Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't played it in 3 years - still watch my daily dose of Khaldor at lunch.

I’m sorry to say it but HOTS was doa due to the narrow vision and casualification of the genre that Blizzard intended. MOBA is an extremely competitive genre much like FPS is. Trying to make it more casual friendly by removing items, sharing xp and de emphasising landing phase is one of the worst moves I’ve ever seen Blizzard do. They had a golden opportunity to take advantage of the most watched genre in the world but they failed horribly. The people responsible for that disaster should outright be fired

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arikara View Post
    It might be dead to Blizzard

but it's still the best MOBA available by a long shot
    Most people disagree making this a false statement obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    That's not how truth works, but ok!
    You are dealing with a genre of free to play games here - with virtually any machine running being able to run all games in the genre.

What i mean to say with this is that the barrier of entry is virtually non existant. That coupled with the fact that many users already have the Blizzard client installed - starting to play HoTS should be the lowest barrier of entry into any MOBA.

It goes to reason that the "best" by any generalized standard would be the most played.

Especially when the game in question has a much larger fanbase and existing lore behind it, but it still doesnt even marginally compete with the 2-3 best in the genre.

So yes, that is how "truth" works.
    Last edited by ClassicPeon; 2021-11-16 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    I’m sorry to say it but HOTS was doa due to the narrow vision and casualification of the genre that Blizzard intended. MOBA is an extremely competitive genre much like FPS is. Trying to make it more casual friendly by removing items, sharing xp and de emphasising landing phase is one of the worst moves I’ve ever seen Blizzard do. They had a golden opportunity to take advantage of the most watched genre in the world but they failed horribly. The people responsible for that disaster should outright be fired

- - - Updated - - -

Most people disagree making this a false statement obviously
    They did a lot of interesting things with it at least in terms of the maps.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    They did a lot of interesting things with it at least in terms of the maps.
    I agree. There are some actual Blizzardy ideas - the problem is that they misunderstood why people play MOBA's in the first place.

Dead? No. But HotS as we knew it is not coming back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    I agree. There are some actual Blizzardy ideas - the problem is that they misunderstood why people play MOBA's in the first place.
    ...people play other MOBAs to play on a single map with a small set of harshly defined viable characters while people try to showboat as much as possible at the potential expense of the entire team and rapidly lose their shit if they don't get their way, to be infinitely repeated in what is essentially the exact same match over and over again in a slow and lumbering nigh hour-long slog that eventually comes to some drawn out inevitable conclusion that was apparent half an hour previously?

Because frankly that's all other MOBAs have "over" HotS.

I stopped playing HOTS because Overwatch scratched the competitive itch, was faster, and more of my friends played it. But I'd return to HoTS before I ever, ever returned to playing LoL.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2021-11-20 at 05:17 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    ...people play other MOBAs to play on a single map with a small set of harshly defined viable characters while people try to showboat as much as possible at the potential expense of the entire team and rapidly lose their shit if they don't get their way, to be infinitely repeated in what is essentially the exact same match over and over again in a slow and lumbering nigh hour-long slog that eventually comes to some drawn out inevitable conclusion that was apparent half an hour previously?

Because frankly that's all other MOBAs have "over" HotS.

I stopped playing HOTS because Overwatch scratched the competitive itch, was faster, and more of my friends played it. But I'd return to HoTS before I ever, ever returned to playing LoL.
    Thats how someone who doesnt understand that eppeal and general concept of a MOBA would classify MOBA's definitely.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed it for the little time I played it, but I’ve never been big into mobas. I haven’t played the game in years and likely won’t any time soon.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

How do we define game death. It still gets played, not very popular though, and from the dev side it's on life support.

Hots dont get nee content,but is still playable and fun.

Only thing i dislike is many heroe reworks, like tassadar and tyrande, and that they removed many spells/mechanics, that were to unique/weird.

Ah and most of the skins and mounts are garbage. Most of them just adding more edges and spikes + color variations. Event skins are nice,but only purchaseable at the events.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    How do we define game death. It still gets played, not very popular though, and from the dev side it's on life support.
    well take a look at peak popularity of the game, and if the current popularity is a tiny fraction of that, yah its dead.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

its still played but its not got much support these days, like a new champion prob once a year, with new skins just as rare. Its a shame, because its actually one of the only MOBAS i enjoy, because its more team focused then solo play plus its characters i know

It's in maintenance mode. Basically keeping it afloat but not adding much of any new content. Sucks, I actually like HotS.

The game is still going strong in Europe. Can't speak as to how the other regions are doing though.

Aren't all Blizzard games dead? That's what everyone here keeps telling me.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

15+ Year Old Account
    ‘HotS will be popular’ is now a meme in China.

I love many things about HotS.

Many things that other moba players despise.

But it's funny because, basically, HotS is to LoL what LoL is to DotA 2.

I stopped playing it when blizzard announced they killed it in 2018.

They may have pulled the life support plug but it's still the best Blizzard game you can play at the moment. Unironically the most innovative and fun Moba you can play.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?