Thread: Euro 2020

Page 68 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    It’s a bit of both, right. Some will do it as sarcasm, some as hope, some as ‘We’re England and are born to win this’. Like any fan base, really. They’re not different to anyone else, really.
    I sincerely doubt anyone truly believes the latter before a tournament starts.

When you're in the semi finals and haven't conceded while the likes of France, Portugal and Belgium are out? Sure, but at the beginning? Pretty sure we all thought France were the favourites and most of the talk was about if we wanted to finish second in the group for an easier route, avoiding the 2nd place in the "group of death"
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    I sincerely doubt anyone truly believes the latter before a tournament starts.

When you're in the semi finals and haven't conceded while the likes of France, Portugal and Belgium are out? Sure, but at the beginning? Pretty sure we all thought France were the favourites and most of the talk was about if we wanted to finish second in the group for an easier route, avoiding the 2nd place in the "group of death"
    You need to visit London pubs. And it’s either naive or wilfully ignorant to wave off the fact that a fair few English fans are riled up by the media into thinking it’s our divine right to win every tournament. Not all. But a fair few. And it’s like ANY other major sport in ANY other country.
    Last edited by DingDongKing; 2021-07-05 at 08:47 AM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the "its coming home" mantra is all just banter really, in the past few years we've managed to build a squad of players that don't actually let us down at major tournaments the way past squads have, so it is refreshing and gives us a tiny bit of hope that we can actually achieve something. Not just that, but its a bloody good song too!

Its pure bants at this point. It became the same as the Liverpool "next year is our year". For a long long time the optimism of the scousers meant it was said wholeheartedly and they believed it. But after year upon year of disappointment and crushed dreams it slowly migrated to them saying it for a laugh. There was not real belief behind it. And then ironically it was their year

I don't know any English fans that think there's a god given right to win anything, especially as you'd have to be 65+ to even remember the last time we did.

I agree that there is not a belief that we have a god given right to win anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    ... but its a bloody good song too!
    This is true but you can't beat a bit of Barnsey!

You've got to hold and give but do it at the right time
    You can be slow or fast but you must get to the line

Grunt
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    Yeah the "its coming home" mantra is all just banter really, in the past few years we've managed to build a squad of players that don't actually let us down at major tournaments the way past squads have, so it is refreshing and gives us a tiny bit of hope that we can actually achieve something. Not just that, but its a bloody good song too!
    A lot of foreigners seem to think "it's coming home" is English arrogance, but if they actually listened to the song it's about how shit we have been for 30 years (55 years).

I always preferred World In Motion, much more upbeat.
    Last edited by Tykaine; 2021-07-05 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tykaine View Post
    A lot of foreigners seem to think "it's coming home" is English arrogance, but if they actually listened to the song it's about how shit we have been for 30 years (51 years).

I always preferred World In Motion, much more upbeat.
    We’ve been shit since 1966. And yeah, it’s like any sport. Tribalism will always contribute to people thinking the ‘other team’ is arrogant. It’s part of the entire schtick. There’s nothing that can change that. That said, every fan base for virtually anything - sports or other wise - has their share of deluded and arrogant fans. But it’s generally a small proportion, and not the majority. PS. I hate both songs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys, the three of us are all English. A lot of folk who drone the tune out use it as a rallying cry. Most of them wouldn't have a clue about the 1970s finals nor would they even know where the song came from. Because there's enough England 'fans' that come out of the woodwork every 2 years are just pub fiends who need a reason to get wandered. It's not something we need to defend. Everyone's allowed their bit of tribalism in tournaments.
    Like any football song I suppose, but it is what it is. A comedy song, written by a pair of actual comedians who had a football themed TV show, in a long tradition of football tournament songs, about a tournament being played at the home of football. It's probably the only one, Vindaloo aside, that isn't about how we're going to win it; it's about the experience of a fan of 30 55 years of hurt not stopping you dreaming. It's weird anyone should get riled up about it.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    The 'it's coming home' is a classic sense of English entitlement. It's all the fans have as of now. Would be good for them if they win. Bit of humility.
    I hope they lose, just so I don't have to spend the rest of my life hearing "1966 and 2021". Fuck, it's like they legally have to mention 1966 every time a tournament comes up. We get it, you won the world cup once. You don't hear Scotland bring up 1967 all the time : https://www.ufwc.co.uk/2007/01/ufwc-...scotland-1967/

10+ Year Old Account
    You need to visit London pubs. And it’s either naive or wilfully ignorant to wave off the fact that a fair few English fans are riled up by the media into thinking it’s our divine right to win every tournament. Not all. But a fair few. And it’s like ANY other major sport in ANY other country.
    Again, the fact you think that it's serious means you really miss the joke. Like Hypasonic said, it's the "this year is our year" meme for Liverpool fans.

Except the year it really was their year, and then they didn't know how to act over it. No one truly believes it's a divine right, it's just a symbol for eternal optimism, a welcome distraction from life, rather than the soul crushing reality that for the longest time, we were rather shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    I hope they lose, just so I don't have to spend the rest of my life hearing "1966 and 2021". Fuck, it's like they legally have to mention 1966 every time a tournament comes up. We get it, you won the world cup once. You don't hear Scotland bring up 1967 all the time : https://www.ufwc.co.uk/2007/01/ufwc-...scotland-1967/
    As if Scotland isn't already relishing the "But you couldn't beat us" line if England does win the whole thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Much rather have a song as banter than picking on a crying little girl.

Also Brych is the referee for the semi between Spain and Italy, that is an odd call they made guess we will see if he can manage that game better.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

As if Scotland isn't already relishing the "But you couldn't beat us" line if England does win the whole thing.
    I'm on about the media, not the fans itself. Banter between fans is all just fun and games. But the media is just a different beast.

Grunt
    5+ Year Old Account
    I hope they lose, just so I don't have to spend the rest of my life hearing "1966 and 2021".
    The only one here going on about 66 is you. Get over it!

Again, the fact you think that it's serious means you really miss the joke. Like Hypasonic said, it's the "this year is our year" meme for Liverpool fans.

Except the year it really was their year, and then they didn't know how to act over it. No one truly believes it's a divine right, it's just a symbol for eternal optimism, a welcome distraction from life, rather than the soul crushing reality that for the longest time, we were rather shit.
    Like I said, you’re either being naive or being wilfully ignorant about the notion that there is a portion - not all, as I’ve said ad infitum - that has their heads up way up their own backsides. And it’s not out of the ordinary. I’m not getting into the politics of it, but we know full well that there is a portion of the Britain Great Nation brigade that behave this way. It’s nothing for anyone to get riled up about though, which is the point I’m making.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm on about the media, not the fans itself. Banter between fans is all just fun and games. But the media is just a different beast.
    The media has been jingoistic shit for the longest time, and isn't representative of the fans, or the nation as a whole.

It's largely some old Australian bloke getting his rocks off on splitting the country in half and making massive cash from it.

Also, that whole situation with the German girl has gone from bad, to worse, to now downright ugly and bizarre. I'm expecting it to get brought up here at some point, so I'll politely request people focus maybe more on the toxicity of a handful of fans and less about last night's revelations.

The media has been jingoistic shit for the longest time, and isn't representative of the fans, or the nation as a whole.

It's largely some old Australian bloke getting his rocks off on splitting the country in half and making massive cash from it.

Also, that whole situation with the German girl has gone from bad, to worse, to now downright ugly and bizarre. I'm expecting it to get brought up here at some point, so I'll politely request people focus maybe more on the toxicity of a handful of fans and less about last night's revelations.
    Bingo. It’s literally what I said. The media riles up a specific set of fans and then it gets toxic, and then detracts from it all. THAT riles me up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bingo. It’s literally what I said. The media riles up a specific set of fans and then it gets toxic, and then detracts from it all. THAT riles me up.
    Gotcha now, sure there's a minority, but as you said in another post, it's so small that it's no fair representation of fans as a whole. Every country has their assholes.

Gotcha now, sure there's a minority, but as you said in another post, it's so small that it's no fair representation of fans as a whole. Every country has their assholes.
    Yup. Change country and insert any popular interest, not just sport, and it’s exactly the same.

good luck to spanish, danish and english fans around

I've been despising my own national team for a decade now, we were used to so many great players that was awful to see what a joke of a team we became after winning WC 2006 (where most players were in their 30's)

I still despise most of the players, but Mancini did a great job as a trainer, we play more like a club team than a national team, and this is something I've never seen before for Italy
    if some of you insulted Immobile after the Belgium game, I support you, joke of a player and joke of a man

Don't worry. The USA will win its second world cup before England wins its second.