Poll: How much hype?

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post

i wouldn't say blizzard as a company is dead. as the ideal it once was, certainly. that can never be gotten back once lost. even EA had a period of being a good company. so blizz will rise up again as long as they don't go out of business (which i don't think will happen). wrath classic will likely come down to if blizz can solve the core issues of the company before they start working on wotlk. if they can't at least have it mostly solved, i'd expect it to be a bad remake.
    Blizzard is not really dead. The company will still exist just like EA but they will only do shitty money grabbing schemes just like EA. From a customers perspective they are dead. Just look at what Blizzard did in the past 5 years. They basically killed Hots, SC2, Overwatch, WC3 and maybe Hearthstone (I dont know much about Hearthstone tbh) and they completely ruined Retail WoW. Classic is the only thing they didnt completely destroy besides Diablo 2 which was done by a different company.

If I was a betting man I would put all my money on we will never see an outstanding new game made by Blizzard again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    WotLK will have a dedicated fanbase by those that prefer the raids and aesthetic and such, but I cannot imagine it will foster a playerbase from nothing when Shadowlands (or 10.0) will be right there with a larger playerbase, and Vanilla is there to give that proper old school RPG feel.
    WotLK suffers from being where the current raid or die paradigm in the game started.
    Wrath was great for non-raiders like me though. We could spam heroic 5-mans for emblems and get a nice little set of purples. I see it as superior to Shadowlands, because Wrath was nice and simple progression without all the bullshit of contemporary WoW. Alts felt much better to play as a result. I think it was partly that balance of content for casuals and hardcore raiders that made the game so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    One could argue about it receiving a bit more hype because some perceive it as the peak, but i think that's going wean off pretty quickly because of how much a joke the 1st Tier in Wotlk is
    I don't want classic wow for the (then) current raids, I want classic wow for the open world and old dungeons <3
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Right, I sure didn't say any of this:

You said all of this.

You said this after you said everything else above first. You said both of these things.

I'm pointing out how ridiculous you come off as by trying to justify your personal thoughts you have about the company and the quality of the game by denigrating others for still finding enjoyment and being excited. I'm pointing out that you are also criticizing people for their choices for finding enjoyment and being excited for the game because they don't share your outlook of the "scum" company (as you have put it).

It's quite simple.
    and where in any of that did i say "no one is allowed to get hyped over something i don't like". i said getting hyped by something you haven't seen, hasn't been announced yet, and the production company is in a major mess at the moment is stupid. there is a difference between being a meathead saying that people can't like stuff you don't like and having a nuanced thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadow View Post
    I didnt play TBC at all...but Wrath for me is something of epic proportions...out of this world...legendary expansion.
    How do you think the rest of the world feels?
    Many people think LK was peak Wow, and I would agree. Regardless of the opinion on Classic LK, I doubt the company had the resources to pull that together.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    wrath was the last good expansion
    No. It was Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I'd enjoy it purely for the fact I can play a Blood DK DPS again.
    Frost tank was fun

They need to do fresh wotlk servers not any of this bs transfer your toon and gold

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    being hyped for something when the company is at it's absolute worst state in its history is just stupid.
    How does that make wotlk any less good? The product is not the company, the company is not the product. You completely lack logic.

Wrath will have a lot of hype because it was when the game was seen to be at its peak, but it won't last. While Vanilla and to a lesser extent TBC have an entirely different philosophy from retail and all other MMOs currently on the market, Wrath is, however effective it was at getting asses into seats in its day, essentially retail with worse raids and not much to do at max level. Unlike Vanilla the journey to max isn't the destination because player power relative to mobs has already been pushed hard in the player's favour. Naxx 2.0 was already lambasted back then when basically no one had done it, let alone when original Naxx has been beaten by much more people.

I will get some Schadenfreude out of seeing how apoplectic people would be if current day Blizz based a few months worth of a release entirely on ToC, especially if they decide to keep the "You must do this at every difficulty every week" aspect.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-12-07 at 06:20 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    wrath was the last good expansion
    Nah... it was the first BAD expansion.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    WotLK Classic will probably be hit harder by the nostalgia rebound than Vanilla and TBC was.
    Vanilla was inarguably unavailable to the average player, meaning it could coast on the idea that it was something players hadn't seen. The game itself also plays substantially different from later versions.
    TBC already couldn't fall back on reexploring something unavailable since Outland is literally right there. The game doesn't incentivize you actually doing the attunements or such, but it is actually there. It did however play differently, and close enough to Vanilla to still be a different kind of game.

WotLK is both completely available, but more importantly doesn't function much different from the current game.
    There are no attunement chains or open world questlines like the kind TBC had.
    And while the game has different mechanics in talents and such, that's really the only thing it has over going back and replaying WotLK right now.

WotLK will have a dedicated fanbase by those that prefer the raids and aesthetic and such, but I cannot imagine it will foster a playerbase from nothing when Shadowlands (or 10.0) will be right there with a larger playerbase, and Vanilla is there to give that proper old school RPG feel.
    WotLK suffers from being where the current raid or die paradigm in the game started.
    This is pretty much it.
    Though for me personally if I had to choose between Wrath or SL (or any expabsion after Wrath) I would pick Wrath without a doubt.

Anyone who doesn't think this will get more hype than Vanilla and TBC never played Wrath. It's that simple. Hell, people have been talking about "waiting around for Wrath..." since Classic first released. My guild has been week 1 full clear on all content and we all agree that we're just killing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    I will get some Schadenfreude out of seeing how apoplectic people would be if current day Blizz based a few months worth of a release entirely on ToC, especially if they decide to keep the "You must do this at every difficulty every week" aspect.
    That aspect will stay 100% because it's tied to Emblem of Triumph, which are used to buy tier sets.

And i think many people have forgotten that the daily heroic also becomes mandatory, because it also awards Emblem of Triumph, so if you want to get your Tier set ASAP, you gotta do ToC every week on every difficulty and do daily heroic every day.

It's just great reminder why the 2nd half of Wotlk sucked so hard, because the same shit will happen in ICC, where you also need Emblem of Frost in order to acquire Tier sets.

However, the big question in regards to ToC will be whether they keep the timegating, because initially ToC was timegated for a month, because the bosses only opened up in the following week.
    Only 1st boss was available during the 1st week.
    1st and 2nd during 2nd week.
    And so forth, and heroic (10 and 25) only opened up after you killed Anub'arak, so you had to wait 5(!) weeks until you were able to tackle heroic.

The Hype for WotLK will be huge.
    Not as huge as Classic was, becasue that re-release was an Event, but still huge. The nostalgia people have for WotLK is nuts. I see a lot of older players re-activating their accounts, buying a level boost and heading out to Northrend.

But the fall will also be brutal. In WotLk, leveling up is fast, gearing up is fast, clearing the raid is fast .... the servers will be half dead after a month. Seeing a burst of life on tuesday's evening for 3-4 hours and then back to sleep for a week. The only redeeming factor is that with 10man raids, i imagine a lot of more relaxed guilds will survive throught it.

A lot but it's going to hurt when people realize how easy the content is when every strat is already known and everyone is a meta gamer.

PVP server faction balance is also just not a thing on the classic realms anymore.

Getting your PVP gear from wintergrasp is going to be so painful.
    PVE gear and leggos will dominate arena to the point where its not gonna be fun if you don't have them. The wotlk PVP servers either ban or them or use them as FOMO for their cash shop.
    Hi Sephurik

That aspect will stay 100% because it's tied to Emblem of Triumph, which are used to buy tier sets.

And i think many people have forgotten that the daily heroic also becomes mandatory, because it also awards Emblem of Triumph, so if you want to get your Tier set ASAP, you gotta do ToC every week on every difficulty and do daily heroic every day.

It's just great reminder why the 2nd half of Wotlk sucked so hard, because the same shit will happen in ICC, where you also need Emblem of Frost in order to acquire Tier sets.

However, the big question in regards to ToC will be whether they keep the timegating, because initially ToC was timegated for a month, because the bosses only opened up in the following week.
    Only 1st boss was available during the 1st week.
    1st and 2nd during 2nd week.
    And so forth, and heroic (10 and 25) only opened up after you killed Anub'arak, so you had to wait 5(!) weeks until you were able to tackle heroic.
    Oh, Christ, the raid timegating, I completely forgot. I don't think even Blizzard are tonedeaf enough to follow the original content release schedule where every wing of ICC was two weeks apart. They'd be eaten alive.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Oh, Christ, the raid timegating, I completely forgot. I don't think even Blizzard are tonedeaf enough to follow the original content release schedule where every wing of ICC was two weeks apart. They'd be eaten alive.
    ...or limited attempts, perhaps it's not going to be as relevant but that also was a thing in both TotGC and ICC.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/limited...plained-137766

Ah, things that have been tried out in Wotlk and then went straight to the trash heap of history.

...or limited attempts, perhaps it's not going to be as relevant but that also was a thing in both TotGC and ICC.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/limited...plained-137766

Ah, things that have been tried out in Wotlk and then went straight to the trash heap of history.
    I remembered ToGC but had wiped that it was also in ICC from my memory. Suppressing trauma, clearly. Reading that comment section is a trip:

Quote Originally Posted by 3.3 era poster
    I like the attemp system. It makes that only good raid can get to the end and not just raid with lots of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.3 era poster 2
    It's their way of telling you to get better. Not that limited attempts seem to be affecting you at all, Captain badge gear.
    At least WotLK started and then upheld the tradition of the eons long end patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadow View Post
    I didnt play TBC at all...but Wrath for me is something of epic proportions...out of this world...legendary expansion.
    How do you think the rest of the world feels?
    what was your favorite part of wrath?

the introduction of in game store mounts?
    dungeon finder?
    vehicle combat?
    the oculus?
    wintergrasp?
    ruby sanctum?

10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of how anyone puts it for every Nostalrius there were always 2-3 WotLK servers with the same population. WotLK was always the most popular "classic" release.