Poll: Do you like Turalyon as a character? Is he particularly good or interesting?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Lightbulb Do you like Turalyon as a character? Is he particularly good or interesting?

Turalyon was a central character in the older novels and Warcraft franchise, and has been part of the Valley of Heroes in Stormwind since Vanilla. Now that he is the High Exarch of the Army of the Light and the de-facto King of Stormwind, and will very likely play a major role in a future expansion based in the Light and Void, what do most Alliance and Horde players think of him anyway?

Do you have a positive or negative opinion of him, and is he a particularly good or interesting character? If he has flaws or problems, what could be done to improve them?

Last edited by OwenBurton; 2022-04-25 at 04:15 AM.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

Well... Honestly to me it's complicated. Any time someone supplants one of the iconic leaders, we're left with uncertainty of what they'll be capable of doing.

Will he turn into his own thing or will he become an example of other leaders like Thrall, Garrosh, Sylvanas, Anduin, or Varian. Since he became the new ruler of Stormwind. He seems focused on reviving the old Alliance aka the old human kingdoms and he's already got Stormgarde under Alliance occupation. Now he wants the other kingdoms back as well like Southshore, Hillsbrad, Gilneas, and Lordaeron. (Alterac seems like a hard maybe).

A friend of mine on Discord did suggest that it might be only phase 1, while phase 2 is him trying to get access to the Sunwell in Quel'danas and will try to get in good graces with Lor'themar... provided that Alleria doesn't go near the Sunwell.

Though the big concern about Turalyon is that, he isn't like Anduin. Anduin is a pacifist and will try to find the one route that doesn't hurt both sides the most... Turalyon isn't like that. This is a man who was ready to attack Illidan for killing a Naaru.

Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good man in past lore, Bit blind when it came to following Xe'ra as he did. And he didn't shy from doing what he needed to and was willing to take a stand as a man and a leader.

UNLIKE his friend Khadgar who hid in a tower and only now is gonna show back up...

We have yet to see if he will turn to the all follow the light without question and whether he would force others to comply.
    Fate is one you forge with your own two hands.

5+ Year Old Account
    I like him but he is not that interesting. I have neutral thoughts about him. It’s not that I care about him or anything. He is just there.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    He’s just generic paladin 247, him uther and tirion might as well all be the same character.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    He’s just generic paladin 247, him uther and tirion might as well all be the same character.
    Uther, Turalyon and Tirion where literally part of the first 5 Paladins in the world. I’m not really sure that qualifies has generic. Uther has some ingame lore but most of the character building of Turalyon was done in the books. Personally I really rooted for him when he came back but I’m not sure I really like the character he is in the games

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    That would be a pretty convoluted character arc...

TLDR version;
    - founds an order of knights, basically by himself
    - goes on the offensive trough the dark portal to battle orcs and pretty much vanishes there
    - is exiled for helping out an orc
    - takes on a paladin student (in exile?), who happens to be the prince
    - the student kills him and most of the kingdom
    - somehow returns to life years later to lead the offensive against his former student
    - gets killed once again on the broken shore
    - somehow gets revived to lead the offensive on argus
    - somehow he's also been dead the whole time, with a broken soul in SL

That reads like Goku from DBZ (which is a lot worse than even Danuser's story).

Like most Alliance characters I find him overall uninteresting and overrated.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

He's deeply boring and his only hope for rehabilitation is to enact an extreme jihad. Yrel managed it, now it's his turn.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like him, even if it's because he's a generic paladin. He's a symbol of the "Old Guard" of a the Alliance, and a relic of he previous wars. I don't think every character needs to be nuanced or "grey". I like that he's will Alleria and there's a Light/Void tension (and yes the human male/female elf trope is old I know, sue me). He's just a cool veteran hero.

BUT I absolutely, completely, hate the idea that he was made immortal and spent 10,000 years fighting demons in space. It just devalues everything. After that much time, how does anything on Azeroth have relevance to him? How does he remember Khadgar's face, or where Stormwind is? Why does he bother returning after that long? What would have made sense is "We spent all this time lost in space fighting demons". It still would have been a long time, the character development would have been the same, and you don't need to make him immortal and have us wondering how 10,000 years of space war changed him. That's probably my biggest gripe with all WoW lore. Yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

7+ Year Old Account
    He is boring. He's just paladin man that spent over 1000 years fighting demons and only won because of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromeshellking View Post
    Good man in past lore, Bit blind when it came to following Xe'ra as he did.
    To be fair, he had been following it for a thousand years relative time, had made him "eternal" (wether immortal or just long lived, TBD) and had helped him and the Army of the Light fight the Burning Legion. I could see why he'd give it the benefit of the doubt over a fel-corrupted elf that was now clearly demonic.

He was great when he had actual depth: when he doubted himself, struggled, and wasnt all important.

Then they retconned the ever loving shit out of him and made him always a super powerful paladin and also a primary reason, if not thee primary reason the Alliance ever formed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Uther, Turalyon and Tirion where literally part of the first 5 Paladins in the world. I’m not really sure that qualifies has generic. Uther has some ingame lore but most of the character building of Turalyon was done in the books. Personally I really rooted for him when he came back but I’m not sure I really like the character he is in the games
    done in the books, then retconned. The old canon was retconned entirely for him.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    had good origins and lore. basically butchered like everything else in this franchise and pidgeonholed into being a staunch goody two-shoes who obeyed space windchimes without question.

he will no doubt get the villain bat now that hes leader; especially since Blizzard has exhausted the Horde of basically all of their leadership and has set the rest of them up to be pseudo-peaceniks that will still commit genocide on occasion and get off scott free.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

I'm not particularly interested in Turalyon. He is not quite the goody shoe as many other characters nowadays. Allowing Alleria to torture a orc mother in front of her young son with Void magic to get information about Sylvanas at least suggests, that Turalyon is capable to create some conflict and tension, which can drive a story potentially.

I hate his armor though. He should have a proper human or even Lordaeron inspired paladin armor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhart11 View Post
    I hate his armor though. He should have a proper human or even Lordaeron inspired paladin armor.
    Definitely, As good as the armor looks it doesnt belong on a Human leader. He looks entirely out of place in it no matter the locale.

I always envisioned him being in a well maintained, but worn out Lordaeronian armor set. One that has battle scars and broken plates but is held together by makeshift repairs and still holds well. A symbolism of what a Paladin embodies in physical form: a tool for protection that will fight on despite it being impossibly broken beyond normal repair.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Where's the "I don't care" option? This would express my genuine feelings.

I don't care about either Turalyon or his Lightforged as anything more than a plot device to have more Alleria and Void elves, since where there is Turalyon there is also Alleria, where there is Light there is also Void.

But it's not like I dislike him; I need him to stay alive and be relevant because that's a good way to remind Blizzard that the Void elves exist (after they were completely omitted from 8.3, I think Blizzard might have forgotten about them, so they need a reminder).

Consequently, I rejoice now that Turalyon is King of Stormwind and High King of the Alliance, because it undoubtedly means spotlight for Alleria too!

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    He was great when he had actual depth: when he doubted himself, struggled, and wasnt all important.

Then they retconned the ever loving shit out of him and made him always a super powerful paladin and also a primary reason, if not thee primary reason the Alliance ever formed.

- - - Updated - - -

done in the books, then retconned. The old canon was retconned entirely for him.
    Where was it retconned exactly?

10+ Year Old Account
    I hoped since Warcraft 2 (where I kinda like him and thought he was cool) they'd give him more character, he's pretty bland at the moment. Even in the Tides of war book he had his moments but otherwise was pretty bland when put up against other Sons of Lothar members Alleria, or Khadgar or Kurdran, I would like to see more Danath though.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-04-25 at 09:52 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    When they all have the same personality I’d say it counts. There all just generic good guys who aren’t to strict in there following of the light willing to work with darker forces as long as there not pants on head evil.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    That would be a pretty convoluted character arc...

TLDR version;
    - founds an order of knights, basically by himself
    - goes on the offensive trough the dark portal to battle orcs and pretty much vanishes there
    - is exiled for helping out an orc
    - takes on a paladin student (in exile?), who happens to be the prince
    - the student kills him and most of the kingdom
    - somehow returns to life years later to lead the offensive against his former student
    - gets killed once again on the broken shore
    - somehow gets revived to lead the offensive on argus
    - somehow he's also been dead the whole time, with a broken soul in SL

That reads like Goku from DBZ (which is a lot worse than even Danuser's story).
    Life wise they vary but they all share the same carbon copy personality to the point where if you swapped any of them into each other rolls you could see the story play out the exact same.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.