Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/statu...098001410?s=19

That‘s right even being kind by giving water and food is that few more twists the Republicans can do to discourage voting.
    Frank Luntz is a neoconservative devil... he is more responsible for rhetoric that leads people to support disenfranchisement of voters, than any politician. Fuck him...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It was signed into law last night, complete with the arrest of a Dem state rep who DARED knock on the governor's door while he signing the thing surrounded by Klan brothers.
    He also signed the law under a painting of a slave plantation to drive home the racist point I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Invest in Georgia they said. Remember when people thought Georgia had turned a new leaf just because of some a handful of favorable election results?

but but what about Stacy Abrams!

Georgia has been playing this game for some time now. They can go eat a bad of do-dirty peaches if they think it's a long term W for them.

Lets hope the federal government comes down on them as it happened decades ago - I'm not holding my breath.

What is important is that Georgia is just the test bed of the GOP, they will move to restrict voting where they can. So its critical to support your voter rights initiatives in your state.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Matt Walsh weighs in with a take straight out of the 19th century:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Walsh
    This is a good start but we need laws that will prevent many more people from voting. A huge swath of the electorate has no business in the voting booth. Testing and other requirements could weed out the most unfit
    He follows this tweet up decrying folks naysaying this for being 'racist' with the usual 'Oh you assume I'm talking about minorities when I mention low intelligence people? YOU'RE THE REAL RACIST!' screed while ignoring our sordid history of race targeted polling tests that were deemed unconstitutional a half-fucking-century ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the fucking audacity of a Republican politician crying about uninformed voters in this day and age is both eyerollingly infuriating and goddamn hilarious. It's like Oscar the Grouch complaining about other folks' hygiene.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Matt Walsh weighs in with a take straight out of the 19th century:
    This should come as no surprise to anyone familiar with that particular sack of shit.
    This is the sort of subhuman garbage we're dealing with. And yes, I do see the irony in dehumanizing him when that's exactly what he advocates for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    This should come as no surprise to anyone familiar with that particular sack of shit.

This is the sort of subhuman garbage we're dealing with. And yes, I do see the irony in dehumanizing him when that's exactly what he advocates for.
    I really wish people like that would just say they're fascists and save the rest of us the effort of having to read all their nonsense like goddamn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I really wish people like that would just say they're fascists and save the rest of us the effort of having to read all their nonsense like goddamn.
    "Nuh-uh! Da Nazis took away da gunz!"

Although, I think he did put "theocratic fascist" in his twitter description as an attempt to be funny...probably thinking that the label doesn't accurately describe his beliefs.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2021-03-26 at 08:59 PM.

Why don't we just make it easier for everyone to get ID's? What is wrong with requiring an ID to vote? It probably wouldn't even cost a lot to provide everyone with ID's for free.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Invest in Georgia they said. Remember when people thought Georgia had turned a new leaf just because of some a handful of favorable election results?

but but what about Stacy Abrams!

Georgia has been playing this game for some time now. They can go eat a bad of do-dirty peaches if they think it's a long term W for them.

Lets hope the federal government comes down on them as it happened decades ago - I'm not holding my breath.

What is important is that Georgia is just the test bed of the GOP, they will move to restrict voting where they can. So its critical to support your voter rights initiatives in your state.
    They aren't testing anything Georgia is just the first they have similar legislation in 43 states they are trying to pass. They don't have time to test this they already know it works and they don't think democrats have the balls to stop them. The Jim Crow party knows stopping the minorities from voting is the only way they can stay in power.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Why don't we just make it easier for everyone to get ID's? What is wrong with requiring an ID to vote? It probably wouldn't even cost a lot to provide everyone with ID's for free.
    But the same republicans are closing locations to get IDs and putting very restricting hours and changing the qualifications. Besides this is not just voter ID they are limiting voting hours, time even making it illegal to give someone food and water when they are waiting in line for hours.

What is wrong with requiring an ID to vote?
    How many times have you asked this?
    How many times do you have to be told that it's (in part) because the garbage who push for voter ID laws refuse to also advocate...

...to provide everyone with ID's for free.
    If you'd stop pretending that actions like this aren't taken explicitly to disenfranchise people who vote against them, it would probably be for the best. The politicians who don't want black people voting aren't suddenly going to want to give black people free state-issued IDs that would make it easy for them to vote. Obviously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is a concealed permit an acceptable form of ID, while college and VA isn’t? Why do we need voting registration, if we get voter ID?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Because it is a poll tax intended to hurt minorities, and frankly poorer Democrat voters at this point. People already have to provide more than enough forms of ID to to register, which usually takes place when you get your DL. The verification has already been done.

As for how it hurts, as of now, many of the people who it will hurt have no DL, or live hundreds of miles away and have jobs where they just can't take off. Some states require you to fill out and application, then return on another day to pick it up. So missing two days from work in a short span is often friable. Not to mention, they might not have the money or support to get there and back.

You've been around long enough to know why this is an issue. It amazes me how people like you can play so dumb about it. As if just making getting IDs easier will solve the systemic racism that this really is.

#ELB: “Michigan GOP leader reveals plans to go around Whitmer for voting law overhaul” https://t.co/N2xUJ2cmvE
    https://twitter.com/rickhasen/status...972990976?s=19

So here is the plan and you are going to love it.

In Michigan, there's an end-run around the governor's veto: Collect less than 350,000 petition signatures in support of your legislation and it becomes law.

Gov. Whitmer won w/ 2.3 million votes; with 15% as much support, you can nullify her veto. https://t.co/8OiU6uWjkB
    https://twitter.com/daveweigel/statu...701901312?s=19

So yes with a petition of around 350k, her veto will be nullified.

Jim Crow 2.0 is not just for the south.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Because voter ID laws are not genuine. The people campaigning for them would immediately follow up with pushes to make IDs easier to get and maintain to support their initiatives.

But in reality their arguments are on shaky legs in the first place because we don't have a problem validating voters.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    "Nuh-uh! Da Nazis took away da gunz!"

Although, I think he did put "theocratic fascist" in his twitter description as an attempt to be funny...probably thinking that the label doesn't accurately describe his beliefs.
    "Nuh-uh! I not Nazi, Nazi waz socializt!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    "Nuh-uh! I not Nazi, Nazi waz socializt!"
    We should just start calling them jihadis, harder to dance around that comparison. Both are ultra conservatives who govern based on their fundamentalists takes.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Make no mistake - this is absolutely horrific voting disenfranchisement legislation. The GOP is already on record as being against the fundamentals of democracy, and now we can see their 21st century Jim Crow Act in full force.

I've always wondered how hard someone has to try to stay so ignorant in these times.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Make no mistake - this is absolutely horrific voting disenfranchisement legislation. The GOP is already on record as being against the fundamentals of democracy, and now we can see their 21st century Jim Crow Act in full force.
    Question, if they push this and the Democrats refuse to stop it or worse, the Supreme Court actually puts their party ahead of their nation and rules it legit while blocking HR1 and S1, there won’t be any alternative BUT violence at that point will there?

I mean if these pass, they get to choose the voters greatly, and if they fail that, they get to choose who counts they votes, and if they fail that they get to throw out the votes entirely.

At that point, the ballot box is useless, and the jury box is stuffed. Outside of the ammo box, what is left after that?

I hate to sound like that tard who was talking about violence unless the GOP got their way, but it sounds like they are pushing for it to be that way where violence is the only way to prevent them from rigging the system to get their way regardless of what the people say.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

In case you haven't noticed, the party of:
    What is wrong with requiring an ID to vote?
    does not also believe in:
    Why don't we just make it easier for everyone to get ID's?
    They are the party of "it's illegal to give water to people waiting to vote," not the party of "we want to make it easier for eligible voters to cast their ballots."
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis