Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Going back to right the wrong of Crossbell is probably a mistake imo...
    From my understanding it's not that big of an investment on NISA's part. Most of the work has been done already. Really it's just polish and getting the PC ports into an acceptable state. Crossbell doesn't really have a chance of being a huge money maker like the 3D Trails games are so NISA probably won't bother pouring a ton of marketing money into them. The Trails in the Sky games didn't sell many copies while at full price either; they only really started racking up a lot of sales when XSEED put them out on bargain bin discounts and in humble bundles so people just casually bought them during sales (but few actually bothered playing them). I'd imagine Crossbell will be the same way. Also doesn't hurt NISA either since Falcom doesn't open up bidding for the Western localization rights for their games until it releases in Japan, so in the mean time it doesn't hurt NISA for them to work on this on the side. The real question is why on earth is it taking so long to localize Hajimari, and it's not even a full sized Trails game. XSEED had less money than NISA and was able to put out their Trails games in less than two years and at top quality too.

Digital in Japan isn't meaningless but it's definitely no where near 66%. It's still a vast minority there. To put into perspective Sony ships 1/10th of PS5 digital editions as regulars to Japan. In rest of world it's 1/3rd. Japan is way slower then the west at digital and are not giving up their physical versions any time soon. Also the games are generally sold at full MSRP of like 8800 yen on the PSN digital store and physical stores sell them for 7800 yen or even cheaper in some cases, so that's another reason for digital probably not making up a significant portion of sales. Lets say they did 10-15k digital sales at most, and that is being incredibly generous.

Reverie being 2023 in the west is definitely a bad move for growth of the series. While having official localized versions of Crossbell will be great for long time fans it's not going to do anything to grow the franchise. Kuro has the potential to grow the franchise in the west, and that is now pushed to what late 2024 probably? Going back to right the wrong of Crossbell is probably a mistake imo...
    Yes. If this delay is because of Crossbell, it is definitly not worth it. They should prioritize new entries and release classics as they can.
    Also, that non-mainline side game was completely unecessary. It's not that i am not in favor of these releases, but not at the cost of advancing the series.

But, it's like i say. They need to review their aproach to how they are managing this series.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-10-08 at 12:53 PM.

I know I'm starting to lose interest because of how long this game takes to get over here. CS4 being kinda terrible doesn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    From my understanding it's not that big of an investment on NISA's part. Most of the work has been done already. Really it's just polish and getting the PC ports into an acceptable state. Crossbell doesn't really have a chance of being a huge money maker like the 3D Trails games are so NISA probably won't bother pouring a ton of marketing money into them. The Trails in the Sky games didn't sell many copies while at full price either; they only really started racking up a lot of sales when XSEED put them out on bargain bin discounts and in humble bundles so people just casually bought them during sales (but few actually bothered playing them). I'd imagine Crossbell will be the same way. Also doesn't hurt NISA either since Falcom doesn't open up bidding for the Western localization rights for their games until it releases in Japan, so in the mean time it doesn't hurt NISA for them to work on this on the side. The real question is why on earth is it taking so long to localize Hajimari, and it's not even a full sized Trails game. XSEED had less money than NISA and was able to put out their Trails games in less than two years and at top quality too.
    It's clearly more work for NISA then any of us imagine since Reverie is a late 2023 release which is 3 years after CS4 came out here. If it was just as simple as popping the fan translation in and releasing the games both games could of been out within months, not years and not delaying Reverie all that way out.

All the Cold Steel games are finally on sale on psn. Thinking of grabbing them all which might be insane because it will probably take awhile to get through all of them but damn it I really want to get through these games eventually lol.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    All the Cold Steel games are finally on sale on psn. Thinking of grabbing them all which might be insane because it will probably take awhile to get through all of them but damn it I really want to get through these games eventually lol.
    I'd definitely recommend the first two Cold Steel games. They're fantastic and among my most favorite games ever. The story of CS3+4 isn't as good, but if you played CS1+2 and liked the characters, the setting, the music, and the gameplay, then you'll still probably really like CS3+4.

If you can, I would recommend playing CS1+2 on PC, as XSEED (the localizer for the first two games) went above and beyond and recorded thousands of additional voice lines for those games. If you play on console then there are going to be a lot more unvoiced scenes, and some scenes will be inconsistently voiced with certain characters speaking while others remain silent (most notably the MC). It doesn't matter which platform you play CS3+4 are because NISA (the localizer of those two games) didn't bother recording extra voicelines to fill in the gaps.

I'd definitely recommend the first two Cold Steel games. They're fantastic and among my most favorite games ever. The story of CS3+4 isn't as good, but if you played CS1+2 and liked the characters, the setting, the music, and the gameplay, then you'll still probably really like CS3+4.

If you can, I would recommend playing CS1+2 on PC, as XSEED (the localizer for the first two games) went above and beyond and recorded thousands of additional voice lines for those games. If you play on console then there are going to be a lot more unvoiced scenes, and some scenes will be inconsistently voiced with certain characters speaking while others remain silent (most notably the MC). It doesn't matter which platform you play CS3+4 are because NISA (the localizer of those two games) didn't bother recording extra voicelines to fill in the gaps.

Oh really? That's too bad. Guess I'll get them on PC. I just assumed the ps4 versions were the same.

Oh really? That's too bad. Guess I'll get them on PC. I just assumed the ps4 versions were the same.
    Double checked. My mistake; XSEED did add the new voicelines into the PS4 rereleases of CS1+2 (it's the PS3 and Vita versions that don't have the extra voicelines).

Double checked. My mistake; XSEED did add the new voicelines into the PS4 rereleases of CS1+2 (it's the PS3 and Vita versions that don't have the extra voicelines).
    Ah that's good to know.

Ah that's good to know.
    Only problem with the PS4 versions is CS2 has a game breaking bug if you play it on PS5 that I'm not sure if they fixed yet. Otherwise they are exact 1:1 with the PC versions and even run at 4k 60 fps on PS4 Pro and PS5. If you're not playing on PS5 then the CS2 thing doesn't even matter, but if you are you can fix it by using a cloud save and advancing past the part on a PS4 and then transferring save back to PS5. People have got it to work on PS5 through messing with settings and brute force but it's just 1 spot after a certain cutscene so search that reddit thread if you have that issue unless XSeed/Falcom patched it.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-12-13 at 04:18 AM.

Only problem with the PS4 versions is CS2 has a game breaking bug if you play it on PS5 that I'm not sure if they fixed yet. Otherwise they are exact 1:1 with the PC versions and even run at 4k 60 fps on PS4 Pro and PS5. If you're not playing on PS5 then the CS2 thing doesn't even matter, but if you are you can fix it by using a cloud save and advancing past the part on a PS4 and then transferring save back to PS5. People have got it to work on PS5 through messing with settings and brute force but it's just 1 spot after a certain cutscene so search that reddit thread if you have that issue unless XSeed/Falcom patched it.
    I looked it up and I have no clue if the issue was ever fixed but it seems like people found a workaround for it at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah just saw that you mentioned the workaround.

Rei no Kiseki II: Crimson Sin has been announced. Coming Fall 2022 on PS4 and PS5 (in Japanese).

Quote Originally Posted by blackpink View Post
    meanwhile in na....
    Two more years until Hajimari/Reverie releases on PC. Really is a travesty that China, Korea, and SEA get simultaneous releases or a translation within a few weeks of the Japanese release, but the West has to wait upwards of 2-3 years. I find it hard to believe Falcom would go under by allowing their games to be translated into English during development, as again Falcom already allows that for localization into other Asian languages. Then again, Falcom's history has been defined by poor decision making and missed opportunities.

Two more years until Hajimari/Reverie releases on PC. Really is a travesty that China, Korea, and SEA get simultaneous releases or a translation within a few weeks of the Japanese release, but the West has to wait upwards of 2-3 years. I find it hard to believe Falcom would go under by allowing their games to be translated into English during development, as again Falcom already allows that for localization into other Asian languages. Then again, Falcom's history has been defined by poor decision making and missed opportunities.
    Even more laughable when they release their sales data and west is a full 10% ahead of the asian regions that get faster localization. What was it west 26% and Asia outside of japan 16%? Then they even admit west has the biggest room to grow. Not sure what the hell is going on here. Also not sure why the hell NISA is taking so long to officially release fan translations for crossbell that are finished what the hell is the hold up and bottle neck there about? Azure being a 2023 release is a giant WTF.

The JRPG bubble is as big as it's ever been in the west right now and they're squandering the opportunity to capitalize on it.

Even more laughable when they release their sales data and west is a full 10% ahead of the asian regions that get faster localization. What was it west 26% and Asia outside of japan 16%? Then they even admit west has the biggest room to grow. Not sure what the hell is going on here. Also not sure why the hell NISA is taking so long to officially release fan translations for crossbell that are finished what the hell is the hold up and bottle neck there about? Azure being a 2023 release is a giant WTF.

The JRPG bubble is as big as it's ever been in the west right now and they're squandering the opportunity to capitalize on it.
    Honestly, i have no idea what they are doing.

They should be releasing the latest titles as a priority. That is actual money being missed on by wasting the hype.

Like, literally a new title in the series just got announced. It should be a time of hype and instead people don't care. This is falcom/nisa's doing. They are wasting away goodwill and coverage atention by the bucket.

The crossbell series and nayuta will not make a bleep cause they are far outdated PSP games. That is not how you grow a brand.
    Like seriously, cold steel covers the noticeable aspects of crossbell. There was no need to do this just cause of hajimari/reverie.

Honestly, this is like namco turning around and saying tales of arise is delayed for 2 years while we release ps1 versions of phantasia, destiny and eternia on ps4. Like... wtf! It's completely unnaceptable.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-12-19 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Honestly, i have no idea what they are doing.

They should be releasing the latest titles as a priority. That is actual money being missed on by wasting the hype.

Like, literally a new title in the series just got announced. It should be a time of hype and instead people don't care. This is falcom/nisa's doing. They are wasting away goodwill and coverage atention by the bucket.

The crossbell series and nayuta will not make a bleep cause they are far outdated PSP games. That is not how you grow a brand.
    Like seriously, cold steel covers the noticeable aspects of crossbell. There was no need to do this just cause of hajimari/reverie.

Honestly, this is like namco turning around and saying tales of arise is delayed for 2 years while we release ps1 versions of phantasia, destiny and eternia on ps4. Like... wtf! It's completely unnaceptable.
    Pretty much new arc should of taken localization priority at NISA/Falcom because its a new jump in point for new fans. Most don't have time to invest 800 hours playing the entire damn series. Since the crossbell localizations where done by fans that's w/e but it shouldn't be taking up resources like it seemingly is just throw that ish on steam and digital only PS4/Switch for the die hards that care about it. Games run on all 3 platforms already and have a translation finished how is it taking 2 years to patch the fan translation into Switch and PS4 versions?

Reverie should also be taking a backseat at this point and when it's done release it it shouldn't be getting priority over the new arc. People that didn't play CS1-4 don't give a crap about Reverie, it's not going to bring in new fans.

Nayuta is a complete waste of time, irrelevant to both the franchise and to growing it in the west. It's just a crappy version of a YS game with a Trails name tagged on.

Kuro should of taken immediate priority and be releasing this fall, and kuro 2 next fall and could catch up on the other shit for the die hard fan base when Falcom takes an off year to make a trash Xanadu game or something.

Instead the west will get Kuro 1 in 2024, and 2 in 2025 lmfao. What a joke. How to not grow your franchise 101 right here.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-12-19 at 03:30 AM.

Since the crossbell localizations where done by fans that's w/e but it shouldn't be taking up resources like it seemingly is just throw that ish on steam and digital only PS4/Switch for the die hards that care about it.
    There is the possibility that NISA was mandated by Falcom to localize the Crossbell games, regardless of whether or not they make sense from a business standpoint. Apparently this happened before with XSEED. The story goes that Falcom told XSEED to localize Tokyo Xanadu, but at the time the EX+ rerelease had not yet been announced, so it didn't make sense for XSEED to incur the expense of localizing a Trails sized game that didn't have the brand name of Trails behind it (and thus wouldn't sell anywhere near as much) over simply localizing other games. So XSEED passed up on localizing TX, and that's apparently what led to Falcom dumping XSEED in favor of NISA. Perhaps NISA is in a similar situation where they feel they can't refuse localizing Crossbell for fear of losing out on Trails entirely.

Ofcourse, it is also possible that NISA's leadership sincerely believes that Crossbell is going to sell way more than we think it would, though I find that hard to believe.

Games run on all 3 platforms already and have a translation finished how is it taking 2 years to patch the fan translation into Switch and PS4 versions?
    That has me stumped as well.

Reverie should also be taking a backseat at this point and when it's done release it it shouldn't be getting priority over the new arc. People that didn't play CS1-4 don't give a crap about Reverie, it's not going to bring in new fans.
    Reverie released in Japan a year before Kuro. Falcom doesn't allow Western localization companies to begin localizing Falcom games until after they release in Japan, so after CS4 was released in the West, Reverie was literally the latest game that NISA could begin localizing for an entire year. It makes no sense to sit around not localizing it and waiting until Kuro comes in Japan to begin localizing that. Hajimari/Reverie is also a shorter game in length so the delay shouldn't be that much... theoretically. For some reason it seems to be taking just as long to come to the West as full length Trails games. Longer, in fact. CS1 and CS2 released in Japan in 2013 and 2014 respectively, and XSEED brought them to the West in 2015 and 2016. Two year delays. But NISA is somehow taking three years to bring a half length game to the West. Dunno what NISA is doing.

Nayuta is a complete waste of time, irrelevant to both the franchise and to growing it in the west. It's just a crappy version of a YS game with a Trails name tagged on.
    There are crack fan theories that Nayuta is somehow actually connected to Trails and will become plot relevant in the future and that's why it's being localized, but if it is then I find it hard to believe that Falcom would have actually told NISA that. Hatsuu said that Falcom didn't tell XSEED how to localize certain parts of the Trails games to properly foreshadow reveals in future games when it would have been in Falcom's interest to do so, hence why XSEED has had to backpeddle and update the scripts of old games when new info came out in newer games that XSEED didn't know about.

I'm thinking that the Nayuta localization may have been forced upon NISA like the Crossbell games.

There is the possibility that NISA was mandated by Falcom to localize the Crossbell games, regardless of whether or not they make sense from a business standpoint. Apparently this happened before with XSEED. The story goes that Falcom told XSEED to localize Tokyo Xanadu, but at the time the EX+ rerelease had not yet been announced, so it didn't make sense for XSEED to incur the expense of localizing a Trails sized game that didn't have the brand name of Trails behind it (and thus wouldn't sell anywhere near as much) over simply localizing other games. So XSEED passed up on localizing TX, and that's apparently what led to Falcom dumping XSEED in favor of NISA. Perhaps NISA is in a similar situation where they feel they can't refuse localizing Crossbell for fear of losing out on Trails entirely.

Ofcourse, it is also possible that NISA's leadership sincerely believes that Crossbell is going to sell way more than we think it would, though I find that hard to believe.

That has me stumped as well.

Reverie released in Japan a year before Kuro. Falcom doesn't allow Western localization companies to begin localizing Falcom games until after they release in Japan, so after CS4 was released in the West, Reverie was literally the latest game that NISA could begin localizing for an entire year. It makes no sense to sit around not localizing it and waiting until Kuro comes in Japan to begin localizing that. Hajimari/Reverie is also a shorter game in length so the delay shouldn't be that much... theoretically. For some reason it seems to be taking just as long to come to the West as full length Trails games. Longer, in fact. CS1 and CS2 released in Japan in 2013 and 2014 respectively, and XSEED brought them to the West in 2015 and 2016. Two year delays. But NISA is somehow taking three years to bring a half length game to the West. Dunno what NISA is doing.

There are crack fan theories that Nayuta is somehow actually connected to Trails and will become plot relevant in the future and that's why it's being localized, but if it is then I find it hard to believe that Falcom would have actually told NISA that. Hatsuu said that Falcom didn't tell XSEED how to localize certain parts of the Trails games to properly foreshadow reveals in future games when it would have been in Falcom's interest to do so, hence why XSEED has had to backpeddle and update the scripts of old games when new info came out in newer games that XSEED didn't know about.

I'm thinking that the Nayuta localization may have been forced upon NISA like the Crossbell games.
    Falcom mandating those games to take priority is even more baffling when you consider the new engine they created was optimized for PS4/PS5 and has yet to be ported over to Switch successfully. With the playstation market declining in Japan and them literally being optimized to make playstation games.... uhh you kind of need western sales homies. If Kuro 2 sales decline even further then Kuro 1 did they are in trouble domestically.

New engine should port well to PC all things considered so that also benefits western market with PS4/PS5 versions. If their engine doesn't work well on the Switch... Their future looks bleak in Japan. Considering Kuro 1 drops to 20 fps on PS4 I have doubts about that engine running well or at all on Switch.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-12-19 at 04:51 AM.

Finally finished Trails of Cold steel 1. Great game and already started 2.

Now I don't remember much of trails in the sky but did this series always make constant use of the tropes where you beat the villain in a fight and they then run away or them losing is somehow part of the plan?

Or is it just Cold Steel that's bad about this? It's not a big deal but it is a little annoying how unbeatable the villains come accross as.