Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why were the early 2010s so vapid and anti intellectual?

It seemed like much of society was more interested in reality shows and materialism. It seems like an interest in science was mocked.

https://twitter.com/joshbridges12/st...00025848594432

Why did society become dumbed down in the early 2010s? Should we aspire to push ourselves both mentally and physically again?

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainmen...ccinated-crew/

Should we promote the smartening up of society?

I look upon the 2000s and early 2010s with great embarrassment and disgust.

Not enough Mass Effect 3 and cheerleaders obviously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    As I recall you weren't a very big fan of the '90s either.
    /s

Too many libertarians in office.

It’s because space is boring and nobody cares about boring.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why did society become dumbed down in the early 2010s?
    I don't know because I was just a kid/teenager for most of my life so it's kind of hard for me to judge. To me it seems like society is getting more advanced. Maybe you only perceive things getting worse because you didn't notice issues already existed when you were a kid and you're just better at identifying pre-existing problems now that you're older.
    Should we promote the smartening up of society?
    Yes of course, as long as it's not based on coercion.
    Maybe you are holding humanity up to an unreasonably high standard of perfection.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-08-10 at 09:39 PM.

smartening up society sounds like communism with no profit motive attached to it. so of course Americans hate it.

The replies in this thread prove his point. Science boring? Uhh, it’s way more interesting than fiction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Introduction of social media and everyone being retarded on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the Bush presidency set a bad precedent of "intellectualism." Things weren't meant to be thought about, they were meant to be felt. Climate Change? Why, just a bunch of hippies worried about mother nature.

You can trace a rather straying, downhill line from Bush to the current anti-science goons we see supporting someone like Trump. Now it's extended to things like masks and the vaccine.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I like what Tristan Harris talks about when he explains how people have become commodities and companies are competing for attention. Over the past 30 or 40 years this process has been refined and now we have widespread use of screens it's become a competition where the worst of the bunch rise to the top.

In other words the majority of people are much more consumed with looking at trash on their phones than they are about scientific aspiration.
    Last edited by caractacus; 2021-08-11 at 07:43 AM.

You mean the current time period? I've never seen so much stupidity from both sides of the spectrum. One side is anti-police, and the other side is anti-vaccines. Just to name an example for each.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    You mean the current time period? I've never seen so much stupidity from both sides of the spectrum. One side is anti-police, and the other side is anti-vaccines. Just to name an example for each.
    That is because a headline that reads "Racist police must be defunded" gets tons more clicks than one that reads "A rational approach to reforming the police force"

Likewise a headline that reads "Vaccine causes fatal blood clots" will get loads more clicks that one that reads "The pros and cons of having a vaccine"

Places like facebook and Twitter like to make it look like they care but really they just want your attention for as long as possible.

I don't see how that particular time period was any worse than others. You could make the same criticisms of any time period. What is so special about that one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    The replies in this thread prove his point. Science boring? Uhh, it’s way more interesting than fiction.
    Science Fiction is far more interesting than regular ol' science.

Rise of the Smartphone

10+ Year Old Account
    Leaving libertarian assholes in charge of mass communication platforms leads to anti-intellectual outcomes.

It's a continuation of the phenomena that we saw on; AM radio, cable television, now in social media.

The economy was still afu in 2010. A libertarian in charge of the fed thought banking firms could regulate themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Just wait until you get the 2020s! Certainly hasn't been a bastion of intellectualism so far.
    Things have gone downhill. Saw a hint of things to come in '08 with Sarah Palin.