Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Baron Harkonnen is supposed to be very fat, diseased, and physically and morally grotesque. He can't even walk under this own power anymore due to a sickness/disease he is given after he rapes a nun, basically.

In the books, Vald wears a gravity suspension suit because he can no longer walk on his own. That action figure is most likely the film version of what is said in the novel to be the suspension suit.

Most of the technology in Dune is described as being so discrete as to be almost unnoticeable (like a lamp can be a supercomputer) or extremely mundane seeming- this butter knife is plain and ordinary-looking but is a laser weapon that can melt a spaceship. The peoples in Dune largely considered it, culturally, poor form to have technology that obviously stood out as machinery or product and so forth.
    Computers and what are called thinking machines are banned in the Dune universe. They still exist in some forms but in the original book that's a big part of why things such as navigators and mentats are necessary to do advanced calculations. Due to machines/ai having enslaved humanity and them being banned in many forms as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    Computers and what are called thinking machines are banned in the Dune universe. They still exist in some forms but in the original book that's a big part of why things such as navigators and mentats are necessary to do advanced calculations. Due to machines/ai having enslaved humanity and them being banned in many forms as a result.
    I am.aware. I wasn't talking about a literal supercomputer- it was just referring an advanced machine relative to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I am.aware. I wasn't talking about a literal supercomputer- it was just referring an advanced machine relative to us.
    The Dune books never really cared about being super consistent with this. The Butlerian interdict is on "thinking machines", but what that really means and where the boundaries are is never clearly defined; in realist terms, a lot of the technology we are presented with wouldn't work without SOME form of computer. I don't think Herbert was trying to focus on where the line between a simple integrated controller and a complex computer system really lies - the issue was more like the OC Bible quote "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind", i.e. articulating a relationship between human subjectivity and the potentials of its technological usurpation, not so much the utilitarian aspect of technology. That's why the Ixians are somewhat tolerated - they produce machines that skirt the limits of the Butlerian Jihad, but their focus isn't on cognition, it's on utility.

As for the subtlety of technology, we have divergent portrayals as well. On the one hand there seems to be an aesthetic around integration (like ornaments doubling as devices like e.g. poison snoopers), on the other hand there's also very obvious displays like shield devices, or some of the cyborg implants in later books (which are readily apparent at first glance rather than trying to create the illusion of biology). There's also a peculiar biologism at work, where a lot of devices employ "natural" materials (like shigawire) or bionic designs like ornithopters - juxtaposed with the immensity of artificial bulwarks like heighliners. It's part of Herbert's dialectic, a motif that recurs in many places throughout the Dune series (think for example of the Tleilaxu's advanced biotech vs. the Bene Gesserit's dogmatic refusal of even simple procedures like artificial insemination).

5+ Year Old Account
    damn, warner bros blocked that video... I wonder why they didn't have the teaser on their own channel, was mentioned only a few times on the net, originated from some french sites i think. I didn't notice at first but then when I read the comments n went back to look n saw "only in theaters" and with warner bros not puting up content, this might all be Denis showing warner bros his middle finger? Guy is prob mad as hell, n he has every right to be.

some concept art on reddit
    https://www.reddit.com/r/dune/commen...s_through_the/

Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-04-13 at 08:10 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I'm late to the news party on this - but read an article today (sorry can't link it - was this morning on my phone and now i'm at work with no time to go find it - but I know its out there =D) stating that this movie is already scripted and intended to be one of 2 for the FIRST book and there's no reliable word that there will even get to be a second movie, depending on how this one does. And, at least the way this article writes it, odds are against there being a 2nd movie already.

But this movie is ending part-way through the first book, on a cliff-hanger somewhere. And 50/50 odds (at best) that the 2nd movie will ever be made.

I love Herbert's Dune Series. The entire thing. I even enjoy the prequels written after his death. I enjoy (for all of its dark wakkiness) Lynch's Dune. Though I did find the scifi miniseries boring as hell, unfortunately (and I never thought someone could make Dune boring lol).

But reading that this movie is intended to only be half the book with no contracted sequel - takes all the wind out of my sails to even bother watching.

Or at least, not bothering to watch until the 2nd movie is in production.

And I was so excited to see Dune get another chance - to maybe be done WELL. SOO EXCITE! But now... so disappoint. No interest at all anymore. Cuz if its awesome its just going to be 'the suck' when we never see the 2nd half of the damn plot. /sigh
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

5+ Year Old Account
    Ehm, it's several books, that's like, 10 movies, n u won't see the 1st cuz 2nd must be in production first?...

that's like refusing to see star wars until empire strikes back entered production..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-04-16 at 08:05 AM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Ehm, it's several books, that's like, 10 movies, n u won't see the 1st cuz 2nd must be in production first?...

that's like refusing to see star wars until empire strikes back entered production..
    Yes, the DUNE Series is 6 books (the original series - not even counting the later books). That's not my point. They aren't attempting to do a movie about the whole series. That was never in discussion, offered, or on the table (I wish but it isn't - lol). They are doing a movie about 1 book. The first one.

They're breaking the first BOOK up into 2 movies. Which I also don't (usually) have a problem with.

Except they've decided to do this with no solid plan or commitment from the studio that the 2nd one will be made. So the plot of the first book is broken in two - and no idea if we'll ever see a movie about the 2nd half of the book.

This isn't LOTR where we all knew they were doing all three - one book a movie - before the first one hit the theater. This isn't the Hobbit - one book broken into 3 movies; because those 3 movies were promised from the get-go so we knew they'd at least finish the story. (not addressing whether it should have been or not, just saying they finished the story) Its not Harry Potter - again one movie one book - each movie a complete story; and on top of that the studio committed to ALL the series early on as well.

This is one story broken into two parts - and the only thing we know we get is the first half of the story. The 2nd half is in no way, shape, or form, been committed to. And if this ends up being a VOD, or pandemic-release where only a few theaters even have attendees - I'd be willing to bet we probably won't ever get the 2nd half of this movie.

And that's a bummer if it ends up being a quality movie-version of the book. To only get half of the well-done story.

And for me - yea - it almost kills the excitement I had to see this movie. I want the complete story. Whatever this 'vision' is - if its any good and if its worth seeing - then I'm gonna be really disappointed to never see the 2nd half of this 'vision.' In fact the better it is, the more disappointing I would be. So disappointed that yea, I may not bother with the first half - because "what's the point?" Even if I think its the greatest movie I've ever seen - its only half a story that may never be completed. Could even consider it 'half a movie'.

This also isn't a movie storyline that may or may not need or want a sequal. Its not Fast and Furious or Toy Story or National Lampoon's Vacation (picking random movies here!) or any of the other myriad of movies out there that get turned into a movie series when they 'start out' as single movie ideas. When that happens each movie is shot as its own stand-alone story - complete story told in the movie - before they add sequels that tell their own, mostly stand-alone, stories. This is a movie that cannot be a stand alone story. And hoping you get the 2nd half one day.

Its also not 1976 - and the movie watching public has different expectations and different demands - from its movies and tv shows these days. Do you think everyone would have flocked happily to see Avengers Infinity War if they thought End Game might never be made? Some would have - and some would have definitely waited. How many people regretted GoT because the ending sucked? How many of those people would never have started watching HBO's GoT if they knew the ending sucked or that they'd never see how it ended? I know a lot of people who won't start watching it now because the ending 'isn't worth it'.

FOR ME - yea - if I knew Star Wars was coming out and it had a cliff-hanger ending that might never get resolved because the next movie wasn't approved - I'd probably wait until I knew one way or another. But that movie had a different reality when it released, and that wasn't how the industry worked back then.

Now, if they announce the 2nd movie is approved before they launch this one in the theaters - I'll happily line up day one and pay full price for my ticket and be exited!

But if we don't get that, then yea - I'm struggling to be excited for this. I want the whole story by the same director/writer's 'vision'. And as I do have the complete story in other formats, I don't feel a drive to watch half a story in the new movie - esp. if that's all we end up getting. Cuz yea, "the ending isn't worth it" If it doesn't exist.

Just sucks the studio won't commit. And sucks the writer/director can't or won't wrap this up in one 3 1/2 hour movie, to ensure his vision is kept throughout the story. (Heaven forfend if they do a 2nd-half movie with a different team - gulp!)
    Last edited by Koriani; 2021-04-20 at 06:25 PM.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Yes, the DUNE Series is 6 books (the original series - not even counting the later books). That's not my point. They aren't attempting to do a movie about the whole series. That was never in discussion, offered, or on the table (I wish but it isn't - lol). They are doing a movie about 1 book. The first one.

They're breaking the first BOOK up into 2 movies. Which I also don't (usually) have a problem with.

Except they've decided to do this with no solid plan or commitment from the studio that the 2nd one will be made. So the plot of the first book is broken in two - and no idea if we'll ever see a movie about the 2nd half of the book.

This isn't LOTR where we all knew they were doing all three - one book a movie - before the first one hit the theater. This isn't the Hobbit - one book broken into 3 movies; because those 3 movies were promised from the get-go so we knew they'd at least finish the story. (not addressing whether it should have been or not, just saying they finished the story) Its not Harry Potter - again one movie one book - each movie a complete story; and on top of that the studio committed to ALL the series early on as well.

This is one story broken into two parts - and the only thing we know we get is the first half of the story. The 2nd half is in no way, shape, or form, been committed to. And if this ends up being a VOD, or pandemic-release where only a few theaters even have attendees - I'd be willing to bet we probably won't ever get the 2nd half of this movie.

And that's a bummer if it ends up being a quality movie-version of the book. To only get half of the well-done story.

And for me - yea - it almost kills the excitement I had to see this movie. I want the complete story. Whatever this 'vision' is - if its any good and if its worth seeing - then I'm gonna be really disappointed to never see the 2nd half of this 'vision.' In fact the better it is, the more disappointing I would be. So disappointed that yea, I may not bother with the first half - because "what's the point?" Even if I think its the greatest movie I've ever seen - its only half a story that may never be completed. Could even consider it 'half a movie'.

This also isn't a movie storyline that may or may not need or want a sequal. Its not Fast and Furious or Toy Story or National Lampoon's Vacation (picking random movies here!) or any of the other myriad of movies out there that get turned into a movie series when they 'start out' as single movie ideas. When that happens each movie is shot as its own stand-alone story - complete story told in the movie - before they add sequels that tell their own, mostly stand-alone, stories. This is a movie that cannot be a stand alone story. And hoping you get the 2nd half one day.

Its also not 1976 - and the movie watching public has different expectations and different demands - from its movies and tv shows these days. Do you think everyone would have flocked happily to see Avengers Infinity War if they thought End Game might never be made? Some would have - and some would have definitely waited. How many people regretted GoT because the ending sucked? How many of those people would never have started watching HBO's GoT if they knew the ending sucked or that they'd never see how it ended? I know a lot of people who won't start watching it now because the ending 'isn't worth it'.

FOR ME - yea - if I knew Star Wars was coming out and it had a cliff-hanger ending that might never get resolved because the next movie wasn't approved - I'd probably wait until I knew one way or another. But that movie had a different reality when it released, and that wasn't how the industry worked back then.

Now, if they announce the 2nd movie is approved before they launch this one in the theaters - I'll happily line up day one and pay full price for my ticket and be exited!

But if we don't get that, then yea - I'm struggling to be excited for this. I want the whole story by the same director/writer's 'vision'. And as I do have the complete story in other formats, I don't feel a drive to watch half a story in the new movie - esp. if that's all we end up getting. Cuz yea, "the ending isn't worth it" If it doesn't exist.

Just sucks the studio won't commit. And sucks the writer/director can't or won't wrap this up in one 3 1/2 hour movie, to ensure his vision is kept throughout the story. (Heaven forfend if they do a 2nd-half movie with a different team - gulp!)
    It really blows my mind that they wouldn't have just filmed both movies at the same time then do a staggered release. Given that the whole book takes place on Dune with essentially all the same characters so why not just film it all while you have everyone together and most of the sets already built? They could probably have gotten all the actors to take a huge paycut as well as opposed to bringing them all back to do the second part at a later time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    It really blows my mind that they wouldn't have just filmed both movies at the same time then do a staggered release. Given that the whole book takes place on Dune with essentially all the same characters so why not just film it all while you have everyone together and most of the sets already built? They could probably have gotten all the actors to take a huge paycut as well as opposed to bringing them all back to do the second part at a later time.
    Since there's about four years between the two books, it will just give some time to Timothée Chalamet to mature a bit. The guy still looks like a teenager. Perfect for the young Paul Atreides, but a bit young for Muad'Dib.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

5+ Year Old Account
    Dune co-writer Eric Roth has already worked on a sequel for the Denis Villeneuve adaptation that would cover the second half of the book.

BY GRAEME GUTTMANN
    PUBLISHED APR 12, 2021

https://screenrant.com/dune-movie-20...tment-written/

I [wrote] a treatment to show the estate what we could do with the second half, but I’ve got to tell you that I think I've done as much as I can do. I also have other things I want to do. I'm 76 years old, and these things obviously take a long time to do. And so I have a few others I'm excited about. And hopefully people love Dune so much that they do want to have a second part, and I'm sure Denis would do amazing version of that.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Since there's about four years between the two books, it will just give some time to Timothée Chalamet to mature a bit. The guy still looks like a teenager. Perfect for the young Paul Atreides, but a bit young for Muad'Dib.
    We aren't talking about a gap between the first and second book - as the first and second movie.

We're talking about the FIRST BOOK (not 2nd book), divided over two movies. All the events in the first book happen together. But they won't in the movie coming out this year (next year...whenever! lol). The movie that's being made right now covers half of the first book. And that's *all* it covers. And right now, there is no promise from the production studio that there will ever be a 2nd movie about the REST of the FIRST book.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

Quote Originally Posted by imabanana View Post
    https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/statu...41857400565760

First Blade Runner, now Dune. If he doesn't screw up these two he'll be like a new God-director of Sci-fi movies.
    Spicy.

/10chars
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Dune co-writer Eric Roth has already worked on a sequel for the Denis Villeneuve adaptation that would cover the second half of the book.

BY GRAEME GUTTMANN
    PUBLISHED APR 12, 2021

https://screenrant.com/dune-movie-20...tment-written/

I [wrote] a treatment to show the estate what we could do with the second half, but I’ve got to tell you that I think I've done as much as I can do. I also have other things I want to do. I'm 76 years old, and these things obviously take a long time to do. And so I have a few others I'm excited about. And hopefully people love Dune so much that they do want to have a second part, and I'm sure Denis would do amazing version of that.
    Yes, he's written the "treatment" - outline? Loose story I guess? (that may have been the article I read where I first learned they weren't doing the book in a single movie). So we do have at least the bare bones of what *this* Movie's sequel would be like.

But nothing of a commitment, otherwise, by the studio to do that 'treatment' - or anything else for that matter.

Which is what makes me bummed and not-so-excited to see *only* the first half of the first book in this movie.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    We aren't talking about a gap between the first and second book - as the first and second movie.

We're talking about the FIRST BOOK (not 2nd book), divided over two movies. All the events in the first book happen together. But they won't in the movie coming out this year (next year...whenever! lol). The movie that's being made right now covers half of the first book. And that's *all* it covers. And right now, there is no promise from the production studio that there will ever be a 2nd movie about the REST of the FIRST book.
    From what I get, the first movie will end with the Harkonnen/Corrino attack on Arrakis and Paul and Jessica finding shelter with the Fremen. That's what all the synopsis I read say. That's basically the first tome of the novel. In IMDb, some actors were cast as Sardaukar, and you only see those in the last part of the first tome of Dune. The second movie will cover the second tome and we'll be introduced to Feyd, Alia, Mother Ramallo, the Emperor and Irullan, who have not been cast yet. Brian Herbert said that the script covers about half the novel. So that means that more or less of the first tome will be covered. When we leave Paul at the end of the first tome, he is about 15 years old. The second tome begins with a gap of several years, and the Harkonnen have already been facing several hit-and-run attacks from the Fremen lead by a certain Muad'Dib for some time. So having several years between the shooting of the first and second movies is not a big problem. With Chalamet's baby face, they could wait ten years and he would still be good for the part...

Anyhow, I have no doubt that the rest of the story will be covered. There's only one Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings... They wouldn't want to repeat that. What's the point in investing only in the first part of a movie ending with the hero's defeat?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I’d have a lot of doubt considering this movie isn’t sure to net a profit.
    Then why even finance the first?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Because they weren’t psychics who expected covid? And then it’s being dropped in October... honestly, it’s got a bit of an uphill battle. I’ll be watching on HBO Max probably.
    We should tie you up and leave you in the desert for the sandworms...

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Then why even finance the first?
    Its a good question. But you'll have to ask the company to know why. But that's exactly what they've done.

They have made no commitments, at all, to the director et. al. that the 2nd movie of the 1st book will be financed. They are (reportedly anyway) waiting to see IF this first movie makes enough money to justify that.

Which will of course also be somewhat dependent on whether it even gets a theater release; because if it goes straight to streaming I doubt it will make that money mark.

I mean I hope it does go full theater release and that theaters ARE FULLY open to benefit the release that way so that we CAN get the rest of the @$@! first book.

But right now, until we get more theaters consistently open world wide, we can't know whether they movie will do 'good enough' to get that 2nd half.

And IMO, unfortunately, IF it gets more 'public knowledge' that this is only 1/2 the story with no word on the 2nd half of the story being released - I see that goal getting further away. Because tons of general public people WILL Just "wait for streaming" or not even bother to watch once they find out its only half the story. Even if that half is a complete story, it will turn other people off from spending the money. Which will make the $$ goal for the 2nd movie further and further away - cycle continues.

Just sucks. I was *shocked* when I read that indeed this is the plan (or lack thereof) the movie studio has; but it is currently their plan.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

TBH this should have just been a high-budget TV series. There is so much stuff in Dune it's tough to get that into a single movie.

But we'll see I guess. Their whole strategy of "stay tuned!" might work, or it might backfire horribly.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    TBH this should have just been a high-budget TV series. There is so much stuff in Dune it's tough to get that into a single movie.

But we'll see I guess. Their whole strategy of "stay tuned!" might work, or it might backfire horribly.
    I would love to see DUNE get a whole tv series (done right obviously) - then yes, we could actually get past the first book to the really good galaxy lore stuff!

Maybe one day. A scifi girl can dream... =D
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post

they were going to do a tv show, but it was put on hold until after the movie(s)...I haven't seen any news of it since 2019...
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...Bene-Gesserit)