Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

ERCOT tells Texans to conserve electricity through Friday.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/texan...b0e25921b6ccdd

The operator of Texas’ main power grid has asked residents to conserve power until the end of the week, citing “tight grid conditions” amid potential record demand.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas said in a statement that the state’s power grid ― which operates separately from the rest of the country ― is facing a number of power plant outages combined with heightened electricity use.

Generator owners have reported about 11,000 megawatts of forced outage for repairs, according to ERCOT. Of that number, about 8,000 megawatts are thermal; the rest are intermittent resources. A typical range of thermal generation outages on hot summer days is about 3,600 megawatts. One megawatt normally powers about 200 homes on a summer day, meaning the offline energy generation is enough to power 2.2 million homes on a hot summer day.

ERCOT’s peak June energy demand record was 69,123 megawatts on June 27, 2018. The peak demand on Monday is expected to exceed 73,000 megawatts.
    Here we go again...

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Wonder if Texans are going to finally realize that their fucking grid SUCKS, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Wonder if Texans are going to finally realize that their fucking grid SUCKS, yet.
    nah they will deny it and blame it on solar again.

or Mexicans, that seems to be their go to. Guess they want to spend more on a new state wall then fixing their real problems like education and energy.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

But will Ted Cruz flee the state again if he has to turn off his AC, and use his under-age daughters as an excuse for his missing spine/testicles?

And will he do it while wearing a Texas flag mask and wearing Patagonia? These are the really important questions here.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post

or Mexicans, that seems to be their go to. Guess they want to spend more on a new state wall then fixing their real problems like education and energy.
    If Texans fixed their education, the state would flip blue, and the GQP would be out of power (lol) there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    But will Ted Cruz flee the state again if he has to turn off his AC, and use his under-age daughters as an excuse for his missing spine/testicles?

And will he do it while wearing a Texas flag mask and wearing Patagonia? These are the really important questions here.
    You sure have a knack for getting to the heart of the matter. I just pray that his daughters will stay cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You sure have a knack for getting to the heart of the matter. I just pray that his daughters will stay cool.
    I don't think they can go to Mexico this time, I hear it's pretty hot down there. Can they travel to Canada? Or maybe keep it domestic with a trip to Alaska? He can say he's visiting his colleagues up there, nothing weird about a Senator fleeing his state in a crisis rather than using his office, resources, and connections to help his constituents survive extreme weather events.

Is Greenland still for sale? He might be able to say he's going there to evaluate the property for a bid!

10+ Year Old Account
    The dozens of Texans I follow all know better. Sure they keep electing some really dangerous people into power, but you have to remember that it is still a very purple place in terms of political spectrum.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish we had a recall system. Fuck Abbot, Patrick, Cruz, and our indicted AG.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    The dozens of Texans I follow all know better. Sure they keep electing some really dangerous people into power, but you have to remember that it is still a very purple place in terms of political spectrum.
    and would be blue except the GQP keeps needing to break the law to stay in power.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I wish we had a recall system. Fuck Abbot, Patrick, Cruz, and our indicted AG.
    ROFL - was he indicted? That's fucking awesome. At least he delivered the illegal results for Trump in 2020. I'm sure they'll take good care of him.

10+ Year Old Account
    and would be blue except the GQP keeps needing to break the law to stay in power.

- - - Updated - - -

ROFL - was he indicted? That's fucking awesome. At least he delivered the illegal results for Trump in 2020. I'm sure they'll take good care of him.
    yeah he was. 5 fucking years ago.

power going out in the heat is going to be worse than going out in the cold, because it is a lot harder to cool down. SO I really hope the power stays on :s

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    yeah he was. 5 fucking years ago.

power going out in the heat is going to be worse than going out in the cold, because it is a lot harder to cool down. SO I really hope the power stays on :s
    Did anything come of it? Oh, wait - nvm, this is the GQP in Texas. Of course nothing came of it.

Yeah - at some point you without artificial means, you can't cool off. But you can always get some trees and build a fire if it gets REALLY cold without power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did anything come of it? Oh, wait - nvm, this is the GQP in Texas. Of course nothing came of it.

Yeah - at some point you without artificial means, you can't cool off. But you can always get some trees and build a fire if it gets REALLY cold without power.
    Not yet. Still fighting over where to hold the trial lol.

Not to mention dehydrating so much faster in the heat due to sweating.

I'm certain a particular libertarian will blame California.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not yet. Still fighting over where to hold the trial lol.

Not to mention dehydrating so much faster in the heat due to sweating.
    So he's still the Attorney General while they figure out the venue for the trial? Why am I not surprised. Every day Canada looks more and more enticing....

Good point. And once you tip over it's a tough road out of dehydration, especially if you're still in the same circumstances that brought it on.

I don't think they can go to Mexico this time, I hear it's pretty hot down there. Can they travel to Canada? Or maybe keep it domestic with a trip to Alaska? He can say he's visiting his colleagues up there, nothing weird about a Senator fleeing his state in a crisis rather than using his office, resources, and connections to help his constituents survive extreme weather events.

Is Greenland still for sale? He might be able to say he's going there to evaluate the property for a bid!
    He can vacation in San Francisco. It is sunny with a high of 73F. San Diego is not bad either. Not quite as cool as SF but mid to high 70s are much better than 95+.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    He can vacation in San Francisco.
    Whoa now, I don't think he'd enter enemy territory that deep. Also because I'm pretty sure if he ever shows his face there it'll take less than an hour for word to spread and him to have a nice crowd of protesters following him around everywhere.

Also also because I don't want to be within 100 miles of him if I can avoid it. Ever.

Whoa now, I don't think he'd enter enemy territory that deep. Also because I'm pretty sure if he ever shows his face there it'll take less than an hour for word to spread and him to have a nice crowd of protesters following him around everywhere.

Also also because I don't want to be within 100 miles of him if I can avoid it. Ever.
    Ted Cruz will knock on your door and ask you to vote for him because he is running for Crazy Nancy's seat.

"'Murica!"
    "Freedom!"
    "Big Green just wants your money!"

Take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    They are too busy going after the gays and stopping colored folks to vote to worry about a little matter like electricity.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like being able to ensure there's enough power for predictable, forecastable demand is, like, the sole fucking job these companies have.

If their decisions lead to systemic failures that contribute to illness and death among Texans, everyone responsible in their chain of command should be up on criminal negligence charges and facing lawsuits in the (likely) hundreds-of-millions-to-billions in compensatory damages, before we even get to punitive, paid out as a class action to the families of those who inevitably die and to any who survived but suffered illness.

If that drives them bankrupt, so fuckin' be it. They're shit and they're doing a shit job and that's how the market works. Get fucked and stop killing people because it's better for your profit margins. You psychopathic greedy murderous fucks.