10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    there was no PvE and pvp was mandatory.
    Pvp is mandatory?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    Pvp is mandatory?
    WAS - the game had no real PvE content (dungeons etc) and no trinity (from memory) so was overlooked by a LOT of people. Now it is no longer "mandatory" and there is a lot more to do outside of pvp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    PVE is basically the same from lvl 5 to lvl 60. Even doing exploration you came across basically the same tilesets, same enemies, same loops.

There's potential for some cool instances down the line, or they could all be variations of the same thing - that's up to Amazon's effort and creativity.

The PVP, survival, a frontier sim is where it's at. I think where they messed was trying to be a full scale MMORPG instead of multiplayer survival game (Ark, Rust, AOC, etc). They have the systems could yearly take off on private/dedicated servers where you can really make the game come alive. The town system, the economy, crafting, gathering, all scream survival pvp/RP gameplay.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    PVE is basically the same from lvl 5 to lvl 60. Even doing exploration you came across basically the same tilesets, same enemies, same loops.

There's potential for some cool instances down the line, or they could all be variations of the same thing - that's up to Amazon's effort and creativity.
    The logical result of making a PvP game and then bolting on some PvE last minute.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

If you are looking for "single-player mmo" this will definitely not be your game, most of the magic comes from player interactions and your experience will be different from server to server... at least with how the game is now. Not saying this is "good" or "bad" its just how it is, if you want a more story-driven instanced-content game i suggest to keep looking.

A game does not need to be for everyone (but it does need to be good for the public they are aiming)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The logical result of making a PvP game and then bolting on some PvE last minute.
    Isn't that basically what Warhammer Online was? I remember it being mostly PvP instances and RvR type sieges, and there was some kind of PvE there (one raid, bastion stair i think), but it felt insignificant compared to the PvP component of the game.

Tried the beta until I reached lvl 10. Seems allright enough. Surprised on how heavily focused it is on crafting.

Im tempted and will probably buy it and play it casually to 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyvax View Post
    Isn't that basically what Warhammer Online was? I remember it being mostly PvP instances and RvR type sieges, and there was some kind of PvE there (one raid, bastion stair i think), but it felt insignificant compared to the PvP component of the game.

That's a bit difficult to compare considering how old the game was and the technical limitations and all that stuff and how everything was "new" in game design.

It's been so long since I played Warhammer Online, but what I do remember is that open world PvP was huge, and sieges were a thing but you'd actually roam around a lot as well and do "open world battlegrounds". Especially early on...
    The PvE parts were open world focused as well and basically PvPvE. Later on, it was basically like it had "elite quests" all over the place
    Then when Land of the Dead (Tomb Kings) released, there was another dungeon as well, I think.

It's a bit weird overall, because the first zones in Warhammer Online were pretty well done and filled to the brim with stuff to do, the later ones, not so much... on top of that, it was harder to do as well and you had less players going there, which meant you would visit instanced content to level up and farm renown (or whatever it was called).

It's like.. there was too much effort into it to be considered an afterthought, but clumsily implemented, so you'd think it was never meant to have PvE endgame. Just go to the first zone as Order for example.. that stuff was fun with the World Events and stuff like that, the problem is, these world events were way too hard later on and couldn't be done solo anymore.
    And when the playerbase shrinks, that means no one is doing that content - so you aren't as well, and that means no one is doing any PvE anymore.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-09-13 at 02:03 PM.

I have not played in the Alpha or closed Beta at all. I saw some gameplay videos and didn't seem like much...

I installed the game on the second day of Open beta and went into ii expecting to totally not like it but I said I'll give it a go, just to put my mind to ease that it's rubbish.

I was sooo wrong... I actually enjoyed it very much while reaching level 18; I took my time, exploring, spending a lot of time on gathering and crafting.
    The combat system is absolutely fine, I love that fact that it's not button mashing. The only animation that is not up to par is the jump which should be higher imo.
    I like the system where you have 2 weapons with 3 abilities each; this makes you choose your builds much more carefully, pair the active abilities with the relevant passives - it could result in some interesting and varied builds.
    I personally played 1h sword+shield and rifle and I absolutely loved it. No unlimited ammunition is a plus imo.
    Having the ability to craft my own gear is a huge plus.
    The gathering and crafting system is huge and a lot of people with enjoy this side of the game. I liked it very much. Also love how they've done the fishing.
    I haven't touched the PvP at all yet so cannot comment on it.
    Hopefully there will be mounts in the game at some point as they are very much needed imo.

My wife played it as well for 2 days and she thought it's amazing. She's mostly interested in the crafting/gathering and PvE side of the game.
    As the graphic card in her PC packed recently, we had to buy a temporary one - got a GT1030 with 2Gb (until the prices return to "normal"), only has a small radiator on it and it's pretty much one of the lower end cards you can get; the game was perfectly playable at 1920x1200 on Low settings... I had a laugh, I thought the game will not even load. So the game is not that badly optimized after all, like some ppl are complaining about.

I've seen a lot of people in game complaining about the Trade Post (Auction House) saying it's badly made and confusing... I had absolutely no issues, found it simple and quite intuitive.
    The same people asking how do you open your inventory when it says in caps, under the bag - TAB - and it's literally a big pop-up telling you what buttons to press when you first enter the game. I honestly don't know how these people survive and get along in real life...
    It also means that a lot of opinions and misleading reviews on the internet are just rubbish and super-subjective because some people are <insert adjective>.

I did encounter a few sound bugs and pop-ups not disappearing but nothing ground breaking.

I also think that a lot of people/gamers are very entitled nowadays... some of you might remember how much we've traveled on foot back in 2005 in WoW until we got enough money to buy the first mount and we loved it, there were barely any complaints, it was all part of the experience. I like to know I've earned something, not everything being handed to me on a plate; it makes things more meaningful.

Overall, I very much liked New World and for a non-sub game, I think it's well worth the £34.99 price tag. I bought many games for that price and I finished them in a few days. At least this will get me playing months+, perhaps.

My biggest fear is that they might ruin it with a greedy cash shop... I hope I'm wrong. It they stick to only cosmetics, all good from my side; as long as it doesn't affect player power in game, I'm not bothered.

Ofc people have different opinions and like different things... all I can honestly say is that I liked it and will be buying 2 copies of it when it's out.
    “There is no right or wrong, only consequences.”
    -------------------------------------------------

Pre-ordered!!! Watched actual game-play videos, reviewers are too critical but in the same breath tell you how they can't stop playing it, do we need to know anything else?

Huge World
    Integral Crafting
    Exploration
    Gathering
    Classless
    Skill based progression

Hmm weird, this is sounding more and more like what did they use to call those games, ummm, oh right a mmorpg, as in a real MMORPG. I'm all in.
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

Quite a few members from my wow guild tried the beta and really enjoyed New World and after reading some of the feedback maybe i will give it ago

I played the beta till level 10 but for me it's boring. At start a kinda liked it. I like the skill progression like in Dungeon Siege game. Also I liked crafting but thats all about it. Combat for me looked nice for maybe 4 levels, then I realized its so repetitive. I checked the weapon trees and this don't change much. Even weapon swap does not make this more interesting because it basically looked same way.

Alot of people gonna enjoy it but it's a game not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorka View Post
    Quite a few members from my wow guild tried the beta and really enjoyed New World and after reading some of the feedback maybe i will give it ago
    It's not like its totally bad game, it's just mediocre in everything and content is scarce. I'd say it needs another year of development till it may become enjoyable. Simply put it will become boring really fast.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

It's not like its totally bad game, it's just mediocre in everything and content is scarce. I'd say it needs another year of development till it may become enjoyable. Simply put it will become boring really fast.
    Maybe you can post the same opinion another 10 times in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    WAS - the game had no real PvE content (dungeons etc) and no trinity (from memory) so was overlooked by a LOT of people. Now it is no longer "mandatory" and there is a lot more to do outside of pvp.
    When was this? I been playing since alpha and never had mandatory PVP other than one intro quest to PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    When was this? I been playing since alpha and never had mandatory PVP other than one intro quest to PVP.
    You REALLY need to read things more carefully - I stated that it had "no real PvE content" such as dungeons, and no true trinity, but it did have a lot of pvp – it was the core gameplay at endgame. I put mandatory in quotation marks to acknowledge that is what the previous person said, but I don’t actually agree it was ever mandatory. You would have had next to nothing to do if you didn’t pvp though.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont know about the boring part, but, I do agree its just not there yet - the dramatic shift in gameplay mid development was the right thing to do imo, but it has really hurt them. Now its part pve game, part pvp game, and doesnt have a lot of content for either. I will play it since there is no sub, so i will feel more relaxed just coming and going as i please, but im betting it will be middle of next year at least before it really starts to show what it can do.

This is assuming they have a robust release schedule of new content lined up and already being worked on in the background, and they get on top of all the bugs to ensure they can focus on new content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

I spent 5 months bashing this game, expecting it to be total garbage based on everything I had heard about it and seen of it in videos. Friend convinced me to buy it for the closed beta by telling me I could just refund it after. I can 100% say I was wrong about it. It's a lot of fun and I'm really excited to play on launch. I don't think the game will be for everyone and it's not as polished as you'd expect from a company that essentially has unlimited resources (seriously, no swimming?) but it's definitely fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    A looong time ago, before they did the gameplay overhaul. When I playtested it at AGS, it was basically a pvp game. But this was like... two? three? years ago at this point.

In any case, I assume that's what people are talking about since they are speaking in the past tense.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I dont know about the boring part, but, I do agree its just not there yet - the dramatic shift in gameplay mid development was the right thing to do imo, but it has really hurt them. Now its part pve game, part pvp game, and doesnt have a lot of content for either. I will play it since there is no sub, so i will feel more relaxed just coming and going as i please, but im betting it will be middle of next year at least before it really starts to show what it can do.

This is assuming they have a robust release schedule of new content lined up and already being worked on in the background, and they get on top of all the bugs to ensure they can focus on new content.
    It was a good decision, good thing to see them making big changes and not giving a fuck "what makes sense" or "what team thinks is best".

Like I said couple pages back, they will "win" if they can pump out content fast and not abandon game after release or make extremely long content patches cycle. It doesn't have to be perfect after launch, all they need to do is to show they care (with actions, not words).
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    A looong time ago, before they did the gameplay overhaul. When I playtested it at AGS, it was basically a pvp game. But this was like... two? three? years ago at this point.
    Hmm
    In any case, I assume that's what people are talking about since they are speaking in the past tense.
    Hmm. I played this game since it was in early development. Not as a random player either; Amazon was a client of the marketing firm I work for. I played this when it was an internal test essentially. I can not recall any mandatory PVP except for those early intro quests.

I suspected the poster was using some language I think is ruinous.

You REALLY need to read things more carefully - I stated that it had "no real PvE content" such as dungeons, and no true trinity, but it did have a lot of pvp – it was the core gameplay at endgame. I put mandatory in quotation marks to acknowledge that is what the previous person said, but I don’t actually agree it was ever mandatory. You would have had next to nothing to do if you didn’t pvp though.
    I did and framed my reply intently. Because of the qualifier of "real PVE"- which is silly.