15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Tried Witcher 3 again... gods i hate that game with every fiber of my being but i WANT to like it. Setting is good. Don't much like the harem situation but i can ignore it and i don't liek RPGs where i cannot customize my character.
    But the most horrible thing ever are the controls and fighting.... gods why do people hype that up so much?

2/10 at most (for me)
    Couldn't agree more, that's exactly how I feel about it.

I've just been replaying though the Naruto: Ninja storm series for lols (and because it was on sale). 5/10 - good for nostalgia.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Have to agree with you. Already tried playing it a couple of times over the years, i cannot put more than a couple of hours in. The controls and the combat are absolutely horrid. Would love to experience the entirety of the game, but cannot, for the life of me, actually go through it.
    It's good to know I'm not alone in finding it clunky and horrid.
    Here is something to believe in!

Pathfinder, Wrath of the Righteous.

11/10

Just 1 full playthrough kept me busy and entertained for 2 months and I have not even touched alternative mythic paths yet

Quote Originally Posted by Zalraki View Post
    Pathfinder, Wrath of the Righteous.

11/10

Just 1 full playthrough kept me busy and entertained for 2 months and I have not even touched alternative mythic paths yet
    Yeah same such a massive game, absolutely loved it too.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, 9/10 (so far)

Still on-going, I've just finished my business in Attika, if that gives an impression on how much ground I still have to cover.

I actually ended up writing a lot so maybe better if I collect it all behind a collapse.

Spoiler: 
    It's AC, so expect the world to be built as parkour ground for ancient would-be assassins, which delivers the usual hit to credibility. Despite that the environments look nice if you can get over the fact that, due to the large size of the world, everything is pretty much copypasted. I felt it was alright for smaller cities like Megara to be like that, but then I got to Athens and was hugely disappointment. Alexandria in AC Origins is far better, which actually should be expected considering that game only had three major cities (and Krokodilopolis), where as Odyssey caters to the entirety of ancient Greece, which was famous for its city states (meaning each needs some amount of respectful representation). Well, after lambasting Athens as copypaste shite I did warm up to it a little after questing there for a time. So I would say you can get over the sense everything in the game is generated from shared resources, as bummer as it is considering the franchise's history with city design. Such as it is I do find smaller settlements nicer, as they don't have to cover a lot of ground, therefore it's easier to design them with common structures.

Gameplay is similar to how it was in Origins, but combat doesn't feel as satisfying. I think it's tougher too, as I don't recall having this much trouble in the previous game. Died a lot in the early stages, though less now that I've unlocked Warrior skills and managed to get used to the gameplay. Even though the flow of combat in Origins felt better, the combat in Odyssey is weightier in a way that imo gives it more credibility. No matter your level you should have some trouble facing multiple foes at once. Warrior skills diminish this the more you unlock them, but if you keep a high-ish wanted level like I do there's often some tough opposition to make fights something you can't just phone in.

Speaking of the wanted level, one thing I really like is Odyssey's version of Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis-system, the Mercenary-system (wonder if Ubisoft got into legal trouble for that, since the system is under WB's copyright). Basically you do crimes like murder and thievery, you get a wanted level and mercenaries with some personality are sent after you, similar to Origin's phylakitai, just organic instead of a finite number of pre-designed foes. As you're a mercenary yourself there's a ranking ladder to climb, which nets you different benefits, and the further you get the harder your enemies become. Early on I relied on kicking everybody off a building, but at the level I'm currently on they all seem to be immune to it. You can pay a fine or kill a sponsor to get rid of your infamy, but I tend to keep it ongoing, as the wandering mercenaries actively hunting you makes the game more interesting (not to mention their loot is pretty good). This system leaks somewhat to regular enemies, as some enemy officers have shown to be almost as difficult as mercenaries below your rank. Most NPC's in the game, mercenary or otherwise, can be subdued and recruited to your crew as lieutenants, which nets your naval capability various perks and adds said recruit as a friendly combatant when boarding enemy ships.

That's right, seafaring is back! The core part of the best AC to date, Black Flag, I'm very happy to see it again. Initially I expected to find it cumbersome and kind of silly, as ancient Greece doesn't have the kind of ships 1700's Caribbean did (cannons, son!), but Ubisoft made it work splendidly; the Greek sea actually makes for a terrific setting for seafaring, and the trimeres of the era were very much used due to the land being coastal all around and islandy. Unlike in Black Flag you only use the sail at travel speed, otherwise it's all about people below deck using a whole bunch of oars, which (from my non-expert perspective) makes those tight turns more believable than they were in Black Flag. With the trimeres ramming feels like a core part of naval battle too, with arrows and spears (era substitutes for cannons) being in a more supportive role.

As much as I like the setting and the seafaring, the world does somehow feel less intriguing than Origins's Egypt. Ancient Egyptian religion and culture always felt more mysterious to me, what with all the pyramids and mummy curses, and I'm less familiar with them too than the done-to-death Greek stuff. Traveling around the Nile and the deserts and the old city of Memphis, there was a feeling of dread where ever I went. Odyssey has this to a degree with the antagonist faction, the Cult of Kosmos, but the land itself feels bright and chipper unlike Egypt. Without going too much into the plot (especially as I'm only, what, four chapters in?), it seems to be about the protagonist's bloodline, which makes the theme about family more than Assassin's Vs Templars, which Origins was largely about with Bayek's personal quest to destroy the proto-Templar faction, the Order of the Ancients.

I mean, sure, the Cult is still a Templar-esque antagonist faction, but they don't feel so mysterious nor the primary focus the way the Order did. Where Templar/Order targets were always plot-relevant big names, the Cult is a list of NPCs out in the world you discover by collecting clues about each one at your own pace. The Sages are the actual real deal (I assume, haven't unlocked any yet), otherwise you have a kill-list of people of little consequence or personality, kinda distancing the Cult from the main plot imo. Maybe it'll pick up later, but, conceptually, the cultist map turns what should be a core part of the plot into yet another Ubisoft bundle of chores. There's intrigue in hunting them down, but in a side-activity way. It doesn't help that the clue-gathering discovery tour is optional, you can stumble on cultists accidentally too, as I did in Attika, twice. In the first case I was puzzled why an officer among other guards was considerably tougher than the rest, then I got a slain cultist notice once I killed him. The other I accidentally killed as my mace swing unintentionally hit what appeared to be some random civilian as I was fending off guards.

I've otherwise enjoyed following the plot. Kassandra (of course I picked Kassandra) is a far better protagonist than Bayek, whose fundamentalist ways constantly irked me, and what we lost in the Cult's presentation we gained in personal impact. Kassandra travels the world pursuing personal goals and lives merrily as a misthios, mercenary. You get to make choices much like in Witcher 3, and while most don't have that much impact (if any) they do play their part in forming Kassandra's personality. There are also some choices that have actual impact on the world. Usually they're part of the main quest, but some side-quest choices have impact too. Here's an example: In Kephallonia a town was burned because it was plague-ridden. Only one family left and it's about to be killed by a priest. Prompting them you get to choose whether to protect the family from the priest or to let him kill them. Saving the family would be the "good" choice in a more generic setting, but in this case they are plague-carriers. If you save them you doom all of Kephallonia to become plague-ridden, while allowing the priest to kill them prevents this. I chose the latter so couldn't confirm the results of the former, but being a chicken I googled the consequences prior to making the choice and learned Kephallonia would go through visceral changes to the worse if you allow the plague to survive. Walking away after stating she wouldn't interfere, Kassandra was declared to have blood on her hands by the father of the family. This made me think of the trolley problem.

So for an AC the game does have a lot of personality and I really like the protagonist and her familial ties. And even though I'm not usually concerned by it, it's refreshing to see a good female protagonist in a video game (AC has already done well in that with Evie). I haven't tried Alexios, but playing as Kassandra the game very much feels like it was intended to be experienced as her.

I'm having such a good time with the game that even with all my criticism I'm giving it a 9/10. Subject to change if it takes a turn to the worse.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

GTA Vice City re-release for the Nintendo Switch 4/10.

I wanted to love this one since it was my favorite of the old classic GTA's. Sometimes it was really fun and listening to the radio is still a good time despite a few song omissions. But damn this was a buggy game for me. Things like driving around and suddenly all the palm trees turn into rainbow pixels, sometimes Tommy's hair would disappear or turn white, mission targets clipping through buildings where I can't reach them, and a LOT of crashes. I finished the game last night and the game froze on the final mission three times for me (but only seemed to do so when I was finally making good progress). The weirdest glitch was after I beat the game, anything that played music would instead only be silent. No more radio stations and the Malibu dance club had people awkwardly dancing to nothing. When you drive around Vice City in complete silence you realize how empty and dull it is.

Some of the graphical improvements are nice and anything viewed from a distance looks pretty good. I don't like the updated character models. The AI seems extremely off sometimes, particularly when it comes to NPC driving. As a kid, there was a racing mission that took me about 8 attempts because the driver kept baaaarely beating me. It was an awesome challenge and I felt elated when I finally won. This time, on the first turn he hit a building and just started driving around in circles as I nonchalantly finished the race unopposed. Anything else positive I have to say about the game is mostly because of nostalgia and I can't recommend it to anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shin Megami Tensei V - 9/10

Honestly I think this is the best turn based RPG ever made in terms of gameplay. The open world exploration has tons of treasure to find and the level design is quite good so it makes for an enjoyable experience. The combat is absolutely excellent and really feels like there's a lot of skill expression at play which has always been a problem I've had with turn based RPGs. I feel like a lot of them came down to: Are you high enough level? If yes, then you win, if no then you lose. While level does matter in this game, you can overcome enemies who are 10 levels or higher than you with good play. The customization is great as well. Unlike other SMT/Persona game you can actually keep demons with you for a long time. I had a demon I got at level 42 and she stayed with me until the end of the game when she was 93.

Graphically, the game is gorgeous for a Switch game. Not only that but some of the cutscenes in this are beautiful and unlike anything I had seen before. The game occassionally has issues maintaining 30 FPS, but as someone who is usually sensitive to frame rate fluctuations, it didn't bother me in this game for some reason.

The reason the game isn't a 10/10 is the story. Now the story isn't bad, it's just very barebones. There are a lot of interesting characters and plot points, but the game doesn't spend a lot of time on those things. I think if they had put more effort into the story it could've been really good, but they chose to focus more on the gameplay.

Overall, I'd say this game is my Game of the Year so far.

Nier automata 6/10
    dragon quest 11 4/10

Dragon quest was slow and the story was totally unispired, good combat system but very few interesting encounters so very dissapointing to be honest, i think i liked the old DQ8 quite a lot more.

Nier, has a better story although not even close to the mega hype that people has built around it, this game must have the best movement/displacement system i have ever seen in a videogame, absolutely fantastic, in fact the best part of the game for me the quest with the speedster guy, i am sorry it was only 3 races.
    Combat could be amazing if the boss and trash mobs encounters were better designed, but they are not, a pity because the possibility is there, again very amazing combat animations they feel quite good.
    Horrible design of the difficulty, i played first playthrough in normal, then i went to easy because i only wanted to see the story and it turns out the hardest boss with a huge difference is a certain box in a tower you have to hack, otherwise you can not progress through the game, although to be honest it might not be intended because it is the only one so i think it might be a miscalculation.
    So a good game that could have been way better, but a good game nonetheless

10+ Year Old Account
    Remnant: From the Ashes [7.5/10]
    3rd person shooter with Souls-like elements (punishing enemies, fog doors for bosses, checkpoints that refill ammo health while respawning all minor enemies). Fun game, although one of the easier Souls-like games I've played. I tend only really die to bosses, and even then it takes me 1-3 attempts before I kill them. Campaign is pretty short and encourages multiple playthrough on different difficulties. Despite being primarily a co-op oriented game, I'm having quite a lot of fun playing solo.

The Long Drive [Bizarre in a Good Way/10]
    A cross between Jalopy and My Summer Car. You are in a semi post-apocalyptic world with killer rabbits and have to drive your car for, well, a long drive. Light survival mechanics such as scouring run-down shops, gas stations, and houses for water, food, and car parts make for an interesting experience. It also has goofy controls similar to Hand Simulator for extra wackyness.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Tried Witcher 3 again... gods i hate that game with every fiber of my being but i WANT to like it. Setting is good. Don't much like the harem situation but i can ignore it and i don't liek RPGs where i cannot customize my character.
    But the most horrible thing ever are the controls and fighting.... gods why do people hype that up so much?

2/10 at most (for me)
    I have never been able to keep playing it past the 2 first hours at most because of the controls and fighting, i can not stand the gameplay of the game, that for me is the most important thing in any videogame.
    I think people who like this game a lot it is because they do not care so much about gameplay as they do about story, which i do not share but of course respect, but as i have not played the game i do not know if the story is good or not.

Detroit: Become Human

Somewhat similar to a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book with gameplay.

Overall 9/10. The story is great. The gameplay that is there is pretty solid, the focus is on the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy 4 - 6/10

Spoilers ahead but it's a super old game at this point, so I'm not going to bother spoiler tagging it.

This is the first "traditional" Final Fantasy I've played since I played Final Fantasy 1 and 2 on the Gameboy Advance. All the other Final Fantasy games I've played were either the 2 MMOs, FF12, FF13, or Final Fantasy 7 Remake. All in all it was okay, but definitely nothing special. I think the story was kinda a mess. There are so many fakeout deaths and random plot twists to the point where I became numb to it all. The game was originally pretty old so I respect it for trying to tell a more indepth story, but ultimately the story just felt messy.

The combat was okay but I really hate ATB combat. At least in this game. The main saving grace is that it's pretty short by JRPG standards considering I beat it in like 22 hours and I also did a lot of extra exploration. It was short enough that I could get through it so I could get all the references in FF14 Endwalker, but if it was much longer than it was I probably wouldn't have made it through.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Finally downloaded and installed Dyson Sphere Program on Sunday after buying it many months ago.
    Played for like 6 hours Sunday and now finally I am back playing more tonight!

8/10 right now.

It's a pretty game. It's cool. It makes my brain do the thingy. Maybe there needs to be a LITTLE more direction about what you should do but maybe letting us decide what we should do next is better.

This is very pleasant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Final Fantasy 4 - 6/10

Spoilers ahead but it's a super old game at this point, so I'm not going to bother spoiler tagging it.

This is the first "traditional" Final Fantasy I've played since I played Final Fantasy 1 and 2 on the Gameboy Advance. All the other Final Fantasy games I've played were either the 2 MMOs, FF12, FF13, or Final Fantasy 7 Remake. All in all it was okay, but definitely nothing special. I think the story was kinda a mess. There are so many fakeout deaths and random plot twists to the point where I became numb to it all. The game was originally pretty old so I respect it for trying to tell a more indepth story, but ultimately the story just felt messy.

The combat was okay but I really hate ATB combat. At least in this game. The main saving grace is that it's pretty short by JRPG standards considering I beat it in like 22 hours and I also did a lot of extra exploration. It was short enough that I could get through it so I could get all the references in FF14 Endwalker, but if it was much longer than it was I probably wouldn't have made it through.
    What did you play it on?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

New World : 7/10 ... around the same rating as WoW.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    What did you play it on?
    I played the 3D Remake on Steam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exo One.

Very short, weird "Story" but entertaining. The different planets are quite nice to fly/roll over.

7/10
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I played the 3D Remake on Steam.
    Thank you! I should probably check that out!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Football Managed 10/10

10+ Year Old Account
    Tony hawk 1+2 remaster on ps5. Like 9/10 so great remaster. Was playin hours years ago and that's how i remembered this game. Recommend to every fan of thps.

The Ascent

9/10 so far.

The most beautiful game I've ever seen and a TON of fun to play with a few friends. The RPG elements are great; captivating conversations, decent leveling system and amazing fights. What a great game!
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 8/10

I had my misgivings about this at first, I wasn't convinced by the Harry Potter-esque setup of having to choose a House to lead and exploring the school Persona-style. But I'm glad I kept on playing, this is a really good game. The core tactical gameplay of the series is intact, if a bit on the easy side. There's a bunch of new elements like Battalions, Gambits and the ability to spec your units into different skills unlocking different classes instead of a linear progression for every character. I do have reservations on the downtime in between main missions, where you either explore the Monastery, do random battles, or level up skills. The random battles get old even if some of them are more narrative driven, and the exploration kinda sucks but is mandatory to making characters like you which in turn in mandatory to recruiting new units especially those from Houses other than your own.

The story was the standout to me. It's nothing ground-breaking but it does a lot with what it has in regards to its world and characters, with a narrative that is far more grey in morality than I'm used to from the series, and puts more of an emphasis on characters entering in conflict over opposing ideals or objectives rather than Good Guys fighting Bad Guys backed by an Ancient Evil. My biggest revelation was talking to the friend who lent me the game once I completed it, as he had chosen a different route than mine, which significantly changed the story and put the characters in very different situations and context, adding lots of depth and perspective to the narrative. I'm a sucker for when games do that, and it adds a lot of potential replay value.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.