Thread: Euro 2020

Page 79 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I still don't understand how it can be so difficult for non-Italian speakers to write SPINAZZOLA correctly
    just one N, just two Z
    Honestly, I saw it written double n double z and thought that's how it's spelled. Thank you for the correction.

- - - Updated - - -

"Awful Germany"

Didn't they dick over Portugal 4-2?

Every team is amazing and is going to knock out England until they lose, then it turns out they were really shit and we haven't played anyone
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Seems a fairly common sentiment here, love the players, hate the fans… even worse with all the brexit bullshitters attaching themselves to it. It’s like, two matches ago you were fucking booing them you racist shit.

Urgh.
    Just so I didn't misunderstand: Do you mean that the "brexit bullshitters" have started to attach themselves to the football team while they were booing the same team earlier?

Wanna point out that every English fan here is always respectful and that you clearly don't belong to the "bad part"! I also love your extreme pessisism you guys bring along with your support.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Honestly, I saw it written double n double z and thought that's how it's spelled. Thank you for the correction.

- - - Updated - - -

"Awful Germany"

Didn't they dick over Portugal 4-2?

Every team is amazing and is going to knock out England until they lose, then it turns out they were really shit and we haven't played anyone
    Deal with it. Jokes aside, Germany have some extreme quality and that was imo a fine victory for England, I genuinly thought that Germany would win. Obviously Germany have coaching issues but they are a team capable of winning anyone.

And regarding easy and diffcult paths: While "worse" teams provide you with a statistically better chance to progress further, it can be quite objective. Some teams struggle against teams that sit back and defend, which "worse" team often do. The expectations rises a lot aswell.

Then one could also argue that the team gets better by defeating better opposition. You get exposed so you can learn about your weaknesses, and you get a big boost of confidence when winning against the bigger teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Henx View Post
    Just so I didn't misunderstand: Do you mean that the "brexit bullshitters" have started to attach themselves to the football team while they were booing the same team earlier?
    Yep, exactly that.

- - - Updated - - -

Wanna point out that every English fan here is always respectful and that you clearly don't belong to the "bad part"! I also love your extreme pessisism you guys bring along with your support.
    I don't think any of us know anything better than a semi-final, and with the Iceland debacle, and failing to qualify for a world cup, and failing to get past group stages, being shit is kind of expected. My neighbour's kid was playing Three Lions at 7:30 this morning, he's going to think this is somehow normal.

People criticising the penalty decision - worth noting that the "foul" for Denmarks FK was equally soft (in addition to the fact that it should have been disallowed by the strict application of the Laws of the Game). Overall England dominated the game, and while the football was stodgy, they deserved to go through. These statements can be true in conjunction with the view that the England fans behaved poorly.

The fact that the ref did not even bother to check the VAR for the pen obviously means they have decided on a Italy V England final. Coupled with the 10 fucking own goals ( especially that ridiculous own goal by the Slovakian keeper against Spain) makes it hard to believe this competition is not rigged to some extent. Seems like it is silly to take the sport seriously these days with the blatant bias and corruption going on. Football is an entertainment product and the focus is to manufacture excitement and drama to make the product more appealing to viewers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Biden is a creepy old dude, I will not be voting for the guy.
    ^ This is from a self-proclaimed Trump-hater who goes round vote-policing, berating and insulting other users for expressing their doubts and reservations about Joe Biden. He also urges others to end relationships and friendships just to "vote Trump out". https://ibb.co/2jRnZGC He can't seem to walk the talk himself.

Quote Originally Posted by lockybalboa View Post
    The fact that the ref did not even bother to check the VAR for the pen obviously means they have decided on a Italy V England final. Coupled with the 10 fucking own goals ( especially that ridiculous own goal by the Slovakian keeper against Spain) makes it hard to believe this competition is not rigged to some extent. Seems like it is silly to take the sport seriously these days with the blatant bias and corruption going on. Football is an entertainment product and the focus is to manufacture excitement and drama to make the product more appealing to viewers.
    VAR did check the goal. They did not recommend that the ref look at the screen as they confirmed the decision. Do you know how VAR works?

VAR check every major incident (goals, red cards, penalties). If they disagree with the on-field decision (the threshold being clear and obvious error) they will recommend that the referee review the incident on the screen before allowing the referee to decide whether to overturn the decision or not (bar for offsides which can be called without reviewing the footage). If VAR agrees with the decision it will not recommend that the referee review the screen.

Also, how does the fact that the Danish goal should have been disallowed by the laws of the game fit into your tin-foil hat theory?
    Last edited by Fenrys; 2021-07-08 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
    VAR did check the goal. They did not recommend that the ref look at the screen as they confirmed the decision. Do you know how VAR works?

VAR check every major incident (goals, red cards, penalties). If they disagree with the on-field decision they will recommend that the referee review the incident on the screen before allowing the referee to decide whether to overturn the decision or not (bar for offsides which can be called without reviewing the footage). If VAR agrees with the decision it will not recommend that the referee review the screen.

Also, how does the fact that the Danish goal should have been disallowed by the laws of the game fit into your tin-foil hat theory?
    VAR is controlled by a human checker who decides whether it is a penalty. And that was a blatant dive which they gave a penalty even with the use of VAR. Tell me how is that not bias intended? Their aim is to decide on the outcome of the match and that pen gave England the win. That is all that mattered. And explain to me the 10 own goals in this tournament and that own goal scored by the Slovakian keeper which he literally aimed to the punch the ball into the net. All coincidences?
    ^ This is from a self-proclaimed Trump-hater who goes round vote-policing, berating and insulting other users for expressing their doubts and reservations about Joe Biden. He also urges others to end relationships and friendships just to "vote Trump out". https://ibb.co/2jRnZGC He can't seem to walk the talk himself.

VAR is controlled by a human checker who decides whether it is a penalty. And that was a blatant dive which they gave a penalty even with the use of VAR. Tell me how is that not bias intended? Their aim is to decide on the outcome of the match and that pen gave England the win. That is all that mattered. And explain to me the 10 own goals in this tournament and that own goal scored by the Slovakian keeper which he literally aimed to the punch the ball into the net. All coincidences?
    Except it wasn't a blatant dive. There were two instances of contact (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iix...annel=ZABOPEEK) without getting the ball, which while tending towards the soft end of the spectrum, are frequently given as fouls in the box. Its one where you are pissed if its given against you, and pissed if you aren't given it. VAR didn't overturn it because it wasn't a clear error.

Besides, if they wanted to "fix" the result they could have given the far stronger penalty shout for England earlier in the game (and could have correctly disallowed Denmark's goal).

10 own goals is just a statistical anomaly. It happens sometimes in a high variance game. As for Dubravka? I really rate him, but he does have form for a gaffe or two
    Last edited by Fenrys; 2021-07-08 at 12:25 PM.

Will you stop conspiracy theory nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I don't think it was a penalty, I understand why the VAR didn't gave the ref a sign to have a look. Makkelie normally is a good ref but mistakes are human. The VAR on the other hand, Van Boekel, is the worst ref we currently have. I guess he's bad as VAR too

10+ Year Old Account
    VAR overturns "clear and obvious errors"

Soft penalties aren't errors. Also a reminder, we don't do conspiracy theory peddling here.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    If VAR exists and cameras all over lets add another use to them.
    Let a separate trio of referees sit and review unsportmanship like for example IM GOING TO DIE acting on the pit that the referee miss because hes occupied with the game.
    Ciro Immobile comes to mind but he is by no means alone doing it or other kinds of bullshit.
    Other referees could review it and when a card is warranted they can contact the referee to hand out the card on the pit.
    Pretty certain the amount of acting, dirty hits would plumit.

- - - Updated - - -

Well gotta say that the English fans didn't really make any new friends last night. The laser in Schmeichel's eyes during the penalty and then the booing during the national anthem, these things are unacceptable. I know that these kind of things happen in all fan groups, but it doesn't make it any better.

It's actually quite sad, since the English team is full of exciting and nice players.

I am no fan of Italy in football but play wise they have arguably been playing the most entertaining football in this tournament, except for their annyoing timewasting and falling to the ground, but England is challenging them in the latter department. I wouldn't mind the English players winning the trophy, and the country in itself would enjoy it so much that it would be quite nice to see.

But I have a feeling that the English media and the bad part of the fans would make it quite unbearable. And regarding the bad part of the fans: I know there are these kind of fans in every fan group, but I would argue that this group is bigger than in some other countries or atleast more easily noticed. This might very well be due to the football culture in England, which is plagued by some ugly hooliganism. This has been evident at club level for ages. But I fucking love "It's coming home", to me it's more of a tournament song that just makes me excited for the whole tournament in itself.
    Playing every game at home with huge crowds will taint this EURO either way if they win. English fans are always dicks wether its EURO or Premier League.
    Luckily for EURO 2020 the England players are not at all like their fans and they for once play really good.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

its coming home lads. as scrapbot was mean to me ill add in some late obsevations.

Nederland is a joke team, smash the minnows and then fall apart instantly against another journeyman team.
    France were shocking, they have always relied on having overwhelming talent in every position to get over the fact that they are tactically poor.
    Spain need to put morata in a hole and never let him out. Hes just not very good. Surely they can convince another brazillian player to pretend hes Spanish so they have a decent forward. They are the nicest team in transition however, their midfielders rarely go back to defenders and always seem to turn and go forward.

England are pretty decent a bit lucky, and Italy have the passion but i think they look vulnerable against better sides.

I mean it was a tense game to watch, England should have wrapped it up without needing a penalty and honestly should have scored a 3rd but only played to waste time in the 2nd half of ET. England deserved to win last night, whether it was due to a soft penalty or not the better team went to the final. I mean everyone has to give massive respect to Denmark for coming back from that first game and getting so far, but they had just run outta legs by the semi.

I dunno, people go on about english fans all the time but when Spurs fans travel to France and Italy they get hospitalized for being Jews? But yeah, lets keep on hating on ALL English fans. Every country has morons, stop pretending that they define a country.

I think we can give Italy a good game, but I worry Italy will be able to carve our defence open and we really need to be at our best to score against Italy, especially if they get ahead. I think our greatest strength is our squad depth but Southgate needs to commit to bringing in the likes of Sanch/Graelish/Foden when legs are getting tired, those players are game changers and youve gotta use that. Obviously Italy are favourites for the final, I just hope we can give it a real good go.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post

I dunno, people go on about english fans all the time but when Spurs fans travel to France and Italy they get hospitalized for being Jews? But yeah, lets keep on hating on ALL English fans. Every country has morons, stop pretending that they define a country.
    Please stop insulting the Italian cultural practice of stabbing opposing fans in the butts.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    wow, for once we are not the bad guys in the final

I still believe Italy is stronger than England, but it will be a tight match

- - - Updated - - -

I still don't understand how it can be so difficult for non-Italian speakers to write SPINAZZOLA correctly
    just one N, just two Z
    Don't worry back in highschool I had a few teachers that were doing some of my lessons for 5+ years and could never get my first or last name correct. English and foreign name spelling (hell the name I went by back then wasn't even foreign) has never gone well.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei- View Post
    Watching Kane's legs fall out under him like wet noodles when someone touched his arm was painful. He did it like 6 or 7 times and failed only once in drawing a free kick from thin air. Likewise, Sterling for the last 30 minutes did nothing except run into the box only to fall down trying to get a free penalty. Finally with the help of the home crowd yelling it got to the ref and he was fooled. England is no better than Italy in this aspect. Northern and UK based players used to have more integrity but the game has changed. Everyone is flopping and diving like an idiot now.
    I wonder if having games analyzed post-game via video and handing out cards would stop it or is worth the time. Or maybe have the game running and then the VAR watching and if they see a simulation offense have the ref at the next stoppage hand out cards then.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
    Except it wasn't a blatant dive. There were two instances of contact (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iix...annel=ZABOPEEK) without getting the ball, which while tending towards the soft end of the spectrum, are frequently given as fouls in the box. Its one where you are pissed if its given against you, and pissed if you aren't given it. VAR didn't overturn it because it wasn't a clear error.

Besides, if they wanted to "fix" the result they could have given the far stronger penalty shout for England earlier in the game (and could have correctly disallowed Denmark's goal).

10 own goals is just a statistical anomaly. It happens sometimes in a high variance game. As for Dubravka? I really rate him, but he does have form for a gaffe or two
    How was it not a blatant dive? Sterling went down himself first with no prior contact. Go watch the replay ffs. And you expect a top national keeper to literally aim and punch the ball into the net like that? And like I've said, that penalty sealed the victory for England. Does not matter the timing. Take off your bias and be objective.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    VAR overturns "clear and obvious errors"

Soft penalties aren't errors. Also a reminder, we don't do conspiracy theory peddling here.
    If the ref did his job, because Sterling dived even before contact was made, he should've been cautioned for diving. And there were 2 balls on the pitch at that time. Why did VAR not catch all that? This is disgraceful officiating. What is the f-ing point of VAR then? "Oh we've fucked up, but VAR cannot be wrong!". If anything VAR has made officiating worse when you have corrupted officials manning it.
    Last edited by lockybalboa; 2021-07-08 at 06:23 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well Sterling was already falling when the first contact happened. So not a penalty.
    Hello VAR?

Referees’ chief: We don’t want to give soft penalties at Euro 2020
    Uefa’s refereeing chief has insisted that officials will not award “soft penalties” despite statistics showing that spot kicks are being given at twice the rate in Euro 2020 compared to previous tournaments.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2021-07-08 at 07:26 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Seems a fairly common sentiment here, love the players, hate the fans… even worse with all the brexit bullshitters attaching themselves to it. It’s like, two matches ago you were fucking booing them you racist shit.

Urgh.
    Like god almighty we have had Tories openly bitching about them, saying they should be boo'd and saying they would not support England because of the taking the knee among other things, turning into "Englands greatest supporters, we should make a national holiday for them." in the space of a couple of hours.

It's like they're calling heads and tails on the same coin flip just to say they're the winners either way. If Heads(England Win) they can go around saying how they always loved England, the team and not being behind them was unpatriotic. If tails (England lose) they can come out and say it's because of their wokeyness (Taking the knee), that no one really supported them if you were patriotic and everyone of them should be made to not wear the England shirt again because of some culture slight.