Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Alex Jones Loses Sandy Hook Lawsuits.

Yes, you read that right, he lost 2 lawsuits about his bullshit defamation lawsuits about the Sandy Hook Murders.

And he lost them by one of the rarest ways possible, BY DEFAULT.

He failed to comply with the judge in the cases, by not providing documents for discovery in the cases.

Funny part of the actual article:

The ruling — which is often referred to in Texas as a “death penalty sanction” for a party unwilling to comply with court orders — is a rarity in the legal world. Jones, who is now on his seventh lawyer in these cases, had years to provide documentation requested by the court, including internal company emails.
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alex-...640eb1d56a?pkq

So now the jury is being convened to see how much Jones will have to pay for his losses. Hopefully the judge bankrupts him, and destroys EVERYTHING that is Infowars. It would be nice, but I don't think it will happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alex Jones is worth about $5 million, apparently. He used to make a bunch of money selling "male vitality" but that seems to have sagged.

Bankrupting him could be realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Alex Jones is worth about $5 million, apparently. He used to make a bunch of money selling "male vitality" but that seems to have sagged.

Assuming he does not have some kind of indemnity, this is all part of the show after all.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I'll believe it when I see it. The cynic in me thinks that this will be similar to the wrongful death civil suits against O.J. Simpson, where to this day he has somehow gotten away with paying just a small fraction of the judgment.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

7+ Year Old Account
    Don't underestimate the rights ability to bail out their worst. I fully expect either a huge gofundme campaign or some huge donations from super wealthy "patriots".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Assuming he does not have some kind of indemnity
    He does not.

He did not recant publicly for years, so "I was only joking" and the like won't work here. If Jones had fine print on his show that declared it to be fiction, farce, or comedy, he would have submitted that day one and walked. He made statements of fact, in public, proporting they were true. The fact that he did so as part of a talk radio show will not protect him -- it's how they got out in the first place -- unless he somehow informed his public audience ahead of time that that topic, or his whole show, was all made up.

He never did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    Oh, so will I. I am just pointing out that $5 million is the target to do real damage, and that it's possible. Jones will appeal anything over six figures.

I hope his payments to every family make the McDonald's hot coffee incident look cheap in comparison.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Don't underestimate the rights ability to bail out their worst. I fully expect either a huge gofundme campaign or some huge donations from super wealthy "patriots".
    Hopefully it does a good measure towards scaring off alex jones-types from similar scurrilous campaigns against victims of tragedy.

And even if they scrounge together some fundraiser for this clod (and I don't really think it's that likely,) the families will still get the money.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Is it even legal to collect money on sites like that for the purpose of paying down those sorts of penalties?

Either way, no matter how much I would love to live in a world where I never have to hear from this piece of shit ever again...I'm not holding my breath that this will do anything meaningful to get rid of him. There are millions of sheep out there for human garbage like Jones to fleece, so there's no reason for him to stop.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2021-10-03 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Is it even legal to collect money on sites like that for the purpose of paying down those sorts of penalties?

Either way, no matter how much I would love to live in a world where I never have to hear from this piece of shit ever again...I'm not holding my breath that this will do anything meaningful to get rid of him. There are millions of sheep out there for human garbage like Jones to fleece, so there's no reason for him to stop.
    GoFundMe stopped doing that, but they have religious groups that have made some and "patriot" ones after GoFundMe started enforcing that rule, especially after Kyle Rittenhouse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post

Alex Jones seems like he'd garner less (and it pains me to say this of Trump) "main stream" support than someone like Trump. Trump was doing things under the pretense of running for office or doing something like "stopping the steal" or some equally inane but still vaguely actionable cause.

Like, I can't imagine the sort of crazy white trash loser that listens to Alex Jones, much less would give money to cover some sort of court fees, has that much disposable income. I'd assume they'd have given most of it to Trump or Mr. Pillow already.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I'd love for the bastard to die penniless on the street due to this. But unfortunately, he's a white loudmouth racist prick with a network behind him. So he'd probably be able to scam some idiots with GoFundMe or something.

15+ Year Old Account
    In before our resident conservative chucklefucks claim that they're "silencing" Alex Jones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    I'd love for the bastard to die penniless on the street due to this. But unfortunately, he's a white loudmouth racist prick with a network behind him. So he'd probably be able to scam some idiots with GoFundMe or something.
    He won't even have to scam people. There's a bunch of assholes out there with too much money who just want to hear someone say what they want to hear. Alex Jones scratches that itch for many. Many know it's an act, a fake. Others believe it whole heartedly.

There's huge stacks of cash available for anyone who can scream the most fringe, insane right wing conspiracies out there.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a real shame that this won't result in criminal penalties that involve jail time. Alex Jones deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

the sad part is even if this does take a giant financial toll on Jones' and Infowars it's only going to galvanize the fans to throw more of their money at BS vitamins to keep the operation going.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    It's a real shame that this won't result in criminal penalties that involve jail time. Alex Jones deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison.
    As we've said over and over, lying to the American people is not a crime.

Just the same, don't forget that, to many of these grifters, being made poor is probably worse than being in jail. Or, in some cases, dying.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    the sad part is even if this does take a giant financial toll on Jones' and Infowars it's only going to galvanize the fans to throw more of their money at BS vitamins to keep the operation going.
    Wait, you mean taking Balance of Nature doesn't mean that I can stop eating fruits and vegetables and that it won't make me feel like I'm 20 years old again?
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

10+ Year Old Account
    As we've said over and over, lying to the American people is not a crime.

Just the same, don't forget that, to many of these grifters, being made poor is probably worse than being in jail. Or, in some cases, dying.
    Sure -- but if there is a case to be made that lying caused harm and suffering to others it should be. And there are numerous circumstances where speech is criminal and does result in jail time.

And sure - being made poor is a just punishment indeed, but as stated the network of conservative donors make that an unlikely outcome.
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure -- but if there is a case to be made that lying caused harm and suffering to others it should be.
    If I were being optimistic, I'd say that the US law system allows you to sue for murder (see also OJ Simpson) for things that criminal penalties don't restrict directly.

If I were being optimistic.

Sure -- but if there is a case to be made that lying caused harm and suffering to others it should be. And there are numerous circumstances where speech is criminal and does result in jail time.
    Yeah, I'm not one to normally go down into "slippery slope" territory...but I do worry about how criminalizing these kinds of things could go to dark places. Defamation, Slander, and Libel Lawsuits all seem like the appropriate response to these things. Maybe remove some of the protections that the "Well, my show is just entertainment and shouldn't be taken too seriously" provides though.