Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I find it amusing that the more TX tried to be different from CA, the more TX resembled CA.

We get those kind of warnings in CA also. Just not in June when summer hadn't even started yet. We got those around August and September.

We definitely didn't get those warnings when the weather was in the balmy 95s. We were generally well into three digits temperature before we received those kind of warnings. Or three digits temperature in combination with wild fires.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-06-15 at 05:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    nah they will deny it and blame it on solar again.

or Mexicans, that seems to be their go to. Guess they want to spend more on a new state wall then fixing their real problems like education and energy.
    How can they blame it on Solar, wouldn't solar actually be helpful to them right about now. I would think systems would be selling like hotcakes
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    How can they blame it on Solar, wouldn't solar actually be helpful to them right about now. I would think systems would be selling like hotcakes
    He might have ment wind. That's what they blamed last time.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just a distraction. Texas has more important things to worry about like voter suppression, banning abortion, and allowing everyone to carry a gun. You know the real freedoms.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    This is just a distraction. Texas has more important things to worry about like voter suppression, banning abortion, and allowing everyone to carry a gun. You know the real freedoms.
    There have been some very spot-on memes coming out of the voter suppression in the 2nd amendment states. Something like "people in [insert red state] require and ID to vote but not an ID to buy a gun".

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I wish we had a recall system. Fuck Abbot, Patrick, Cruz, and our indicted AG.
    You do - it's called moving those lazy asses in the streets and protesting. Couple of million should be enough to force someone to resign, even the most stubborn ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

How likely is it that power goes out?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I wish we had a recall system. Fuck Abbot, Patrick, Cruz, and our indicted AG.
    Abbott especially is a tool

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Unless something unforeseen occurred, not likely.

According to ERCOT current demand is at 69,500 MW with capacity at around 72,500 MW. So they still have 3,000 MW in reserve. That put their energy reserve at less than 5%. Which is cutting it really close.

It is interesting to compare TX and CA energy consumption. According to ISO, current demand in CA is 33,129 MW and anticipated to peak around 39,205 MW between 4 - 6 pm when everybody come home and turn on their AC at the same time. Capacity is at 52,543 MW. Which put CA reserve at around 25%.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    It is interesting to compare TX and CA energy consumption. According to ISO, current demand in CA is 33,129 MW and anticipated to peak around 39,205 MW between 4 - 6 pm when everybody came home and turned on their AC at the same time. Capacity is at 52,543 MW. Which put CA reserve at around 25%.
    I'd be real curious as to why CA's energy consumption is so much lower than TX. I know we likely have some cooler areas that are drawing less power, but I'd figure with a similar number of major cities, similar populations, and similarly hot weather (LA has an energy warning for unseasonably hot weather that's something like 25F above the average for this time of year). Kinda wild to see their demand at double the demand in CA >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    He might have ment wind. That's what they blamed last time.
    wait are you trying to place logic into the minds of texan republican/Q'ers??

Like i said they will try to blame solar and based on the post at DMail and several other conservative sites they did in fact blame solar and other renewables en mass
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'd be real curious as to why CA's energy consumption is so much lower than TX. I know we likely have some cooler areas that are drawing less power, but I'd figure with a similar number of major cities, similar populations, and similarly hot weather (LA has an energy warning for unseasonably hot weather that's something like 25F above the average for this time of year). Kinda wild to see their demand at double the demand in CA >.>
    The houses and buildings in CA are a lot more energy efficient. Energy conservation is a foreign word in TX. Unless you are in Austin. Solar & geothermal are big in Austin.

The houses and buildings in CA are a lot more energy efficient. Energy conservation is a foreign word in TX. Unless you are in Austin. Solar & geothermal are big in Austin.
    I imagine CA being a bit more liberal and likely to conserve is a factor, but the magnitude of the difference is absolutely astounding to me. I know CA likely has stronger building codes when it comes to homes and energy efficiency, but we've got huge amounts of old, unrenovated homes in the state as well.

I'm actually kinda curious about this, will do some digging later to see if there are any studies on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://weather.com/maps/ustemperaturemap

Looks like it's consistently hotter over more area in TX at the moment. 90s across the board, compared to some places in the 60s-70s. And those places that are really hot in CA have less population to cool.

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Where? In California during the summer, 99.999%. Happens every year.

15+ Year Old Account
    The phrase self-inflicted keeps ringing in my ears.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post

Looks like it's consistently hotter over more area in TX at the moment. 90s across the board, compared to some places in the 60s-70s. And those places that are really hot in CA have less population to cool.
    Temperature is definitely a factor. "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" maybe an exaggeration, but it does have a kernel of truth in it. San Diego is only slightly warmer. Los Angeles is usually the warmest of the three.

On the other hand, I have done construction projects in CA and TX, and buildings and homes in CA are a lot more energy efficient than TX. Your standard subdivision homes in CA have the same energy rating as the top end custom homes in TX.

10+ Year Old Account
    Temperature is definitely a factor. "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" maybe an exaggeration, but it does have a kernel of truth in it. San Diego is only slightly warmer. Los Angeles is usually the warmest of the three.
    That may be true but a quick look at a population density map of California seems to indicate the most densely populated areas being areas that also get pretty damn hot.

It might be "cooler" near the beaches but you go 30 minutes inland basically anywhere in central/southern California and it's easily 105 there in the summer. Sacramento, Fresno, LA, and all their surrounding areas, all get really hot.

On the other hand, I have done construction projects in CA and TX, and buildings and homes in CA are a lot more energy efficient than TX. Your standard subdivision homes in CA have the same energy rating as the top end custom homes in TX.
    With California having a significantly larger population (~10.5 million more people than Texas) I'd wager that this is probably the more contributory factor.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2021-06-16 at 04:53 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were stricter regulations for that in CA. It's exactly the sort of thing Republicans like to gloat about when they act like there's some mass exodus out of the state.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

And warnings are going out, again, today in TX asking people "not to blast" AC in the heat, as it could lead to cascade failure across grids.

- - - Updated - - -

It wouldn't surprise me if there were stricter regulations for that in CA. It's exactly the sort of thing Republicans like to gloat about when they act like there's some mass exodus out of the state.
    Same - CA leads the nation in environmental friendly regulations. And the GQP had previously loved touting CA's "problems". Which clearly falls under "whoopsie-daisy" now. This is just the start of the hot season - it's not even fucking summer yet.