Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I like Mads Mikkelsen but he's probably contractually obligated not to talk shit about it before it begins production.

I'm not going to worry about it. IJ4 was a bit of a train wreck partly saved by Karen Allen and Cate Blanchett. I'll walk into it with low expectations and hopefully walk out with a smile.
    More like, what idiot would ever sign on for a movie and start trash talking it the first thing they do. Doesn't matter if it's the greatest actor in the world, no one would ever hire him again. Having that said, IMO Mads have a pretty good track record now with the movies he's in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
    4 wasnt very good and I am worried 5 will be worse so if it is on par it'll be everything I hoped for--no further decline.

Dropping "lol indie is older now" jokes would go a long way too though. 4 wasn't completely irredeemable, it had some good moments.
    Idd 4 had some good moments. I would even say if it was some other IP it would have been seen as a decent movie. Just didn't work with the IJ franchise with it's high bar.

But I do think this one will be good. George isn't writing it now. You can do your own research but Frank Darabont were supposed to write the 4th movie. He had even a script for it that Speilberg really liked. But in the end George said no, wrote his own script and the rest is history. George has a great mind and creativity, but damn he's bad at writing and directing.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Getting tired of seeing guys playing action heroes in movies when they’re passed retirement age. Just get a younger actor and start new.
    To be fair he's a archeology professor not an action hero.

His role in all of the movies have included him doing numerous stunts and action scenes. Indy is very much an action hero even if his day job is a professor.

The dude is 78 years old... it’s time to move on and pass the torch whip.
    mads isnt 78. Plus hes got that old timey european gruff thing going on.

Much more believable than Liam Neeson needing 4 edits to jump a fence in Taken

Harrison Ford is.

He’s attached to this movie, correct? He said it had to be Marvel big and that they wanted to send him (Indy) off the right way.
    I would assume it would be a passing of the torch move.

Indiana is harrisons baby and he has much more love for the character than he does for Han Solo.

I mean originally wasnt the plan to pass the mantle onto Shia Labeouf before his meltdown and run in with police/being weird.

So maybe theyre looking at not such a big drop off in age because he is a professor. But I cant really see Mads being the lead for such a big franchise anyway. Hes always been given villain or support roles for the big big films

At this point nostalgia is one of the things I love about Indiana Jones. A franchise from a different era of action movies, literally nothing new has any chance of measuring up to ol' Harrison Ford Indiana Jones. I can't even imagine current hollywood being able to replicate the character.

I think any new IJ movie can be, at best, a surprise hit like Nicolas Cage's National Treasure. But it's more likely to be closer to the recent Tomb Raider movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    No one asked for this dogshit. Hollywood is completely devoid of creativity and is just a woke circlejerk.

The golden era of cinema is gone. The acting, humour, nuance and themes are all gone now. I still watch the trilogy whenever it is on tv because they are just incredibly fun adventure movies with great heroes and villans.
    It's funny, but there's a book published in 1998...23 years ago now called Story: Style, Structure, Substance, and the Principles of Screenwriting by Robert McKee that actually mentions the decline in quality movies. Even back then this guy was saying that movies are getting worse because writers are getting worse, with too many people trying to shortcut their way into stories and skipping formal study of fundamentals.

I really don't understand why they wouldn't just do an Indy 5 with some other actor in his 40's and have it take place in the 1950's. Harrison Ford was too old in the last one much less 10 years later when he's nearly 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    I really don't understand why they wouldn't just do an Indy 5 with some other actor in his 40's and have it take place in the 1950's. Harrison Ford was too old in the last one much less 10 years later when he's nearly 80.
    It's too great a risk for an expensive film like this. If your toxic fanbase (they all are toxic anymore) rebels you'll be lucky to break even at the B.O. and make at least some profit down stream even if its a decent film. If it's bad........blood bath.

Just retire the character and be done with it. Come up with a new franchise. Ford is Indy, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Idd 4 had some good moments. I would even say if it was some other IP it would have been seen as a decent movie. Just didn't work with the IJ franchise with it's high bar.

But I do think this one will be good. George isn't writing it now. You can do your own research but Frank Darabont were supposed to write the 4th movie. He had even a script for it that Speilberg really liked. But in the end George said no, wrote his own script and the rest is history. George has a great mind and creativity, but damn he's bad at writing and directing.
    The CGI really felt over the top and didn't fit well with the franchise; the cinematography made Indiana Jones. Watching Crystal Skull felt like watching a Marvel or Transformers movie, personally, I found it difficult to suspend disbelief to fully enjoy the movie (I was complete disinterested after the after jungle chase scene).

well maybe this time they will pass the whip and hat off to someone new to keep the IP alive
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    It's too great a risk for an expensive film like this. If your toxic fanbase (they all are toxic anymore) rebels you'll be lucky to break even at the B.O. and make at least some profit down stream even if its a decent film. If it's bad........blood bath.
    I think people overestimate how much a "rebellious fanbase" will sink an actually good movie, especially if it's from a beloved franchise.

Hardcore starwars nerds hated the last jedi. Movie was still a critical success and made over a billion dollars.

Most people don't care about online fan drama and just go to see movies they know the franchise of or if they hear it's good.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2021-05-09 at 02:41 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Ya but if fans like the new guy then you got a whole new franchise on your hands. I think its a chance worth taking. I don't think an Indiana Jones movie would have to be that expensive to make either. Unless they tried to get a bunch of established stars to make it with. The lukewarm reception of the new Han Solo may play into it.

I feel like the IP is dead without Harrison ford but at the same time he's just too old to give us the Indiana Jones we want.

I like the hat and the whip and John Williams's theme as much as the next guy, but with Harrison Ford being as ancient as he is they could just as well make an original movie with the same themes. It's a story about an archeologist/treasure hunter, other IPs such as National Treasure, Uncharted, even Da Vinci Code, have successfully portrayed that.

Though someone mentioned Chris Pratt. I can totally get behind him playing young Indy or Indy's son.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Pfft... We'll be watching Tom Cruise in another month.

5+ Year Old Account
    Indiana Jones 5 set photos confirm another Marvel star has joined the cast.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3...el-toby-jones/
    BY AMY WEST 14/06/2021

Indiana Jones 5 is officially in production, and we're already starting to see new teasers about what's in store for the upcoming sequel from the film's set.

Back in April, it was announced that Doctor Strange star Mads Mikkelsen would be appearing opposite Harrison Ford in the new film, and now it seems as if the film has added another Marvel actor into the mix...

In new set photos taken as the cast and crew were shooting in Scotland, Ford – who's back as the titular fedora-sporting, bullwhip-using adventurer – was seen sharing a scene with Captain America: The First Avenger's Toby Jones.

harrison ford and toby jones walk through grass at leaderfoot, melrose, scottish borders filming for indiana jones

This suggests that Toby Jones has now joined Harrison Ford and Mads Mikkelsen in the film's cast, which will also see them star opposite Black Panther's Shaunette Renée Wilson, King Kong's Thomas Kretschmann, The Predator's Boyd Holbrook and Fleabag's Phoebe Waller-Bridge when the film is released in July 2022.

As it stands, little is known about the franchise's eagerly anticipated fifth instalment, but we do know that the final script was written by Jez Butterworth, John-Henry Butterworth and James Mangold (Le Mans '66), with Mangold set to direct the film too.

It is also common knowledge that it'll follow the events of 2008 film Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, while it has been rumoured that the flick will be set in the 60s, almost a decade after its predecessor.

harrison ford and toby jones walk through grass at leaderfoot, melrose, scottish borders filming for indiana jones

If you look closely at the new behind-the-scenes snaps, it also looks as if 78-year-old Ford has a bunch of black dots on his face, suggesting that the film could be set to apply some kind of de-ageing technology to make Indy look younger in this scene.

Of course, that's all just speculation on our part (for now), so we'll have to wait and see what adventure is waiting for Indiana next.

5+ Year Old Account
    Harrison Ford suffers injury on the sets of Indiana Jones 5.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/li...jones-5-274273
    Jun 26, 2021 07:42 AM (IST)

Hollywood star Harrison Ford, who will reprise the role of the iconic archaeologist in Indiana Jones 5, sustained a shoulder injury on the sets of film, while he was rehearsing a fight scene. Confirming the reports, Disney’s spokesperson in a statement said, “In the course of rehearsing for a fight scene, Harrison Ford sustained an injury involving his shoulder. Production will continue while the appropriate course of treatment is evaluated, and the filming schedule will be reconfigured as needed in the coming weeks.”

The actor has taken a break from the shoot till he is recovers fully.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Honest question: Do you actually think that you're being funny or clever?
    I don't get it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Harrison Ford Will Be De-Aged to Fight Nazis in ‘Indy 5’

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...-5-1235267513/
    BY JAMES HIBBERD - NOVEMBER 21, 2022 12:53PM

“It’s not the years, it’s the mileage” moaned a weary Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones in 1981’s Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Four decades later, there have been a lot more years, and a lot of mileage, on 80-year-old Ford.

So for the upcoming fifth Indiana Jones film director James Mangold (who took over helming the franchise from Steven Spielberg) has concocted a sequence where viewers will be able to experience Ford/Indy back in his prime.

According to an upcoming issue of Empire, the film’s opening will be set in 1944 – about eight years after the events in Raiders took place. De-aging technology will have Ford going up against Nazis in a castle. Old footage of the actor was utilized to help create the illusion, along with the actor’s original jacket from Raiders.

De-aging technology so far has been notoriously less-than believable, with actors ranging from Robert De Niro in The Irishman to Kurt Russell in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 often appearing like stiff Polar Express versions of themselves.

But Ford insists the new film, which hasn’t yet revealed its title, successfully pulls off a retro Indy. “This is the first time I’ve seen [the technology] where I believe it,” the actor said. “It’s a little spooky. I don’t think I even want to know how it works, but it works.”

After the sequence, the film’s narrative will leap forward to 1969 – using Ford as his current self – and that’s when the bulk of the action takes place.

Mangold explains he wanted “the chance to dive into this kind of full-on George [Lucas]-and-Steven [Spielberg] old picture and give the audience an adrenaline blast. So that the audience doesn’t experience the change between the ’40s and ’60s as an intellectual conceit, but literally experiences the buccaneering spirit of those early days.”

Their hope, producer Kathleen Kennedy added, was that audiences would watch the opening and think, “‘Oh my God, they just found footage.'”

Indy 5 will arrive a full 15 years after the last Indiana Jones film, The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which many fans and critics considered to be a disappointment. Previously, Ford’s co-star in the film, Mads Mikkelsen, told The Hollywood Reporter that Indy 5 is “going heavily back to the first and second film and getting that original feel, the original Indy, something dense and epic” and told an anecdote about Ford’s stamina.

“[Ford]s an insanely powerful person,” Mikkelsen says. “Not just as an actor, but physically. I remember the first day we were shooting, it was a night shoot, then we stopped at 5 a.m. — and then he got on his mountain bike and went biking for 50 kilometers [31 miles]. Harrison is a monster of a man, a very nice monster.”

Indy 5 will be released in theaters June 30, 2023.

- - - Updated - - -

Phoebe Waller-Bridge Revealed To Play Indy’s Goddaughter in 'Indiana Jones 5'

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/phoe...091707241.html
    Joyce Li - Tue, November 22, 2022 at 4:17 AM

In an exclusive image to Empire, Disney has given a first look at Phoebe Waller-Bridge's character in next Indiana Jones 5 film.

While fans will have to wait until next year to watch the upcoming installment that sees Harrison Ford reprise his role as Indy one last time, the new first look image give fans a glimpse of Waller-Bridge's character, Helena. It has been confirmed by Empire that Waller-Bridge's character is indeed Indy's goddaughter. The new image sees the pair embarking on a new adventure. While there is no additional context provided with the image, it seems as if Helena has the same affinity for adventure as her godfather. Waller-Bridge tells Empire about the character, "She's a mystery and a wonder," keeping all other details under wraps. Director James Mangold has also said that Helen is "slippery, charming, the girl next door, a grifter."

the cynic in me...

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why they don't make a new protagonist mentored by him, shift away a bit the focus from him, to set up another guy to take up the franchise