Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Imagine being OP. Cannot afford 8k TV, there are no 8k TV programs to speak of, but regardless wants to burden his credit card by financing one.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    I am looking at a new 8k TV. I cannot afford to pay the full amount, which is $$$$ but I can afford to finance it. If I split the payments with my credit card I can afford to make all 12 payments. 8K TVs arent going down in price between now and late 2022. With my income now payments are my best and safest bet.
    If you can find the TV on Amazon, they (and I'm sure some others do too) offer special 12-24 month financing where if you pay the balance in that time frame, you pay 0 interest. It may be down your alley.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Financing anything with depreciating value is stupid. End of story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    Yep.

You want to be able to break even if you should need to resell it for whatever reason, for something of that price. It's one of the reasons why financing cars via debt is such a social cancer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Yep.

You want to be able to break even if you should need to resell it for whatever reason, for something of that price. It's one of the reasons why financing cars via debt is such a social cancer.
    Oh don't get me started on cars! I have friends and coworkers I want to choke for the stupid decisions they have made about financing cars.

Oh don't get me started on cars! I have friends and coworkers I want to choke for the stupid decisions they have made about financing cars.
    It’s a tough call. My favorite car I’ve ever had ran great for years then suddenly turned into a money pit. One session at the cheapest mechanic was $500 for coolant work (patch job) and $3500 for suspension work. I decided to take that money as a down payment on a new car. I had it paid off before the warranty expired which was nice.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    It’s a tough call. My favorite car I’ve ever had ran great for years then suddenly turned into a money pit. One session at the cheapest mechanic was $500 for coolant work (patch job) and $3500 for suspension work. I decided to take that money as a down payment on a new car. I had it paid off before the warranty expired which was nice.
    I had to finance new tires when I was in college. I was flat broke but needed tires badly

- - - Updated - - -

I had to finance tires and a fridge but I was desperate

Did you make a decision?

Also you haven't told us yet what 8k media you want to watch on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    I had to finance new tires when I was in college. I was flat broke but needed tires badly

- - - Updated - - -

I had to finance tires and a fridge but I was desperate
    Crap happens.

Also, I applaud you for not feeding the trolls and their "lol wut 8k content" comments. Ignore them. The same trolls did this when 4k TVs came out. Then the content began to comeout. Then some of those same trolls went on their "they're the exact same thing" or "nobody can tell the difference" escapades. Its your business if you want one for whatever reason... because you want to get ahead of the 8ball or just because you do. Its your money, your life, you can buy whatever you want. Just because someone else cannot fathom why you want something isn't your problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crap happens.

Also, I applaud you for not feeding the trolls and their "lol wut 8k content" comments. Ignore them. The same trolls did this when 4k TVs came out. Then the content began to comeout. Then some of those same trolls went on their "they're the exact same thing" or "nobody can tell the difference" escapades. Its your business if you want one for whatever reason... because you want to get ahead of the 8ball or just because you do. Its your money, your life, you can buy whatever you want. Just because someone else cannot fathom why you want something isn't your problem.
    I don't see how you can label it "trolling" to point out legitimate concerns to a potential reckless buyer. Display technology is advancing so rapidly I just don't see the advantage to being an early adopter. You can't tell me that people buying early 4k TVs got better ones than people who waited. I waited on 4k and still ended up replacing it in less than two years. Getting into the newest tech is an endless cycle and if he can't afford it he needs some bitter truths otherwise he's borrowing for another new gadget in no time. If OP could afford it outright it would be different. I'd still tell him my concerns, but I'd share your attitude about the ultimate decision.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I don't see how you can label it "trolling" to point out legitimate concerns to a potential reckless buyer. Display technology is advancing so rapidly I just don't see the advantage to being an early adopter. You can't tell me that people buying early 4k TVs got better ones than people who waited. I waited on 4k and still ended up replacing it in less than two years. Getting into the newest tech is an endless cycle and if he can't afford it he needs some bitter truths otherwise he's borrowing for another new gadget in no time. If OP could afford it outright it would be different. I'd still tell him my concerns, but I'd share your attitude about the ultimate decision.
    Reckless is a matter of opinion. What he buys is his own business. That's like telling someone who wants a sportscar that they're reckless because there are no places near them that have 100+ MPH speed limits. Being an early adopter is a matter of preference. People were rushing out to get PS5s when there were very few games even out for it. Some were paying scalper prices. It's their money, their choice, even if we disagree. I myself wouldn't buy a 8KTV right now (I actually just bought a 2021 model OLED TV) but if someone else wants to, have at it.

As far as trolls, all the clearly sarcastic comments and sealioning are what I'm referring to. Simply saying "Why do you want one?" is not.

I don't understand the need for an 8k TV, nothing is being shot in 8k, nothing is being marketed in 8k. Its a technology in its infancy. Financing it to get some jump on cutting edge tech is only going to lead to disappointment when 8k TV prices go up in quality and down in price as time passes and media finally becomes available. Even now a bunch of stuff being released in 4k is from 2k source so don't hold your breath.
    Well, lots of stuff is shot with 8k cameras(movies mainly), it just isn't finished in 8k for home usage.

However, onto the topic at hand, unless you are a content creator of some sort and need a massive resolution for editing, then honestly I wouldn't go for it at the tech right now hasn't much usage outside of some very specific circumstances.

If you can't afford to buy something very niche (and basically useless for now) upfront, then financing it is not a good idea.
    Ask yourself: do I NEED it, or do I just WANT it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Reckless is a matter of opinion. What he buys is his own business.
    This statement looks extremely stupid when you actually remember he asked for input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    This statement looks extremely stupid when you actually remember he asked for input.
    It's also awfully funny, considering his welfare queen rant in the other thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

This statement looks extremely stupid when you actually remember he was asking if financing was a good idea, not about whether getting an 8K TV itself was.

Shoo, troll

*yawn*
    Last edited by Necromantic; 2021-09-24 at 05:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This statement looks extremely stupid when you actually remember he was asking if financing was a good idea, not about whether getting an 8K TV itself was.

Shoo, troll

*yawn*
    Its just getting stupider and stupider, you can't divorce the financing and the reason for it. If he wanted to finance cutting his left arm off and grafting it to the right side of his body so he could have two right arms, would you insist we ignore the impracticality and focus strictly on the merits of financing?

Your comparative examples also fall short, a new sports car doesn't require waiting for new roads to be built, and a PS5 isn't going to be replaced by a PS6 in a year the same way new and improved TVs are rolled out annually.

But I guess its just time to call me a troll for expressing my opinion in a thread that is soliciting opinions.
    /s

Its just getting stupider and stupider, you can't divorce the financing and the reason for it. If he wanted to finance cutting his left arm off and grafting it to the right side of his body so he could have two right arms, would you insist we ignore the impracticality and focus strictly on the merits of financing?

Your comparative examples also fall short, a new sports car doesn't require waiting for new roads to be built, and a PS5 isn't going to be replaced by a PS6 in a year the same way new and improved TVs are rolled out annually.

But I guess its just time to call me a troll for expressing my opinion in a thread that is soliciting opinions.
    That wasn't directed to you, it was directed to my stalker. I never said you were wrong. My point to you was if he wants to buy something there is limited use for (right now), he's welcome to do so. Many people buy things that may not make much sense to others. Such as people who buy Apple Watches that cannot or do not get data, etc.

As far as financing it, it depends. Many financing options are high interested which may not be a good idea for some, especially those furniture type stores that finance things and you end up paying triple what the MSRP is. For that, I would just say to keep saving for X months and buy it straight-up. Those special financing where if you pay off in a year, you pay 0 interest (same as cash) can be helpful if you really feel like you need something "right now".
    Last edited by Necromantic; 2021-09-24 at 06:49 PM.

Has OP given a reason for wanting a 8k tv? This thread seems rather baity...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedSkull View Post
    Has OP given a reason for wanting a 8k tv? This thread seems rather baity...
    It would be worth knowing.
    /s