Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/26/10757...-court-retires

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer is retiring after serving more than two decades on the nation's highest court, Supreme Court and Biden administration sources tell NPR.

Breyer — professorial, practical, and moderately liberal — wrote many of the court's legally important but less glamorous decisions and sought, behind the scenes, to build consensus for centrist decisions on a conservative court.

Breyer's retirement gives President Biden his first opportunity to name a new justice to the court. During the 2020 campaign, he pledged to name an African American woman if he got the chance. The two leading contenders are said to be federal Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, who was on President Obama's shortlist for the court in 2016, and California Supreme Court Justice Leondra Kruger, who served as assistant, and then deputy solicitor general in both Democratic and Republican administrations prior to her nomination to California's highest court.
    I wonder if Ginsberg's death and followed turmoil had anything to do with his decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    You think McConnell will insist upon waiting until 2024 to put in another Supreme Court justice “to make sure the will of the people is enforced?”
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Should nominate Hilary for lulz. Just imagine the copium.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You think McConnell will insist upon waiting until 2024 to put in another Supreme Court justice “to make sure the will of the people is enforced?”
    You know, re-reading the while "Will of the people" thing now makes sense since the GOP have made it increasingly clear they don't consider most of the population "people"...

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    I wonder if Ginsberg's death and followed turmoil had anything to do with his decision.
    It didn't. He's said as much, explicitly, when there was pressure on him to resign.

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/justic...s-gop-n1286656

Just because conservatives play political games with the SCOTUS doesn't mean liberals view it the same way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    https://www.npr.org/2022/01/26/10757...-court-retires

Oh maybe because he is old and figures it's time to retire for his and the country's sake? The US is one of the few countries where we'll let someone hold office until they are 1002.

Poor Ginsberg only stayed as long as did because the system is stupid and she wanted to be replaced with a liberal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Oh course. If McConnell is one thing it's being consistent in his party over country stance

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    The supreme court is such a joke of an institution now they should name a vegetable and I would be fine with that.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    That would be awesome, just to see the Trumphadi's lose their shit. Biden coming out the next week, "just kidding".

Really, though we need a brilliant 30ish black woman as a nominee.

Naw man, nominate Ted Cruz and then vote him down first. kek

This is not a serious post.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Naw man, nominate Ted Cruz and then vote him down first. kek

This is not a serious post.
    Trying to kill Manchin with such a tough decision there, I see.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Really, though we need a brilliant 30ish black woman as a nominee.
    Has Biden not already stated that his first pick would be an African American woman

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The supreme court is such a joke of an institution now they should name a vegetable and I would be fine with that.
    It might seem that way to those that don't know how the laws in this country work, but in reality it's one of the few things keeping fascism at bay.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no doubt the Republicans will hold this open until there is a Republican president. Whether that's in 2, 6, or 10 years they will do it.

And I look forward to the right wing posters tying themselves into pretzels trying to justify this with whatever lame talking points they get.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I have no doubt the Republicans will hold this open until there is a Republican president. Whether that's in 2, 6, or 10 years they will do it.

And I look forward to the right wing posters tying themselves into pretzels trying to justify this with whatever lame talking points they get.
    They can't. With a razor thin Democratic majority, we can nominate anyone we want, so long as all the Dem Senators vote yes. Sienna and Manchin should get in line for this. If they don't, we're fucked, because we'll lose the Senate in 2022 and yeah, Moscow Mitch won't confirm anyone until Jan 2025.

10+ Year Old Account
    They can't.
    Really? after all the nonsense we've seen with just outright breaking rules and sometimes laws we're still going with "they can't"??

With a razor thin Democratic majority, we can nominate anyone we want, so long as all the Dem Senators vote yes. Sienna and Manchin should get in line for this. If they don't, we're fucked, because we'll lose the Senate in 2022 and yeah, Moscow Mitch won't confirm anyone until Jan 2025.
    I mean...you basically just agreed with me -- because if there is one thing we've learned it is that we can't rely on them for anything. Do you really think Manchin will accept anything other than republican-lite nominee?
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Really? after all the nonsense we've seen with just outright breaking rules and sometimes laws we're still going with "they can't"??

I mean...you basically just agreed with me -- because if there is one thing we've learned it is that we can't rely on them for anything. Do you really think Manchin will accept anything other than republican-lite nominee?
    Because the GQP doesn't control the Senate, they "can't" - so that was an accurate statement.

However, yeah, the shitbirds could make this very tough, or get us a shitty candidate. I honestly can't predict what Manchin will do. Nor Sienna.

thought he would rbg it tbh, pleasant surprise.

Now its just Sinema and Manchin who have made it their brand to say no to the Dems who are the problem. (assuming Reps whip against as they probably will)

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    thought he would rbg it tbh, pleasant surprise.

Now its just Sinema and Manchin who have made it their brand to say no to the Dems who are the problem. (assuming Reps whip against as they probably will)
    Really glad he came to his senses - I'm sure he was aware of the issues involved in waiting, and if he wasn't, someone on Biden's staff more than likely told him.

Yeah - we'll see how they handle this. All signs point to "badly".

I hope the woman won't be a boomer.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

It might seem that way to those that don't know how the laws in this country work, but in reality it's one of the few things keeping fascism at bay.
    ROFLMAO, Do you think for one moment that when the GOP enact their Jim Crow laws to put Trump in power that this so called supreme court won't rubber stamp it? These justices were put on the court for the sole purpose of throwing it down the drain for their political power.