I saw the gist of the villain.. I didn't feel his gimmick lend itself to well to kicking ass which is kind of a staple of comic book/superhero movies. The other villain was just kind of a side villain that just showed up at the end so Wonder Woman would actually have someone to throw hands with. Pedro did a kick ass job though because he was more or less given the role of "act like an evil rock that gives wishes would" as a character. If he was more the side villain and the other was the main villain it probably would have worked better because it would have ended with the epic fight instead of sad boy learning his lesson.

As far as production goes the movie had a lot of those "darkness" shots where you got to have your TV tuned just about perfectly to see what is going on and even then it is questionable to why it is so damn dark all the time. Had my family asking me if anyone in the 80s turned on lights in the house at night or why did everyone do everything at night in a city without any lights. I don't mind this to set a mood per say but when it gets up to a quarter of the movie it gets to the point where I am asking.. fuck.. can we just do something in the day time now? It wasn't jaring and it didn't ruin the movie but it certainly was noticed.

So over all the acting was better than the first movie. The setting and mood wasn't as good though and it will be hard to beat no mans land WW1 stuff for action. When the movie had action it was really good, but the action wasn't really that numerous and I felt was a little lacking for a superhero movie. Probably cut out 15 minutes of dark talking to each other in dark houses and add in 15 more minutes of action you probably have a better movie. I would give the first movie a solid A grade. For sure one of the best DC movies, and ranks right up there with some of the better Marvel movies when it comes to the superhero genre. This one however falls down to a B- or so for me and maybe even a C+ depending on if you are someone that doesn't have your TV screen setup really well.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2020-12-27 at 04:19 PM.

Oh and the fact that Steve could pilot a 80s jet just because he was a world war 1 pilot made no sense at all.. it's not like riding a bike.. and apparently he'd never seen or heard of fireworks or trains
    I enjoyed the movie overall, but that particular point really bugged the fuck out of me. He shouldn't have been able to do that.

Watched it and I want my 2h and 31minutes back. Looks like the movie itself caught COVID.
    Everything from plot, script, CGI, sound was so out of touch and wacky.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Good movie. Not as good as the first though imo. While I saw the gist of the villain.. I didn't feel his gimmick lend itself to well to kicking ass which is kind of a staple of comic book/superhero movies. The other villain was just kind of a side villain that just showed up at the end so Wonder Woman would actually have someone to throw hands with. Pedro did a kick ass job though because he was more or less given the role of "act like an evil rock that gives wishes would" as a character. If he was more the side villain and the other was the main villain it probably would have worked better because it would have ended with the epic fight instead of sad boy learning his lesson. As far as production goes the movie had a lot of those "darkness" shots where you got to have your TV tuned just about perfectly to see what is going on and even then it is questionable to why it is so damn dark all the time. Had my family asking me if anyone in the 80s turned on lights in the house at night or why did everyone do everything at night in a city without any lights. I don't mind this to set a mood per say but when it gets up to a quarter of the movie it gets to the point where I am asking.. fuck.. can we just do something in the day time now? It wasn't jaring and it didn't ruin the movie but it certainly was noticed.

So over all the acting was better than the first movie. The setting and mood wasn't as good though and it will be hard to beat no mans land WW1 stuff for action. When the movie had action it was really good, but the action wasn't really that numerous and I felt was a little lacking for a superhero movie. Probably cut out 15 minutes of dark talking to each other in dark houses and add in 15 more minutes you probably have a better movie. I would give the first movie a solid A grade. For sure one of the best DC movies, and ranks right up there with some of the better Marvel movies when it comes to the superhero genre. This one however falls down to a B- or so for me and maybe even a C+ depending on if you are someone that doesn't have your TV screen setup really well.
    what they should've done was had Diana and Barbara use the stone & they get their wishes but nobody else does. Diana realises it's bad, rescinds hers which pisses off the God (Pascal) who was responsible for the stone who then attacks Diana, forcing Barbara to help him. I can't remember the name of the God but it could've manifested in the form of Maxwell Lord and had the real Maxwell Lord incapacitated

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    what they should've done was had Diana and Barbara use the stone & they get their wishes but nobody else does. Diana realises it's bad, rescinds hers which pisses off the God (Pascal) who was responsible for the stone who then attacks Diana, forcing Barbara to help him. I can't remember the name of the God but it could've manifested in the form of Maxwell Lord and had the real Maxwell Lord incapacitated
    That would have made a lot more sense as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't get that vibe from the movie; I mean the main villain was a man or a rock, depending on your point of view but yeah didn't pick up on any anti men vibe
    It didn't come from the villain, he was fine. It came from every man that stared at or cat-called Barbara and Diana in multiple scenes and how in the opening mall scene it was only men doing crimes and WW saving women and girls.. yet she ignored the girls that shoplifted.

Also now that I think about it, unrelated to whats above, but how exactly did Pascals character even know about the stone?
    Kintama no kami aru

10+ Year Old Account
    Terrible movie in comparison to the first one, whose only fault was a terrible final fight.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    It didn't come from the villain, he was fine. It came from every man that stared at or cat-called Barbara and Diana in multiple scenes and how in the opening mall scene it was only men doing crimes and WW saving women and girls.. yet she ignored the girls that shoplifted.

Also now that I think about it, unrelated to whats above, but how exactly did Pascals character even know about the stone?
    I mean the catcalling and shit I thought was just an effort to make it seem very 80’s. I thought the old guy staring at the fitness class was pretty funny. As for the only targeting male criminals I mean maybe she did stop the shoplifters just off screen. The only crime fighting scene that mattered was the one that advanced the plot.

As for your second point well my post 2 above yours could’ve explained that pretty well

Edit: wonder how the PC crowd will handle the fact that if Diana slept with the dude Steve was possessing (strongly implied that she did) then she technically raped the dude
    Last edited by MrLachyG; 2020-12-27 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I enjoyed the movie overall, but that particular point really bugged the fuck out of me. He shouldn't have been able to do that.
    Yeah, that bugged me a lot more than most other things that bugged me. I'm fine with god magic making the invisible jet, but having a fueled jetplane on a runway ready for launch and operated by a WW1 pilot just killed it for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Only the one repeat guy that goes from cat-call to assault, is somehow drunk/fat/suited hanging out on a park bench, but also catch up to her because heels or something? really bugged me as an obvious offensive trope that was too heavy handed and obviously dumb.

Not only did he find out it existed, but the cash poor guy bought if from black market smugglers who are smuggling a "cheap poor fake stone" along with the actual artifacts because raisins. This happened so the guys could steal it to get it in the hands of the museum so the plot could happen...

Though I guess the Pitch Meeting will write itself this time.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

There was one scene where Kirsten Wig's character is jogging. She passes 3(4?) white guys, all of whom are loitering drunk in the street and each one letches after her as she passes. She beats one to a pulp (its fine, hes just a guy), before the poor black man (cos, you know, black people are poor) tells her to stop.

Fucking awful movie.

Did everyone else here watch it on HBOMax? I decided to go with that option, despite not being in the US, but the streaming quality was very poor. At first I thought it might have been just WW84, but some other movies and shows I streamed also looked really shitty, as in the picture was blotchy and blurry, like 2005 beta youtube quality. And it only occured on my PC, looked better on my phone and tablet but there was no way I'd watch this movie on a phone. Obviously a VPN was used for all of them, but speedtest showed almost no throttling compared to my regular bandwidth.

Anyway, the movie was a 6 or 6.5/10 for me. It was ok, but not as good as the first movie.

Definitely lacked the emotion of the original, such as the "No Man's Land" scene, where all the soldiers are hunkered in their trenches, just shooting blindly, as villagers and refugees are just helplessly begging anyone for help. And none of the soldiers are helping; maybe they want to, but why risk their lives for some insignificant gains. Then WW hears them all, sees how the men are unwilling, sees how they want her to abandon people in need, to go against what she has come to do! She did not leave Themyscira to cower in fear and let others do her work, she came to the world of mankind to temper them, to free them from oppression, fear and rage that rules them! So she god damn puts her armour on, goes on to the battlefield and does what Amazonians do best!

So yeah, the second movie had none of that. Maybe hints of it in a few spots, but nothing to elevate it from a mediocre movie to a pretty good or even great movie.

Pros:

- Opening scene was nice, showing us that it's not just WW that is badass. All Amazonians are badass.
    - WW used the power of love, which was nice.
    - The scene where she rescinds her wish and learns how to fly was lovely.
    - The desperation of WW wanting to still protect mankind, yet not willing to give up the thing she yearns for was nicely done.
    - Minerva had an ok development throughout the movie, I liked how she went from desperate human to strong-willed villain. It was pleasant seeing the actor go from a comedic take to a more serious one as the movie progresses.
    - The Asteria story was cute. Cool armour as well. And the original WW appears post-credits, I enjoyed that.

Cons:

- Music. I expected some 80's influence. I expected the song from the trailer. I can't remember if any of that was playing, that is how unmemorable the music was.
    - The kid playing Alistair Lord seemed really out of place. It was cute how he wished for his daddy to be with him, but that was the only thing that worked.
    - The whole Maxwell Lord thing. Don't get me wrong, the character was charismatic, I really enjoyed that, and he was unscrupulous, that was really enjoyable as well, but the story definitely should have developed with him becoming the God of Lies after consuming the artifact, and then as he gathers more wishes (or rather, more believers since that's what fuels gods) he becomes more powerful. But it ended with a whimper. Meh.
    - Cheetah. Cool character, but finally appears only at the end of the movie, and she also rescinds her wish? But why? WW using the power of love could definitely not sway her! Definitely absolutely not!
    - The Asteria armour gets broken so easily and wasted. An armour that supposedly held back the armies of man can't even survive a few claw strikes. Ridiculous.
    - Some special effects and some story points felt very unfinished, which is odd 'cos with the numerous delays the movie has had and considering there were even filming opportunities for reshoots during summer, the movie has definitely had enough time to be properly finished and polished. As it is, it feels like there is something missing (and the movie already lasts 2h30m)

TLDR: don't waste 15$ for HBOMax just to watch this movie. If there are other things you want to see there, then go ahead. But subscribing just for the movie is not worth it.
    Last edited by Diaspar; 2020-12-27 at 05:57 PM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    There was one scene where Kirsten Wig's character is jogging. She passes 3(4?) white guys, all of whom are loitering drunk in the street and each one letches after her as she passes. She beats one to a pulp (its fine, hes just a guy), before the poor black man (cos, you know, black people are poor) tells her to stop.

Fucking awful movie.
    Well were you expecting women to stare at her? That’s what happened in the 80’s they were just being realistic. Also the guy she beat up kinda had it coming. Plus that was part of her character development; she went from kind hearted to the complete opposite

I watched it unfortunately. If you like bucketloads of bad CG, nonsensical plot and story beats and bad acting you will love it.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

5+ Year Old Account
    I think some of u guys over-react...yeah most baddies are guys, just like irl...that doesn't mean 'woke'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I think some of u guys over-react...yeah most baddies are guys, just like irl...that doesn't mean 'woke'
    Men being baddies is fine. Almost every man in the movie being lecherous is not. Like really just for a laugh watch the scenes with Barbara jogging, going to work or Diana arriving at the party again and pay attention to all the men around them giving them looks like LET ME F YOU. Hell even that ridiculous opening scene with the women doing yoga in the middle of the gym has some men staring at asses.. And don't give me that "oh it's the 80s" crap, it's horseshit.

Another hilarious thing is how two doctors go out for dinner and all they have to talk about is "hey, you ever been in love?" come on.. who tf wrote this shit
    Kintama no kami aru

That’s what happened in the 80’s they were just being realistic.

It really didn't.

This was really bad. There's almost nothing in it worth recommending. Why was it even set in 1984? There was no reason for that except that it allowed some lame 80s jokes and costumes. We learn absolutely nothing about WW herself. What has she been doing the last 70 years? Why does she have this job? Why hasn't she met anyone else in 70 years she likes as much as Steve?

The plot was total nonsense. I gave up trying to follow the wish rules, and I think the movie did too. I also got a Solo vibe from it: they wanted to show us iconic parts of Wonder Woman lore (invisible jet, flying), and then stuck them into the story even if it didn't make sense. And did we really need another movie that powers down the main superhero as a plot point?

The dialogue by the end made me want to turn into Jules from Pulp Fiction: "Say 'wish' again. Say 'wish' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say 'wish' one more goddamn time".