Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchpotato2013 View Post
    This is mob justice/cancel culture in a post with a dash of proletariat.

All you had to say was just heavily squelch people who do it frequently, with a ban for X period of time for breaking the rules after the squelch.
    So punish them but not too much... fine by me. Punishment it's up to each owner of the platform to determine anyway so I'm not fussed about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    just type it in the chinese font the game supports! bet they won't bother disabling/filtering that.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚 works fine in game last time i tried. so 卄ㄖ几Ꮆ Ҝㄖ几Ꮆ should work too.
    THICC..../char
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Players are actually mad they cant say racist, misogynist, xenophobic words. If you don't like it, quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    The problem with those filters is that they often filter words that aren't really offensive in other languages.
    For example you can't even say "jap" (a form of "yes") in the German client because the filter thinks it's the English slur for Japanese.
    Another example, this time from sweden.

”Slut” is our word for ”end”

”Slutet på filmen” would be ”The end of the movie” for example.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Players are actually mad they cant say racist, misogynist, xenophobic words. If you don't like it, quit.
    Imagine if these people had grown up in the 90s when the religious right had a stranglehold on the FCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost controller View Post
    https://www.wowhead.com/news/chat-mo...d-words-321894

Not really sure how I feel about this to be honest. If I want spicy language and opted into it I feel like I should be allowed spicy language. Not a game breaking change but one I find mildly disappointing.
    Before we all go into its censorship , freedom of speech etc.
    A couple of things:

- we do not know what words. maybe its really bad words like r*pe, d*ke, n*gg*r etc. So wait until we know the words.
    - Do we need really bad shit in chat? nope. We want to play a game, and you can get angry at eachother. But if the words are really bad they have no place there.
    - freedom of speech baby's. Read up on the real law ( freedom of speech). Not what you think it means. But what the law is around. Harrasement, bullying, discrimination etc does not fall under freedom of speech ( according to the law). and it also does not protect you from being countered with legal, physical or just plain words that might be thrown back at you.

Waaaaa I can't call someone who stood in the fire the n-word, waaaaaa
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Its the youth. they think thanks to the Joe rogans, Ben shapiro's, Jake pauls, ashealvssh*t*ss etc that they can say everything they want. That freedom of speech etc is a law that lets you say everything you want. Without knowing the real law.
    Hell some of the folks i just named ( and others) just say: its freedom of speech. They push the agenda of falsehoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    Another example, this time from sweden.

”Slut” is our word for ”end”

”Slutet på filmen” would be ”The end of the movie” for example.
    Every foreigner I know find the end of the line stop funny. "Slutstation"; and it is funny.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    When niggardly is censored, the end times are near for those penny pinchers at Blizz.
    When retarded is censored, the end times are near for those who artificially restrict the speed at which design elements are changed.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    The problem with those filters is that they often filter words that aren't really offensive in other languages.
    For example you can't even say "jap" (a form of "yes") in the German client because the filter thinks it's the English slur for Japanese.
    Maybe they make a list for every server languages.
    But if not. Live with it would say. Because if we go with exceptions , they most likely could not make the list at all.
    And if you really feel the need to talk with your friends in your own languages use voice chat/TS/discord etc.

Im fine as long as this doesn't include mild stuff like "shit" and "fuck". Also, now that the tech is here, they can add this to the groupfinder to blacklist stuff like "WTS".

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost controller View Post
    https://www.wowhead.com/news/chat-mo...d-words-321894

Not really sure how I feel about this to be honest. If I want spicy language and opted into it I feel like I should be allowed spicy language. Not a game breaking change but one I find mildly disappointing.
    I think it's less about "spicy" language and more about racial slurs (among other things), which aren't covered by the profanity filter.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Yea, I don't really see the point to not even allow me to turn it off. I did read a funny comment about Twitch being aggressive with their filter. I guess I understand blocking slurs, but communication breaks down pretty quickly when they start doing words used in everyday life.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if they would also block nigga. I mean that's used hourly in communication between blacks. That's kinda my point about communication breaking down quickly when companies go overboard with words used in everyday communication though.
    I'll never forget Dark Souls 2 censoring "Knight" into "K***ht"

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I think it's less about "spicy" language and more about racial slurs (among other things), which aren't covered by the profanity filter.
    Same shit. Filters never work correct. Mandatory censorship is plain harassment due to said bugs. The people who want mandatory instead of optional are plain insane.

I don't agree with people using the n word but systems like this just open themselves up to stuff being more censored.

There is an ignore feature for a reason and a report feature for a reason. This is an online game, at the end of the day if someone is upsetting you, ignore them or turn the game off/shut your eyes.

As long as Blizzard keeps this list to literally one word and any variations (accents, Cyrillic alphabet etc) it should be fine - anything more and it's v questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaJones View Post
    I don't agree with people using the n word but systems like this just open themselves up to stuff being more censored.

There is an ignore feature for a reason and a report feature for a reason. This is an online game, at the end of the day if someone is upsetting you, ignore them or turn the game off/shut your eyes.

As long as Blizzard keeps this list to literally one word and any variations (accents, Cyrillic alphabet etc) it should be fine - anything more and it's v questionable.
    Look at gold sellers evading word filters. It will never fulfil its intended function against someone really trying.

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    Maybe they make a list for every server languages.
    But if not. Live with it would say. Because if we go with exceptions , they most likely could not make the list at all.
    And if you really feel the need to talk with your friends in your own languages use voice chat/TS/discord etc.
    How would that even work with cross realm grouping? I constantly see russians for example. Your last sentence is also the height of true ignorance.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    What's tone-deaf exactly? You know nigga is going to be added to the list. My point is why, when it's an everyday used word with no negative connotation at all, ESPECIALLY for the segment of the population they would have added it to the list on behalf of.

My view is that there are so many languages, until servers are language-specific there is absolutely no feasible way to ever coddle words as they mean completely different things in different languages, let alone to different groups of people.
    Quite frankly, because it isn’t yours or mine place to tell black Americans what they can and can’t say to each other. Or anyone for that matter

It reminds me of men trying to regulate women’s bodies when no man should ever have a single vote or say on women’s issues as we tend to be the cause of all their problems, not their solutions

If that word is ever retired, that’s up to the black community. Not us. We gotta sit this one out

Hypocrisy? Maybe a little but sometimes you gotta swallow your pride in life and accept something as it is

"WAHHH I CAN'T CALL PEOPLE RACIAL SLURS ANYMORE THIS IS CENSORSHIP MUH FREEDOM OF SPEECH LITERALLY 1984"

You people are such babies.

They're adding text-to-speech in the accessibility options, which could lead to all sorts of embarrassment. That said, they could have censored those phonemes in the TTS processor and still allowed them to be seen on screen, but my guess is once they crossed the rubicon they figured no half measures.

If there was some way to prove your blackness (or that you're muslim, or jewish, or asian, or gay, or whatever) and thus allow you to use those words I guess I'd be OK with that, but since that's impossible it's best to block everybody from saying them.