Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    No. You're just spouting nonsense as someone else pointed out. Defensive/offensive CDs aren't considered part of a rotation. Otherwise, WoW is just as complicated as you claim FFXIV to be.
    Only battle litany is a raid offensive cd but he is pretty much right, dragoon has a lot of buttons and oGCDs, now put aoe abilities in the mix and we are easily at 20 buttons just for rotational use you have to bind.

I think with role commands im pretty much at 31~ bindings on my hotbar for dragoon.

I don't see why that's a negative or a problem though, FF14 is differently paced to WoW so the flowing rotations are part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprias1212 View Post
    Only battle litany is a raid offensive cd but he is pretty much right, dragoon has a lot of buttons and oGCDs, now put aoe abilities in the mix and we are easily at 20 buttons just for rotational use you have to bind.

I think with role commands im pretty much at 31~ bindings on my hotbar for dragoon.

I don't see why that's a negative or a problem though, FF14 is differently paced to WoW so the flowing rotations are part of the fun.
    Well I haven't gone too deep intro Dragoon so if all those abilities are ACTUALLY crucial to the rotation then it's up there with Dancer. The rest of the classes from what I've seen are nowhere near as involved when it comes to rotation.

Well I haven't gone too deep intro Dragoon so if all those abilities are ACTUALLY crucial to the rotation then it's up there with Dancer. The rest of the classes from what I've seen are nowhere near as involved when it comes to rotation.
    I've just played dragoon and red mage and those two are already worlds apart in stuff you have to bind, overall i'd still say that most classes in WoW only require 2 hotbars (á 12 keybinds) while you want to have 3 for most jobs in ff14.

I was also really overwhelmed at the start but as i said due to fight pacing and more of a rotational nature compared to WoW you usually get into it quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by adtr28x View Post
    Try ffxiv combo plugin. It prunes a lot of the combo buttons into one like it does in PvP. For tanks like GNB and PLD it saves 7-9 Buttons. For Dragoons it saves 7 IIRC. It works well for some classes but other classes like BLM and MNK it doesn't do much.
    If only it worked with dancer single target abilities u.u, for BLM i thinks ok, for MNK its hilariously useless

Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    I play both Wow and ff14 at the same time but took a break from Wow. So I started playing FF14 more often on my white mage, I mostly enjoyed watching the story because honestly doing the MSQ is more about playing a movie ala Metal gear than actually leveling which I enjoy.
    I wanted to see what was ahead of me so I started to look up guides and I was really horrified. It looks like you need to press like over 10 buttons and do a rotation of 15+. Honestly its so many buttons you begin to appreciate the pruning of skills in wow.

Take for example White mage, I got cure 1(single targe) cure 2(single target+) Cure 3(for some reason targeted AOE)... and it frustrates me because it seems so unnecessary since there is the Medica line of spells which are AOE.

I wanted to play Black mage and then I learn that if you like to move your DPS suffers. And that class is a 15+ button pressing class. Im like, doesn't square know what FUN is? This is not it!
    I am a proponent of get gud, but this is ridiculous! You shouldn't have to learn more than 6 buttons at the most imo, a controller has 8 buttons, 10 if you count the L3 and R3.

Another thing, and this is a tangent, is there anything else other than raids at max level? I am not much of a raid player anymore and enjoyed the hell out of Mythics, is there anything like that in FF at max level?
    Yup, huge turnoff for me, too.

Actually one of the things i always disliked about the game is how extensive some jobs are in terms of the amount of bindings i need to play them in a comfortable way (bear in mind that this is entirely personal). Anything that is more than 2 hotbars feels too much for my taste and i always found it silly that the same game had a 'fix' but only for PvP. Basically, combo chains that are a fixed closed sequence should be one dynamic button. But as i said, is a very personal thing, i know people that love to have as many binds as possible, with several modifiers and everything... i just believe that a complex and fun rotation does not require a ton of slightly different buttons, but interesting interactions between a few of them.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather have overcomplicated classes than encounters.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Alodi View Post
    I'd rather have overcomplicated classes than encounters.
    I’m the opposite. No matter how complex a class can be, it will always become second nature after a while. New encounters dont, and are easier to pump out than class changes.

The biggest issue I have in 14 as a long time WoW player is figuring out keybinds for all the attacks. In WoW, I have all of my bars filled and bound, but they’re not all damaging abilities, they’re focus modifiers, arena 1/2/3 macros etc. In WoW I’m able to typically keep my damage limited to 12345 and shift 123, it really throws me off using the rest of my keyboard for damage and not utility.

I’ve gotten better at it, but I’m still not really satisfied. I’ll say this though, most rotations look far more daunting on paper than they actually are in practice. Once you get it down it’s hard to get wrong

Even black mage becomes quite simple when just dpsing, but inclusion of mechanics makes it one of the harder specs.
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2021-08-27 at 09:49 AM.

No. You're just spouting nonsense as someone else pointed out. Defensive/offensive CDs aren't considered part of a rotation. Otherwise, WoW is just as complicated as you claim FFXIV to be.
    Why are you piling defensive and offensive cooldowns as if they are the same thing? Defensive abilities are situational, offensive are usually pressed off cooldown.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Why are you piling defensive and offensive cooldowns as if they are the same thing? Defensive abilities are situational, offensive are usually pressed off cooldown.
    The point I'm making is that including CDs that can't be used again for another 1-2 minutes as part of a standard rotation is dishonest.

Not exactly answering your question, but if you're having issues with the amount of buttons, then might I suggest binding some letter keys (if you haven't already). For instance, I bound strafe to A and D, that way I can use Q and E and shift Q, shift E. I also use R, F, G, X. This is all to prevent me from having to reach over to 9-12 or so keys regularly.
    Last edited by Absintheminded; 2021-08-27 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    I play both Wow and ff14 at the same time but took a break from Wow. So I started playing FF14 more often on my white mage, I mostly enjoyed watching the story because honestly doing the MSQ is more about playing a movie ala Metal gear than actually leveling which I enjoy.
    I wanted to see what was ahead of me so I started to look up guides and I was really horrified. It looks like you need to press like over 10 buttons and do a rotation of 15+. Honestly its so many buttons you begin to appreciate the pruning of skills in wow.

Take for example White mage, I got cure 1(single targe) cure 2(single target+) Cure 3(for some reason targeted AOE)... and it frustrates me because it seems so unnecessary since there is the Medica line of spells which are AOE.

I wanted to play Black mage and then I learn that if you like to move your DPS suffers. And that class is a 15+ button pressing class. Im like, doesn't square know what FUN is? This is not it!
    I am a proponent of get gud, but this is ridiculous! You shouldn't have to learn more than 6 buttons at the most imo, a controller has 8 buttons, 10 if you count the L3 and R3.

Another thing, and this is a tangent, is there anything else other than raids at max level? I am not much of a raid player anymore and enjoyed the hell out of Mythics, is there anything like that in FF at max level?
    Yeah, there is your problem. I mean, i get it, it's playable on Ps3/Ps4 but come on... it's an MMO, get a keyboard and a mouse.

But to be more constructive: dig into macros. Most classes can reduce their buttons by macroing stuff together. For example on my bard i macroed my dps CDs to the song they should be used with, then macroed all my instant spells in a single macro. This gives me 6 less buttons to press

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Not exactly answering your question, but if you're having issues with the amount of buttons, then might I suggest binding some letter keys (if you haven't already). For instance, I bound strafe to A and D, that way I can use Q and E and shift Q, shift E. I also use R, F, G, X. This is all to prevent me from having to reach over to 9-12 or so keys regularly.
    Try to read the post next time first, not just the title. He plays with a controller
    Last edited by Vilendor; 2021-08-27 at 10:21 AM.

With expanded cross hotbars and good layout it's not a big deal for controller players. People prog world first with controller and 24 binds on a keyboard is more than enough to play all jobs, and that's using modifiers which is basically the same as cross hotbars.

Your core rotation will fit onto a hotbar, openers and weaving CDs are more involved regardless, but you aren't doing that 90% of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been leveling samurai lately, and the amount of keybinds isnt all that bad. The base rotation uses
    Single target:
    Hakaze - Starts combo
    jinpu - Combo #1 step 1
    Gekko - Combo #1 step 2
    Shifu - Combo #2 step 1
    Kasha - Combo #2 step 2
    Yukikaze - Combo #3
    Hissatsu: shinten - Resource dump

Aoe
    Fuga - Starts combo
    Mangetsu - Combo #1
    Oka - Combo #2
    Hissatsu: kyuten - resource dump

Used by both single target & aoe
    Hissatsu: Kaiten - Buffs next attack
    Laijutsu - Hard hitting spender
    Enpi - ranged attack
    Shoha - Spender. Not used frequenty as it takes a lil while to build up

Dps cds
    Meikyo Shisui - 1m cd
    Ikishoten - 1m cd
    Hissatsu Guren - 2m aoe cd (shares cd with Senei)
    Hissatsu Senei - 2m single target cd (shares cd with Guren)
    Tsubame-gaeshi - 1m cd

All of these probably should be keybound for optimal play. So thats 20 keybinds. Then you also have two mobility spells. Five defensives and five utility spells. + limit break

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    Yeah, there is your problem. I mean, i get it, it's playable on Ps3/Ps4 but come on... it's an MMO, get a keyboard and a mouse.

But to be more constructive: dig into macros. Most classes can reduce their buttons by macroing stuff together. For example on my bard i macroed my dps CDs to the song they should be used with, then macroed all my instant spells in a single macro. This gives me 6 less buttons to press

Try to read the post next time first, not just the title. He plays with a controller
    Don't be a dick, my post could still help someone streamlining their hot bars.

As a tangent is there a site like IcyVeins/Wowhead for FFXIV? A guide that will tell me what the basic ST/AOE rotation is. Prefered stats, etc.

All that I could find are blog like guides that pretty much just describe what the job is good for and a sense for how it plays, not a guide on how to actually play it.

Thanks in advance.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    I’m the opposite. No matter how complex a class can be, it will always become second nature after a while. New encounters dont, and are easier to pump out than class changes.
    It's a personal preference for me. It's more immersive for me to find out the best way to play a complicated class and master it than learning a really difficult encounter which can be totally fucked by 1 moron inside your group.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by Maell View Post
    As a tangent is there a site like IcyVeins/Wowhead for FFXIV? A guide that will tell me what the basic ST/AOE rotation is. Prefered stats, etc.

All that I could find are blog like guides that pretty much just describe what the job is good for and a sense for how it plays, not a guide on how to actually play it.

Thanks in advance.
    https://www.akhmorning.com/ and https://saltedxiv.com/ are the two I see referenced the most.

If you play a healer, then all you do is place a DoT on the target and then spam a damage dealing ability (single target or AoE) over and over again. Ie if, you play White Mage, then 95% of the time you're just spamming Stone or Holy. If someone's HP dips down a bit, you press an ability to fill up their HP bar in one second and go back to spamming Stone or Holy. You can literally play healer with just 5 buttons on your hotbar: DoT, single target ability, AoE ability, heal, and rez. Unless you're doing a savage raid, the content in the game is so easy you never really need to use all of your buttons as healer. Is the simplest and easiest role in the whole game.