Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Explain to me how ppl may want Cinderace or Drillaboom lvl 11-20 to trade for on pokemon HOME? These evolutions that happen after lvl 30, no?

Interestingly enough pokemon theyre willing to trade for those are like shiny Mewtwo or shiny Xerneas lvl 100
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    Explain to me how ppl may want Cinderace or Drillaboom lvl 11-20 to trade for on pokemon HOME? These evolutions that happen after lvl 30, no?

Interestingly enough pokemon theyre willing to trade for those are like shiny Mewtwo or shiny Xerneas lvl 100
    They want to show off their shinies so they put them up in GTS with impossible requests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anybody actually picking up new pokemon snap? I'm considering getting it seeing how its probably the least controversial pokemon game atm lol, but im not convinced to get it just yet.

Nope. It does look excellent for what it is, but I've never been interested on Snap as a game.

Besides, I'm playing way too much Honkai right now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ðemonhuntr View Post
    Anybody actually picking up new pokemon snap? I'm considering getting it seeing how its probably the least controversial pokemon game atm lol, but im not convinced to get it just yet.
    NDA's are still going on for early players, but I've heard a lot of good things about the amount of content in it compared to the original. The only thing that sounds worrying is "over 200 pokemon". Sounds like a small amount given how many pokemon exist now (along with variants, we see Alolan Raichu in a trailer), on top of how many stages and the fact that night and day variants for each stage have different pokemon. I could be wrong though. Plus from the videos I saw, there's so much shit packed into each area. I'll be working tomorrow but I'll buy it at work. been waiting for this for so very long, and I just got a Switch (Lite).

Quote Originally Posted by Ðemonhuntr View Post
    not for 60€
    for like 30 i'd buy it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    not for 60€
    for like 30 i'd buy it
    As someone who recently finished Pokemon Shield and found it to be pretty massively underwhelming, I'm willing to bet Pokemon Snap will be worth the $60 a whole lot more than Shield was.

I already played Snap on the N64. It was... okay. I don't feel like dropping $60 on a game I've already played.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I already played Snap on the N64. It was... okay. I don't feel like dropping $60 on a game I've already played.
    You...are aware that it's not a re-release, it's a brand new game, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    You...are aware that it's not a re-release, it's a brand new game, right?
    It's effectively the same gameplay: going around taking pictures of Pokemon. The new bells and whistles don't entice me.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's effectively the same gameplay: going around taking pictures of Pokemon. The new bells and whistles don't entice me.

He says, in the POKEMON thread.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    So is literally every main series Pokemon game. There are a lot of series were the gameplay is effectively the same.

Essentially, your complaint applies to the vast majority of series.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    So is literally every main series Pokemon game. There are a lot of series were the gameplay is effectively the same.

Essentially, your complaint applies to the vast majority of series.
    I enjoy the main series' gameplay when it is executed well.

I don't think any changes to Snap's gameplay is going to get me to like it.

7+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy the main series' gameplay when it is executed well.

I don't think any changes to Snap's gameplay is going to get me to like it.
    The Main Series gameplay has been relatively unchanged since Gen I.
    And virtually the same since Gen IV.

You have had gimmicks added like Z-Moves, Megas, and now Dynamax, but the core of the gameplay is pretty much unchanged. But, the last big shake up to the core gameplay of pokemon was in Gen IV where the physical/special split happened. And even that didn't really "change the gameplay."

I don't see how you accept minor changes in Pokemon for the main series while not with Snap. You have a right to your opinion, but Pokemon's main series isn't innovative in its gameplay so holding that against a side game seems odd to me.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    The Main Series gameplay has been relatively unchanged since Gen I.
    And virtually the same since Gen IV.

You have had gimmicks added like Z-Moves, Megas, and now Dynamax, but the core of the gameplay is pretty much unchanged. But, the last big shake up to the core gameplay of pokemon was in Gen IV where the physical/special split happened. And even that didn't really "change the gameplay."

I don't see how you accept minor changes in Pokemon for the main series while not with Snap. You have a right to your opinion, but Pokemon's main series isn't innovative in its gameplay so holding that against a side game seems odd to me.
    I did not hold "lack of innovation" against anything.

My complaint about the recent mainline games has been in their mediocre execution. I've talked at length several times before in this thread about how gens 1 through 4 executed the world design very well, and then how in gen 5 the world design started getting bad. The game designers made Pokemon challenging in gens 3, 4, and 5, but starting in 6 they threw all semblance of difficulty out the window. The story of the Pokemon games has become intrusive and bloated without actually telling a better story or improving the quality of the games (contrast with BW, which told a great story without intercepting you and forcing you into a 10 minute long unskippable cutscene whenever you walked 5 feet). Game Freak can't even get the fundamentals of their formula right anymore.

7+ Year Old Account
    I did not hold "lack of innovation" against anything.

My complaint about the recent mainline games has been in their mediocre execution. I've talked at length several times before in this thread about how gens 1 through 4 executed the world design very well, and then how in gen 5 the world design started getting bad. The game designers made Pokemon challenging in gens 3, 4, and 5, but starting in 6 they threw all semblance of difficulty out the window. The story of the Pokemon games has become intrusive and bloated without actually telling a better story or improving the quality of the games (contrast with BW, which told a great story without intercepting you and forcing you into a 10 minute long unskippable cutscene whenever you walked 5 feet). Game Freak can't even get the fundamentals of their formula right anymore.
    1) Main series games were never actually difficult. The hardest challenges were either optional or because of poor scaling/giving them a monster pokemon. Cynthia is the hardest Champion by a mile, and the only time I lose to her is when I have imposed a challenge on myself. Starting in Gen VI, Pokemon had moved from focusing on the difficulty in the single player game and moved to make it easier and easier to get competitive pokemon. The story is secondary now for Pokemon. They want more people in the Player vs Player aspect.

2) We are talking gameplay. The gameplay in Pokemon hasn't really changed from it's Gen I days, now you are talking difficulty. Difficulty in a game is NOT gameplay. You can have incredibly difficult games with simple gameplay, but incredible easy game with unnecessarily complex gameplay. So is it difficulty or gameplay? These aren't the same thing.
    –The Sith Code

Sword and shield is acctually the first Pokemon Game since red/blue I didnt even bother to finnish.
    The whole game felt like I had lvl 100 Pokemon and had to break my own kneecaps to make it somewhat enjoyable.

Since I usually play Pokemon-games by going trough the story with a few of my favorite Pokemon and some I just level to fill in the Pokedex; I usually bump into some challenges now and then.
    But in Sword and Shield it felt like it was impossible to do anything wrong.

For some reason, it also felt like the game didnt have any soul.
    Im just a random avatar looking at the main characters doing their thing

Even sun/moon and X/Y had some charm to it, heck: Even Lets Go.

But luckily there are some Pokemon-inspired games out there that does it right. So I do get to scratch my itch
    Yo-kai watch for example

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    As someone who recently finished Pokemon Shield and found it to be pretty massively underwhelming, I'm willing to bet Pokemon Snap will be worth the $60 a whole lot more than Shield was.
    not worth 60€ for me
    I played snap 20 years ago at a friends house and it's not just my type of gameplay

Quote Originally Posted by Rootsbum View Post
    Sword and shield is acctually the first Pokemon Game since red/blue I didnt even bother to finnish.
    The whole game felt like I had lvl 100 Pokemon and had to break my own kneecaps to make it somewhat enjoyable.

Since I usually play Pokemon-games by going trough the story with a few of my favorite Pokemon and some I just level to fill in the Pokedex; I usually bump into some challenges now and then.
    But in Sword and Shield it felt like it was impossible to do anything wrong.

For some reason, it also felt like the game didnt have any soul.
    Im just a random avatar looking at the main characters doing their thing

Even sun/moon and X/Y had some charm to it, heck: Even Lets Go.

But luckily there are some Pokemon-inspired games out there that does it right. So I do get to scratch my itch
    Yo-kai watch for example
    You might of just aged out of it. I admit I can't really play the games myself anymore beyond the card game on flights.(Also why are there no new pokemon tcg games?)

I still think the characters are neat and every once and a while I pick up a figure for myself alongside the kids. Got a little litwick now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some thoughts on New Pokemon Snap as I near the end of the story:

Pros:

You can take pictures without zooming in, unlike the original. This makes it better when you're TOO close to something to get a good size.

Similarly, you can use items when you ARE zoomed in, unlike the original. Saves a bit of time, and you're gonna need it.

The different stars for each pokemon is really nice. It means you get more points per pokemon by having four different poses saved, and it means you don't have to commit to just one image.

I haven't really done a lot with it, but being able to alter your photos (not for points, they're not stupid, for aesthetics) is a nice touch.

Day/night differences make for more replayability. Sure it's the same map, but with vastly different actions for each pokemon, and even new ones, it can feel like a new stage. Especially since:

There are loads of different paths. I think each stage has at least one alternate path you can unlock to get different shots (and sometimes, like the original, used to unlock progress).

The research levels for each stage again adds more chances to see new pokemon or find new poses for existing ones.

The quests or objectives, whatever you call them, are nice to use as hints for finding different poses.

I was worried about "only" more than 200 pokemon, but it doesn't feel like they reuse many. Vivillon is the one that seems to show up everywhere.

Altaria is in there. That is all.

Cons:

The environments are pretty generic. There was a fanmade stage years ago that had you travel through a big city, taking photos and even seeing a pokemon battle. But for this, you still have beach stage, jungle stage, volcano stage, reef stage. They're pretty, but still pretty basic.

Fuck the Steelix fight.

Even though you have different stars for each pokemon, you still only pick one picture at the end of a run for each pokemon, not for each star. So if you got a rare four star event, you kinda have to go with it instead of maybe that really good one-star shot.

No pester balls. I think the electromagnetic pulse of the scan plus the food is supposed to replicate them, but I still feel like there isn't a good way to annoy pokemon in a way that triggers new effects.

Fuck the Steelix fight.

The illumina orb is supposed to help trigger new pokemon poses, but it doesn't seem to do much. Instead, it's really just there to trigger events or light flowers.

No evolutions. People were worried about this before the game released, and it's true. There are a lot of different things to trigger still, but no evolutions feels really weird.

Fuck the Steelix fight.

While the research levels are a nice touch, if you want to get a better shot of certain pokemon, you have to reduce the level of that course in order to find those poses. This feels clunky and counterintuitive to, you know, leveling.

Those different paths are hard to find sometimes, and have zero hints that I have seen. Had to look up a couple of em.

Fuck the Steelix fight.

In terms of scoring, you don't get to see the professor get excited over special poses anymore. It's not "OH! This is the rare Pikachu on a surfboard!" You just get "Pose: Nice pose, 900 points". It sounds stupid and nitpicky, but it was one of those things that added to the charm.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2021-05-07 at 02:02 AM.