10+ Year Old Account
    What in the fuck is actually being talked about in this thread right now?

This is reeking of Jordan Peterson's nonsense about Lobsters being a justification for the wage gap or whatever inanity.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Oh look, other content that's online and therefore not Donald Trump. You do understand how "proof by contradiction" works, right? Next time you're going to walk your opinion out here, make sure you bring a plastic bag to clean up after it. There's a fine for leaving your shit all over the place.
    You talk single wolf and single dog, I talk wolf pack vs wolf pack. You may not like human nature, but it is what it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Reality says humans are social animals that form groups that are generally exclusive and have a hierarchy. Some of these groups we belong to by choice, others we do not.
    When you say “groups are generally exclusive”... you are not saying anything... the wishy washy some do this, others do that... is trying to conform your observation, to an existing bias. What I am saying, is not up for debate. It is what it is...

- - - Updated - - -

You talk single wolf and single dog, I talk wolf pack vs wolf pack. You may not like human nature, but it is what it is.
    Yellowstone Park is a conservation area... are you arguing if humans were in a similar predicament, they would act like dogs? Because, I think they would act like human beings...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    You talk single
    And you talk like you don't just expect the human race to fall apart, but that you're pushing for it. I don't know what bit your leg in life to give you this negative attitude, but don't take your childhood trauma out on us. We didn't bite you.

Nor did we lie to you nonstop for four years while blowing racist dog whistles and calling everyone else a traitor. If you're really tired of the divisiveness, I know where you can start. Let me know how that goes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    When you say “groups are generally exclusive”... you are not saying anything... the wishy washy some do this, others do that... is trying to conform your observation, to an existing bias. What I am saying, is not up for debate. It is what it is...
    He says you join these groups by choice, also you have no choice because its human nature, what's hard to understand about that?
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    He says you join these groups by choice, also you have no choice because its human nature, what's hard to understand about that?
    When I look outside my window, everything is flat... it’s the same logic... conforming observation to an existing bias.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    That’s not how empathy works... it’s why fascist dehumanize... it’s why Trump talks about Mexicans, as rapists and murderers... if he talked about them like human beings, he wouldn’t get the ratings and the support from scared little babies.

- - - Updated - - -

I get to put several courses of psychology and sociology to use... it’s so useless in IT...
    That does not counter my saying empathy is needed for the pack. And it is not just fascist that dehumanize.

Just like political science and philosophy classes dont do much for engineering....

10+ Year Old Account
    That does not counter my saying empathy is needed for the pack. And it is not just fascist that dehumanize.
    No, treating other human being as a different pack, is not empathy. Empathy =/= Kinship... :/

Just like political science and philosophy classes dont do much for engineering....
    Uhm... the most common way to hack people, is social engineering... stop assuming...

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Yellowstone Park is a conservation area... are you arguing if humans were in a similar predicament, they would act like dogs? Because, I think they would act like human beings...
    There are exceptions for all human constructs, that does not make them the norm. Its obviously debatable because that is what we are doing.

Yes, we would act like humans, which is far less civilized than acting like wolves when push comes to shove.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are exceptions for all human constructs, that does not make them the norm. Its obviously debatable because that is what we are doing.
    I’m sorry, this isn’t a debate... I am explaining very basic concepts of sociology. I am not justifying your commentary, as equal to what I am saying... don’t misunderstand... this is a learning opportunity, not a debate.

Yes, we would act like humans, which is far less civilized than acting like wolves when push comes to shove.
    That is simply lunacy... sorry...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    And you talk like you don't just expect the human race to fall apart, but that you're pushing for it. I don't know what bit your leg in life to give you this negative attitude, but don't take your childhood trauma out on us. We didn't bite you.

Nor did we lie to you nonstop for four years while blowing racist dog whistles and calling everyone else a traitor. If you're really tired of the divisiveness, I know where you can start. Let me know how that goes.
    Yes I expect humans to kill each other off eventually, but that does not mean I am pushing for it (though the rest of the planet would be better off).

I was never a supporter of Trump. I did not vote for him. I agreed with very little of what he has done.

- - - Updated - - -

I said you join some by choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I expect humans to kill each other off eventually, but that does not mean I am pushing for it (though the rest of the planet would be better off).

I was never a supporter of Trump. I did not vote for him. I agreed with very little of what he has done.
    I take you being defensive and making completely irrelevant points... as a concession... Why should I care if you support Trump? Nothing I said relies on it... we are done...

- - - Updated - - -

I’m a double agent... am in all the tribes... wahahahahahaha!!!!

Edit: No!!!! Fuck that... am a lone wolf... belonging to no tribe... me, my motorcycle and my dog... riding thro... oh god damn it, I’m Mad Max... coooool....
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-01-13 at 06:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, treating other human being as a different pack, is not empathy. Empathy =/= Kinship... :/

Uhm... the most common way to hack people, is social engineering... stop assuming...
    Empathy is required for group cohesion.

Social "engineering" is as much art as science, besides I was talking electrical/mechanical engineering.

Would the planet be better off? We're just changing it, that's all, which many new species have done before. We're changing it away from the status quo which benefits us, which is pretty stupid in the long term, but at least some of us are spotting that fact, still a chance we could solve the problem. Humans are the preeminent problem solvers of the universe so far as I'm aware (granted that's frightening if true), so I still hold out hope that the long term problems we've identified can be solved. I don't really have an expectation for the future; we could die off tomorrow or carry on for millions of years - we are way too ignorant to predict which.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m sorry, this isn’t a debate... I am explaining very basic concepts of sociology. I am not justifying your commentary, as equal to what I am saying... don’t misunderstand... this is a learning opportunity, not a debate.

Yes, you are talking about basic concepts, and I am talking about it in a macro level.

Lunacy is the hundreds of millions of war deaths since 1900 alone. Lunacy is being able to wipe out all higher life on the planet is a matter of minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Empathy is required for group cohesion.
    For the last time... that is kinship... not empathy... two different words... tribalism exploits kinship, not empathy... what you are saying is ridiculous...

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, you are talking about basic concepts, and I am talking about it in a macro level.

Lunacy is the hundreds of millions of war deaths since 1900 alone. Lunacy is being able to wipe out all higher life on the planet is a matter of minutes.
    This doesn’t mean anything... you are now in the virtue signaling stage...

Edit: Did you see the Arnold video? Why were the families in Austria, filled with drunks, after WW2? What were they drinking away and why didn’t they realize it as they were doing it?

<——-
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-01-13 at 06:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I take you being defensive and making completely irrelevant points... as a concession... Why should I care if you support Trump? Nothing I said relies on it... we are done...

- - - Updated - - -

I’m a double agent... am in all the tribes... wahahahahahaha!!!!

Edit: No!!!! Fuck that... am a lone wolf... belonging to no tribe... me, my motorcycle and my dog... riding thro... oh god damn it, I’m Mad Max... coooool....
    And that quote was not for you.

Unless you are not a citizen of any country, you cannot be a lone wolf.

- - - Updated - - -

For the last time... that is kinship... not empathy... two different words... tribalism exploits kinship, not empathy... what you are saying is ridiculous...

- - - Updated - - -

This doesn’t mean anything... you are now in the virtue signaling stage...
    So you are saying empathy is not needed for group cohesion?

It means humans are far from civil creatures.

10+ Year Old Account
    I realize your posts are empty of meaning and you're trying to cover that, but did you really need to make a distinction between "some" and "these"?

Get a hobby.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    I realize your posts are empty of meaning and you're trying to cover that, but did you really need to make a distinction between "some" and "these"?

Get a hobby.
    Just because you cant understand what someone says does not mean it has no meaning.

As a psychologist myself, you’re full of it. “This is not up for debate” <— the whole concept of (social)sciences is that EVERYTHING is up for debate. One just needs arguments. You know what a paradigm is, right?

This to say, I haven’t followed your conversation, no idea who I agree with. But someone stating a sociological theory/paradigm and using their qualification as a way to mute the opposition from debate, pisses me off ^^

- - - Updated - - -

And that quote was not for you.

Unless you are not a citizen of any country, you cannot be a lone wolf.

- - - Updated - - -

So you are saying empathy is not needed for group cohesion?

It means humans are far from civil creatures.
    Empathy is actually seen as a result of group cohesion by most theories. The cohesion itself existing due to outside threats.