Thread: "Pay to win"

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caszadhuum View Post
    It's definitely not pay to win, but could be pretty detrimental to the levelling scene after TBC release. Initially it won't matter too much as there will be the new race levelling but a month or so later when thats not the case, could be the easiest route leading to the further emptying of levelling areas. Just speculating
    I mean, you say this, but even before the TBC announcement, tons of people were still leveling characters in vanilla. I leveled a Warrior around December/January and every single zone was still decently populated. Finding dungeon groups wasn't too hard, though that's likely because I was a tank so I could find dps/healers real easily.

A once-per-account level boost isn't going to "hurt leveling" very much at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    It's a p2w feature that anyone who wants to be competitive on alliance shaman or horde paladin will have to use, for sure.
    It's not p2w...p2w is getting distinct and massive advantages over people...besides they said the boost can't be used on Belves or Draenei if I recall.

Having less levels to grind isn't a distinct advantage that makes you more powerful than other players in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Selky View Post
    You people used this argument with retail and look what happened. Any change that allows a player to gain an in-game advantage through money is unacceptable. Doesn't matter how much you move the goalposts.
    Nobody is paying 500euro for a boe fyi there is no p2w.

10+ Year Old Account
    People will complain about anything. I might burn a boost in a warlock because I don’t want to slave away leveling another character to 60 before TBC drops.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

It's a p2w feature that anyone who wants to be competitive on alliance shaman or horde paladin will have to use, for sure.
    Instead of this comment you should've spend 1 minute on google .

I knew with Classic stuff being popular, that they were going to implement some cash shop stuff, as there is no way they'd continued to develop/support it on just a monthly sub that shares with retail. I'm even somewhat okay with it, long as it doesn't ruin the game.

This doesn't ruin the game, but I wish they would have done paid server transfers/race change/ faction change instead of boosts. They limited it to one per account, which means they don't want it to be an alternative to leveling alts, seems more like an easy reroll INSTEAD of faction/race/server transferring. Oh well, won't change anything for me.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Autoriot View Post
    I knew with Classic stuff being popular, that they were going to implement some cash shop stuff, as there is no way they'd continued to develop/support it on just a monthly sub that shares with retail. I'm even somewhat okay with it, long as it doesn't ruin the game.

This doesn't ruin the game, but I wish they would have done paid server transfers/race change/ faction change instead of boosts. They limited it to one per account, which means they don't want it to be an alternative to leveling alts, seems more like an easy reroll INSTEAD of faction/race/server transferring. Oh well, won't change anything for me.
    I don't think we will see any cash stuff being further implemented.

My feeling is that this one time boost to lvl58 is simply to allow as many people in TBC as possible who did not play in Classic. It would be quite a turn off for a lot of people to start from scratch from lvl1.

This is basically a simple way to get more subs from people that are neither playing Classic nor Retail, but have an interest in playing TBC.

Anyone who is really serious on doing the TBC race will already be lvl60 and geared in T3. A lvl58 boost is basically a convenience to get more people in, not a P2W.

3+ Year Old Account
    Wont be useable on belf/draenei

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    Who the fuck cares if it falls under your semantic definition of pay to win? It’s the fucking principle. Why the FUCK are you defending ANY amount of microtransaction practices? PLEASE tell me WHY you defend capitalist GREED? Do you not want video games to be what they used to be? Do you WANT to be fucked in the ass by greedy Bobby koticks? What the fuck?

It’s like I’ve woken up in a fucking alternate reality where people are actually defending microtransactions. What the hell happened to you people?
    I know it's surprising to believe, but some people want to support the companies they like, companies that produce things they enjoy. That's why I always buy expansions for World of Warcraft, mounts/pets I like, maintain a subscription, and occasionally purchase services like boosts, race changes, and so on.

I'm an adult with a very well-paying career and I'm free to spend my money as I wish.

As for the concept of microtransactions, in a lot of ways they've saved gaming. No, I'm not referring to gatcha or freemium games, which take advantage of our species predilection for gambling and dopamine addiction, but indie developers and AAA+ game studios alike. Creating a novel video game today is not nearly as easy as it was in the 80's and 90's where a single person alone could write up fascinating, complex (for the time) games that you could fit on a floppy or two from the comfort of their garage. They're costly (especially AAA games), sometimes completely wiping out a studio's available credit and reserves to produce and release. Optional cosmetics, DLC's, and non-pay-to-win services help make sure those companies, and those games, will be around for years to come to enjoy.

So, yes, I gladly part with some of my money to support studios and games I love.

And, on topic, this isn't pay-to-win. It's a single character, and all it does is skip some leveling up. The quality of your gear and your ability to perform in dungeons, heroic dungeons, and raids will be entirely based on your skill and work after at end-game.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Getting a single character to level 58 is not "winning" WoW.

That is all.
    pretty much this
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Getting a single character to level 58 is not "winning" WoW.

That is all.

Just to be clear: Yes, it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    How?

Level 58 means nothing. The gear you would have at 58 means nothing. All you save is a few weeks of your time, but, in the end, you're still on the same playing field as everyone else who is raiding or running dungeons. You might pick up some of your gear a little faster than they do, but the level of power and the cap is still the same.

An example of pay-to-win are games where you can pay to get "heroes" (or monsters or whatever they have) that other people can't get through regular means of playing the game. It's even more so if those heroes are more powerful than the regular ones gotten by playing the game, or in some way change the game for you.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    P2W happens when the token makes it into classic too

The only winning wow is managing to quit for good.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    Theres no dwarf shaman in TBC lol xd.
    Who said anything about a dwarf shaman? .......lOl xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    What did you 'win'?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by A Blue Smurf View Post
    While I understand you're point of view... you're getting quite worked up over it.

It's a one-time purchase for one character, in a limited scope, related solely to removing a time-barrier for one game.

Do you not purchase expansions?

They are a one-time purchase for one game license that provide a limited amount of content solely related to one game.
    But you're not purchasing content. Your purchasing a skip of content. That is an advantage. Any payment for an advantage is P2W. The degree doesn't matter. This is only the first step. Next will be the store. Then it will be the token. See how something "insignificant" starts to slide?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    U cant boost draenei/bloodelf. Theres no dwarf shaman in TBC lol xd.
    So eager to get your flame in that you forgot how to read?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    What did you 'win'?
    You win an advantage by skipping content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    How?

Level 58 means nothing. The gear you would have at 58 means nothing. All you save is a few weeks of your time, but, in the end, you're still on the same playing field as everyone else who is raiding or running dungeons. You might pick up some of your gear a little faster than they do, but the level of power and the cap is still the same.

An example of pay-to-win are games where you can pay to get "heroes" (or monsters or whatever they have) that other people can't get through regular means of playing the game. It's even more so if those heroes are more powerful than the regular ones gotten by playing the game, or in some way change the game for you.
    Another example is TBCC where you can skip leveling to 58, skipping 3 to 12 days of in-game time with a set of dungeon blues that could take weeks to get normally because no one is running that content anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Argorwal View Post
    It's more "pay to actually start TBC in outland if you hated the garbage that was classic."
    If only it worked on Blood Elves/

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    And, on topic, this isn't pay-to-win. It's a single character, and all it does is skip some leveling up.
    It's not some leveling up. It's almost all of it and you get a set of dungeon quality blues out of it which puts you at a very large power advantage over someone who didn't pay to win. I am quoting you describing what a pay to win scenario is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    I'm sorry but your feelings are not factual. It is pay to win.

- - - Updated - - -

Anytime you are handing blizzard cash to do part of the game for you it is pay to win. That is what pay to win is. It is what pay to win has always been.
    So what? If you can't afford it then that's your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Selvari7 View Post
    So what? If you can't afford it then that's your problem.
    So you are all for pay 2 win systems? Where the person with the biggest wallet is the most powerful person in the game?