Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm wondering if some of the lower ratings for the movie are from people who saw it in the theater? If I went out and spent $30 for a ticket, soda, and popcorn, instead of watching it on HBO Max, I think I'd probably have rated it a point or two lower than the pretty generous 5.5/10 that I gave it.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    "Red Pilled Bros still not getting the Matrix 22 years later"
    Bingo!
    Bingo!!
    I totally had this on my bingo card this year.

The role of Neo still fits Keanu Reeves like a glove, and him learning the truth about his existence, waking up to another whole new reality, and making it clear that he'd rather die than live life without Trinity by his side is just beautiful.

Angry people, have a lot of that Elon and Ivanka energy ...

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    8/10 I had a blast but was a bit annoyed at the pacing and actors from time to time, enjoyed the ability to backtrack and replay from streaming it, I loved the callbacks and selfirony in the movie but I can see why people would hate it as it’s easy to miss why it’s there and fits so well given how fast the movie explains itself at times, often after the fact which becomes a tall ask for the audience to keep track in a 2h20min movie and 4th instalment of a story set around an ever complex and convoluted topic.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2021-12-24 at 05:19 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

I was actually blown away by how bad this movie was. It was an incoherent mess from start to finish. I couldn't describe a single action scene in this movie. You just have no idea what is happening. The movie apes scenes from the first movie, shot for shot in many cases, and still fucks it up and leaves you confused about what's happening on screen. There was a lot of dialogue that I just couldn't understand, like the actors had to spit the words out too fast. It was really bizarre, top to bottom.

It was just... not good. At best, a below average action movie that doesn't make much sense. As a Matrix movie, somehow it's even worse than the 3rd in the trilogy.

Can you imagine watching this without having seen the first three movies? What a train wreck. Carrie-Anne Moss was the only redeeming quality.

The level of effort put into this movie is so low it's comical. I mean they unironically used 90s tv slow-mo repeatedly. Not even the cool after-image from the og movie, they just did slow motion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks like self-sabotage, as if the brainstorming scene is exactly what happened. WB wanted to make with or without Wachowski and Lana thought "If someone is to fuck this up, I will do it myself so there's no comming back to this franchise". Like every one pointed out, everyhting is off with this movie, from dialog, through fight choreography, to cinematography and editing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, now that was a cheap movie that didn't need to be made.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I think this movie probably looked really good on paper, and in concept it's really good. You can see signs of it in the movie itself and how it all ties into the previous movies and the meaning behind everything. The problem is that, when they translated it into a movie, it just isn't the same. How do you make a Matrix movie, a franchise, despite how you rate them, known for always having amazing choreography, and have it be non-existent? I think the meta stuff was kind of weird. I don't know why people comment about the pacing, because as far as I could tell, it was all really well paced. Pacing was the least of its problems.

For a movie as a whole, it's say it's decent. In fact I'd say it's probably the best in terms of story and meaning since the first one. For a Matrix movie, I'd say it's probably pretty shit.
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

They need to stop putting so much forced "fan service" in everything these days.

DAYUM this movie was bad.

I didn't expect much, but holy crap they delivered in all the wrong ways.

I especially loved the "self-aware" humor of the brainstorming sessions early on, about how the Matrix brand is all about originality and freshness - and then they deliver a movie that could not have been more rehashed if it came out of a freezer and into a microwave.

The high point for me was the cafe's name "Simulatte", that at least got a nose exhale. The rest was just suppressed gag reflex.

Really horrible movie, didn't have the spirit of the Matrix at all. Cast was entirely forgettable and absolutely nothing was explained. The only part I liked was the whole Neo and Trinity sharing the power of "The One". I always thought they completed each other, this was the only acceptable moment in the entire movie.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

I had pretty low expectations but it still managed to disappoint.

They really should have left it with Neo launching into sky with Rage Against the Machine blasting out.
    Last edited by Pann; 2021-12-24 at 11:10 PM.

I saw someone post an image somewhere else that pretty well encapsulates what I thought of the movie;

The only way they're going to stop regurgitating and shitting on everything that was good 20+ years ago is for audiences to be more critical and stop paying for this trash.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    The only way they're going to stop regurgitating and shitting on everything that was good 20+ years ago is for audiences to be more critical and stop paying for this trash.
    Uff... assuming everyone agrees with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    The only way to know the movie is trash - is to watch it, which means to pay for it. Sure you can watch it for free (like I did) but you won't count as a critic to the bean counters.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The only way to know the movie is trash - is to watch it, which means to pay for it. Sure you can watch it for free (like I did) but you won't count as a critic to the bean counters.
    I comes with a subscription for a lot of people. Or you can just sigh up for a free trial.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Well, I liked some of the new tech they had and at times the meta references in the first act were kinda fun, but overall it was a pretty mediocre installment. Better than the 3rd movie so I guess it has that going for it. The story was a convoluted mess by the end and the fight scenes (you know, one of the main things that made the first one a classic) were just so meh. If not for John Wick I'd wonder if Keanu was just too old for something like this. Ah well. If you've watched the first three and happen to have an HBO sub then might as well watch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I comes with a subscription for a lot of people. Or you can just sigh up for a free trial.
    If it comes with a subscription - you can't exactly vote with your wallet either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I saw someone post an image somewhere else that pretty well encapsulates what I thought of the movie;

[IMG]snip[/IMG]
    The Matrix Reloaded was utter trash as well though.