Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    "I know that they have to maintain the game in an online state with active support, updating, and content but..."
    I don't even like or play retail WoW, but it's really pretty straightforward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

Why does anything cost money? Does it make sense? What even is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I’d also just simply like to know what their official rationale is for it.

So far, no one has been able to answer beyond their own assumptions and rationale.

And I’m getting lashed out at for even asking.
    official rationale
    You were told explicitly in the first page what the EULA claims the subscription is for and common business sense informs that detailing exactly what a sub pays for would be an extremely poor move as far as opening up a company to liability. So you got your very literal answer that you explicitly responded to already, are now trying to claim that answer was never given, and are attempting to downplay others explaining logically what the costs are of running an MMO.
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

Why does the subscription exist? Does anyone really know?

Am I missing something? Is it really just to access the game? Does it make sense?
    Because it is a business and it cost money. That money has to come from somewhere. So yes, it does make sense. Just because other companies choose not past the cost to the consumers does not mean it cost nothing to run.

Would it make sense for them to go for a free-to-play model and have people pay for the content they want, such as raids? No idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why does the subscription exist? Does anyone really know?

I understand you don't have to play if you don't want to. But, I'm genuinely asking. I don't understand why it exists.

I understand it provides more income for them and people pay it. They're also not the only game doing it. FF14 does for example.

It made sense to me in 2004, when it was assumed it was helping to pay for the servers, which were "special" to accommodate the massive populations and remarkable for the time. It was also assumed it would be to pay for steady content updates.

But, they need content updates or no one will play, which makes it kind of weird that we're funding them monthly in part to make content, they need to make anyway to keep people playing to buy store mounts, services, and keep interest in the game for future box sales.

Am I missing something? Is it really just to access the game? Does it make sense?
    Simple answer: Because there's still plenty of players willing to pay that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Official answer, when WOW launched they decide to use the subscription and they never changed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because this business model works for WoW.

Not really a big brain thing. When it will no longer work - they will change.

... because you don't know how to make gold.
    Learn, buy a token each month and play free.
    There are a lot of helpful videos on YouTube, to get you started.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jlrm365 View Post
    ... because you don't know how to make gold.
    Learn, buy a token each month and play free.
    There are a lot of helpful videos on YouTube, to get you started.
    Nice way to earn sub-minimum wage in something that's supposed to be a recreational activity.

/shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Yes, we do.

They do release plenty of content updates. Since I started playing they've released 7 (seven) more expansions, which means some 20+ raids, 40 or 50 dungeons, and tons of systems and changes. Periods between content updates are expected for any game, that's not unusual or unwanted, especially as everyone progresses at different rates.

Your sub pays for people to develop content, for servers, for support teams, and so on, along with cash made from the in-game shop and cosmetic items.
    I paid full price for all seven of those expansions. Same price any other full game would cost. Why the subscription on top of it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sansnom View Post
    Because it is a business and it cost money. That money has to come from somewhere. So yes, it does make sense. Just because other companies choose not past the cost to the consumers does not mean it cost nothing to run.

Would it make sense for them to go for a free-to-play model and have people pay for the content they want, such as raids? No idea.
    Adding to this, if they changed to a F2P model we would have P2W and overwhelming MTX. Those crying about cosmetic MTX every 4-6 months on forums have no idea what the MTX model really looks like, bless their hearts. Looking at you, ESO.

The expansion box cost is what funds further development of the patches. Not subscription money. People who think otherwise should really think what happens if no expansion or patch would ever be released... rofl

Sub money is way too high now a days considering tech advancement etc

But, they need content updates or no one will play
    Eh, I'd play wow forever with 0 updates.
    Just like I would assume any person still playing vanilla classic intends to.
    Last edited by Drusin; 2021-07-10 at 01:56 AM.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by aeuhe4yxzhds View Post
    The expansion box cost is what funds further development of the patches. Not subscription money. People who think otherwise should really think what happens if no expansion or patch would ever be released... rofl

Sub money is way too high now a days considering tech advancement etc
    Thanks for the in-depth explanation of how Blizzard spends its resources internally. I was a bit confused about how it worked but thanks to your completely uncited, totally unsourced claim, I now fully understand!

15$/month was very common for mmorpgs. You need to pay for support/GMs, for the servers and you get new patches and content for free. Thats pretty reasonable.

But nowadays WoW could live on with only subs or only storemounts or only paid character services. The only reason we have all those things in the game is because Actiblizz is greedy. Its like taxes. Have you ever seen taxes go down? The government doesnt give up free money even if they dont "need" it.

Remember when they increased the cost of character services which are automated and dont cost them anything? Capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    I paid full price for all seven of those expansions. Same price any other full game would cost. Why the subscription on top of it?
    Because you assumedly play it longer than you would a normal full price game as otherwise you wouldn't have a reason to be paying monthly?
    Enjoy.

I think the question you're really asking is, why WoW isn't free to play with a pay to win cash shop? I don't know. I'd welcome that change since the game is long past its prime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Play some f2p mmo, then come back to this thread.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Dequanacus View Post
    Because you assumedly play it longer than you would a normal full price game as otherwise you wouldn't have a reason to be paying monthly?
    I have roughly the same hours on WoW and Skyrim. One was considerably cheaper, and I would have fucking ***loved*** to pay full price for more WoW-sized expansions to that game. But mods are free, soooooooo....

We’ve gotten an answer that claims it’s in the EULA that you’re paying to access to the game. I haven’t verified that, but I’ll assume for now it’s true.

We haven’t gotten an official answer as to “why” we’re paying monthly for access to the game yet.

If anyone has anything solid (not your opinion) post it. Thanks.