Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Rares, a major problem with shadowlands.

Rares have always been a thing in wow, but since mists of pandaria they have become less so rares, and more so "mobs with special names that are always alive and need to be killed daily for a chance at a reward" instead of "actual rarespawn, that almost always drops their unique reward" of the past.

This is a major fucking issue, especially with shadowlands, and here I am to give you some examples.

1. Bubbleblood- While I can solo this rare, it takes awhile, and its annoying ,it is slow and boring, takes about a minute, and I have killed this rare every day since launch of shadowlands. And yet here we are april 9th, and i still have yet to get his grungy containment pack. The reason I am hunting this item is for the pack cause it fits my mog amazingly. we are almost 6 months in, and this one reward is still missing. that is literally insane, that is in the most simple terms, a 0.5% drop rate (for me) and this is
    one item
    on one rare
    in one zone
    how is that at all respectful to the players time? that you ask of players who want to collect all the rewards just form world content itself, multiple hours of farming every single day, for MONTHS just to have a chance at the rewards, FROM WORLD CONTENT.

2- collector kash- this highlights another issue, he has a few rewards, however one of them the jagged bonesaw could not be obtained till jan 12th when we unlocked a new renown level... after that point he now drops the jagged bonesaw, this item is a modifier you apply to a toy you get as a necrolord. And yet, I have been farming this rare every day since jan 12th. 3 months later, and yet where is that jagged bonesaw? still on the rare. Locking a garunteed item behind unlocking its drop is fine, get renown then go kill a rare and get the item! but locking a RANDOM CHANCE behind something like this? its fucking mental

3- Tahonta- this rare had a secret method required to get the mount, which required reaching a specific level of the abomination factory, and then to go find a secret abomination neena, and then have her on you when you kill the rare, meaning all the kills before this, all the farming, was pointless, cause you never could have gotten the mount. Imagine if some rare had a secret method where you had to kill a rare the same hour your account was registered on, most players would get it acidently, as the others would all be screwed, not knowing that the time they played at and killed it, meant they never ever had the chance of getting this. it took a fair while for players to figure out it was neena that made the mount spawn, and even now we arnt 100% sure, as even with neena, people like me killing tahonta every day still have yet to get the mount.

now i shouldnt need to do this, but fuck it lets give it a shot!
    What does my average day look like?

Log on with neena. Go to tahonta and kill them. No mount
    Go to bubbleblood, ask in chat if anyone wants to help kill. No response. wait 10 seconds, then spend the next minute killing bubbleblood. No pack
    Then go to collector kash, kill him. no bonesaw.
    Then I take the portal back to the seat. and then i go to the abom factory and collect unity. Then go and do ALL the maldraxxus world quests. Then return to the abom factory and pick up neena again.

Oh wait unity? oh yeah. There is an ENTIRE ARMOR SET locked behind doing world quests in maldraxxus with unity as your active abom, unity an abom not obtainable till rank 5 of the abom factory. And has no weekly quest, same with neena, so you cant carry their summon items in your bag, you have to go actually pick them up from the abom factory. And completing a world quest with unity, has about a 1 in 20 chance of giving you a peice of gear for your mog set.

Now repeat this for 6 months straight, and im sure you start to see why this is so fucking draining, depressing, and tiring.
    Because of this I have been playing less and less of shadowlands day by day, to the point most days my log in is just to go, kill these 3 rares, then log off, because its just exhausting. and im playing more classic then live, even playing more of other games that i used to only play when wow's servers were down.

People love to talk about how "locking flying is just blizzard trying to force people to stay subbed for longer" i love to point out that is hilariously wrong.
    Simply because this, this right here is that. its gambling, not with money but with time. "If i kill them today i might just get it!" its disgusting and disrespectful to players time. Blizzard needs to increase the drop rate of rares, or simply return them to what they used to be.

I can garuntee you right now, I far prefered the time lost protodrake to this shit. When I farmed that mount it took me a long time, but that i could sit there and play something else, it was "once it spawns i am 100% going to get it" instead of this, were the mob is always there, but every single day you have a chance to get the item, and this chance means you are never actually garunteed to get it, even if you farm for 6 fucking months like I have.

Many people call me a shill saying I never say anything bad about the game, usually because I keep to myself the problems, simply because my problems with the game are ones plenty of people already talk about, or ones not big enough to make a thread or big deal about, so I never really voice them, but for yall that keep calling me shill and such, here is one of my problems I feel is big enough to talk about, and is a major problem.

Blizzard makes a lot of stupid fucking decisions, but stuff like this, these "small things" they add up, especially as this is THREE RARES there is atleast 100 in shadowlands. and yet 3 of them have me here 6 months later still missing rewards. I can only fucking imagine how bad it is for other people who actually want to "complete" shadowlands. I know for example desmephisto who is going for full plate, he has been doing hardcore wow every day all day for 6 months now on multiple warriors to try and get all the plate gear in shadowlands. here we are 6 months later, hes got multiple warriors of each covenent. and yet hes only about 50% done completion... that is fucking insane.

I did so many dailies, killed so many rares, I was world first 20k, 30k, and 35k anima. And yet here we are, there is still countless rewards i have to unlock, after months of farming, and yet ive maybe only unlocked 20-30% of necorlord cloth rewards. like and there is fucking 3 more necrolord armor types, then ontop of that 3 more covenants, like you gotta be fucking kidding me.

Rant over, im gunna go drink for abit and see how this turns out, tell me what item youve been farming for or something idk. what rare has been fucking abyssmal to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Shit, I think FelPlague got hacked.

The only thing I agree sucks about collectible farming in SL is that many things are locked behind weeks of covenant progression, which I guess is Blizzard's direct answer to people just leveling tons of alts and making the grind irrelevant. Luckily, most aren't that bad and just require you to be a part of an X covenant, but rares like Tahonta are just a pain in the ass.

As for Bubbleblood and such - I don't think there's anything particualrly wrong here. It's fine for some rares not to be soloable. Either find a group, or wait a patch or two until you can reliably solo it. The rares that drop collectibles other than mounts are always harder to find a group, it's part of the hunt imo.

Other than that...Blizzard please just delete the weekly cooldown on ember court or cut it down to 2 or 3 days. That shit is gonna take forever. It was fun the first 5 times, now it's just turning into a chore.

Oh, and of course, my main complaint is that too many collectibles are just bought with the single resource - anima. Which turns SL completionist gameplay into one big anima farm.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Sooooo you’re complaining that the rares are rarely dropping your rare item.....sounds kinda rare to me /shrug

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    Sooooo you’re complaining that the rares are rarely dropping your rare item.....sounds kinda rare to me /shrug
    6 months of killing the same mob every day, that is a 0.5% drop rate, for a green dagger item.
    how is that rare, that is literally crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    The only thing I agree sucks about collectible farming in SL is that many things are locked behind weeks of covenant progression, which I guess is Blizzard's direct answer to people just leveling tons of alts and making the grind irrelevant. Luckily, most aren't that bad and just require you to be a part of an X covenant, but rares like Tahonta are just a pain in the ass.

As for Bubbleblood and such - I don't think there's anything particualrly wrong here. It's fine for some rares not to be soloable. Either find a group, or wait a patch or two until you can reliably solo it. The rares that drop collectibles other than mounts are always harder to find a group, it's part of the hunt imo.

Other than that...Blizzard please just delete the weekly cooldown on ember court or cut it down to 2 or 3 days. That shit is gonna take forever. It was fun the first 5 times, now it's just turning into a chore
    As i said i can solo bubbleblood, but speaking ive killed the guy for 6 months and have yet to get the pack.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    Shit, I think FelPlague got hacked.
    nah ive made complaints in the past, but as i said, the complaints i have are usually minor, or ones that everyone shares, so why say them? like how 9.1 is taking too long, we need more glyphs, where is our more customization? etc etc. but everyone says those, so why post something literally everyone agrees with and speaks about to death.

uhm i gave up farming some key mounts years ago, let alone the ZG Tiger that was removed from the game b4 it ever dropped for me. should rare items have bad luck protection yes... but they don't so either farm if you want it or don't, its all you can do. Best part is when that person gets it on their first kill...
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    6 months of killing the same mob every day, that is a 0.5% drop rate, for a green dagger item.

- - - Updated - - -

As i said i can solo bubbleblood, but speaking ive killed the guy for 6 months and have yet to get the pack.

- - - Updated - - -

nah ive made complaints in the past, but as i said, the complaints i have are usually minor, or ones that everyone shares, so why say them? like how 9.1 is taking too long, we need more glyphs, where is our more customization? etc etc. but everyone says those, so why post something literally everyone agrees with and speaks about to death.
    6 months is nothing. You have rares i the game that have not dropped an item/pet/mount for people farming them for over a decade every day. 6 months is nothing.

Wow... that is just.. I bet this complaint hasn't even reached blizzard yet since so few people actually bothered doing this stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I completely agree. When Shadowlands launched I was game to kill rares every day for a mount or tmog, but now? No fucking way. At least not until flying makes it a little less unbearable. Not to mention how arbitrary the health and damage of the rares are. Some rares are completely soloable and drop unique items, while some will have the HP of a raid boss, hit like a truck and drop nothing (or vice versa). There's no consistency to how they design rares these days, or they simply don't care. At the end of the day it's one of the many examples lately of Blizzard not giving a shit about the player's time, a theme that is seen all throughout this dumpster fire of an expansion.

World of Farmcraft isn't my cup of tea. Lots of treadmill game design...even moreso than usual. They made everything more "rare". Loot drops, anima, rare drops, etc. Maybe that's why they handed out 197 covenant gear, but it doesn't change the fact that the entire thing is just a boring slog in just about all aspects of the game. Kudos to you for sticking with it for so long, I guess. It makes me wonder if you're resilient or just a masochist, though.

Is this where i should mention i got the pack on what was literally my first kill of Bubbleblood?

Joking aside. A lot of the drop rates do suck, no argument there, but is it really any different than people who have farmed things for years? I suppose it could be argued that some things have more "value" than others, but it also comes down to personal value, you want the backpack, you put in the grind and pray to the RNG gods.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Is this where i should mention i got the pack on what was literally my first kill of Bubbleblood?
    i got it on like my second kill on alpha, so i know it drops, i know that kinda shit happens, but the fact badluck protection does not exist on this shit, and is not like "kill the mob 10 times, get it for sure" is fucking garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    A choice between a super rare mob that is camped, or a daily “rare” that has a low drop rate? I’d take the daily. Sure, it might take a while but at least you have a chance, vs months or even years of camping.

You can thank multiboxers and people playing the game for over 12 hours a day since MoP (yes there are people like that) for why drop rates suck. A completion treadmill working like an arms race between players and the devs. Only way you can win is to replicate what the highest metagame players do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like your just unlucky. Got the pack on my 5th bubble kill and the bonesaw on my 10th maybe. Some rares do suck but for the most part it's fine. I would rather spend 6 months killing a rare and not get anything then do what the crazies do for things like time lost.

At least in that way you are playing the game.

Logging in your character and sitting still for 8 hours everyday waiting for a respawn is not gameplay.

I was world first 20k, 30k, and 35k anima.
    There was an achievement for this? How do you know this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

How did you not mention the existence of the Violet Mistake in there at all though.

I lucked out and got the mount on the first kill thankfully.

Honestly, I'd rather what we have now over stuff like the TLPD though, that just feels like it's completely impossible outside of dumb luck and wasting far too much time just to have someone stroll by and steal it first.

BUT, on the same note...I don't think it should be so extreme. Such a low drop chance being tied to nearly hour long respawns is a bit much, or having no actual indication that it's locked behind renown/covenant even. It should be more upfront about that, the amount of vagueness that existed for the first month on rares and whether or not it drops for all players or only certain covenants at certain renown is problematic overall.