Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    The problem with Doom is movie goers have already been introduced to two garbage versions of him. I think they could still pull it off but I don’t know if he would have support from the executives
    I doubt movie-goers will really care/ remember, honestly. And it's not like a lot of people saw Fant4stic anyway, right? :-p

It does depend on his introduction though, if he's just a guy in armor, it'll fall flat.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

The problem with Doom is movie goers have already been introduced to two garbage versions of him. I think they could still pull it off but I don’t know if he would have support from the executives
    Look at Venom's depiction in Spider-Man 3. It was universally despised... yet people still went to see Tom Hardy take a crack at it. And that was succesful enough to warrant a sequel. Plus, like 50% of the X-Men movies are god awful and 50% of the ones that are left are just kind of meh. But it's the good ones that give you hope that maybe the next one will be good too.

Neil Gaiman's run on The Eternals was pretty good with an interesting story.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    I didn't like the eternals, at all, outside Angelina they all seem bad, i also didn't like much their story, per see, but i hope it is good
    I agree on the concept of them but I have to think that the reason that Feige and co decided to bring them out is because their backstory will tie into something much bigger and flesh out the mcu universe in the process. Which will ultimately cross over into the next Avengers like movie.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    I agree on the concept of them but I have to think that the reason that Feige and co decided to bring them out is because their backstory will tie into something much bigger and flesh out the mcu universe in the process. Which will ultimately cross over into the next Avengers like movie.
    what i don't like more is the massive change from the comics, there is even gender bender from what i seen, i don't know, i think maybe i read a rly old comic and they just got rebooted or retconed, or something. the fres memorie i have from then is from world war hulk and they were jerks there, so worldbreaker fuck then up;

But also, didn't like much the actors, maybe with a full clip i change my mind

In the comics, I've always seen the Eternals as in a niche in the Marvel universe, with brief flings in several comics, notably the Avengers (Gilgamesh), Thor (Odin fight with Celestials) and the FF (Sersei)
    General storyline is a hit or miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    what i don't like more is the massive change from the comics, there is even gender bender from what i seen, i don't know, i think maybe i read a rly old comic and they just got rebooted or retconed, or something. the fres memorie i have from then is from world war hulk and they were jerks there, so worldbreaker fuck then up;

But also, didn't like much the actors, maybe with a full clip i change my mind
    There's lots of massive changes from the comics in the MCU.

It's almost like it's a complete separate universe with it's own canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I doubt movie-goers will really care/ remember, honestly. And it's not like a lot of people saw Fant4stic anyway, right? :-p

It does depend on his introduction though, if he's just a guy in armor, it'll fall flat.
    It's not so much how the movie goers will react, its the perception of how they will react.

Fantastic four is super boring.

Super scientist has been done by how many heroes now. And their powers are super basic with very little you can do with their powers that is actually interesting.

The boys managed to make stretchy body parts a fun gag for sex jokes but thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    The boys managed to make stretchy body parts a fun gag for sex jokes but thats about it.
    The "Incredibles" Elastigirl was done well.

10+ Year Old Account
    And Tom Holland's run as Spider-man has been so ruined by the two previous incarnations?

Hell, Christian Bale's Batman was doomed to be awful coming on the heels of Val Kilmer and Clooney's takes?

If anything, doing Doom badly twice (and the Fantastic Four) has laid the groundwork for Marvel to roll up their sleeves and present the audience with a worthwhile treatment; the audience knows how it can be fucked up, and it'll make Marvel's success shine even brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The "Incredibles" Elastigirl was done well.
    thats true but you can get away with more with animation

real action it just looks weird

10+ Year Old Account
    Fantastic four is super boring.

Super scientist has been done by how many heroes now. And their powers are super basic with very little you can do with their powers that is actually interesting.

The interesting parts of Marvel characters is pretty much never their powers. It's the person using them.

That's why they've managed to do characters like X-23 where they take a significantly different person with much the same powerset (hell, she's a genderbent clone of Logan) and it's a new take. It's why War Machine and Iron Man play differently, even though both suits are literally Stark suits and the same base tech.

The advantage of "basic" powers is that the characters have a shiny hammer, say. Not every problem, however, is a nail. How does Sue deal with being confronted by an enormous powerhouse? How does The Thing deal with a social dilemma?

It also means they have obvious flaws to play off of, in some cases. The Thing is a monster who's lost his humanity. Johnny Storm is way too arrogant and impulsive. I'm skipping past Sue and Reed because Sue's usual issue way back was "oh I'm a woman and have been overlooked". Kind of shitty, and she's due a revamp to make her something special. And Reed, Reed just looks at literally any problem as sciences the shit out of it. His stretching powers are practically incidental; his most impactful "power" is his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The interesting parts of Marvel characters is pretty much never their powers. It's the person using them.

That's why they've managed to do characters like X-23 where they take a significantly different person with much the same powerset (hell, she's a genderbent clone of Logan) and it's a new take. It's why War Machine and Iron Man play differently, even though both suits are literally Stark suits and the same base tech.

The advantage of "basic" powers is that the characters have a shiny hammer, say. Not every problem, however, is a nail. How does Sue deal with being confronted by an enormous powerhouse? How does The Thing deal with a social dilemma?

It also means they have obvious flaws to play off of, in some cases. The Thing is a monster who's lost his humanity. Johnny Storm is way too arrogant and impulsive. I'm skipping past Sue and Reed because Sue's usual issue way back was "oh I'm a woman and have been overlooked". Kind of shitty, and she's due a revamp to make her something special. And Reed, Reed just looks at literally any problem as sciences the shit out of it. His stretching powers are practically incidental; his most impactful "power" is his mind.
    Funny you mention Ironman because Reed sounds like Ironman without the personality and spongebob references.

And the characters you mention that are same powerset but different like warmachine and x-23 are side characters and are overlooked to their counterparts so they never get the screen time or presence to sell the same emotional connection and just seem to be there to fill out a roster and have more famous actors for the press junctions in the case of warmachine unless we get a warmachine and rocket spin off tv show
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2021-05-08 at 02:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny you mention Ironman because Reed sounds like Ironman without the personality and spongebob references.
    I mean, I'm pretty sure the folks at Marvel are gonna give us a Reed Richards who's a little different and more up-to-date. They made Thor a fun guy, even if it took a couple shots to figure out how.

I mean, I'm pretty sure the folks at Marvel are gonna give us a Reed Richards who's a little different and more up-to-date. They made Thor a fun guy, even if it took a couple shots to figure out how.
    you're also forgetting spider-man, black panther lady that made bruce banner look dumb, bruce banner also btw. Who else. I mean damn, thats gonna be quite a re-invent to mix up the "genius scientist" angle

10+ Year Old Account
    you're also forgetting spider-man, black panther lady that made bruce banner look dumb, bruce banner also btw. Who else. I mean damn, thats gonna be quite a re-invent to mix up the "genius scientist" angle
    What am I "forgetting"?

Parker's a genius, but he's still a kid so far; it's gonna be years before he can compete in the big leagues, science-wise.

Suri is, yes, also a genius engineer, but she was operating off Wakanda's already-superior technology; there's no real suggestion she's the smartest one around.

Banner's a genius when it comes to gamma stuff, but he's not smarter than Reed.

They've really dropped Hank Pym down in scale in the MCU, but in the comics, Pym, Richards, and Stark were the prime triumvirate for science stuff, and everyone else was an also-ran, if we're considering the heroes alone (otherwise, we're gonna talk about people like Doom, who's nearly Reed's equal in science, Stark's near-equal in engineering, and Strange's near-equal in magic).

Sure, mad scientists figure prominently in a genre where "mad scientist" is the source of, like, 30% of everyone's powers. Not sure why that's surprising. None of the above characters are just treated as "smart scientist", though, and they all stand apart from each other in various ways.

And Tom Holland's run as Spider-man has been so ruined by the two previous incarnations?

Hell, Christian Bale's Batman was doomed to be awful coming on the heels of Val Kilmer and Clooney's takes?

If anything, doing Doom badly twice (and the Fantastic Four) has laid the groundwork for Marvel to roll up their sleeves and present the audience with a worthwhile treatment; the audience knows how it can be fucked up, and it'll make Marvel's success shine even brighter.
    Both Toby McGuire and Andrew Garfield were received better than any live action doom. McGuire’s Spider-Man 2 is considered a good movie, and there are a lot of people that consider Garfield better than Tom Holland (I still prefer Holland).

Kilmer’s Batman still beat out keaton’s in the box office.

These are both really bad comparisons.

How does Sue deal with being confronted by an enormous powerhouse?
    Well, like this:

Don't be sleepin' on Susan Storm :P

And the characters you mention that are same powerset but different like warmachine and x-23 are side characters and are overlooked to their counterparts so they never get the screen time or presence to sell the same emotional connection and just seem to be there to fill out a roster and have more famous actors for the press junctions in the case of warmachine unless we get a warmachine and rocket spin off tv show
    And you're just another person posting on the internet. Might as well just be a clone of me, but you use a different avatar.

I mean, there are only 3 different stories after all, right? Probably only 2 different characters.