Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Post Unoffical Playable Ethereal Discussion Thread

This thread is dedicated to discussing the possibility of playable Ethereal, as well as Ethereal in general, and all the things they might come with if they are to be playable. Such as customization and new lore.

**Content**
    Ethereal Lore
    Ethereal Culture
    Which faction?
    Emotes and Voice-Lines
    The Dance Emote
    Racial Banner and Tabard
    Racial Leader
    Racial Capital
    Potential Classes
    The Female Model
    Customization options
    Racials
    Ethereal Heritage Armor and Mount
    Ethereal and Shadowlands
    My personal interest in Ethereal

1. **Ethereal Lore - What we know so far.**

Ethereals are native to the planet K'aresh, which was assaulted by the Void Lord Dimensius. In an attempt to defend themselves, one of the mortal races on the planet partially succeeded in constructing magical barriers around their cities. Arcane energies brought onto the planet during the assault made it through the barriers, and tore away the mortals' corporeal shells and infusing their souls with enough energy so that they could barely subsist without a body. They came to call themselves ethereals, and bound themselves with enchanted strips of cloth to provide their souls with enough structure to survive. This became a blessing, as it enhanced their minds and magical abilities. The ethereals would fight back against Dimensius, but due to his power growing over time the ethereals fled K'aresh.

Ethereal society would fracture into several factions overtime: First was the Ethereum, holding the ruling council of Nexus-Princes, which became dark and twisting in their obsession for vengeance. A Nexus-Prince that left the Ethereum would go on to form the Protectorate, the duty of which was to stop the Ethereum in their destructive path. Lastly is the Consortium, another offshoot group made of smugglers, traders, and thieves, that aid the Protectorate in their endeavors.

We first come into contact with the ethereals in The Burning Crusade, as both friend and foe. They are found throughout Outland, and we encounter all three groups. The main objective of the Ethereum on Outland was to use the manaforged of Netherstorm to become Void, but their efforts were thwarted by the Protectorate. We also help out the Consortium which came to Outland to benefit from its riches.

In Wrath of the Lich king we see the ethereals again. The Ethereum negotiated an accord with Malygos and the blue dragonflight during the Nexus War. This connection was used in a second attempt to become Void years later.

In Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria, groups of ethereals came to offer many of their new technologies and services.

In Legion, the accord with Malygos is revealed. He promised the Ethereum access to his dragonflight's treasures. The Ethereum, in their quest to become Void, were using the surge needles in Coldarra to call up Void energies from the Twisting Nether. With the help of the blue dragon Azuregos, we defeat the Ethereum leader. We later discover a group of Void ethereal called the Shadowguard, a group of Ethereum that succeeded in their quest, and their objective was to call the Void to Mac'Aree. Additionally, after the creation of the Void elves at the hands of the Netherguard Void ethereal group, we see that some ethereals join the Void elves in Telogrus Rift. A Void ethereal takes interest in us during the Trial of Style as well.

Lastly we come to Battle for Azeroth, where members of the Consortium provide portals to Shattrath City and continue teaching the void elves. Additionally, a Void ethereal sends another Void ethereal to the Brawler's Guild to study us.

2. **Ethereal Culture**

Ethereals are loosely based on pre-Islamic Arabia. They also have a resemblance to mummies found in Egypt, an Arab nation.

The ethereals are driven by trade and economics, and accordingly, their political structures are centered around trade princes and political "companies".

They are similar to goblins, in the way their political systems work, and like the goblins, the ethereals will support anyone who would further their profits, and oppose anyone who dares interfere with their plans. They also share in the goblins' propensity for technology, though their technology appears to be far more powerful and otherworldly.

Ethereals are known to be collectors and traders of arcane items and artifacts. They are liars and scoundrels who will stop at nothing to pursue their mysterious aims.

3. **Which faction?**

There is likely to be much disagreement on this, especially considering how sought after this race is to play. Regardless of backlash, and with much debate, I have reached the conclusion that ethereals would be an Alliance race. However, there is still a very slim chance the race could be neutral.

**So. Why the Alliance?**
    We are all well aware that the Horde and Alliance both have relatively equal interaction with the ethereals throughout the game. In recent encounters however, this interaction has been more and more focused on by the Alliance. With the addition of void elves, that creates a direct link into the ethereals joining. Additionally, the Horde already have a money and technology loving race with the goblins so giving ethereals to the Alliance would balance the scale.

4. **Emotes and Voice-Lines**

Many people may be unaware, but ethereals have both male AND female voice lines. Due to ethereals being as old as they are, there are several expansions worth of voice-lines available.

While the race has very few emotes, they do still have a foundation to build from for their old and new models alike.

5. **The Dance Emote**

This took me a while to figure out, and I by no means consider this to be a final draft decision.

I think the best choice of dance would be using a pop-culture reference rather than a cultural dance. While researching some options, most of the cultural dances used partners and the primary one that didn't (belly dancing) I could not logically tie to ethereals.

In conclusion, I believe their dances should be a copy of the StarCraft 2 Zealot/Adept/High Templar dances. Males and Females can have the same dance, or pick 2 out of the 3.

6. **Ethereal Racial Banner and Tabard**

The most likely faction of ethereals that would become playable would be the Consortium. An updated model is all that would be necessary, as well as changing the red background to be purple to match their partnership with the void elves.

7. **Racial Leader**

There are quite a few candidates for this position.

Primary Candidate: Nexus-Prince Haramad
    He is the last living Nexus-Prince and therefore the heir to becoming Nexus-King.

Another option is either Locus-Walker or Shadreen as they are the ones allied with the void elves. However, the process for "unlocking" ethereals could involve either of them locating Nexus-Prince Haramad and appointing him Nexus-King.

8. **Racial Capital**

This one is quite simple really. The Consortium resides in the Stormspire located in Netherstorm. As this is their base of operations, it can remain as their racial capital.

9. **Potential Classes**

The available classes for ethereals is very much already clear and set in stone.

**Rogue**
    **Warrior**
    **Mage**
    **Hunter**
    **Priest**
    **Warlock**
    **Tinker** - If this were ever added.

10. **The Female Model**

We already know that both sexes do in fact exist, and there are a handful of NPCs and voice-lines to prove it. However, the sexual dimorphism is a bit lacking. This isn't an issue though. One simple solution that Blizzard has already sided with is adding breasts to their chest pieces like other races already do. While that piece is un-equipped, their bandages and energy would slightly bulge outwards where their breasts would be.

Here is an example done in Hearthstone:

Androgyny is not a bad thing! An androgynous race could fit well for players that are non binary, prefer an androgynous look, and much more! Besides, the argument of needing clear differences went out the window with Vulpera.

11. **Customization Options**

All of what I'll be listing is what we currently have available through NPCs.

**Cloth Colors:**
    * White
    * Silver
    * Dark Purple
    * Light Brown
    * Dark Grey
    * Pale Green

**Soul Color:**
    * Void
    * Light Red
    * Magenta
    * Blue-Purple
    * White
    * Dark Magenta
    * Pale Green
    * Pale Blue

**Wrap Style:**
    Various ethereal NPCs have different ways that they are wrapped in cloth.

For example, some have a single strand cross their face diagonally, some leave that section completely exposed, and some completely covered.

As another example, some ethereals have the chest wrapped in various ways, and some leave most of their chest exposed.

My last example I'll list goes back to faces. If the face is completely covered, a glowing pair of eyes the same color selected for their soul could bleed though. It would essentially be the same effect Demon Hunters have access to for one of their blindfolds. A Hearthstone character has this option, and an image is shown below.

**Accessories:**
    While there are almost no accessories, one that some ethereal players may like the option to have depending on their preference for old vs new ethereals is claws.

The new ethereals have metallic claws attached to the tips of their fingers. This can be made as a toggle in their customization.

12. **Racials**

Drawing from what we know once again, here are my suggestions:

**Translocator** - An ability similar to the Vulpera Camp racials.
    Allows for them to save a location, and using the ability again teleports them back to it.

**Phase Shift** - Passive. Takes less damage while moving.
    If anyone has ever seen ethereals while they move, they leave behind fake copies of themselves that quickly blink out of existence. Them moving would cause the enemy to strike at false targets and therefore explain taking less damage. It would by no means by significant, just a 1% reduction for flavor.

**Negotiator** - Passive 5% price reduction on buying vendor good. As well as potentially a 5% increase on selling goods.

**Bottomless Storage** - Passively increases your bag space by 10.

13. **Ethereal Heritage Armor and Racial Mount**

Anything from the new ethereal models would work well.
    Here is a good option from Hearthstone:

As for their racial mount, I suggest this from Hearthstone

* 13.5. **Armor**

Here are some examples as to how armor would appear on an Ethereal player. These images are of NPCs which doesn't equip armor the same way as the player model, but this is simply to provide viewers with an idea as to how it looks.

Ethereal:

Void Ethereal:

14. **Ethereals and Shadowlands**

There's no question at this point that there is some link between the Ethereals and Brokers. Their societies are very similar, as well as their design. It's possible Brokers are what happens when an ethereal dies and enters the Shadowlands. That, or brokers are what business focused races become when sent to a merchant style afterlife realm.

15. **My personal interest in Ethereal**

I first started playing WoW at the tail end of The Burning Crusade, and it was when I first encountered them in Outland where my love for them began.

I have the Ethereal Soul-Trader, and have farmed the armor set on all of my characters throughout the years. Unfortunately, because the armor is white quality it can't be used for transmog.

Please consider submitting an in game suggestion for Ethereal. This can be done by: In Game Menu -> Support - > Submit feedback or bug report.
    If you're interested, I recently finished creating a Discord for this group: https://discord.gg/MKzZUdyauY
    Ethereals are unfortunately not as popular of a request compared to some other races, but I've included an arcade section to help members pass the time while we wait for further information. A link to my US WoW forum thread can also be found within the Discord.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I know a while back we had a fan expansion idea, I wanna say for the Ethereal homeworld K'aresh, which had some really cool artwork for them and even included female Ethereals. There were different types of bandages, color/glow for the internal bits, Egyptian death masks for the 'faces', and even 'hair' options. It was really cool. I think it might've been Golden Yak's "Into the Void" expansion, but for some reason I can't find any of the art anymore...

They shall be Alliance.

The only named Ethereal right now is Locus-Walker, who is Alleria's teacher and is training the Ren'dorei in Telogrus Rift.

The Ren'dorei, Umbric's followers, were almost turned into monsters akin to the Ethereals, and one of their passive abilities literally highlights their affinity with the Ethereals, which grants them a discount percentage when dealing with Ethereal merchants.

The Ethereals shall be brought into the Alliance by Alleria, who is Locus-Walker's student and friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eventually it will happen.

This game has a dozen more expansions to go easy. Eventually we will have just about everything people fantasize about.

5+ Year Old Account
    My dream. This is beautiful! They are kinda void erm … beings but still I find them so damn interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    They shall be Alliance.

The only named Ethereal right now is Locus-Walker, who is Alleria's teacher and is training the Ren'dorei in Telogrus Rift.

The Ren'dorei, Umbric's followers, were almost turned into monsters akin to the Ethereals, and one of their passive abilities literally highlights their affinity with the Ethereals, which grants them a discount percentage when dealing with Ethereal merchants.

The Ethereals shall be brought into the Alliance by Alleria, who is Locus-Walker's student and friend.
    Those are void ethereals though.

If we get regular, standard ethereals as a playable race, they'll no doubt be neutral solely because A) that's their whole thing, just like goblins (who are only Horde because regular goblins had prior connections with the Horde and it plays into the story of the goblin starting zone), and B) playable ethereals will most likely originate from the Consortium / Protectorate, who resent the Ethereum - aka other void ethereals with an "ends justify the means" mindset strikingly similar to that of the ren'dorei - just as much as they would Alleria & Umbric's void-flinging possy

Ethereals should be Neutral. They have interacted with both factions too heavily to only be available to one. Locus-Walker would lead the alliance ones obviously with a new character to lead the horde ethereal.

I also think they'd should be paladins as they loath the void, given it destroyed their home world.

Then in the same expansion, give the horse Ogres and Arrakoa for the Alliance. 3 new core races would be so nice.
    Last edited by Varx; 2021-09-20 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I know a while back we had a fan expansion idea, I wanna say for the Ethereal homeworld K'aresh, which had some really cool artwork for them and even included female Ethereals. There were different types of bandages, color/glow for the internal bits, Egyptian death masks for the 'faces', and even 'hair' options. It was really cool. I think it might've been Golden Yak's "Into the Void" expansion, but for some reason I can't find any of the art anymore...
    Lol, I came into the thread to specifically post "No one better suggest masks."

I think it completely ruins their look and the whole uniqueness of not having a specific face, it's also totally unnecessary. There are plenty of cosmetic options to be had without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    Ethereals should be Neutral. They have interacted with both factions too heavily to only be available to one. Locus-Walker would lead the alliance ones obviously with a new character to lead the horde ethereal.
    You say that, but I mean... Nightborne.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Lol, I came into the thread to specifically post "No one better suggest masks."

I think it completely ruins their look and the whole uniqueness of not having a specific face, it's also totally unnecessary. There are plenty of cosmetic options to be had without them.

I think masks are fine as a cosmetic option, so long as there's plenty of other options, like bandages, or fog, or different energy glow, or a black and empty void, etc. There's nothing wrong with having lots of options, y'know?

- - - Updated - - -

They shall be Alliance.

Incorrect. There are plenty of named Ethereals from TBC, or Transmog NPCs, or the guys who did Void Storage, and so on.

That was one expansion. Plus The NB got a lot of crap from the Nelves during legion and related / found common ground with the struggles of the belves and the sunwell.

Ethereals have been interacting with the Alliance and Horde equally since TBC. So makes sense they'd be neutral. Plus they're too awesome and unique of a race to not get the panda treatment.
    Last edited by Varx; 2021-09-20 at 06:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edlarel View Post
    Ethereals for alliance, brokers for horde. Easy peasy.
    Not easy peasy, since ethereal are neutral and brokers are evil.

Ethereal can easily go to both factions, brokers can only swing towards Alliance.
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2021-09-20 at 07:04 PM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I think masks are fine as a cosmetic option, so long as there's plenty of other options, like bandages, or fog, or different energy glow, or a black and empty void, etc. There's nothing wrong with having lots of options, y'know?
    There's nothing wrong with more options when those options make sense, but here I just feel like it's fundamentally at odds with their identity. Like giving Lightforged a Man'ari skintone, or giving hypothetical Naga a "legs" option.

Part of the entire visual/conceptual identity of the Ethereal is that they are formless energy beings loosely given humanoid impression by their wrappings, the lack of face gives them that mysterious ghost/spirit impression (that's the whole reason they use loose bandages rather than going the living armor route). But when you start doing something like a mask, suddenly they totally lose that dimension, they have facial identities and they come across closer to just being a regular actual humanoid leaking energy. That was the whole problem with the art for the mask fan concept---that they don't even look like ethreals anymore. Instead they start looking like regular people who have gotten infused with energy and are now leaking it, like the DK glowing eye effect but all over. Their name is literally "Ethereal" but this addition actively tries to give them corporality.

That was one expansion. Plus The NB got a lot of crap from the Nelves during legion and related / found common ground with the struggles of the belves and the sunwell.

Ethereals have been interacting with the Alliance and Horde equally since TBC. So makes sense they'd be neutral. Plus they're too awesome and unique of a race to not get the panda treatment.
    It was a more significant part of the main narrative than Ethereals have ever been. Also, for the nth time, they didn't get a lot of crap, they got a single reasonable question, and then a shit ton of help.

I think it'd be perfectly fine to put Ethereals on the Alliance. Particularly since the Horde should really be getting Ogres long before they get Ethereals. Void Elves already have an in, and their racials make it clear that in is with Ethereals in general, not just Locus-Walker's faction of Void Ethereals.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2021-09-20 at 07:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that out of all the possible races to become playable, the Ethereals make a lot of sense, however, limiting them to the Alliance would be a massive mistake given the level of interaction with both factions over the years, and general popularity among the player base. I'd go further and suggest that should Blizz proceed with playable Ethereals, Locus Walker probably wouldn't be the Alliance affiliated Ethereal leader given his whole Void leaning thing not sitting particularly well with the rest of the Protectorate/Consortium types.

This has neutral race written all over it, with some new named characters as Alliance/Horde leaders, and new racial areas in SW/Org.

There's nothing wrong with more options when those options make sense, but here I just feel like it's fundamentally at odds with their identity. Like giving Lightforged a Man'ari skintone, or giving hypothetical Naga a "legs" option.

Part of the entire visual/conceptual identity of the Ethereal is that they are formless energy beings loosely given humanoid impression by their wrappings, the lack of face gives them that mysterious ghost/spirit impression (that's the whole reason they use loose bandages rather than going the living armor route). But when you start doing something like a mask, suddenly they totally lose that dimension, they have facial identities and they come across closer to just being a regular actual humanoid leaking energy. That was the whole problem with the art for the mask fan concept---that they don't even look like ethreals anymore. Instead they start looking like regular people who have gotten infused with energy and are now leaking it, like the DK glowing eye effect but all over. Their name is literally "Ethereal" but this addition actively tries to give them corporality.

And then they made VOID elves into regular elves so who knows what they'd do.
    Last edited by Varx; 2021-09-20 at 07:08 PM.

Aren't there dozens of named Etheral NPCs in Outland, specifically in the Netherstorm?

And then they made VOID elves into regular elves so who's know what they'd do.
    I agree adding the high elf options was stupid, but those two things are not even remotely comparable. Void Elves are just High/Blood Elves infused by the void, being less infused, but still infused is not an unreasonable modification.

The comparison here would be like asking for the Blood Elf light-infused glowing eye option for void elves. Because that's something in direct conflict with their whole identity.

I agree adding the high elf options was stupid, but those two things are not even remotely comparable. Void Elves are just High/Blood Elves infused by the void, being less infused, but still infused is not an unreasonable modification.

The comparison here would be like asking for the Blood Elf light-infused glowing eye option for void elves. Because that's something in direct conflict with their whole identity.
    I disagree. You can make a void elf look like they're a pure belf, completely going against what makes them different from their parent race. It's like having green maghar. If they wanted to make less infused options then perhaps they could have given pale skins with voidy limbs that can easily be hidden with gear, but you know...

But I digress, I get your argument of why they shouldn't make ethereal have masks. But at this point I don't think blizzard gives two shits on lore integrity.

I'd roll one in a heartbeat. Never said that about a new race before.

10+ Year Old Account
    They'd definitely work best as another playable Neutral Race.