Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Man, I feel like it's usually another person of color that usually lives somewhere completely different, like the video of the cops arresting the Black guy in front of his home despite the fact that the guy with the actual warrant out looked nothing like the homeowner outside of being a Black man.

But like...a white dude? With convictions before this guy was even born?

Bare minimum the officers need to be fired and never work in law enforcement again. Bare minimum. Sadly we have qualified immunity so the lawsuits against the individual officers won't go anywhere. Shame taxpayers will once more have to pay for bad, racist cops rather than the cops having to pay their own financial penalties.

10+ Year Old Account
    "We investigated ourselves and found we did nothing wrong"

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/12/us/da...man/index.html

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The report also determined Owensby's allegations that officers threatened violence and mocked him were "unfounded."
    The police department's investigation faulted the two officers for muting their body-worn cameras during parts of the stop, and faulted one for a sarcastic remark to another officer caught on a supervisor's body-worn camera.
    I wonder why...

If there was ever a better moment to invoke "Who watches the watchmen?" I don't know what it would look like

Every time I hear about police misconduct on such level, I am instantly reminded of all films and tv-series where someone from internal affairs is portrayed as a slimy backstabbing asshole that works against the law itself by investigating cowboy cops.

That and the "If you request a lawyer without saying anything else, you basicaly admit to being guilty" trope makes me think that there is some form of condition from PD every time they are portrayed in fictional media.
    Last edited by Verdugo; 2022-01-14 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Every time I hear about police misconduct on such level, I am instantly reminded of all films and tv-series where someone from internal affairs is portrayed as a slimy backstabbing asshole that works against the law itself by investigating cowboy cops.
    Yeah...I've just started treating police shows/tv that lionize law enforcement the same way I do horror stuff with religious elements: They exist in an alternate reality where this stuff is actually real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Yeah...I've just started treating police shows/tv that lionize law enforcement the same way I do horror stuff with religious elements: They exist in an alternate reality where this stuff is actually real.
    You can find the occasional exception. Brooklyn 99, for instance; while it's mostly workplace comedy, when they do show law enforcement stuff it's always pretty professional and they usually show a lot of empathy for the people they've arrested.

The Rookie's been another one that didn't shie away from "bad cops" or "bad administrations". And when Nolan fucked around with a dirty cop, the guy framed him, and even though they managed to clear up the frame job, the slight crossing of the lines Nolan engaged got him pretty seriously penalized; as close to getting fired outright as he could get, and a permanent reprimand on his file that would essentially ruin any chances for most long-term growth of his career.

The real problem with those two shows, with 99 tried to deal with this season, is that while they lionize good policing in ways that's laudable, they present a police culture that's basically fantasy and not representative of real police forces. It's hard, because it's not enough to just say "police BAD", you need to be able to show "this is how police could be GOOD". Showing how it should be is just as important as pointing out how it shouldn't be, and it's not really plausible to combine the two as systemic examples in the same show.

But they're not bullshit "this abusive fuck of a cop is a good guy, actually" cocksucking like Bluebloods, though, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    B99 is very unrealistic.
    All cop shows are very unrealistic.

B99 has the excuse that it's a sitcom.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    B99 is very unrealistic.
    Peralta wouldn't have lost his job if the show was being realistic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    That and the "If you request a lawyer without saying anything else, you basicaly admit to being guilty" trope makes me think that there is some form of condition from PD every time they are portrayed in fictional media.
    Welcome to copaganda.

There's a reason why major police departments have specific departments for assisting media. It gives them a functional veto over the show contents, which they use to ensure that they are always shown in a sterling light.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

There's a reason why major police departments have specific departments for assisting media. It gives them a functional veto over the show contents, which they use to ensure that they are always shown in a sterling light.
    Yes and no. That's how the communications/media relations folks operate now, but the departments have very valid reasons for existing. Having your every-day cops answering media questions, or even leadership, and responding to inquiries isn't a great use of their time (assuming they're using it well to begin with) and they don't necessarily have the training/skills necessary to do that job well.

Having a few folks who are specifically handling press inquiries at a large department is, fundamentally, a good thing. It allows for them to focus on that job and ideally allow for speedier responses and better quality communication.

The problems are...well, that it's a department of police departments which are still deeply untrustworthy given their current behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yes and no. That's how the communications/media relations folks operate now, but the departments have very valid reasons for existing. Having your every-day cops answering media questions, or even leadership, and responding to inquiries isn't a great use of their time (assuming they're using it well to begin with) and they don't necessarily have the training/skills necessary to do that job well.
    No, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm meaning specific departments that interact with TV show makers, not people who interact with news media.

See the history of Dragnet, for example.

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/...gnored/395591/

No, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm meaning specific departments that interact with TV show makers, not people who interact with news media.

See the history of Dragnet, for example.

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/...gnored/395591/
    Are there modern examples of this though? I'm poking around a bit and most media teams I see are mostly focused on dealing with news media, not entertainment media.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...ppies-1285167/

https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1299796-based-stickman

Eyo, PPB still look like a bunch of authoritarian alt-right fucks. No wonder they're still under federal review after all these years, maybe the feds need to start cleaning house.

The mayor’s office — despite having had months to investigate — could not say who added the slide to the presentation, nor when, or even how or if it was shown to officers. While the exact provenance of the slide remains unclear, its links to the “Alt-Knights” has troubling implications. The Southern Poverty Law Center describes the Fraternal Order of the Alt-Knights the “tactical defense arm” of the Proud Boys.
    Yo, is there no email chain? No version history? I mean, we know there's no accountability for cops and all but like, I didn't think it also extended to an inability to check previous versions of a presentation to see when a slide was added in.

Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell released a statement calling the message of the slide “contrary to PPB’s values,” adding that it is “not representative of the Portland Police Bureau and it is disappointing to all of us who work so hard to earn the community’s trust.”
    And I don't think anyone believes this bullshit anymore. This absolutely represents the values of the PPB, as evidenced by their previous and ongoing behavior, including the ongoing federal investigation by the DoJ for racial profiling during the summer protests.

That nobody internally at the department flagged this and that it was only uncovered as the mayors office was preparing to defend against upcoming litigation, doubly shows that yes, these are 100% the values of the entirety of the PPB.

ACAB, yo.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's an article showing an overly aggressive police officer being pulled away by another cop. Gives me hope that maybe more cops will start to police themselves so to speak.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...edgdhp&pc=U531

It would have been nice if any of the other cops had the balls to do something instead of just one; but it's something.

Quote Originally Posted by Taifuu View Post
    Here's an article showing an overly aggressive police officer being pulled away by another cop. Gives me hope that maybe more cops will start to police themselves so to speak.

It would have been nice if any of the other cops had the balls to do something instead of just one; but it's something.
    The fact that the other cops on scene just stood there doing nothing while the one good cop was getting choked out by a man that looks about twice her size has me feeling the opposite. Looks like there were at least 3 other cops on scene... breaking that down percentage wise...20% of the police on scene acted appropriately in that situation.

But the fact that the sergeant's name (Christopher Pullease) phoenitically sounds like "Christopher Police" is incredibly funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    The fact that the other cops on scene just stood there doing nothing while the one good cop was getting choked out by a man that looks about twice her size has me feeling the opposite. Looks like there were at least 3 other cops on scene... breaking that down percentage wise...20% of the police on scene acted appropriately in that situation.
    His hand was on her throat for maaaaybe half a second before moving to her uniform collar. There was literally no squeezing, let alone "getting choked out". The whole interaction takes like 3 seconds before he turns around again. I'm not sure what kind of superhuman reaction time you're expecting the other officers to have.

I mean, clearly you didn't watch the video and just wanted to talk shit, but c'mon.

I'm fine with this guy getting fired, because that shouldn't ever happen, but this situation isn't helped by you lying about it. And while the other officers didn't have enough time to stop the sergeant from putting his hands on the female officer, they should have been helping her pull him back in the first place, so there's that.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    His hand was on her throat for maaaaybe half a second before moving to her uniform collar. There was literally no squeezing, let alone "getting choked out". The whole interaction takes like 3 seconds before he turns around again. I'm not sure what kind of superhuman reaction time you're expecting the other officers to have.
    They seem to have that "superhuman reaction time" whenever an unarmed black man is around...

They should have had hands on him immediately.

I mean, clearly you didn't watch the video and just wanted to talk shit, but c'mon.
    Sorry, I see a man put his hand on a woman's throat.. I don't need to ask "well, did he squeeze though?".

I'm fine with this guy getting fired, because that shouldn't ever happen, but this situation isn't helped by you lying about it. And while the other officers didn't have enough time to stop the sergeant from putting his hands on the female officer, they should have been helping her pull him back in the first place, so there's that.
    Like I said... 20% of the officers on scene were acting appropriately.

I can't believe you're coming at me because i'm not being "fair" to this piece of shit.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2022-01-15 at 06:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should have had hands on him immediately.
    Yup, okay, you're only interested in shittalking.

Sorry, I see a man put his hand on a woman's throat.. I don't need to ask "well, did he squeeze though?".
    That's because you don't give a shit about the facts, as evidenced by your immediate characterization of it as "getting choked out".

Saying anything more to you at this point is just a waste of time because your perspective is divorced from reality. Have fun getting the last word in if you want.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Yup, okay, you're only interested in shittalking.

That's because you don't give a shit about the facts, as evidenced by your immediate characterization of it as "getting choked out".

Saying anything more to you at this point is just a waste of time because your perspective is divorced from reality. Have fun getting the last word in if you want.
    Go fuck yourself... good on you for defending the piece of shit cop that attacks handcuffed men and women half his size.

You can consider that as me getting "the last word in"

Go fuck yourself... good on you for defending the piece of shit cop that attacks handcuffed men and women half his size.

You can consider that as me getting "the last word in"
    Stating facts is defending people, now ?

As for the other cops, they clearly fear the sergeant as we can see how they move out of his way when he goes into the other car. They simply did not know how to react and I can understand why. Can you ?