Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Demo tomorrow
    -Khezu confirmed
    -Great Baggi Confirmed
    -Tigrex Confirmed
    -Baby Tetsucbra so maybe?
    -Tamamizutsune Confirmed, shocking nobody given its armour and theme
    -New Monster Goss Harag, a bipedal version of the beast wyvernns like Lagombi and Azuros
    -Lagombi confirmed
    -Small neutral mobs from Hoarfrost reach which adds to rumours Banbaro is coming
    -New mechanic: mounting is gone and replaced with Wyvern Riding. You use a wirebug charge to literally puppet the monster and have its moveset for a limited time.

Demo is tomorrow and limited to 30 hunts. So basically the 3ds routine again.

-correction only tamas hunt is limited.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2021-01-07 at 03:18 PM.

They added some new moves to mitzusune which caught be entirely off guard.

God damn mitzusune tokyo drift.

Also the hunting horn rework made me fall in love all over with that weapon.
    GU made it fun with striker style, but never really felt it in worlds.

I haven't tried HH yet but i'm eager too. It was my main for most of 4U but didn't care for it in World compared to Charge Blade and Greatsword.

So i'm about 8 hours in and village rank 4 about to do the first rampage. Honestly it just feels like the best parts of world, generations and 4U combined. Stuff to note so far
    -Kironico is redundant, hunters notes gives you everything now even drop percentages and detailed status infliction rates, drop offs and resistances over time.
    -Stamina max depletes fast when running, so stick to your palamute on long distances when not climbing
    -You can't buy weapons but it takes far less to make everything
    -You can roll everything back to refund the materials
    -Weapons can be broken down for scraps
    -Secret camps are back from World
    -You unlock skills but unlike hunter arts these are straight up moveset changes you pick a loadout of, including the option to just use earlier versions of movesets like the old style bow and hunting horn if you want
    -You dont get a random selection of stats for food, you pick the specific dango ball that gives a specific buff and pick 3 and can save half a dozen sets as "your usual" and doing hunts unlocks new ones
    -Alph and Beta gear is gone
    -Decorations are back to pre world charm farming status
    -Hot and cold drinks appear to be gone entirely
    -Generations option to pick one of a series of items to upgrade gear to fill a completion bar is back
    -You select a wristband that altered your limits for the per hunt buffs from spiribirds. The starter is balanced but for example one gives way higher attack but you get way less stamina and health buffs before it caps out
    -There are things to find on the maps including notes to tell a series of background stories so there is reason to explore beyond camps and farming
    -Fishing is back to generations style
    -There are now lures and endemic life to trigger things like setting up a turf war which combos well with wyvernn riding and traps
    -You and your friends all get credit in a multiplayer hunt
    -no more 'waiting for cutscene to finish' horseshit
    -now you just go to your mailman, select invite friend and they appear in your town, not just the gathering hub but you are in the same town together too

Honestly its the best running monster hunter game, the combat is as fluid as worlds with more customisation of your toolset and the music and general art/map design is fantastic. I have no idea yet if endgame stuff dampens it slightly but the first impression makes this so far feel like the best entry since 4U back in 2013. They have solved all the quality of life issues with world and all the obtuse stuff has been cleaned up or way more simply explained. If World was the start of the new generation, this is the inevitable follow up that refines the ideas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    So i'm about 8 hours in and village rank 4 about to do the first rampage. Honestly it just feels like the best parts of world, generations and 4U combined. Stuff to note so far
    -Kironico is redundant, hunters notes gives you everything now even drop percentages and detailed status infliction rates, drop offs and resistances over time.
    -Stamina max depletes fast when running, so stick to your palamute on long distances when not climbing
    -You can't buy weapons but it takes far less to make everything
    -You can roll everything back to refund the materials
    -Weapons can be broken down for scraps
    -Secret camps are back from World
    -You unlock skills but unlike hunter arts these are straight up moveset changes you pick a loadout of, including the option to just use earlier versions of movesets like the old style bow and hunting horn if you want
    -You dont get a random selection of stats for food, you pick the specific dango ball that gives a specific buff and pick 3 and can save half a dozen sets as "your usual" and doing hunts unlocks new ones
    -Alph and Beta gear is gone
    -Decorations are back to pre world charm farming status
    -Hot and cold drinks appear to be gone entirely
    -Generations option to pick one of a series of items to upgrade gear to fill a completion bar is back
    -You select a wristband that altered your limits for the per hunt buffs from spiribirds. The starter is balanced but for example one gives way higher attack but you get way less stamina and health buffs before it caps out
    -There are things to find on the maps including notes to tell a series of background stories so there is reason to explore beyond camps and farming
    -Fishing is back to generations style
    -There are now lures and endemic life to trigger things like setting up a turf war which combos well with wyvernn riding and traps
    -You and your friends all get credit in a multiplayer hunt
    -no more 'waiting for cutscene to finish' horseshit
    -now you just go to your mailman, select invite friend and they appear in your town, not just the gathering hub but you are in the same town together too

Honestly its the best running monster hunter game, the combat is as fluid as worlds with more customisation of your toolset and the music and general art/map design is fantastic. I have no idea yet if endgame stuff dampens it slightly but the first impression makes this so far feel like the best entry since 4U back in 2013. They have solved all the quality of life issues with world and all the obtuse stuff has been cleaned up or way more simply explained. If World was the start of the new generation, this is the inevitable follow up that refines the ideas.
    All your observations are on point and i agree with your opinion on where it ranks so far. I had played a ton of older MH, but World was the first i played for 500+ hrs. I see this as being the same as world. I am only working through Rank 2 stuff because ive only had like 8 hours to play and spent most trying weapon in expeditions.

My only complaint and it will likely go away as i unlock more stuff, but Insect Glaive doesn't have the appeal it did in World for me. I think its because the wirebug gives so much mobility that Insect Glaive does not stand as far out. Right now I am honestly enjoying SwSh and Switch Axe. SwSh seem to stun incredibly easily with no build enabling gear at early level.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Surprisingly i hit the credits at like rank 4ish which is odd because endgame is being patched in a 2.0 update in like two weeks and when the credits hit theres still nearly half the roster in the base game to fight in high rank so its a very wierd "you beat the tutorial" choice of credits placement.

At about 20 hours in i can safely say low rank feels the easiest its ever been but thats coming right from g rank iceborn and giving you the wirebugs for more mobility and counters which makes a difference. What that will be like at high rank has yet to be seen. So far its interesting just how the game now seems designed to want you to have a roster of weapons -which have a lot more unique models this time around thankfully- alpha and beta gear is gone and it seems divided between armour that is designed to go full burning crusade armour mutt clownsuit to minmax or "hey this armour is specifically for hunting horn or greatsword" or whatever. Along with gear rollback and way lower material requirements Rise feels like early on they want you to have a large variety of weapons and it seems extremely likely you can have every weapon and armour set before finishing high rank. The difference being you now get defender tokens from rampages to basically simplified reforging like wow used to have where you select one of three changes to your weapon, maybe you want more dragon element or you want more sharpness and you choose based on your tastes and playstyle.

Its an interesting change thus far overall where its still monster hunter but instead of straight up "go to kironico and get your bis and wishlist it" you are way more incentivised to pick what you like and tailor your equipment loadouts to your tastes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    SwSh seem to stun incredibly easily with no build enabling gear at early level.
    I think thats an across the board thing actually. During the rampage seige hunts the npcs say to fire ballista at the monsters head to stun it better and i've noticed no matter the weapon that head strikes, charged ones particularly, do significantly more stun damage which means when things happen like tetranadon ballooning up or tobo kadachi starts sparking you can gamble and risk a hit to smash their face and knock them back a few feet and knock them out of an enrage/powered up state.

Its honestly feeling like the devs played bloodborne and thought "yeah that head damage stuff makes sense".
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2021-03-29 at 12:54 PM.

Why does this game have to be exclusive
    Love monster hunter world and is one of the few games I thoroughly enjoyed 100% both achievements and beyond that by getting every jewel and special armor sets.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    ~snip~.

The stun is interesting, i didn't realize it was better for everyone.

I knew about the endgame missing. Its kinda weird to ship missing the end game but o well, im having enough that i can wait til April to get the real content.

I was really going to wait til PC version next year because i feared the switch was going to be underpowered (it is underpowered in general) but the optimization seems to be really good. I have not had much if any frame drops, and i have not felt hindered by its performance at all yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Why does this game have to be exclusive
    Love monster hunter world and is one of the few games I thoroughly enjoyed 100% both achievements and beyond that by getting every jewel and special armor sets.
    PC version is confirmed for next year sometime. I was almost going to wait for it because i have more friends on PC. But honestly ill likely just buy again.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

The stun is interesting, i didn't realize it was better for everyone.

I knew about the endgame missing. Its kinda weird to ship missing the end game but o well, im having enough that i can wait til April to get the real content.

I was really going to wait til PC version next year because i feared the switch was going to be underpowered (it is underpowered in general) but the optimization seems to be really good. I have not had much if any frame drops, and i have not felt hindered by its performance at all yet.

- - - Updated - - -

PC version is confirmed for next year sometime. I was almost going to wait for it because i have more friends on PC. But honestly ill likely just buy again.
    Oh in four player rampages with half a dozen monsters at once its absolutely solid still even as you are running around going "oh shit. oh god. oh christ. what is happening everything is exploding". The RE engine upgrade was no joke.

FUCK YEAH!!! did not know that. Thank you.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    FUCK YEAH!!! did not know that. Thank you.
    and you will get the full version with endgame we have to wait two weeks for. The exclusivity only really sucks for people who only have a playstation or xbox.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/...l/e210329.html

Game has shipped 4 million units in 3 days, not sold but shipped mind you, but on just the switch and not including digital thats a significant number considering the pc release isn't out yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh in four player rampages with half a dozen monsters at once its absolutely solid still even as you are running around going "oh shit. oh god. oh christ. what is happening everything is exploding". The RE engine upgrade was no joke.
    Eh, I dunno what Rampage you did, but when I did a Rampage with my two friends the game definitely dipped below 30 FPS frequently. There're also FPS issues in some of the caves with the water reflecting everything. It doesn't ruin the experience, but it's clear that they're pushing the Switch to its limits. WTB Switch Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Eh, I dunno what Rampage you did, but when I did a Rampage with my two friends the game definitely dipped below 30 FPS frequently. There're also FPS issues in some of the caves with the water reflecting everything. It doesn't ruin the experience, but it's clear that they're pushing the Switch to its limits. WTB Switch Pro.
    Maybe its if it includes monsters with water attacks like tetranadon? liquid animations are usually the go to framerate poison. Who doesn't remember the bloodborne lecture hall making your ps4 shit the bed when all those goo monsters start spitting liquids. So far my rampages have leant to fire and poison monsters and i dont know if theres a rhyme or reason to what they pick each time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe its if it includes monsters with water attacks like tetranadon? liquid animations are usually the go to framerate poison. Who doesn't remember the bloodborne lecture hall making your ps4 shit the bed when all those goo monsters start spitting liquids. So far my rampages have leant to fire and poison monsters and i dont know if theres a rhyme or reason to what they pick each time.
    There were a lot of tetranadon's in the Rampage, so you may be right. But yeah, definitely not the worst performance I've seen from a console game. I just wish they wouldn't stagger the console and PC releases. I get that Nintendo probably bought timed exclusivity, but if World 2 doesn't do a simultaneous launch on PC and Console I'm gonna rage.

So around 25-30 hours in i hit the last 6* village quest and... thats it. It just finished. No notification, no 7 star rank. Just dead stops. If i didn't know there was a new tier of difficulty coming in a couple of weeks that would seem super odd. I have to wonder if the game was delayed in development by corona and they just shipped with low rank and expect most casual players to last two weeks which they *might*.

Overall if i have one criticism its that this is the easiest monster hunter by far. I have not carted once, i've used maybe 4 mega potions and 2 antidoes and no other items i brought with me. But on the other side of that the older monsters have some interesting new moves, its probably the time time Rathalos has been an interesting fight in maybe 10 years, and the new monsters are across the board all solid stuff. Though oddly there is a 7 star multiplayer rank and there are a couple of monsters like Rakna Kadaki i haven't seen because they are not in village quests at all. Everything that is though like Goss Harag and mud laggi are all pretty solid. Using charge blade and the wirebug counter makes it play a lot more like Bloodborne where i'm incentivised to stick up in the monsters face to stun them out of enrages and counter for instant full phial charges. But this has made fights even easier than they were before i was used to that.

Honestly its a wierd balancing act where the combat is so much better but it comes at the cost of monsters being far easier. Like this is hands down the easiest tigrex and khezu have ever been.

But thats all done so now i'm ready to no life multiplayer to try the apex monsters and those final few boss monsters. Hopefully that tides me over till the 2.0 patch hits mid apri.

So around 25-30 hours in i hit the last 6* village quest and... thats it. It just finished. No notification, no 7 star rank. Just dead stops. If i didn't know there was a new tier of difficulty coming in a couple of weeks that would seem super odd. I have to wonder if the game was delayed in development by corona and they just shipped with low rank and expect most casual players to last two weeks which they *might*.

Overall if i have one criticism its that this is the easiest monster hunter by far. I have not carted once, i've used maybe 4 mega potions and 2 antidoes and no other items i brought with me. But on the other side of that the older monsters have some interesting new moves, its probably the time time Rathalos has been an interesting fight in maybe 10 years, and the new monsters are across the board all solid stuff. Though oddly there is a 7 star multiplayer rank and there are a couple of monsters like Rakna Kadaki i haven't seen because they are not in village quests at all. Everything that is though like Goss Harag and mud laggi are all pretty solid. Using charge blade and the wirebug counter makes it play a lot more like Bloodborne where i'm incentivised to stick up in the monsters face to stun them out of enrages and counter for instant full phial charges. But this has made fights even easier than they were before i was used to that.

Honestly its a wierd balancing act where the combat is so much better but it comes at the cost of monsters being far easier. Like this is hands down the easiest tigrex and khezu have ever been.

But thats all done so now i'm ready to no life multiplayer to try the apex monsters and those final few boss monsters. Hopefully that tides me over till the 2.0 patch hits mid apri.
    You do know that the next update will probably not add to the village ? The village is an introduction and the story continue in the hub quests with high rank (You can't even call the village low rank since the monsters have only like half the health of the low rank in the hub.), the new monsters will probably only happen in the hub and the next village quest will be the "high rank" when the master/G rank gets added in the hub for the expansion in like one year or something.

Those village quests didn't seem easier than the low rank one from MHGU to me. Hub quests are on par with what World offered (minus the Elder Dragons at the end since they will be added in april-may.)
    Last edited by MrTharne; 2021-03-31 at 11:56 AM.

So about 70 hours in i've gotten all the great swords, charge blades and hunting horns i could and finally got around to clearing everything up to the hub 4* urgent which starts hi rank and boy is that a real "that tutorial is over" moment. Its not a difficulty uptick but it unlocks
    -decorations
    -monsters drop gems
    -dyeing armour
    -high rank meownster missions
    -rampage meownster missions
    -apex monsters
    -apex weapons that can be "ramped up" to affix additional stats/effects multiple times instead of the usual once. Though so far it only looks like one apex weapon per weapon type
    -a buttload of new quests, obviously
    -even more styles
    -new arena quests
    -high rank expeditions
    -high rank weapons and armour, thought this expands the tree even further right for even more tiers beyond the initial high rank people thought was the endgame weapons
    -high rank melding pots
    -high rank petula wristbands
    -more great wirebugs to add more boostpad fast travel points to cover all the maps
    -new monsters, including Jyuratodus as an urgent long after you have beaten every flagship from the pre 4U games and magnamalo which is odd
    -All the new monsters have new moves that very much change up their fights and keeps them interesting
    -Story finally picks up again with Some wierd glaucus inspired elder dragon called Ibisu being revealed as the cause of the rampage and its a psychic that possesses one of the shrine maidens using a power called "resonance" who states its thinking "where is my queen? ... where has my queen gone? ...so lonely, so lonely..." which is interesting but i wonder if some people wont like some of the connotations of hunting something like that at the endgame

So it really dumps a lot of new stuff to freshen it up again if you stuck to village hunts and also adds in a new icon that shows random monsters will invade hunts rather than be a static 3 per map which is a nicer randomness than "you start in the middle of nowhere, lmao enjoy a pointless fast travel screen" like before. Over at 70 hours i'm still not bored. I've done like maybe 5 farming quests and one delivery quest at this point with two more to do and the game overall feels more enjoyable than world in general but i think thats just the base experience and we need to see how it lasts longterm. In general though world felt like a rocky first step at open world where everything is really the illusion of openness and actually just tunnels replacing loading screens which in retrospect after thats done away with to a degree you really notice how it effects the monster AI design and how they fight. Monsters in Rise will charge for longer distances and just stay way more active and revisiting world i noticed a lot of monsters stick to this roughly quarter of an arena sized location when attacking which combined with worlds slip and slide movement being replaced with traditional monhun chunky movement on the ground with wirebug webslinging instead of the clutch claw it feels -and this is a wierd analogy- that world feels like following devil may cry with resident evil 5, rise feels like following devil may cry with devil may cry five. One is that same old capcom feel but faster while the other wasn't a bad game but i tried something a bit different and that in the grand scheme of the series makes it feel a bit of an odd duck.

I know going back from wirebug is going to be a tough one. The counter skills alone make getting up in a monsters face rewarding on a level like bloodborne which unless you main hammer or hh is something you dont hear much for "watch ze tail!": the game series.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2021-04-06 at 01:09 PM.

So about 70 hours in i've gotten all the great swords, charge blades and hunting horns i could and finally got around to clearing everything up to the hub 4* urgent which starts hi rank and boy is that a real "that tutorial is over" moment. Its not a difficulty uptick but it unlocks
    -decorations
    -monsters drop gems
    -dyeing armour
    -high rank meownster missions
    -rampage meownster missions
    -apex monsters
    -apex weapons that can be "ramped up" to affix additional stats/effects multiple times instead of the usual once. Though so far it only looks like one apex weapon per weapon type
    -a buttload of new quests, obviously
    -even more styles
    -new arena quests
    -high rank expeditions
    -high rank weapons and armour, thought this expands the tree even further right for even more tiers beyond the initial high rank people thought was the endgame weapons
    -high rank melding pots
    -high rank petula wristbands
    -more great wirebugs to add more boostpad fast travel points to cover all the maps
    -new monsters, including Jyuratodus as an urgent long after you have beaten every flagship from the pre 4U games and magnamalo which is odd
    -All the new monsters have new moves that very much change up their fights and keeps them interesting
    That part is reason why it baffles me that they didn't put ANY sort of indicator of the hub quests being where it all actually continues. You hear "they split it into single and multiplayer hubs", finish village and think that's it.
    You do the village quests, think the hub quests are the same, just without story and the village quests abruptly end rather early, but actually it all continues in the gathering hub.
    Have yet to finish my 6* hub quests, but i wonder if the Apex monsters are a replacement for tempered ones or if we might get tempered apex monsters, because that... could be a real challenge already.

By the way, anyone know if the blue/yellow hammer-stance have actual difference in power or just different moves?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    That part is reason why it baffles me that they didn't put ANY sort of indicator of the hub quests being where it all actually continues. You hear "they split it into single and multiplayer hubs", finish village and think that's it.
    You do the village quests, think the hub quests are the same, just without story and the village quests abruptly end rather early, but actually it all continues in the gathering hub.
    Have yet to finish my 6* hub quests, but i wonder if the Apex monsters are a replacement for tempered ones or if we might get tempered apex monsters, because that... could be a real challenge already.

By the way, anyone know if the blue/yellow hammer-stance have actual difference in power or just different moves?
    I think they assumed the top right "X hunts for the next urgent" would be the indicator since it means "hey look here, more stuff" but i wont be surprised if this months content update just adds some tutorial window pop up when you either beat magnamalo or finish the 6* village hunts since the indicator for hub quests is there from the start and suggest concurrent, separate progress rather than direct continuity.

Beat the current final boss around the 100 hour mark. Still about 8 7* hub quests left but i still think its just too easy overall and thats my one complaint. I carted two or three times in the entire game and the only people i know who failed hunts failed because rando cabbage brains online were standing in stuff on purpose being dicks to wipe a hunt then jumping lobby. Overall its interesting and ends on a cliff hanger that clearly says theres more coming beyond just new hi rank quests and some of the monsters they save till late like Raknai Kadaki which doesn't show up at all till the 7* urgent are really great monsters.

So i would say over all my one complaint is its too easy and needs a bit of number tweaking but overall its more of what i love from 4U than what i hated in World and totally recommend it.