Poll: Do you like Turalyon as a character? Is he particularly good or interesting?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I liked him when he wasn't a 1000 year old space marine general of an alien army. Blizzard loves to overwrite good backstories with meaningless bullshit.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

7+ Year Old Account
    Human paladin with elf wife

so original
    wow
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

He's the least interesting paladins of them all, and there are some generic paladins out there alright.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Turalyon had some pretty cool moments in Legion, but his story is pretty messed up in regard to his origins in WC2 and his ultimate trajectory as of Legion. I'd say he's interesting enough, but the jury's out on whether that's the good or bad kind of interesting.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    He’s just generic paladin 247, him uther and tirion might as well all be the same character.
    It's actually such a shame. Turalyon has the potential to be the single most interesting Light (or Light-aligned) character in Warcraft, but Blizzard appears to be afraid to lean into this. Everyone seems to forget exactly how cruel the Light is and how Turalyon didn't just go along with it, but agreed with horrible actions like forcibly containing Alleria for simply learning about the Void. Instead, it seems as though Turalyon has been put by the wayside for Calia, and her unnatural state of being, to take center stage for any Light-based dangers (though, perhaps they opted to have one per faction).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Turalyon had some pretty cool moments in Legion, but his story is pretty messed up in regard to his origins in WC2 and his ultimate trajectory as of Legion. I'd say he's interesting enough, but the jury's out on whether that's the good or bad kind of interesting.
    Imagine how cool a Light expansion could have been if we came back to a future Azeroth (short time-skip), and we have Turalyon and the Lightforged enforcing "the path of righteousness" taught to them by Xe'ra, which had previously led to them forcibly imprisoning Alleria for simply wanting to learn about the Void.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    It's actually such a shame. Turalyon has the potential to be the single most interesting Light (or Light-aligned) character in Warcraft, but Blizzard appears to be afraid to lean into this. Everyone seems to forget exactly how cruel the Light is and how Turalyon didn't just go along with it, but agreed with horrible actions like forcibly containing Alleria for simply learning about the Void. Instead, it seems as though Turalyon has been put by the wayside for Calia, and her unnatural state of being, to take center stage for any Light-based dangers (though, perhaps they opted to have one per faction).

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine how cool a Light expansion could have been if we came back to a future Azeroth (short time-skip), and we have Turalyon and the Lightforged enforcing "the path of righteousness" taught to them by Xe'ra, which had previously led to them forcibly imprisoning Alleria for simply wanting to learn about the Void.
    Ya if he had any back bone in his following of the light he’d be a fat more interesting character.

Instead we have illidan blowing up his angel and tellinghim to just get over it and he does, his wife almost taints the sun well and then comes back with more void tainted elfs and he doesn’t care, and then helping her use the void to shatter peoples minds.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Turalyon as a character by himself is much more interesting than every bit of lore and characters from Dragonflight combined. Needless to say that an expansion with Turalyon as a main character will also feature other interesting elements too including the Light/Void as the primary focus.

But for now the vocal community got their MoP 2.0 so I hope they won't complain about it.

He is human, a paladin, banged an elf chick and spawned a half elf, so of course I don't like the guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    That would be cool. I saw a different idea posted somewhere else where a future Turalyon became distrustful of the Light following the events with Illidan and Xe'ra, and with some prodding from Alleria decided to forsake it and took up the Void as well, becoming the first of a new iteration of Void-aligned Paladins who replace their use of the Light with that the Void. Regardless, anything that would give Turalyon some uniqueness of personality would be all to the good because as it stands he's more your run of the mill, basic Paladin, without much to really make him stand out - a bit of an issue for a lot of WoW's NPC Paladins, come to think of it.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Complicated I'd say. All his lore prior to Legion is largely irrelevant at this point what with the throwaway lines about the army of light fighting the Legion for a period of time that doesn't match the actual time that passed in lore and his reintroduction not being much more than the newest special-est paladin of the 'better' version of all prior paladin orders there isn't much that is good or bad about his current character or to quote what others have said he's a bit boring... tho not ruined... yet. I guess his aversion to his... are Turalyon and Alleria married? *googles* says they're lovers with a kid, his aversion to his lovers choice to embrace the force that directly opposed (at least used to in lore) the powers he opted to be lightforged by at least brings some conflict but there hasn't actually been much development of that done as of yet.

Basically they could do something interesting with his character in the future... or ruin it, atm he's just... there.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    When they all have the same personality I’d say it counts. There all just generic good guys who aren’t to strict in there following of the light willing to work with darker forces as long as there not pants on head evil.
    I somehow missed the retcon lore for Turalyon so i cant speak to that - but i can say that Uther and Turalyion are definitely different personalities if you take uther from wc3 and Turalyon from the books.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to love his concept and story until he was brought back as a light forged fanatic that needed a traumatic event (The shattering of Xe'ra) to realize that the path he had followed wasn't completely straight. They then popped his head open, and added some OP-juice by pouring down 1000 years of battle experience and leadership, and turning him immortal. Now, sitting on a throne for the Alliance, having his core allegiance to the light and not the crown, has a wife who is everything opposite of what his belief is.

I like his model, without the golden armor, but as he is portrayed now, he feels off for me. He doesn't feel like a veteran of the Alliance, of the Silver Hand, but just another foot soldier in the unending "cosmic" war.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    I somehow missed the retcon lore for Turalyon so i cant speak to that - but i can say that Uther and Turalyion are definitely different personalities if you take uther from wc3 and Turalyon from the books.
    In the past sure they three were more varied, uther was the generic good one, Turalyon was the crusading avenger, Tirion was the excommunicated trying to rebuild
    Him self and his order.

But the latest point of each all blend together as the good guy vouching for some light opposed faction (DK’s, Void, forsworn/sylvanas) without any real will
    To sand up for the light.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

He's alright. I like that he's complicated and brings a bit of an edge to the Alliance, but I'm kind of hoping he doesn't go full on "zealot of the light" like everyone expects him to. I just think that'd be a boring way to develop a character who otherwise seems to be pretty reasonable and stable.

I think a lot of people have, in their minds, shaped him into something he's not just because of the single cutscene with Illidan. His wife delves into the void and although his instinctive reaction was to try to kill him, he did eventually accept and put aside Illidan literally killing a naaru right in front of him. He was also pretty quick to come around to Faol and the Forsaken. The dude's been shown so far to be pretty level-headed, especially considering he's a thousand-year war veteran at this point.

I just hate that they will likely turn him into a tyrannical zealot. "Ooh, the Light isn't actually good" blah blah
    Google doc with all plate mogs complete with import codes! PLATE TRANSMOG-O-RAMA

3+ Year Old Account
    he aight

looking forward to see what he thinks of the Argent Lordaeronians and their neutrality
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    To be fair, he had been following it for a thousand years relative time, had made him "eternal" (wether immortal or just long lived, TBD) and had helped him and the Army of the Light fight the Burning Legion. I could see why he'd give it the benefit of the doubt over a fel-corrupted elf that was now clearly demonic.
    I mean, that fel-corrupted elf that was "clearly demonic" was being forced to join the light against his will. If it were me, I'd do the same. But fuck choices right?

Absolutely positive opinion of him. He is one of the few (last?) remaining iconic heroes of old. A good guy Paladin, who's led the Alliance into saving the world. I hope they don't turn their trash writing on him and make him into an idiotic zealot that is suddenly the new bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I used to love his concept and story until he was brought back as a light forged fanatic that needed a traumatic event (The shattering of Xe'ra) to realize that the path he had followed wasn't completely straight. They then popped his head open, and added some OP-juice by pouring down 1000 years of battle experience and leadership, and turning him immortal. Now, sitting on a throne for the Alliance, having his core allegiance to the light and not the crown, has a wife who is everything opposite of what his belief is.

I like his model, without the golden armor, but as he is portrayed now, he feels off for me. He doesn't feel like a veteran of the Alliance, of the Silver Hand, but just another foot soldier in the unending "cosmic" war.
    Let's hope they dial back all the co(s)mic nonsense and return the character to his paladin origins. A strong religious leader representing the Alliance of old could be a strong foundation for future narratives. He should also definitely kick the heathens and beasts out of the Silver Hand.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

He didn't really do anything yet, did he? He was sidetracked in Legion and has done nothing in SL other than keeping the throne warm.