Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I don't and nobody should be forced to serve you by paying all your expenses... You should spend the (hypothetical) monthly $100 on food and not rent...
    Nobody is being "forced" to "serve" anyone; this would be funded through taxation.

$100 won't cover food, either.

Kudos on stating openly that your policy would foster and support homelessness, though. Odd to see you rip the mask off quite that cleanly.

- - - Updated - - -

We should still tolerate Yang and his political movement even if we're skeptical of his ideas.
    This is also a pretty dishonest take.

Everyone shitting on Yang for having bad ideas and that his policy arguments are weak is the marketplace freely reacting to his ideas. The "marketplace of ideas" is not some protected space where all arguments are given equal treatment regardless of their strength or validity. It's where heavy criticism is leveled against every idea to test it thoroughly, so that only the best and most resilient ideas survive that marketplace.

You've completely missed the point of the metaphor. The entire point is if you bring a shitty product (idea) to the market, you don't sell anything because everyone can see how terrible your product (idea) is. It is no guarantee of civility or acceptance. You're not owed anything by the market. If your ideas don't hold up, that marketplace will ruin you, and rightfully so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Tell me you prefer maintaining the status quo without explicitly saying you prefer maintaining the status quo.

Sometimes radical change is necessary yo.
    "Maybe we should try freeing just the house slaves, and keep the field slaves working. Let's emancipate incrementally."

That's just a pro-slavery stance. It isn't some fancy middle ground.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a great idea, hopefully he takes Gabbard, Manchin and Sinema along with him, seriously. As for it hurting 2022 or 2024, it will likely have an impact on Trump either way. The DNC should take the time to clean house and get candidates that will actually fight and distinguish the principles of the Democratic Party Liberal and Left.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    If PC2 thinks it's a good idea we can all rest assured it isn't.

Given that this is all about him and his ego I'm willing to bet his third party isn't going to look at local school boards, water reclamation districts, etc. for his starting point.

He's just going to alienate what Dem support he had and it isn't like the GOP will embrace him as a third party. He's all alone.
    If you think PC2 is being sincere then you really haven't been paying attention, if PC2 embraces UBI then there is typically a political cost. I am in no way meaning that as an insult or calling PC2 a Liar, but his motives are pretty Transparent not giving a fuck about anyone but himself.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    If you think PC2 is being sincere then you really haven't been paying attention, if PC2 embraces UBI then there is typically a political cost. I am in no way meaning that as an insult or calling PC2 a Liar, but his motives are pretty Transparent not giving a fuck about anyone but himself.
    My support for UBI was only in an incremental context though. Start at a realistic number like 100 then make it scale with inflation and economic growth. It can just keep doubling forever.

Or just stick with traditional welfare. It won't make that much of a difference either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    And? It's not a food program. It's just a guaranteed $100 per month. Use it for whatever or don't even claim it since it's just $100 for a person who might need it.
    If you don't want to hear how useless your idea is then have less useless ideas.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    He's libertarian and he voted for Trump. Considering some of what he believes in...he's a good metric for knowing to go in any other direction than his.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    If you don't want to hear how useless your idea is then have less useless ideas.
    Okay, if you're impatient and want "all or nothing" when it comes to UBI then I think it'll just be nothing. Nobody is actually serious about implementing $1k UBI, except for maybe a couple rich oil states where the numbers work.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-09-10 at 09:40 PM.

Okay, if you're impatient and want "all or nothing" when it comes to UBI then I think it'll just be nothing. Nobody is actually serious about implementing $1k UBI, except for maybe a couple rich oil states where the numbers work.
    No such thing ss a "rich oil state."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No such thing ss a "rich oil state."
    Norway is the only one I can think of that might come close,but all the others are burning money faster than they can earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    Norway is the only one I can think of that might come close,but all the others are burning money faster than they can earn it.
    His post referred to the US states. (Trump supporter...he wouldn't know much else beyond US borders. And Norway is positively wealthy in comparison to red-state USA)

My support for UBI was only in an incremental context though. Start at a realistic number like 100 then make it scale with inflation and economic growth. It can just keep doubling forever.

Or just stick with traditional welfare. It won't make that much of a difference either way.
    Doubling? Like 100 is 200 the next year? Sounds cool, except for minor detail of it becoming 51 grand a month inside 10 years, and 1.6m a month in 15 years. 52.4m in 20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

This is the past, present and future path of Yang :

Democratic Presidential Nominee - Failed to win
    Mayor of NY - Failed to win
    Third Party - Failed to win
    Dancing with the stars - Failed to win

10+ Year Old Account
    Ill wait to see if he has the strength of will to actually do this, and doesn't do like Sanders, hop out his party every 4 years to run as a democrat to crib their resources, then bounce out the moment he doesn't have a path forward anymore.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    His post referred to the US states. (Trump supporter...he wouldn't know much else beyond US borders. And Norway is positively wealthy in comparison to red-state USA)
    Yeah,that makes sense,I have PC2 on ignore due to the sheer amount brain dead stupidity he keeps posting.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    Ill wait to see if he has the strength of will to actually do this, and doesn't do like Sanders, hop out his party every 4 years to run as a democrat to crib their resources, then bounce out the moment he doesn't have a path forward anymore.
    If we are lucky, he will do like Sanders did and run in primaries as a Democrat and then only run in the general if he wins to ensure he doesn’t split the vote.

If we are unlucky, he will run as a full 3rd party in a system that isn’t designed to handle more than 2 parties and then splits the votes helping Republicans get seats against the will of the people.

The question is, “Which is bigger, his ego or his ethics?”
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    This is the past, present and future path of Yang :

Democratic Presidential Nominee - Failed to win
    Mayor of NY - Failed to win
    Third Party - Failed to win
    Dancing with the stars - Failed to win
    This shouldn't be so funny to me but it is.
    Reminds me of Ed Balls.

OT: Didn't Michael Steele try something like this with his purple party thing?
    I can't remember if it was just a pac or group or actual party.

Also, remember Nader and how well that went.

America isn't set up for 3 parties.
    Shame we can't have coalitions here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    If we are lucky, he will do like Sanders did and run in primaries as a Democrat and then only run in the general if he wins to ensure he doesn’t split the vote.

If we are unlucky, he will run as a full 3rd party in a system that isn’t designed to handle more than 2 parties and then splits the votes helping Republicans get seats against the will of the people.

The question is, “Which is bigger, his ego or his ethics?”
    Luckily I don't think Yang is popular enough to be a noticeable spoiler. He's no Bernie.

That being said, with as much as the republicans love voter suppression and gerrymandering, any little chunk taken away from a prospective democrat candidate can indeed be damaging.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Doesn’t come close to a month’s worth of food.
    if only machismo was here he could share his recipes for beans on toast and spaghetti + tomato ketchup, teach you heathens something about budgeting, nutrition, cooking and looking after your family

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    Yeah,that makes sense,I have PC2 on ignore due to the sheer amount brain dead stupidity he keeps posting.
    Fine by me. I ignored people in the past but then I couldn't point out a flaw in their argument because I couldn't even see their argument anymore. So it seemed counter-productive from that perspective, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have no basis whatsoever for claiming the funding can't work out. You're making that shit up.

https://www.ft.com/content/927d28e0-...c-9122541af204

Half-assing a thing is just an excuse to declare it hasn't worked and cancel it down the line.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Worse idea ever.

edit: third party from the liberal side is worst idea ever - UBI is fantastic. Just so we're clear.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-09-11 at 01:36 AM.