Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Ah yes, gamers told them to "STFU" while making it one of the best selling games of the year. Talk about living in a bubble. Hell it had a bigger launch in the US then Cyberpunk did despite only being on a single platform, I know that one must hurt you since you defend that buggy piece of shit to the ends of earth. Hell your lot like to claim the game only sold in first week when it maintained itself as a top 5 seller for all of 2020 in the US and get this... it propped up on the latest weekly UK chart at 3. Ah yes, the gamers sure told them to "STFU".
    It sold well doesnt mean its a good game. TLOU2 at BEST is a very average 6/10 game. The story is bog standard Revenge, which isn't executed well and is full of holes when it comes down to character development, something the FIRST GAME did a 100 times better. Not to mention it pretty much destroyed all the characters that made the original game great, because they actually had character development. Also: Ellie being fucked up after murdering a pregnant woman, but up to that point having killed a couple hundred people didnt matter etc. Not to mention that the ending of the game isn't even satisfying, since the whole Revenge aspect just gets dropped and everyone lives happily ever after. Gameplay wise not a lot changed either. The only praiseworthy thing here is their accessibility options, which people jokingly named "Game journalist mode".

Compared to a game like Ghost of Tsushima, which ALSO was pretty much a revenge story for the most part, TLOU2 drops the ball in the first 5 hours. Ghost just did it a lot better and had actual character development which also didn't turn people off. Ghost had its other issues with the open world being just.. well bland, like every open world game in the past 10 years is and its gameplay is also nothing innovative.

Also, NEVER TRUST GOTY AWARDS IN ANYTHING. Besides TLOU2 being what it is, Naughty Dog is a damn atrocity of a studio. No developer EVER should be praised for a game, which during its development time people had to crunch until people almost lost their minds and having a lot of other problems which aren't exclusive to just Naughty Dog. This shit alone should disqualify ANYTHING from getting a Award like this. If you want to "celebrate" games with award shows like these, you should celebrate the studio for a lot more other than "they made a game".

Also, before you try to say "but crunch is normal!"... Sucker Punch made Ghost of Tsushima with 0 crunch time involved and it got jack shit from award shows, even though it deserved a lot more than it got.

TLOU2 also had the highest drop off of sales after its first 2 or so weeks since you brought up how "dominant" the sales of the game were. Nobody kept talking about the game after its initial release month and most people dont even care about it anymore. It only gets brought up thanks to those shows that serve as not much else other than advertisement, or dumb twitter posts made by Druckman himself where he openly attacked people just to backpaddle 2 days later after realizing the backlash and actually losing out on an additional award at one of those shows.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darleth View Post
    TLOU2 also had the highest drop off of sales after its first 2 or so weeks
    Surprise surprise the biggest Sony launch of all time also had the biggest drop. Glad to see you figured out how numbers work.

I like how you started the post with "sales don't matter" and then tried to bring up a sales drop post launch as a reason to continue your rant. A for effort I guess but at least try to be consistent. I expect more from you on your next paper.

Surprise surprise the biggest Sony launch of all time also had the biggest drop. Glad to see you figured out how numbers work.

I like how you started the post with "sales don't matter" and then tried to bring up a sales drop post launch as a reason to continue your rant. A for effort I guess but at least try to be consistent. I expect more from you on your next paper.
    ? Because the sales absolutely didnt matter for the QUALITY of the game. I know reading can be a hard thing for some, especially from outside the EU. I blame your school system for that but dont worry billy.
    Also, thats not how the market works. There are more than enough other games that didn't sell as much in their first month that actually saw a RISE in sales after their initial releases. Just because something sees a DROP after its first 2 weeks of sales it doesn't mean that the game is GOOD and everybody and their mom bought it, it can mean the exact opposite of people not caring about the game after looking at reviews and other sources. If TLOU2 would be such a great game, I can guarantee you it would have sold a lot more after its release, which it didnt.

The best comparable thing here would be, again, Ghost of Tsushima. It actually sold MORE after its release, months down the road. Ghost also was Sonys BEST AND FASTEST SELLING NEW IP last year.

But then again, nice try on the attack part here. Try again next time.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes, gamers told them to "STFU" while making it one of the best selling games of the year. Talk about living in a bubble. Hell it had a bigger launch in the US then Cyberpunk did despite only being on a single platform, I know that one must hurt you since you defend that buggy piece of shit to the ends of earth. Hell your lot like to claim the game only sold in first week when it maintained itself as a top 5 seller for all of 2020 in the US and get this... it propped up on the latest weekly UK chart at 3. Ah yes, the gamers sure told them to "STFU".
    What the fuck are you smoking? Cyberpunk had 13 million copies sold at release. TLOU2 only had 4 million in sales by the end of June of last year and it failed to eclipse it's predecessor by a significant margin. Also, it didn't take long for TLOU2 to fall off the face of the earth in terms of discussion. It's almost like the game really IS mediocre and people grew tired of it's bleak, half assed story pretty fast. Everyone I know who has played it, only ever played it through once, so I guess that's not indicative of a game with longevity.

7+ Year Old Account
    This company also made Legend of Dragoon, which was probably my favorite PS1 RPG (Chrono Cross a close second).

It's horrible news. I really hope Sony don't neglect development of more 'niche' titles. As it stands, I've been firing up my Switch more than my PS5 recently simply because the former offers more in the way of JRPG's.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    What the fuck are you smoking? Cyberpunk had 13 million copies sold at release. TLOU2 only had 4 million in sales by the end of June of last year and it failed to eclipse it's predecessor by a significant margin. Also, it didn't take long for TLOU2 to fall off the face of the earth in terms of discussion. It's almost like the game really IS mediocre and people grew tired of it's bleak, half assed story pretty fast. Everyone I know who has played it, only ever played it through once, so I guess that's not indicative of a game with longevity.
    We already knew that Naughty Dog's The Last of Us Part 2 was 2020's biggest launch to date across both retail and digital sales, and PlayStation had already announced spectacular sales for The Last of Us Part 2, with Naughty Dog confirming the sequel had shifted four million copies during its opening weekend, making it the fastest-selling PS4 exclusive ever worldwide.

In the US it's reportedly the third-best-selling game of 2020, with Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare still outpacing TLOU 2's sales.
    it sold 4million in the first weekend and was one of the best selling in 2020, you were rather active in the thread about it why lie?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...tation-history
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-03-04 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    it sold 4million in the first weekend and was one of the best selling in 2020, you were rather active in the thread about it why lie?

https://venturebeat.com/2021/01/15/n...20-in-the-u-s/

For the US, 6th best selling game of the year, Cyberpunk at 19.

And yes, I want him to reply with "but that is months of sales and Cyberpunk only had 1" because it would be quite hilarious for the guy who claims the game only sold at launch and stopped selling after is propped up by months of extra sales.

Also the future ain't bright for Cyberpunk. TLOU2 stayed in NPD chart for 4 months, Cyberpunk was already out of the January chart and definitely won't be in the Feb one either.

Bonus quote from NPD

“The Last of Us: Part II finished 2020 as the year’s best-selling PlayStation exclusive, while also ranking as the sixth best-selling title overall,” said Piscatella. “The Last of Us: Part II now ranks as the third best-selling Sony-published game in U.S. history in dollar sales, trailing only Marvel’s Spider-Man, and 2018’s God of War.”
    The gamers told them to go fuck themselves though. Rennadrel remains glued to his weird bubble with no perception of reality.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-03-04 at 03:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets not forget all the returns to the point places wouldn't take TLOU2 back and even level headed neutral streamers were disappointed with it...the game sold a ton simply because of anticipation and hype because the first game was good, it lived up to none of that.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

So nothing you posted actually refuted what I said. TLOU2 was a flop because it didn't surpass the total sales of it's predecessor when it came out. And it's sales stagnated faster than any game in history too.

7+ Year Old Account
    So nothing you posted actually refuted what I said. TLOU2 was a flop because it didn't surpass the total sales of it's predecessor when it came out. And it's sales stagnated faster than any game in history too.
    It selling 4million in the first week end when you said it did that by the end of the month is a direct refutation......

But here’s more.
    In its release weekend, The Last of Us Part II sold over four million copies worldwide, becoming the fastest-selling PlayStation 4 exclusive, beating Marvel's Spider-Man's 3.3 million and God of War's 3.1 million in the same period.[142][143] It had the biggest launch of 2020 for both physical and digital sales.[144] On the PlayStation Store, it was the most-downloaded PlayStation 4 game in North America and Europe in June;[145] in July, it was fifth in North America and tenth in Europe;[146] in November, it was the eighth in North America and seventh in Europe;[147] and overall for 2020, it ranked sixth in North America and eighth in Europe.[148] In the United States, it was the best-selling game of June 2020 and became the third-best-selling game of the year within two weeks, generating the highest first-month sales of the year.[149] By August 2020, it had become the third highest-grossing PlayStation game in the United States, behind Marvel's Spider-Man and God of War.[150] Overall, it was the sixth-best-selling game of the year in the United States.[151]

In the United Kingdom, it became the fastest-selling physical PlayStation 4 game, outselling previous record-holder Uncharted 4 by at least 1% and The Last of Us by 76%;[152] it was the nation's eighth-best-selling game of the year, with over 530,000 units sold,[153] and the seventh for physical sales.[154] In Japan, it was the best-selling game during its first week, selling an estimated 178,696 physical copies.[155] In Germany, it sold over 200,000 copies in June 2020,[156] and 500,000 by December 2020.[157] In Australia, the game was the eighth-best-selling of the year, and the third for physical sales.[158]
    Again why lie with nonsense like the fastest stagnation in history when it was still in the top ten for sales months later in November and was out selling the first game by 76% in places?
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-03-04 at 02:05 PM.

What the hell kinda world do you live in where the 6th best selling title of an entire year is a "flop"?

There's some weird takes on how things work when it comes to games for some reason, like people thinking their personal tastes means GotY awards don't matter. Something about "everybody's a critic".

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    What the hell kinda world do you live in where the 6th best selling title of an entire year is a "flop"?

There's some weird takes on how things work when it comes to games for some reason, like people thinking their personal tastes means GotY awards don't matter. Something about "everybody's a critic".
    Also his claim that it sold less then the first game is hilarious since it wasn't even a top 10 seller for 2013: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gt.../1100-6417186/

But if didn't outsell the lifetime PS3+PS4 remaster sales of it being fire sold off for the better part of a decade... Bomba! Should of sold more in a week lmao. Also in dollar sales it already made them more then the first game since the only Sony games that have earned more revenue as of right now is God of War and Spider-Man. My man really thinks all those copies of TLOU Remastered bundled with PS4s or sold for $20 for 5+ years make it a larger success then raw copies being sold at $60 in launch window. He lives in some weird ass bubble far detached from reality.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-03-04 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    the game sold a ton simply because of anticipation and hype because the first game was good, it lived up to none of that.
    replace "because the first game was good" with "because witcher 3 had a good story/world" and you could just as easily say that about cyberpunk

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    replace "because the first game was good" with "because witcher 3 had a good story/world" and you could just as easily say that about cyberpunk
    Acting like CDPR didn't make good games prior to The Witcher 3 is pretty hilarious.

7+ Year Old Account
    Acting like CDPR didn't make good games prior to The Witcher 3 is pretty hilarious.
    So is lying about sales numbers and doubling down with more lies when confronted.

They made 1 shitty game and 1 decent game prior to Witcher 3. Amazing track record right?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    So is lying about sales numbers and doubling down with more lies when confronted.
    Considering you have yet to actually prove that TLOU2 outsold it's predecessor and used individualized data for different countries that doesn't actually cover global statistics over the course of a year, seems like the one doubling down on their bullshit is you and that you didn't actually prove anything. I also didn't lie about the sales numbers, I used exactly what the reported data numbers are, since there's nothing reported after the first month on the market, fuckwit.

Also, I'll leave this year, because it's apparent that you think a game having reported accumulated sales for some cherry picked countries disproves that the games popularity didn't take a nosedive, here's a worthwhile read

reddit.com/r/TheLastOfUs2/comments/i3v71z/sales_analysis_15_months_later_how_is_tlou2_doing/

Or you know, retailers having hundreds of copies on store shelves. Sure, the game could have had trickle effects in sales in the several months since its release, but that data isn't available as far as I can find. Based off the now defunct GameStat, which went offline in November, the last estimated total player count was 7.2 million, half a year after release, all based only on trophies and not how many people actually bought the game. Meanwhile the original game eclipsed 20 million between PS3 and PS4. Sure, that is over years, but that's a huge number. You'd think that the sequel to a game that sold that well would at least come within scratching distance of it. Even if it sold 7 million, it took half a year to get there after the initial sales numbers were reported. But hey, Ghost of Tsushima sold 5 million and became the fastest selling 1st party game on the PS4 so I dunno what to tell you.

Also, how does it feel knowing that a kids game on the Switch has single handedly outsold every AAA title on the PS4 in the last calendar year by a landslide?
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2021-03-04 at 11:53 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Considering you have yet to actually prove that TLOU2 outsold it's predecessor and used individualized data for different countries that doesn't actually cover global statistics over the course of a year, seems like the one doubling down on their bullshit is you and that you didn't actually prove anything. I also didn't lie about the sales numbers, I used exactly what the reported data numbers are, since there's nothing reported after the first month on the market, fuckwit.
    I get that you must be really mad that your trying to lie to bash a game and doing so poorly but I don't care if it out sold the first and neither of my post are about that and instead are about show casing your lies, there's other people to reply to if you want to compare sales between games like tech.

in your first post you made this claim.
    TLOU2 only had 4 million in sales by the end of June of last year
    this is a flatout lie. even without data for the rest of the month or following months its obvious that sales didn't stop after the launch weekend. you can call names or windge in an way you like but your obvious lie is obvious.

then past your first lie you doubled down with another with this.
    And it's sales stagnated faster than any game in history too.
    which is easily refuted with the game still being in the top ten months later in November which the majority of game obviously don't achieve as they have far more sales stagnation.

so in short your lies are blatant easily refuted and dare I say Pitiful as you can't just admit that they are in fact lies or even take the lesser route of saying you were wrong on some info.

Also, how does it feel knowing that a kids game on the Switch has single handedly outsold every AAA title on the PS4 in the last calendar year by a landslide?
    Pretty good as I don't care about AAA games or the PS4, hell if I had any interest in a console it would be for a switch to buy similar kids games.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-03-05 at 12:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Because Rennadrel can't handle that TLOU2 was a successful game, so he's lying to himself and others about it to cope.