Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebeast View Post
    Well, you are playing a pretty crappy, mind-numbing boring ass game
    Could be worse - could be WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Rotation isn't basic repeated skills, it's a repeat of sequence of actions, which in FFXIV usually takes around 3 minutes to fully reset.
    Probably misundarstanding. Rotation in general does not include cooldowns and is a shortish sequence that repeats (hence rotatation). Priority queue in general is something different from rotation and there are times when you cant have a rotation and only have a priority queue. Outside of that, in general you dont count defensives and situational buttons in a rotation. Also, usually not counted burst cooldowns, because while you can use on CD they can be kept for when truly needed.
    2 mins and 3mins and above are not usually considered part of a "main rotation".

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I have a gunbreaker at level 70 right now. Outside of CDs, there's only like...4-5 buttons in the rotation. I don't know a single class that has a 15+ button rotation. You are grossly exaggerating how many buttons are in a rotation.
    My Red Mage - which is newbie friendly job - uses 20 +/- button in rotation. I know that, because i needed to make shift + and alt + keybings to my standard 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and q, e, r, f, x keybinds. And there are still some abilities that i mouse click.

Sure, my "basic" combo i less abilities but i need quick access to those 20 +/- abilities because they are all used in combat scenarios. I may not use pure aoe skills in single boss fight but still need those keybinded and easy to access.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    My Red Mage - which is newbie friendly job - uses 20 +/- button in rotation. I know that, because i needed to make shift + and alt + keybings to my standard 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and q, e, r, f, x keybinds. And there are still some abilities that i mouse click.

Sure, my "basic" combo i less abilities but i need quick access to those 20 +/- abilities because they are all used in combat scenarios. I may not use pure aoe skills in single boss fight but still need those keybinded and easy to access.
    are you just using every single ability available? because that's what it sounds like.
    there's no way you need 20+ different abilities for your rotation.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by OokOok View Post
    Hilarious you say that, cause if I look up any wow class rotation I promise it will be an overwhelming mess of confusion, yet when you actually play the spec it's simplistic, straight forward and often 4-5 buttons if you use macros. Which class in ffxiv did you look up that was 15? not even summoner has a 15 button rotation, do classes have 15 abiltiies? yeah..... wow classes have like 30 abilities, how many do you use? Just because something is there doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. This is a silly thread.
    Outside of Summoner every class in this game has like a 5 button rotation with separate abilities you can press in specific scenarios where you need to self heal or pop a DCD just like in wow

If you're going to over react on pressing 2-3 more buttons, then maybe you should stay in WoW and just play an assassination rogue that has a 5 button rotation and then come on here and complain that WoW is so boring because you only press 5 buttons. ZZzzzzzzzzzzzz WoW players always crying
    I'm guessing dragoon? You have 1,2,3 combo + 5,6 dragon buff refresher abilities, another 1,2,3 combo, 5,6 dragon buff refresher abilities again with the 3 jumps that have 30 second, 60 second, and 90 second cooldowns, and Getsuga Tensho off GCD thrown in there every 30 seconds. During super saiyan mode you can weave super getsuga tensho every 10 seconds along with the dragonsong jump. Also have to manage the right positionals for your DoT and buff refresher abilities to get the potency buff on your next combo starter. But honestly, it's pretty simple. Was harder when the dragon buff could actually fall off. Now you don't even need to think about keeping the dragon buff active anymore.

The rotations seem harder than they actually are in practice.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2021-08-27 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    I tried searching for this and couldn't find it. Do you happen to have a link?
    Search for XIVLauncher. I provides a built in interface to install plugins with one of them being a combo mod. So far it works flawlessly to me because I know that using multiple abilities in the same macro leads to delays for some reason.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    I made the mistake of making NIN my main, its fast pace but god damn do i still have problems keeping up. Luckily the rotation for them is only like 5 buttons? Then when Trick comes up you just blow your load in that time before returning back to your 5 buttons again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    In that case it's INSANELY easy.

I have it setup so i can EASILY access 4 bars at any given time.

I changed the options to only swap between bars 1 and two when pressed(it's fast enough i can have combos on both), enabled the w bar i think it is(the extra one above the regular cross bar) linked that one to bar 3 and use it for important cds so i know when off cd theeen i do the whole hold l2 then r2 thing to unlock bar 4 or half of it at least if needed.

It's not hard or complex and honestly likely works far better then a keyboard once setup right. I don't even need a 4th bar tbh and have room to spare since my mount and classes are all on bar 8 and 7 which i access by manually selecting them(hold the bar toggle then just select the bar you want)

Hell i even have most skills grouped by combo with say the nins ten chi jin setup as upper middle and bottom to represent sky land and self etc.

Again it's pretty simple once you tinker with controller settings.

Great. And what should i do with this comment, how is this relevant to me or my comment? I don't even own a controller and newer will.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    are you just using every single ability available? because that's what it sounds like.
    there's no way you need 20+ different abilities for your rotation.
    Skills i need to keybind for my single target rotation:
    1 Riposte,
    2 Jolt,
    3 Verthunder,
    4 Corps-a-corps,
    5 Veraero,
    6 Verfire,
    7 Verstone,
    8 Zwerchhau,
    9 Displacement,
    10 Fleche,
    11 Redoublement,
    12 Acceleration,
    13 Contre Sixte,
    14 Embolden,
    15 Manafication,
    16 Engagement,
    17 Reprise.

Additionaly i for my aoe rotation i need:
    18 Scatter,
    19 Verthunder II,
    20 Veraero II,
    21 Moulinet.

That is not really taking extra 4 skills from role, which at least 2 (Addle and Surecast) should be also binded for single target.

So yes, Red Mage, newbie friendly job single target rotation consist of 17 buttons. I can see droping this number by 3 (dmg cd) but hey, they are part of both opener and rotation

Skills i need to keybind for my single target rotation:
    1 Riposte,
    2 Jolt,
    3 Verthunder,
    4 Corps-a-corps,
    5 Veraero,
    6 Verfire,
    7 Verstone,
    8 Zwerchhau,
    9 Displacement,
    10 Fleche,
    11 Redoublement,
    12 Acceleration,
    13 Contre Sixte,
    14 Embolden,
    15 Manafication,
    16 Engagement,
    17 Reprise.

Additionaly i for my aoe rotation i need:
    18 Scatter,
    19 Verthunder II,
    20 Veraero II,
    21 Moulinet.

That is not really taking extra 4 skills from role, which at least 2 (Addle and Surecast) should be also binded for single target.

So yes, Red Mage, newbie friendly job single target rotation consist of 17 buttons. I can see droping this number by 3 (dmg cd) but hey, they are part of both opener and rotation
    a lot of those would count as situational not rotational though. just because you front load some cd's(damage,utility and mobility) in your opener does not mean they're part of your rotation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    Great. And what should i do with this comment, how is this relevant to me or my comment? I don't even own a controller and newer will.
    You were the one saying controllers can’t or shouldn’t be used(or at least heavily implying it) my comments to show you were wrong about that. As most players know and that in many ways a controller can be simpler/better to use. At least if used to them.

The full details were for anyone wanting tips on setting up a controller for anyone interested(and to show how easy it is to have access to all abilities and more)

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    a lot of those would count as situational not rotational though. just because you front load some cd's(damage,utility and mobility) in your opener does not mean they're part of your rotation.
    Oh but they are. They are dps cd. Are you saying you dont use dps cd in your rotation?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    You were the one saying controllers can’t or shouldn’t be used(or at least heavily implying it) my comments to show you were wrong about that. As most players know and that in many ways a controller can be simpler/better to use. At least if used to them.

The full details were for anyone wanting tips on setting up a controller for anyone interested(and to show how easy it is to have access to all abilities and more)
    Played on ps and i can attest - controller is great. The only thing i struggled with was targeting and quick switching targets.

Oh but they are. They are dps cd. Are you saying you dont use dps cd in your rotation?
    Engagement and Reprise are niche use abilities so that's already 2 abilities you don't need to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Search for XIVLauncher. I provides a built in interface to install plugins with one of them being a combo mod. So far it works flawlessly to me because I know that using multiple abilities in the same macro leads to delays for some reason.
    Got it! Thanks for the help. Even just this launcher is a god send because i always forget my password lol

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Played on ps and i can attest - controller is great. The only thing i struggled with was targeting and quick switching targets.
    One trick is to use left/right for enemies and up/down for allies. You can also customize it to only target say enemies or npcs if the weapons drawn or sheathed which should make it a bit easier(my apologies if you know all this already)

- - - Updated - - -

do you consider forward/back/strafe left/strafe right part of your rotation also?

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    Yeah, there is your problem. I mean, i get it, it's playable on Ps3/Ps4 but come on... it's an MMO, get a keyboard and a mouse.

But to be more constructive: dig into macros. Most classes can reduce their buttons by macroing stuff together. For example on my bard i macroed my dps CDs to the song they should be used with, then macroed all my instant spells in a single macro. This gives me 6 less buttons to press

Try to read the post next time first, not just the title. He plays with a controller
    some of the top parses in the world use controller. its no detriment at all, kbm have no inherent benefit in ffxiv. so its just whatever the person is better with. for the most part, its only low skill players that try to macro dps abilities/skills in ffxiv, you should basically never macro anything together if you care about performance.

for instance if you actually made the macro you said you did, you are triple weaving and losing dps. in addition bard is proc based for 2 songs, so if you macro your ogcd abilities you will mess up the rotation. horrible idea.
    Last edited by The Oblivion; 2021-08-27 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    Take for example White mage, I got cure 1(single targe) cure 2(single target+) Cure 3(for some reason targeted AOE)... and it frustrates me because it seems so unnecessary since there is the Medica line of spells which are AOE.
    There's some nuance there, though. You don't use Cure I once you get Cure II unless you get downsynced. Fishing for "free" Cure II procs is a trap/noob bait. You don't use Medica I much once you get Medica II and eventually you get an AOE heal (Afflatus Rapture? maybe) that is always preferable. So you do eventually develop a "core rotation" mentality after certain content. Cure III is super powerful, but you need to use it while everyone is stacked or it loses a lot of its potency. I mean honestly if you want to meme it, White Mage has a 3 button rotation if you don't count swift casting raise on the person you let die because you couldn't stop Glare and Holy spam.

You might benefit from watching some guides (wesk albers, FFXIVMomo) and checking out SaltedXIV. I believe Icy Veins is ramping up a FF14 portion of their site which could be REALLY good because it would be nice to have all that info in one spot. There's some things about healing in FF14 that are different from WoW, at it's core I find it to be similar but there's a mentality shift that has to be adjusted for.

For "easier" classes: Bard plays most like a WoW class, IMO. It is mostly proc-based with some cool-down management in keeping your songs rolling. It's also very mobile like the rest of the ranged physical DPS. Red Mage is also pretty straight-forward and mobile for a caster. You do your ST or AOE rotation, burn your melee combo and reset. So you do have a lot of buttons, but they're broken down into understandable phases and "if, then" scenarios.

Honestly, most of the classes are broken into ST and AOE rotations so they don't really use more than 8-10 buttons for a particular kind of encounter. I wouldn't count their role actions or utility spells against them.

EDIT: Don't macro shit together as someone suggested. You can actually really fuck up your performance that way. I'm not talking mouse over macros, I'm talking macros for your DPS rotation. There are videos about why it's bad and what it does to your performance but the gist is that macros cannot account for .5 second increments, only whole seconds. Your GCD is actually 2.5 seconds. You are losing time on every cast and over the course of a fight that will add up to flat-out lost DPS. Also, macros cannot be queued either, so if you're a healer or a dps that needs to move, you cannot slide cast at all which is a huge drop in dps and efficiency.
    Last edited by Lahkesis; 2021-08-27 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Engagement and Reprise are niche use abilities so that's already 2 abilities you don't need to worry about.
    engagement is used on CD if playing optimally. its not niche. reprise/displacement are the same, used on cd.

10+ Year Old Account
    RDM, BRD, MCH, PLD, GNB, DNC, NIN, SAM, and BLM all have rather simple rotations. The longest rotation is, I think, DRG and even that's less than 10 buttons.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!